Who's waiting for the official release?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

mkb
Known user

Who's waiting for the official release?

Post by mkb »

Who's with me in waiting/trying to wait for the official release to listen to the album?

I'm not having a go at anyone who has already/is planning to download the leak, I'm sure most people here will buy it anyway, I'm just quite enjoying the suspense and the build-up just now.

Will I be able to hold off for nearly 2 months? I don't know, but I'm looking forward to trying.
Ian
Known user

Re: Who's waiting for the official release?

Post by Ian »

Well, I've had it on the hard drive since yesterday morning and I haven't listened to it yet. But I know that I am weak, and that it won't be long.

And I don't personally feel guilty about downloading it either - this will be, what, the fourth Spiritualized album I've got hold of ahead of release, and I imagine I'll end up with as many "real" copies of this one as the others (no less than two in every case) - but I do miss the anticipation of waiting for new releases to hit the shops, and wouldn't have minded waiting. I guess those days are gone forever.

Love,

Ian
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'm gonna (try and) wait too.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

I don't usually download music that is commercially released. I generally just download bootlegs or stuff I can't get in a normal way. I hate MP3s too... But this time curiosity has gotten the better of me :( !
I have listened to it. I just couldn't leave it alone. No chance. Like everyone else here I'll buy my copy or several probably...I tend to try to convert people to music I like, so a few will be given as presents I'm sure.
I will not spread the download around or any links to it (although they are extremely easy to find anyway)... but yeah the temptation of hearing it was just too overwhelming.
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

I am waiting for the official release.

Sick of listening to new music through a computer. This is a special record, and so I'll do the traditional 'go buy it and head home to hear it immediately' on the day it comes out.

I've got a few other unlistened-to records to tide me over until the end of May right now anyway. Sun Kil Moon and Elbow being 2 of them.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

Me. I have an iron will.

Ditto Verve.
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

I didn't mind downloading it cos I will always pay to support a band I like as well, but I'm wishing it hadn't been leaked. For every one of us I can guarantee that there will be at least 10 who download it but end up not buying it.
sublow
Known user

Post by sublow »

Ahh man, I'm having this dilemma for few days now.

The thing is, that I am flying all the way to Greece to catch them play live on May 23. If i'm correct, the album will be out few days later or earlier, but since I live in Israel, it will take more time for it to arrive. Usually when i see a show i prefer to listen to the album of the band before i see them live , i get to enjoy the songs much more and hear the different played live, especially when it comes to a band like Spiritualized...

The downer side is, when amazing grace came out, i did download the album when it got leaked. of course later on i bought the album, but i really got disappointed by the album, and sometimes i blame it on not waiting for the final product to come out.... :wink:

Ahh man...Dilemma's :roll:
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

sublow wrote:Ahh man, I'm having this dilemma for few days now.

The thing is, that I am flying all the way to Greece to catch them play live on May 23. If i'm correct, the album will be out few days later or earlier, but since I live in Israel, it will take more time for it to arrive. Usually when i see a show i prefer to listen to the album of the band before i see them live , i get to enjoy the songs much more and hear the different played live, especially when it comes to a band like Spiritualized...

The downer side is, when amazing grace came out, i did download the album when it got leaked. of course later on i bought the album, but i really got disappointed by the album, and sometimes i blame it on not waiting for the final product to come out.... :wink:

Ahh man...Dilemma's :roll:
good things come to those who wait. i too had the exact same experience with amazing grace and i, being a superstitious fellow, refuse to listen to this until i have a 'proper' copy. i am going to do this the old fashioned way. i did listen to the song that was played on the radio and i was decidedly underwhelmed and this helped cement my decision.

i want to unwrap my vinyl, slap it on the turntable, sit down, close my eyes, and let mr pierce and company have an exclusive hour or so of my time.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

Not even 10 hours since I posted this topic and I'm so tempted!!! Aaaaarrghh!!

I'm off to listen to some albums I haven't listened to in a while to take my mind off this. I think I'll start with Blondie's Parallel Lines.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Full marks to you guys who can wait - I was always the kid who woke up and had a peek in the Christmas sack....

There was no way on God's Earth I was gonna be able to wait until release day, especially once TheWarmth and others started teasing us. And the main reason, apart from curiosity? Simple: I want to have some familiarity with the songs when I see them at Koko. To me its unforgiveable to play live dates like that and not to have already got the album out and in the ears of your fans.

To be honest, unless you do a Radiohead and have a shock online release you're NEVER going to stop a leak these days. My only surprise was how long it took, given the weeks since Warmth posted his original review and comment started appearing in the media from journos who obviously got promos.
ekewebb
Known user

Post by ekewebb »

I never download stuff ahead of release date, I find it gets too hard to keep up once you start doing that.

I shoud have two days of listening before Koko (if the release date doesn't slip) so that'll have to be enough. See you there Greeny.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I would have loved to, but I was presented with the album two days ago.

Forgive me, for I have sinned.

But I will still buy the album on all formats. It's that great, in my opinion.
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

I wasn't aware of a leaked version till reading this (how naive of me).

But as there is one I've downloaded it and intend to listen to it at lunchtime. (It'll hopefully make up for the disappointment that is the iTunes Live release).

I'll be buying all formats when it is officially released naturally.
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

i get the feeling i will be underwealmed due to the enjoyment of the new songs at ac mainlines in brighton. ok who listened to the ac mainlines bootlegs by taking out the new songs so that the album will be completely new?
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

Well I've listened to it and all I can say is roll on the release. It's ace. :mrgreen:

I'm saying no more to avoid spoiling it for folks with more will power than me.
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
LUFC_SPACEMAN
Known user

Post by LUFC_SPACEMAN »

Greeny wrote:Full marks to you guys who can wait - I was always the kid who woke up and had a peek in the Christmas sack....

There was no way on God's Earth I was gonna be able to wait until release day, especially once TheWarmth and others started teasing us. And the main reason, apart from curiosity? Simple: I want to have some familiarity with the songs when I see them at Koko. To me its unforgiveable to play live dates like that and not to have already got the album out and in the ears of your fans.
me too. downloaded it this morning and drove to leeds so i could listen to it on the way. aah was just about to give my take on it, but this is the thread for people that have the will to wait (I'm Jealous - I literally cannot wait for anything!) looking forward to london, sheffield and nottingham now!!
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

LUFC_SPACEMAN wrote:this is the thread for people that have the will to wait
Or at least the will to try and wait. I may buckle at any time.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

bunnyben wrote:i get the feeling i will be underwealmed due to the enjoyment of the new songs at ac mainlines in brighton. ok who listened to the ac mainlines bootlegs by taking out the new songs so that the album will be completely new?
i stand corrected its fucking great
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
Duffy
Known user

Post by Duffy »

Yeah, I've been waiting too. I kind of stare at the album discussions that have been at the top of the music thread about the new album and then sigh and go over to the other or spaceman 3 sections. I've been trying to avoid any discussion of it whatsoever, because I'm going to get it no matter what I've heard and I want my impressions un-biased by others opinions. At least we're in the month of April now, only a little bit longer to go...
ekewebb
Known user

Post by ekewebb »

ekewebb wrote:I should have two days of listening before Koko (if the release date doesn't slip) so that'll have to be enough.
That's that idea screwed then. Now I'm really undecided about whether to download it or not.