Songs in A&E - Editions

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

sixeyed
New user

Songs in A&E - Editions

Post by sixeyed »

26th May seems a long way off.

Anyone know if Songs in A&E will have a limited edition release?

I haven't found any details, but then I recall that the Amazing Grace 12-inches weren't massively publicised...
James T
Known user

Re: Songs in A&E - Editions

Post by James T »

There is a normal and a special edition CD. No idea of the difference between them. No idea about a record release but I assume there will be one.
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

I've read that the limited cd will be in a hardback edition with a dvd and expanded artwork.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

There's an pre-sale item on eBay that would seem to back up the post above:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... SS:GB:1123

sounds lush....
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

will let you know when it arrives :wink:
LunarTunes
Known user

Post by LunarTunes »

I must say, this part of the eBay listing made me chuckle/groan:

"It has all the flow of previous Spiritualized classics, only here there is no hiding behind studio effects, or screaming tornados of guitar feedback."

There's been a similar quote for every Spiritualized record that came after Pure Phase! Hunt around on the internet and you'll find variations on this quote (from the MTV site in this case) in a lot of different places:

"With 1997's Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space, Pierce deliberately jettisoned many of the band's usual points of departure, including drones, tremolos, and phase tones..."

Really now, there were 2 studio albums with the "Spiritualized sound" that was jettisoned. The new LP will be #4 without that sound. The REAL news would be the RETURN of all those effects, not their absence!...

Not complaining about the change in approach by Jason, just the sort of lazy reporting that seems to follow him around. And I'm VERY much looking forward to the new album...

Peace.
spazed99
Known user

Post by spazed99 »

This item looks somewhat iffy as they have not yet been manufactured. The album will be released on 3 formats: regular jewel case cd / limited edition deluxe book / vinyl. The track listing will be the same across all formats. A promo booklet which is not for sale will sent out to media etc and these may well turn up on ebay but they will have exactly the same track listing.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

There's gonna be vinyl - yippeee!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D
ekewebb
Known user

Post by ekewebb »

I love that ebay listing. The blurb says it's coming out in a "DVD sized book", not "with a DVD", and he's not going to send it out until after the release date of May 26th. So £15.95 plus postage for something you're probably going to be able to get cheaper once it's released anyway. Bad luck barry_rock whoever you are.
sixeyed
New user

Post by sixeyed »

Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks very much guys!
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

I love the fact there's more information on eBay about the new album than has been officially released on this site, perhaps we'll get the low down on the Anyway You Want Me remix 12" soon :D
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

That ebay listing also shows what each 'Harmony' track is made up of.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

jesus son wrote:I love the fact there's more information on eBay about the new album than has been officially released on this site, perhaps we'll get the low down on the Anyway You Want Me remix 12" soon :D
Give it a rest. Would you rather information or speculation? :arrow:
Shoulders back, smash it
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

jesus son wrote:perhaps we'll get the low down on the Anyway You Want Me remix 12" soon :D
"It has all the flow of previous Spiritualized classics, only here there is no hiding behind studio effects, or screaming tornados of guitar feedback."
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
helm
Known user

Post by helm »

I wasn't aware that lazer guided melodies or pure phase were particularly awash with studio effects and feedback. perhaps i wasn't paying attention.

http://www.helmtherapy.co.uk
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

eleKtroniK:musiK wrote:
jesus son wrote:I love the fact there's more information on eBay about the new album than has been officially released on this site, perhaps we'll get the low down on the Anyway You Want Me remix 12" soon :D
Give it a rest. Would you rather information or speculation? :arrow:
sorry for any offence but the format of the two versions would have been decided weeks ago, surely it's not too much to ask to have a few words from the powers that be to explain how they will differ, rather than have to rely on hearsay, gossip and Amazon's non-descriptions?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

jesus son wrote:
sorry for any offence but the format of the two versions would have been decided weeks ago, surely it's not too much to ask to have a few words from the powers that be to explain how they will differ, rather than have to rely on hearsay, gossip and Amazon's non-descriptions?
Not sure what your problem is here. Don't these 'few words' contain useful enough information?
spazed99 wrote:The album will be released on 3 formats: regular jewel case cd / limited edition deluxe book / vinyl. The track listing will be the same across all formats. A promo booklet which is not for sale will sent out to media etc and these may well turn up on ebay but they will have exactly the same track listing.
I'd say that covers it. What more do you want?
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

I've recently pre-ordered the deluxe cd edition here in the U.S. from cd universe. Anyone seen a pre-order site for vinyl yet, specifically state side?

Cheers.
I think I feel it coming on
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

runcible wrote:
jesus son wrote:
Not sure what your problem is here. Don't these 'few words' contain useful enough information?
spazed99 wrote:The album will be released on 3 formats: regular jewel case cd / limited edition deluxe book / vinyl. The track listing will be the same across all formats. A promo booklet which is not for sale will sent out to media etc and these may well turn up on ebay but they will have exactly the same track listing.
I'd say that covers it. What more do you want?
my apologies, I had genuinely overlooked that from spazed99, thanks for the clarification
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

That's OK - I know some posts get overlooked on occasion.

But it's worth noting spazed99's info here when it appears as it's normally the most up to date you can hope for.
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

LunarTunes wrote:I must say, this part of the eBay listing made me chuckle/groan:

There's been a similar quote for every Spiritualized record that came after Pure Phase! Hunt around on the internet and you'll find variations on this quote (from the MTV site in this case) in a lot of different places:

"With 1997's Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space, Pierce deliberately jettisoned many of the band's usual points of departure, including drones, tremolos, and phase tones..."

Really now, there were 2 studio albums with the "Spiritualized sound" that was jettisoned. The new LP will be #4 without that sound. The REAL news would be the RETURN of all those effects, not their absence!...
Too true! I don't think that they ever dispensed with that stuff, but maybe Jason doesn't rely on it all the time--because there was a point in early SPZ where he never shut those pedals off, hahaaa.
noOne
Known user

Post by noOne »

is there any chance that there might a be a domestic release of he deluxe cd for U.S. buyers?
Lord Please Fuck My Mind For Good
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

"The USA release dates are now confirmed:

April 29th - digital single & i-Tunes EP

May 27th - cd album and digital album

June 17th - Double gatefold black vinyl & deluxe book cd.

All formats will have the same track listing."
noOne
Known user

Post by noOne »

once again....

is there any chance that there might a be a domestic release of the deluxe cd for U.S. buyers?

or is it import only?
bcastle21
Known user

Post by bcastle21 »

Once again...

toomilk wrote:"The USA release dates are now confirmed:

noOne
Known user

Post by noOne »

bcastle21 wrote:Once again...

well, on amazon.com and all the other sites i have seen it on, it is being advertised as an import. can you or anyone else point me in the direction of a deluxe edition for pre-order that i won't have to pay the import price of $42.99. cuz i can't find it anywhere.

get what i'm saying?
U.S. availability does not equal a domestic release.
rameses
Known user

Re: Songs in A&E - Editions GREEN VINYL

Post by rameses »

From the Prescriptions page

"Fans will also be available to pre-order the album 'Songs In A&E' from Rough Trade East, including a limited edition green vinyl LP, only available to buy from Rough Trade East and the Spiritualized website."

How fucking cool will that be....now where do we order???? :mrgreen:
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Thanks. I just pre-ordered my green vinyl edition. From roughtrade. Use Google, you will find it. $50, but only 500 made, that's pretty limited, even for Spiritualized. I think Pure Phase was at least 1-5,000.
DAMN the dollar though! $50 after shipping, that is the most I've paid for a Spiritualized record, and I have them all.
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

ma birthday.. and souixsie sue´s and christopher lee´s. mm bleh never mind me ooh and kissinger of course.. the pride of humanity :lol:
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Can anyone tell me what comes in the packaging for the green vinyl edition?

Due to the falling value of the dollar, this is prabably the only copy I will be able to purchase. The album is a great deal at 500 copies, it's just a little pricey with shipping and the dollar being like 1/2 a pound. Do we get all the stuff described in the Farrow/Spaceman interview?

That would be nice. I know Ladies and Gentleman came with the same package insert as the CD..
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

My order for the Rough Trade edition was "confirmed" earlier today, but now with the news of it definitely being sold out, I hope it goes through...
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Hmmm ... I placed an order the other day for a copy of it on green vinyl, but never got an email confirmation. Good thing I wrote down the order number.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

"Your order is from a catalogue of titles available at this time, NOT from stock. We cannot guarantee availability."

:shock:
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

toomilk wrote:"Your order is from a catalogue of titles available at this time, NOT from stock. We cannot guarantee availability."

Man, what the hell does that mean? Either you ordered in time to get one or you didn't. I'm going to have to email them tomorrow to find out what's up with my order.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

toomilk wrote:"Your order is from a catalogue of titles available at this time, NOT from stock. We cannot guarantee availability."

I had the same thing in my confirmation email too when i ordered yesterday afternoon.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

TheWarmth wrote:

Man, what the hell does that mean? Either you ordered in time to get one or you didn't. I'm going to have to email them tomorrow to find out what's up with my order.

I think / hope it means that it's not in stock as it's not actually released yet, but it is in their catalogue of stuff that's available to order, as my email said the same. Perhaps it's just a very badly worded sentence.
It's nice to be liked,
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

rameses wrote:
TheWarmth wrote:

I think / hope it means that it's not in stock as it's not actually released yet, but it is in their catalogue of stuff that's available to order, as my email said the same. Perhaps it's just a very badly worded sentence.
Don't panic everybody, they responded very quickly to an email I sent today after I placed my order and got the same email. It is just bad wording, everybody who has had their order accecpted will get a copy, once there are no more to reserve you wont be able to order it.

Hope this helps
'Remember, change is not good'
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I got an email response indicating that they're having problems with automated emails and that my order went through fine. Phew.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Can someone give me a link to the Rough Trade East page where this can be pre-ordered?

Thanks
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

Laz69 wrote:Can someone give me a link to the Rough Trade East page where this can be pre-ordered?

Thanks
http://www.roughtrade.com/site/shop_det ... sku=300080
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

tis sold out. I was a bit slow on this one....
they going to have any at the instore?
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

BVCP206 wrote:
Don't panic everybody, they responded very quickly to an email I sent today after I placed my order and got the same email. It is just bad wording, everybody who has had their order accecpted will get a copy, once there are no more to reserve you wont be able to order it.

Hope this helps

Whew. Thank you for emailing the question. :D
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

simonkeeping wrote:tis sold out. I was a bit slow on this one....
they going to have any at the instore?
If you scroll over the "Buy Now" button, it says that it is a limited edition presale of 200 copies. Hopefully that means they will have some at the instore.
Pat Garrett
Known user

Post by Pat Garrett »

It's still available - I just had no trouble ordering a copy.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

thanks Pat, got one! theres 65 copies left.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

simonkeeping wrote:theres 65 copies left.
sooooo, there ain't so many us. anyway, lovely to be in the same nest and to bind it tighter with the green wire.
aphasias
New user

Post by aphasias »

Is it known whether or not the DVD included with the UK special edition will be PAL or NTSC, and/or region specific? Just wondering if I should bother waiting for the deluxe edition to come to the US three weeks later...
bcastle21
Known user

Post by bcastle21 »

DVD?
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

bcastle21 wrote:DVD?
D(igital) V(ideo) D(isc) an optical disc for storing data or movies...similar to a CD only different...
Shoulders back, smash it
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

aphasias wrote:Is it known whether or not the DVD included with the UK special edition will be PAL or NTSC, and/or region specific? Just wondering if I should bother waiting for the deluxe edition to come to the US three weeks later...
There isn't a DVD it's just in DVD box sized packaging.
It's nice to be liked,
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

there is a dvd with the ltd hardbook cover. the uk version is pal.

the us version isn't coming with dvd or ltd hardbook cover as far as i can tell
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
laid back in the sun
Known user

Post by laid back in the sun »

hmmm interesting.... wonder when we'll find out exactly what the story is with this ltd edition cd, is there a dvd or is it just a dvd sized book package? finding it hard to tell from the ebay listings i've seen so far :? an acoustic mainlines show on dvd would be a nice bonus although an acoustic mainlines album would be even better! :D
hey man theres a hole in my nose where all the money goes
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

laid back in the sun wrote: an acoustic mainlines show on dvd would be a nice bonus although an acoustic mainlines album would be even better! :D
You could put on the DVD and close your eyes and pretend it's a CD... :D
laid back in the sun
Known user

true true.... would still prefer an offical acoustic mainlines live album tho, nice ltd edition double gatefold vinyl, standard cd and an interesting ltd cd... not much to ask for now is it! yes i have pretty much ran out of spiritualized stuff to buy.... even gave up fighting the urge and bought the medication promo last night! :oops: lol
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

from amazon US. plus i've seen this on other US sites:
Deluxe edition packaged in a hardback book and includes a bonus DVD. Spiritualized are an English rock band formed in 1990 in Rugby, Warwickshire by Jason Pierce (who often goes by the alias J. Spaceman) after the demise of his previous outfit, space-rockers Spacemen 3. The membership of Spiritualized has changed from album to album, with Pierce - who writes, composes and sings all of the band's material - being the only constant member. Spiritualized have released five studio albums. The best known and most critically acclaimed of these was 1997's Ladies & Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space, which NME Magazine made their Album of the Year.. Tracks, Harmony 1 (Mellotron), Sweet Talk, Death Take Your Fiddle, I Gotta Fire, Soul On Fire, Harmony 2 (Piano), Sitting On Fire, Yeah Yeah, You Lie You Cheat, Harmony 3 (Voice), Baby I'm Just A Fool, Don't Hold Me Close, Harmony 4 (The Old Man...), The Waves Crash In, Harmony 5 (Accordian), Borrowed Your Gun, Harmony 6 (Glockenspiel), Good Night Goodnight. Universal. 2008.

from sirendisc:
Songs In A & E (CD+DVD) HARDBOOK
Special edition. NOTE: PAL format DVD may not be compatible with U.S. players.

no mention of the US special edition anywhere
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
laid back in the sun
Known user

well at least we now know what this ltd edition looks like, now if we could only find out what exactly is on this dvd! :?:
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

From Amazon.co.uk - although I'll admit they're no bible.

"Product details

Audio CD (26 May 2008)
Number of Discs: 1
Format: Deluxe Edition
Label: Universal
ASIN: B0014KWQH0"

DVD WOULD be nice though. It's all getting quite exciting again eh?

tick tock tick tock tick
johnnyboy72
Known user

Post by johnnyboy72 »

All the info you'll need, for now......

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/n ... luxe-ified

Nice silver shoes in the vid. Had me eye on a very similar pair on the Office website a little while back. can a mere mortal rock the silver shoe look though?
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

No mention of the existance of a DVD though.
It's nice to be liked,
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

I hate the fact that there are itunes exclusive tracks. I've ordered the green double vinyl, I'll buy the deluxe CD edition, but I've got to buy it from itunes as well to get all of the tracks? I know that doing stuff like this gives you more exposure on the itunes homepage and might lead to more sales, but I think it's a bit unfair to make some of the music you make only available to people who download from itunes.
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

I agree. Luckily I've got a copy of the Union Chapel gig already so that's not too much of big deal.

Isn't the extended version of Harmony on the 'Soul On Fire' CD anyway?
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

can a mere mortal rock the silver shoe look though?
I saw those very same shoes and picked them up. I know what you mean. I think im going to have to grow my hair, lose my job, go on tour and get on the fags before I slip them on.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

rameses wrote:
Isn't the extended version of Harmony on the 'Soul On Fire' CD anyway?

Yes.
laid back in the sun
Known user

have just checked the link in prescriptions and read the press blurb about the special edition cd...... no mention of any dvd just a poster of some needles :shock:
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

i'm now really confused. when is the actual uk release date? if they keep fucking us around with limited edition, i tunes, multiple versions of the same damn thing i'm gonna loose interest and be content with the downloaded copy i got off soul seek, sure if i had the money i'd have all the 'special' stuff but i'm getting fed up with this now. there should be one definitve version. i can;t remeber what band it was but there was a band who once you bought the album you would have to buy the entire album again on itunes just to get two tracks you couldn't get anywhere else and another band re-relaesd there cd a month later with a whole host of bonus cds... i hate this download cultre- if the world goes itunes then i'll just go soulseek- if i buy something i want the cd, booklet, case etc to have a finished article not some numbers on my computer and a cover i can print off if i choose so. THIS is killing the cd market for me. i tunes is the antichrist- at least when the world went from records to cd you still had something to hold in your hand, now one power serge at the electircs company and your entire music collection can be destroyed...one day everything we own will be on a credit card sized object, that includes art, lit, music and possible even out bloody homes, just put it on the floor press a button and wohlaa we have a shack...
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

bunnyben wrote:i'm now really confused. when is the actual uk release date? if they keep fucking us around with limited edition, i tunes, multiple versions of the same damn thing i'm gonna loose interest and be content with the downloaded copy i got off soul seek, sure if i had the money i'd have all the 'special' stuff but i'm getting fed up with this now.

I was feeling the same way actually and have now got 'round to the idea "if I'm passing a music shop and see it, i'll pick it up...if something else shiny doesn't catch my eye".
On one hand I appreciate what is being done...making green vinyl/black vinyl, cd & special cd/dvd and digital download. I can grasp to some extent the idea of leaving a nice legacy...i.e. not just your bog standard jewel case. It's a decent idea however in releasing few of these people will automatically turn to download and as for itunes...well the 5 track live "whatever" that was released...think mine came through in glorious 128Kbps. I wouldn't even plump for that on soulseek for long-term play. Maybe it's some parameter/setting I set-up (was defaulted) in I-tunes but it's lame (there's a pun there somewhere) all the same. Why I-tunes? Mass market/audience perhaps, that you can understand but the compromise on quality...playing "the Man's" game. Sheesh. :)
bunnyben wrote:there should be one definitve version. i can;t remeber what band it was but there was a band who once you bought the album you would have to buy the entire album again on itunes just to get two tracks you couldn't get anywhere else and another band re-relaesd there cd a month later with a whole host of bonus cds... i hate this download cultre- if the world goes itunes then i'll just go soulseek- if i buy something i want the cd, booklet, case etc to have a finished article not some numbers on my computer and a cover i can print off if i choose so. THIS is killing the cd market for me.
I'm sure most bands are at it. Some have released CD's previously (American/Japanese) versions with additional tracks. Agree with the bonus stuff...unfortunately it's inevitably a let-down and therefore who really are the suckers. As an aside; I was on myspace the other night and kept seeing these radiohead remixes (and vote mine now slogans). Wondering what it was, I see you can/could now go to I-tunes and d/l the seperate parts; bass, drums, guitar, keys, vox and then remix them in a suitable bit of production software. I thought that was quite a neat idea until I realised you had to pay for the seperate parts. What the fuck. Think of the publicity/marketing radiohead would have got by doing this...think the top remix has over 100,000 plays. However they've got cash to boot and also the production software has got some good marketing out of it.
Let it be no secret; I don't care too much for Radiohead but boy have they been marketed in such a clever way. Think about it. They've actually taken a stance by being marketed in a non-marketed way. Unfortunately it's a false stance but again...who are the suckers. Clever.
Thing is it doesn't take a lot of money to recreate the sound they have or aspire too. A little bit of creativity helps in most senses but instruments can be aquired cheaply nowadays and as for studio time...well who needs a studio with software. I for one probably wouldn't know the difference between valve amps or vintage microphones compared to there modern counterparts. So really there are only a few select artists who can now get away with all that BS about expense, expense, expense. Time, time, time maybe more of an issue nowadays and especially if there are more than one of you in a band.
bunnyben wrote:i tunes is the antichrist- at least when the world went from records to cd you still had something to hold in your hand, now one power serge at the electircs company and your entire music collection can be destroyed...one day everything we own will be on a credit card sized object, that includes art, lit, music and possible even out bloody homes, just put it on the floor press a button and wohlaa we have a shack...
I don't know much about I-tunes...I had an I-pod for a couple of months and found it exhausting resulting in me losing it (the I-pod) somewhere in a village called Millom, Cumbria. What I will say is that I'm not much of a fan of stuff...stuff kinda clogs up my day-to-day, therefore I download (have mainly been doing so for about 9months) so I don't have to have a cd case. I do (like you've said) worry about my hard disk crashing (it's been making odd noises this week in fact) and whilst it might be a temporal travesty...I'd have some fun building a new one. I'm reading Brave New World at the minute (seem to have an affinity with isolationism/alienation books...The Trial/Crime & Punishment/1984) and can see the attraction of having everything neat n tidy or hassle free but when this happens and it inevitably will; will we yearn for chaos (as we percieve it now) again. Anyone for a gram of soma?

Good chat Ben and I know it began as something borne from frustration.
Shoulders back, smash it