Songs in A&E - Editions

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

ebbsandflows
Known user

Re: Songs in A&E - Editions

Post by ebbsandflows »

Got my green vinyl on saturday (nice early bonus). I was pretty scared actually that this would be the final straw that would see me and spiritualized part musical ways. That i would have to find a new band to eulogise about. That I would have to search for new records to play to medicate the bad thing. That Spiritualized would go the way of New Model Army (the memory makes be shudder) and my old best friend David Saunders. A nice memory of what was but is no more.

My fears have been allayed. Whilst not yet a masterpiece (i am still cautious), fuck it's georgous. In places exceptionally so. The clarinet and violin duet in waves crash in (?) is stunning. It reminds me oddly (and goodly) of a studio ghibli scene. Any scene. The Harmony kline(SP?) duet too is incredible. I am enthrall again. I may even now buy a ticket for one of the upcoming gigs. I may buy the delux packaging CD.

I may even slap on thunder and consolation and give David a bell . . .
johnnyboy72
Known user

Post by johnnyboy72 »

Not sure if this has been posted before but a pic of the deluxe cd is on play.com

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/5380241 ... oduct.html

How does a dvd sized booklet fit on the cd shelf?? Worth the extra fiver? Anyone got one yet?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

dselevan2 wrote:This whole fight with Spzretent started when I said that the green vinyl, 500 copy edition from Rough Trade was an amazing deal.
It started because you said the Pharmacy was listing items they had no access to. Which was incorrect.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

johnnyboy72 wrote:Not sure if this has been posted before but a pic of the deluxe cd is on play.com

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/5380241 ... oduct.html

How does a dvd sized booklet fit on the cd shelf?? Worth the extra fiver? Anyone got one yet?
I'd say it is worth it, but then again I hate jewel cases. You don't reall get much more in terms of artwork though, most of the pages are just individual pictures of those little needle things.

As an object, it is a really nice way of packaging a CD, but I suppose it just depends whether you're happy to pay an extra fiver for a nicer object - I know for a lot of bands I wouldn't.
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

Just picked one up. It's well nice (but will look dirty soon). I thought there was a poster? Where does the poster come from?
rhyser
New user

Post by rhyser »

i feel a bit cheated for paying an extra 7 quid for a few pictures of catheters or whatever they are. the photography is terrible as well, really grainy. compared to LAGWAFIS and Let it come Down, this packaging is a big let down.

still, it's the music that counts and this is the best album since Ladies & Gents imo...
johnnyboy72
Known user

Post by johnnyboy72 »

Back from lunch. I opted for the normal cd version. Glad I did really as I'm not sure the extra ££'s is worth it for photos of medical equipment. The normal insert sleeve folds out into a poster showing the objects with the other side showing the lyrics (is this a Spiritualized first??) and album info. Quite nice having lyrics to look at I must say. None for 'Yeah Yeah' though, why is that?
Just noticed the spine is just plain white with a green cross, no title or cd code at all. Minimal.
Best play it now I suppose......that's what it's all about! Deleting the illegal download of it at the same time. :wink:
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

runcible wrote:
dselevan2 wrote:This whole fight with Spzretent started when I said that the green vinyl, 500 copy edition from Rough Trade was an amazing deal.
It started because you said the Pharmacy was listing items they had no access to. Which was incorrect.
OK! So do they have those green vinyl A&E records they were promising? Looks like those who went to rough trade already got theirs.

See you!

Love,
Gypsy Dave
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

dselevan2 wrote:
OK! So do they have those green vinyl A&E records they were promising? Looks like those who went to rough trade already got theirs.

See you!

Love,
Gypsy Dave
The Pharmacy itself has never advertised them for sale - spazed99 simply said some would become available. Read this post again:
spazed99 wrote:a limited quantity of green vinyl will be available from the website in the next few weeks, just after release date.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

runcible, you really can't read that well. This is from the Spiritualized News section:

"Spiritualized are delighted to announce a very special performance and signing at Rough Trade East, London E1, on Monday 26th May, 7pm.

Free admission is limited to the first 200 fans who collect a wristband from Rough Trade East, midday Thursday 24th April onward. Fans simply ask for a wristband at the main counter - strictly one wristband per person, allocated on a 'first-come-first served' basis.

Fans will also be available to pre-order the album 'Songs In A&E' from Rough Trade East, including a limited edition green vinyl LP, only available to buy from Rough Trade East and the Spiritualized website. Rough Trade East address: Rough Trade East Old Truman Brewery 91 Brick Lane London E1"

Hell, maybe they'll press more. I think they did that with Fucked Up Inside, right?
Last edited by dselevan2 on Tue May 27, 2008 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

Does the vinyl come with a download coupon?

I've already got the album digitally, but something is fucked up with the Harmony tracks. They're way louder than the other songs.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

dselevan2 wrote:runcible, you really can't read that well. This is from the Spiritualized News section:

"Fans will also be available to pre-order the album 'Songs In A&E' from Rough Trade East, including a limited edition green vinyl LP, only available to buy from Rough Trade East and the Spiritualized website.
Yawn. Well I'm looking in The Pharmacy (which is the area you have accused directly) an area of the web site I look at regularly and I don't see green vinyl A & E on sale (your accusation again by the way is that The Pharmacy offers things it has no access to - to this day it hasn't offered green vinyl A & E).

On the other hand your quote above concurs directly with what spazed99 states as fact in the quote I included earlier. In this spazed99 says that the green vinyl edition will be available through this web site. The news section doesn't say the green vinyl is available on pre-order from The Pharmacy - it says it is available on pre-order through Rough Trade East and that it is exclusively available from either there or this web site. Both those things seem to be accurate. Once again the green vinyl is:
only available to buy from Rough Trade East and the Spiritualized website.

So, I can read. You obviously find it difficult to understand English.

Even I'm getting bored with this now.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Are you trying to say that the green vinyl LP will be available on the website somewhere other than the pharmacy?

I think you are intentionally misleading fans into thinking they should wait for the album to show up on the website. Probably because you bought several from Rough Trade. I wouldn't put that past you, runcible. And if this was too boring for you, you should have stayed out of it. Now it's too late.
virgiltracy
New user

Post by virgiltracy »

i have heard the limited cd version in the USA is now not expected until sometime in July. Which is a total bummer. i mean, are we supposed to wait & not hear it? or buy the regular cd now & buy it again later? an argument for downloading the damn thing if ever i heard one!
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

rameses wrote:
Shame there wasn't a green A&E scrubs style shirt - that would have been cool especially if you could get the wrist band too. :mrgreen:

Kinda like this:
CreateThumbNail.jpeg
I think you have some hidden depths there rameses...weren't you the A&E mug guy too?
I'm thinking those "crocs" shoes (like clogs only with a lil more give) perhaps with a gum sole with a printed A&E cross on it. Picture hospital/tennis cross-breed.

Anyway, let's get back to the pharmacy debate...ding-ding...round 9... :arrow:

Oh and as an aside...isn't the "Mr Green" smily just soooooooooooooooooooo de rigeur.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :?: :mrgreen:
Shoulders back, smash it
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

eleKtroniK:musiK wrote:
rameses wrote:
Shame there wasn't a green A&E scrubs style shirt - that would have been cool especially if you could get the wrist band too. :mrgreen:

Kinda like this:
CreateThumbNail.jpeg
I think you have some hidden depths there rameses...weren't you the A&E mug guy too?
I'm thinking those "crocs" shoes (like clogs only with a lil more give) perhaps with a gum sole with a printed A&E cross on it. Picture hospital/tennis cross-breed.

Anyway, let's get back to the pharmacy debate...ding-ding...round 9... :arrow:

Oh and as an aside...isn't the "Mr Green" smily just soooooooooooooooooooo de rigeur.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :?: :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
That is indeed me.

I'm thinking of getting a scrubs shirt made up, if i do I'll post a picture.

Funnily enough I've just bought a pair of crocs aswell (albeit black and red ones). :roll:

Oh and I've just received my A&E vinyl from Rough Trade and it looks fantastic. It came in a proper heavy weight mailer so the corners are all in tact. One thing I didn't know was that it was double vinyl :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If it does appear in the Pharmacy as another limited edition (perhaps signed by J or something) I'll probably buy another.
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

rameses wrote:

I'm thinking of getting a scrubs shirt made up, if i do I'll post a picture.

reminds me of clinic on tour...

M
Design.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

eleKtroniK:musiK wrote: Anyway, let's get back to the pharmacy debate...ding-ding...round 9... :arrow:
I've taken it to PM to save everyone the pain of reading more...
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Back on topic, I canceled my deluxe cd order last week ($45.00 import here in the States) and received the regular cd with signed booklet in the post yesterday (green vinyl is on its way). I got properly in the mood, played it twice through. Brilliant. Achingly beautiful, hair standing on end moments throughout. Sweet Talk, perfect opener. 3rd proper listen awaits me after work.

Thanks Jason. I think I'm in love again.
I think I feel it coming on
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Received my gorgeous green vinyl copy last Saturday, well pleased with that :D . I have my Deluxe on order from Amazon which, incidentally, I pre-ordered @ £11.99 now showing @ £12.98! Now being the sad completist that I am do I buy the standard vinyl and standard CD as well :?:
'Remember, change is not good'
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

BVCP206 wrote:Received my gorgeous green vinyl copy last Saturday, well pleased with that :D . I have my Deluxe on order from Amazon which, incidentally, I pre-ordered @ £11.99 now showing @ £12.98! Now being the sad completist that I am do I buy the standard vinyl and standard CD as well :?:
Yes of course you must :!:

If you can get one of the signed standard CDs from Newbury Comics you might even save a bit of cash, it worked out being cheaper from there including P&P than buying it from Amazon.

I'm going to pop into Jumbo on the way home to pick up a standard vinyl if they have it in.

<<EDIT>>
So it was pissing down when I set off home so I didn't go to Jumbo as it's a bit of a detour from my route to the station. While hurrying through the crowded Leeds streets I noticed that A&E was for sale in another record store that I sometimes visit (Crash). Why not, thinks I, so I popped in and parted with another 15 notes (got to keep J in tea and all that). The nice man behind the counter checked the sleeve to make sure all was ok before popping it in a carrier WITH AN A&E WRIST BAND "Can I have another of those?" I asked. "No worries, mate!" says he, and chucks another in the bag.
So thank goodness for crappy English weather. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
mjtown
Known user

Post by mjtown »

Alright, a quick one for those who have their green vinyl already...

...I'm waiting for mine to get to me in Australia. I'm a bit concerned that the amount of time in the postal service might damage the packaging, and hence also the sleeve. What sort of packaging did yours come in? Should I be concerned or are the packed well?

:?:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Mine wasn't very well packaged and the sleeve is slightly dented in the bottom corner. It seems only Americans know how to package LPs, in those thick fold over corrugated cardboard mailers.

I might have to zip in to Crash if there are wristbands about! Just walked past the place 20 minutes ago too!

By the way I got caught slap bang in that pissing rain yesterday and got totally soaked.
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

Hate to say it but my sleeve was damaged. They packed the two records in the sleeve which is a stupid thing to do - most shops take them out.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

dselevan2 wrote:your going down at the drawing room spz
I changed my mind. I cant bring myself to fight w/someone who constantly replies to his own posts.
And I am safely back in Motown w/my booty from Amoeba. Holy shit! Never been to an Amoeba before. That place is insane. $120 later but worth every penny.
Red vinyl My Bloody Valentine 180 gram Loveless LP.
Mr. Lonely LP
A couple of The Quarter After cds.
I could have easily spent $1000+(if I had it to burn) in Amoeba.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Amoeba is great, I did well last week also. Good job. Funny that you bought Quarter After CDs, the party that I was trying to get you to attend was at Rob's house, and they played. You wouldn't have gotten beat up, that's not really my thing.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

i'm listening to one of those CD's as i type and I really like it.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

1st Quarter After album is great - Know Me When I'm Gone is an incredible song. And Rob Campanella is a really lovely guy. He tends to be on the BJM tour and is the only guy Anton won't fuck with as I think he respects him too much.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

So you should have come to the party! I wouldn't have gotten into a fight with you. I'm sorry, by the way. Didn't mean for anything to get personal. Spindrift played the party as well. They are pretty fun, always quite different. Rob must be a cool guy for hosting that party, although I'm not a huge fan of the style of music that was played at that Memorial Day party. It's a matter of personal preference. I prefer a little more, "pop" in my psychedelic music. I always liked how Spiritualized mixed guitar rock, electronic music, pop music, drone music, prog music, classical, and all these other genres. The way Pure Phase was played live really amazed me. I'm always returning to Pure Phase.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

I still haven't received any of my editions, CD or LP.
You'd think people who, "pre-order" could get their items at the same time as folks who go to the store.
Sigh,
D
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I haven't received any of the pre-orders from the UK either, but I'm expecting them by the end of next week.
slidesong
Known user

Post by slidesong »

Got mine today from Newbury Comics.

mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Fantastic - prescribed by the Spaceman :D
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

:D

Is that the pre-printed line (for signing) he was talking about?! Great idea that!
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

rhyser wrote:i feel a bit cheated for paying an extra 7 quid for a few pictures of catheters or whatever they are. the photography is terrible as well, really grainy. compared to LAGWAFIS and Let it come Down, this packaging is a big let down.

I love it actually. Thinks it's completely relevant and personal both to the design concept and the actual real life situation. Having photos that were taken in the hospital at the time of the crisis is far more potent in my opinion than having some paid photographer with a fancy camera orchestrate it afterwards. Anyone can take a high resolution shot with the right equipment... who cares?! I find this sort of fussy-ness misses the point and just amounts to detached snobbery. It's the idea behind the photos that matter. In this case, life became art and vice-versa. I think that's pretty stunning.

I love having the lyrics too (and the layout of them is genius).
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

so genius yeah yeahs lyric is nowhere to be found.

the extra money is a bit much, but i found it a lovely package. there's a real nice vibe coming off at the minute (though exposure to the live show mean it's fast turning into glorious and gloriously messy rock n' roll) and the book brings it's own weight to proceedings. it's nice. the initial photo i found very startling and particularly stunning, conjuring up a lot of the story spiritualized[+] represent but in an even more natural setting cause of the graininess of the shot.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

jack white wrote:so genius yeah yeahs lyric is nowhere to be found.
Genius and incomplete all at the same time or on purpose? Withholding of information... :D

But yes, totally agree with what you say.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Can anyone confirm that the deluxe and vinyl editions will be released later in the summer for us over here in the US? I heard a rumor.....
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

As far as I can tell, Canada's still waiting for the standard, non-import release - an ad in the most recent Exclaim is listing June 17th as the official date... hopefully the special edition comes out on that date as well! If you live in the U.S.A., at least you can get the standard version...
LunarTunes
Known user

Post by LunarTunes »

^That's when Amazon.ca has it for as well. Couldn't find it in Toronto on the weekend. As a matter of fact, Canada is still waiting for the iTunes EP as well. Hello? Management? Anyone home? We're the gigantic country above the U.S.A.:

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=safa ... 1&ct=title

Peace.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

My green vinyl LP arrived in Detroit today w/no white spots and cover in perfect shape. No dents or marks. And it is one bright green LP.
Good job Rough Trade East!

Go Red Wings!
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

Cool! Did you just take standard shipping? If so, that means the copy I have coming to Montreal can't be too far off...

You do realise that by announcing this, you're making some people green with envy...
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

please stop :shock:
gonna burn brightly
for a while
eastside
New user

Post by eastside »

I, too, received the beautifully packaged green vinyl version today in my hometown of Atlanta, GA. Expertly packaged by the Rough Trade crew, to boot. Well worth the investment... now off to hear it for the first time!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

warmgun. wrote:Cool! Did you just take standard shipping? If so, that means the copy I have coming to Montreal can't be too far off...

You do realise that by announcing this, you're making some people green with envy...
I chose whatever shipping method they suggested. So you should expect yours soon.

That better Jack?

When one of your local sports teams is on the cusp of another Championship(tonight hopefully) you tend to do crazy things like add color to posts! I'll reel it in a bit!
slidesong
Known user

Post by slidesong »

Got my green vinyl today.

flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

Goddamn that's sexy.

Hope mine makes it today.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Wow. That looks so sweet. So if you live in NY and got yours today, I'm hoping Wednesday I'll receive mine.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

I still haven't received mine, but that looks sweet. Does yours play Ok? I heard someone say their copy didn't play well. I'm hoping that person just got a botched copy.

d
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Now i'm getting worried, plenty of Stateside folks getting their green vinyl yet i'm in Ireland and have received nothing yet. Maybe they're sending them out in chronological order like a "1st order received is the 1st order out" kinda way, i'll give it til friday then get in touch i think. Looks fantastic though.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
eelnekwah
Known user

Post by eelnekwah »

Had green vinyl for over a week now - its gone straight in a plastic sleeve unplayed.Gonna invest in the standard black for the turntable.Anyone from the UK received the autographed version of the cd from newbury comics yet?Still waiting for mine.Also got the delux hardback cd but thats still shrinkwrapped at the mo - would like to keep it mint - cant bring myself to open it.How many of these are there?
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

eelnekwah wrote:Also got the delux hardback cd but thats still shrinkwrapped at the mo - would like to keep it mint - cant bring myself to open it.How many of these are there?

I'd say there's quite a lot of those, there seems to have been quite a large amount in every record shop I've been in since the release. I don't think they'll be considered 'rare' for a long time, put it that way.
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

That's pretty crazy to buy a record and not play it! Is it really worth whatever money you will make, considering you will have to buy it again on black vinyl?
Sonny Munns
Known user

Post by Sonny Munns »

I pre-ordered two copies of the green vinyl and only one showed up yesterday...emailed Rough Trade and haven't heard anything yet. Didn't get a chance to sit down and put it on the turntable yet....after listening to the cd many times over I'm not that thrilled with it...
talking about music is like dancing about architecture
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

They told me it was 1 per person and any more than that would be cancelled.

My housemate dropped mine, the pull out sleeve is a bit ripped now, bugger.
mjtown
Known user

Post by mjtown »

I received my deluxe cd yesterday... delivered to Adelaide in South Australia....

Goddamn what a great album! Just awesome!!!

:D
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Rough Trade are getting 150 more of the green vinyl (50 reserved for online orders). get on it now though! :arrow:

feel sorry for the folk who just paid 65 quid on ebay....
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

simonkeeping wrote:Rough Trade are getting 150 more of the green vinyl (50 reserved for online orders). get on it now though! :arrow:

feel sorry for the folk who just paid 65 quid on ebay....

:D Thanks! I got one... thought I'd missed out being too slow as usual.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

got my autographed cd from the comics store on may 27th here in the states
I think I feel it coming on
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

also the proud owner of the green vinyl. looks marvellous. neverending depths.
printed lyrics are good idea. Jase has told that working on this album was like returning to an older material, cuz all of it was recorder before his illness. and as it is guitar based song writing this time around, and songs that are not contemporary for his life, then priting lyrics is "reasonable". he is not "losing" any of the mystical vibes by printing them. i need to think more and think if this desing will last aging. anyway, whatever, green vinyl has landed and that makes me happy.
mjtown
Known user

Post by mjtown »

simonkeeping wrote:Rough Trade are getting 150 more of the green vinyl (50 reserved for online orders). get on it now though! :arrow:

Thankyou simonkeeping. Thankyou VERY much.

8)

6 left now...
Mustard
Known user

Post by Mustard »

I was still waiting for my copy when I phoned the shop this morning (I tried to e-mail but didn't get any response) and was told that my copy hadn't been sent because the card had been refused (due to it expiring in between order and release). The guy I spoke to said that they had quite few orders for which the same had happened and that they were going to send e-mails to get updated details. If you still haven't received yours then might you have the same problem?
eelnekwah
Known user

Post by eelnekwah »

It'll never be for sale Dave.Just wanna keep it pristine - thats all.Especially now stories of poor pressings and damaged sleeves are appearing. While on track -I wonder what you were gonna do with the limited Medication 12" which you tried to order a while back.I assume (as you've stated in other posts that you already own almost everything SPZ) that you already own the standard 12".Why multiple copies.Does your turntable play 2 records at once?
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Actually, I didn't own the Medication EP. I used to have it on CD, which is long gone. After I got my refund I found one on ebay, poster included, for a very reasonable price.
Adios,
D
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

mkb wrote:
eelnekwah wrote:Also got the delux hardback cd but thats still shrinkwrapped at the mo - would like to keep it mint - cant bring myself to open it.How many of these are there?

I'd say there's quite a lot of those, there seems to have been quite a large amount in every record shop I've been in since the release. I don't think they'll be considered 'rare' for a long time, put it that way.
I'd guess at least 10,000 units if not more, still a very nice product though, received mine this morning from Amazon along with the Spectrum meets Captain Memphis CD which is well worth checking out. Still waiting for my black vinyl A & E from What Records and my signed CD from Newbury Comics. Will the madness ever end :?:
'Remember, change is not good'