YLYC = terrible, Lord Let It Rain on me = amazing

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

ryansocash
Known user

YLYC = terrible, Lord Let It Rain on me = amazing

Post by ryansocash »

Recently I noticed that you guys are crazy about the song YLYC, moreover, your crazy about dissing lord let it rain on me. I'd like to know what is your basis for all this? From my point of view YLYC is the worst song on the new record and possibly the worst Spiritualized song ever released, I don't in the slightest way see how its "political"..and I can't believe they are playing that in concert and not "Borrowed your gun".
When Lord Let It Rain on me is a classic from AG, its so beautiful and empty sounding. Jason's voice sounds better then ever on that studio recording.
bcastle21
Known user

Re: YLYC = terrible, Lord Let It Rain on me = amazing

Post by bcastle21 »

You Lie you Cheat is not terrible...it's a great loud blast of angst and guitar noise. Not the best ever by them, but far from the worst. I do hope they add more "new" songs to the upcoming live shows, but I can't complain about YLYC. I would agree with you that Lord Let it Rain on Me is wonderful...i would disagree with the naysayers. That song is like the epitome of Jason's plight as a songwriter/human being/husband/father/ex (not ex) drug user/etc....I love it.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

strange how fans can like different songs. I reckon You Lie You Cheat is the finest Spiritualized rocker since, oooh.. Electricity. Its a glorious burst of righteous anger that achieves what he set out to do on Amazing Grace. I don't remember anyone saying it was political. Borrowed your gun is perhaps my least favourite song on A&E (tying with The Waves Crash In).

Lord Let It Rain On Me, on the other hand, sounds like a song written by some sort of Spiritualized parody or internet lyric generator over the same two chords Jasons been using since Lazer Guided.

different strokes for different strokes it seems!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Gotta agree with Angelsighs on "Waves Crash In" and "Borrowed Your Gun" as being the 2 weakest tunes on A&E. I just find Waves.. to be far too mawkish and Borrowed... to be similarly underwhelming. YLYC doesn't raise big emotions in me either way.

As for Lord Let It Rain On Me, well Angelsighs is spot-on there too.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I was listening to Lord Let It Rain On Me the other day. It's got some pretty melodies, but there's really not much to it. I much prefer YLYC, Borrowed Your Gun and Waves Crash In. I think all three of those songs are superior to LLIROM.
ryansocash
Known user

Post by ryansocash »

Well TheWarmth, your talanted when it comes to being a nice medium here, your in a band aren't you? I forget the name but I remember that your from Chicago, I'm flying over from Europe for a few shows this Aug/Sept, our bands should share a bill somewhere in Chicago.
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

angelsighs wrote: Lord Let It Rain On Me, on the other hand, sounds like a song written by some sort of Spiritualized parody or internet lyric generator over the same two chords Jasons been using since Lazer Guided.
completely agree - the reason I hate it so much is because it´s so f-ing generic and safe.. borrowed has the same problem but X 0.1 - only my left foot blushes when i hear it so i don´t have to skip forward.

waves is like an outtake from LICD and i like it - yes it sounds like something from the conan movies but i like that too
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

I'll just chime in here and say that the reason people come out against songs like LLIROM is that they actually sound like songs. They're catchy, they have a melody and they're constructed to illicit an emotional response. I'll also chime in and say that trying to be a hipster is way more pathetic than actually being one. (That is debatable though...) Keep in mind that these are the same people who think that Sister Ray is the Velvet Underground's high water mark and that the Rolling Stones ceased to exist after Brian Jones left. My point: Just because more than 10 people liked/bought it doesn't necessarily mean it's not good.
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

Horrorflick wrote:I'll just chime in here and say that the reason people come out against songs like LLIROM is that they actually sound like songs. They're catchy, they have a melody and they're constructed to illicit an emotional response. I'll also chime in and say that trying to be a hipster is way more pathetic than actually being one. (That is debatable though...) Keep in mind that these are the same people who think that Sister Ray is the Velvet Underground's high water mark and that the Rolling Stones ceased to exist after Brian Jones left. My point: Just because more than 10 people liked/bought it doesn't necessarily mean it's not good.
Good point. As music is very personal, I think that people have problems sharing "their" bands. I think that's fair to them....not fair to bands and VERY annoying to deal with in conversations about music with those same elitists, but everyone absorbs music in different ways, and for different reasons.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Quite interesting actually as I rather agree with the theme of the title of this thread, although possibly not as harshly.

I don't really like You Lie You Cheat. For me it falls in the exact category that scratch describes as 'generic and safe'. Making a growling racket like that is pretty effortless for a guitar noise expert like Jason and I'm guessing he didn't have to think too hard to come up with its structure. It's better live, purely for the onslaught of wah-wah and distortion, 2 effects I'm particularly fond of.

I've always loved Lord Let It Rain On Me - I felt it one of the best tracks off Amazing Grace. Sure it's simple but does that matter? You Know It's True from LGM is glorious, partly for its simplicity. It was $26 who first mentioned a dislike for LLIROM and I've sinced noticed several other people with a similar attitude. At the time I was amazed as I thought it stood out as a great song, but then such is the obsession so many people for Spiritualized there are bound to be big differences of opinion. Look at the 'new vs. old material' debate - that will never end...
gottafire
Known user

Post by gottafire »

I think both tracks are fantastic. YLYC doesn't raise in me massive emotions the way LLIROM does but for it's part it's a brilliant example of what J does best, and that is make the hairs on your arms stand on end. True enough the live versions kills the album version every time but isn't hindsight a wonderful thing?
There will always be the old vs new debate...they aren't the same band they were in 1990 or, indeed 2003, they've evolved and anyone expecting them to suddenly churn out another LGM or PP is a fool. It'll never happen. Not unless they bring out a special edition :lol:
http://spiritualizedelectricmainline.blogspot.com/

The place for live Spiritualized®!!

Now with added Tufty power!!!
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

what we need is an album of JUST the garage rock numbers from amazing grace through to a&e (and beyond!) cause they're the best he's done in spiritualized. well, apart from on fire. and electricity.

well my point is that the blend of the rockers mix has changed slightly since we let it come down and that i fucking love them maybe more than i do the more lazer guided examples such as electricity and that i really would love to see a 30minute album of those three minute rockers, just to see if it can fly - cause individually, cheapster and ylyc in particular, i dig them, y'know?

the idea of accusations of self-parody is dangerous ground, but if there's one number than is guilty of it i would surely agree lord let it rain on me would be it. it does rescue itself when it sneeks up on me, but at other times it's not my favourite thing in the world.

edit: oh! how could i forget?! j's singing on this album is fucking brilliant, easily his finest lp vocally and ylyc features one of the great highlights - to be (sort of) precise (i think it's) the second "all", so damn fun.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

I think this thread just goes to show what an obsessive lot we can all be.

I'm sure there have been time when I've thought LLIROM is pure drivel and I know (have wittered on about) that it also has the effect of simple clear light. Today it may be drivel, tomorrow it may be the light.

It's like LAGWAFIS...I've said on here it's purely an entrance hymn for Come Together but the other night it sounded like the best thing since 50/50 Crusts Away.

I will say right now though that YLYC is beltin'. Any news on the follow-up single too Soul on Fire, spazed99?
Surely YLYC is a contender. I'd love to hear that on the wireless instead of some demi-perm singing about his "emergency".

I agree (although just quickly proof-read) what jock white sais...feel he's returned to form a bit with the rockers...the albums (LICD & AG) did get a little "paint by numbers" with there 50/50 rockers and ballads/slow songs...nothing has really lept out in that department (for me) since Electricity so it is a nice thing.

I'm still waiting for an instrumental piece to rival Born Never Asked...if this instrumental was Dutch...it would be Total music. The fact that BNA is "old" spiritualized has nowt to do with it...it's simply triumphant.
Shoulders back, smash it
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

i like all the songs mention yet find LGM to be the weakest ablum that he has released as the songs don't feel finished and it is only through the live experience that they can really live. LLIROM was the first spz song i heard and loved
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
ryansocash
Known user

Post by ryansocash »

The final truth in this posting is that YLYC and LLIROM give Spiritualized contrast, and a needed one. if every song was in the style of just YLYC or just LLIROM I wouldn't even listen to them.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

they're both spiritualized by numbers really
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

While I'd agree that Lord Let It Rain On Me is the kinda song Jason could write in his sleep, I still think it's a pretty fine example of that kinda song, no problems with it here.

You Lie You Cheat is also a great track, much better live than on record too.