New Amerykah Part 1 : 4th World War

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

New Amerykah Part 1 : 4th World War

Post by BzaInSpace »

This is the new album from Erykah Badu and it's one of the best albums i've heard this year at least. In ages maybe.
Its been proving completely addictive all week, sounding better every time I hear it and its a total psychedelic mash-up of an album!

It has a real variety of styles and moods that run the whole course from Funkadelica jams (the first tune is like a P-Funk homage) to minimalist soul tunes, tender ballads and weird space hip hop tunes. Some of its a bit R&B, most is very abstract sounding tunes but mainly just very fucking good. There is loads of unexpected headspinning effects, sudden endings/intros to tunes and mad production, the kind that would not be out of place on something by The Scream at their most whacked-out...

There are a lot of different producers involved but it hangs together really well as opposed to just a bunch of tracks.

Got to mention Erykah's dreamy, beautful singing, a really unique voice, sometimes all over the mix, sometimes buried like 'There's A Riot...'.
That, and the second Funkadelic album, are definetly two places where this is coming from.

Plus, the artwork is excellent...disturbing but excellent!

Highly recommended - seven out of five. :D
O P 8
LunarTunes
Known user

Re: New Amerykah Part 1 : 4th World War

Post by LunarTunes »

I second all of this! The damn thing hasn't left the player since it came out. In fact, it's on right now! :D ...

I've been waiting for this album for a few years now. I absolutely loved the Worldwide Underground disc, which I also highly recommend. Can't wait for "4th World War, Part 2" in the summer...

Peace.
Horrorflick
Known user

Re: New Amerykah Part 1 : 4th World War

Post by Horrorflick »

I will have to check this out, sounds intriguing... 8)