80's and early 90's US psych

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

runcible
Site Admin

80's and early 90's US psych

Post by runcible »

I obviously know the UK scene pretty well from that era but I'm curious about a lot of the American bands.

I'm a huge Plasticland fan - one of the great unsung acts from the time. Their music started as more of a 60's pastiche style - The Pretty Things were obviously the blueprint they worked from, but by the end they got heavier and more fuzz-laden. After they split Fabulon Triptometer appeared and released one superb crunching psychedelic album - Padded Lounge. I never hear anyone talk about this yet it's really excellent and much heavier than Plasticland ever were, occasionally veering into Heads style guitar madness.

Plan 9 were another good act, although they started in the early 80s - Dealing With The Dead and Frustration are classic cheesey 60's style psych, but they made lots of really good music later on too and seemed to have an extraordinary number of people in their line up.

Then there was the 'L.A. Paisley Undergound' scene which spawned the wonderful Rain Parade. Their music was lighter but just as good - more Byrds-ish in style but occasionally getting into some fairly tripped out territory - Emergency Third Rail Power Trip and Explosions In The Glass Palace are exceptional. From them came Opal, another brilliant yet underrated band (their T Rex styled Happy Nightmare Baby is one of my favourite ever albums), who ended up as Mazzy Star. I never really got into The Three O'Clock and although The Bangles were considered part of that scene initially I can't say they appealed to me. The Dream Syndicate - also from a slightly earlier period - were excellent in parts. The Days of Wine and Roses is a fantastic album and an essential part of that scene. I think The Things were also part of this - their Coloured Heaven LP is very laid back and gentle but still a great listen, but they were less good with each release.

Also worth mentioning - Thin White Rope (the vocals grate after a while), Yo la Tengo (sort of),

The point of this is that I reckon there must be large areas I've not tapped into. There are many Americans on this board who must have a good handle of this scene - can you guys tell me a few more good bands from that same period that were genuinely psychedelic? The best music from then is really incredible - I could do with finding out about a few more. Suggestions?
A saint
Known user

Re: 80's and early 90's US psych

Post by A saint »

Oh, Opal! I cut my teeth on the so-called Paisley Underground scene here in LA, saw all those bands (Dream Syndicate et al) many, many times. I assume you know True West, whose "Hollywood Holiday" received an expanded reissue last year. They're worth checking out, as are the earlier, less rootsy Green on Red releases.

I presume in addition to Happy Nightmare Baby you know Opal's sublime "Early Recordings?" That's not just my favorite record of that period, but among my favorites of all time. (A little internet scouring should turn up the unreleased "Early Recordings 2," which is also worthy.)

Not American--in fact they were Australian--but do you know the early Died Pretty stuff? If you like the things you mention, I'm sure you'd LOVE the singles and EPs collected on "Pre Deity," at the very least. "Mirror Blues" in its full ten minute incarnation is the best Suicide homage this side of you-know-who's.

A couple other American bands of that period--a little more jangly than full-on psych, yet more psychedelic surely than, say, early R.E.M.--worth investigating would be 28th Day and Absolute Grey, whose excellent "Greenhouse" was reissued a few years ago.

I'm sure I'll have additional thoughts later.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Some good tips there - thank you.

I know Opal's Early Recordings but much prefer Happy Nightmare Baby for David Roback's incredible electric guitar sound. I have heard Early Recordings 2 somewhere - I must find that CD!

Early REM is OK but a little poppy for what I'm after. Murmur is pretty good.

I don't know True West and haven't heard any early Green on Red but I'm aware of them.

Died Pretty - I have a Winterland 7" which is fantastic. Speaking of Australia I like quite a lot of The Church's stuff but again it's a little light for what I'm after.

Thanks for the ideas - I shall see what I can find! Let me know of some more bands - I prefer the heavier and more psychedelic stuff so Plasticland reign supreme over all what I've heard.

I also remembered Game Theory who made 1 good album - Big Shot Chronicles.
stimey
Known user

Post by stimey »

early green on red was good, but not so much psych. rain parade were the dog's balls, and opal only made it better. music to take drugs...etc
there was a really great stooges/spacemen sounding one from athens, ohio in the mid 90's called kill surf city. they played the bars to hashed-out hipsters and junkies. i think the only thing available is on an indie comp of bands from the town. seems like it was called only when i pee. coupla other decent bands on there too.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Ha! Haven't heard anyone mention the Fabulon Triptometer album in....well, ever! I thought I was the only one who bought that record. Might just dust it off and listen to it again.

'Salon' was always my favorite Plasticland album and you are right about Thin White Rope. Their 'Moonhead' LP is fantastic.

I'm also fan of EARLY Miracle Workers (local boys as well!). Perhaps more garage than psych but their 1st LP and 'Moxie's Revenge' (demos etc.) are full of fuzzy garage psych. Avoid their later stuff as they morphed into a metal band and even left Portland for Germany to tap into Europe's metal market.

Marshmallow Overcoat also made a couple good albums. In fact, speaking of the Overcoat, Tim Gassan wrote the brilliant 'Knights of Fuzz' book, which covers the 80's/90's psych scene perfectly. For all your answers runcible, look no further than here. But, I think he now only sells a cd-rom of this book. Highly recommended and it also comes complete with old videos of many of the bands mentioned in this thread.

BTW, anyone pick up an album called "Mystery Lane"' by The Purple Outside? Solo album by one of the guitarists from Screaming Trees. Great guitar heavy psych album that went unnoticed by many. Like the Fabulon Triptometer...it is a real gem and worth searching for.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Thanks for that redcloud - most useful. The book is impossible to find but I'll consider the CD version.

Fabulon Triptometer's album is quite amazing - I've been playing it loads recently. I also bought a John Frankovic album 'Space Zombie' that has some Plasticland-ish moments and which I've been enjoying.
sonic124
Known user

Post by sonic124 »

This looks like it could be something your looking for Runcible havent had the chance to listen yet
http://lost-in-tyme.ucoz.com//blog/2008-07-01-246