Questions from a new poster

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Shinesalight
Known user

Questions from a new poster

Post by Shinesalight »

I'm new to this message board stuff but have been a big Sptz fan since Recurring was released - and I only bought that as it was being signed by some bloke in Rough Trade in London. Wasn't till quite a while after that I realised who Sonic Boom actually was! Funny autograph with a triangle/eye effect...strange. Anyway, was wondering if anyone out there could help me with a few questions as follows:-

1) Has the song "Things Will Never Be The Same" ever been released as a studio version on any format? I have it as a live version on the second CD in the Let It Flow series but haven't seen it elsewhere and its not on either of the Complete Works that have come out so far.

2) I've heard a lot about an Elvis remix of L&GWAFIS but haven't seen this about either. Any ideas where I can get this?

3) Finally, where would I be able to get my hands on a copy of "Fucked Up Inside" or am I wasting my time? I was sent a postcard years ago when I was on a old mailing list with an offer to send away for it. Never took the offer up and have been kicking myself ever since! Also would be interested for any info of any other Sptz live material on CD.

Sorry if any of the above questions have been asked, asked and asked again but, like I say, I'm new to this game and only went on to this message board for the first time the other day. Have been through a lot of stuff on the archived sites but theres a hell of a lotta stuff to get through.

Many thanks, Ads...
Ian

Post by Ian »

Spiritualized have never recorded a studio version of Things'll Never Be The Same, but there is the Spacemen 3 original which is on The Perfect Prescription.

As others have discussed recently, the "Elvis" verison of L&G... can only officially be found on early promo copies of the album. But it's all over SoulSeek. As is Fucked Up Inside. Copies of both surface on eBay from time to time, but they're both pretty scarce and are likely to set you back a bit.

Whereabouts in Brighton do you live? We should go out for a beer...

Love,

Ian
vigil
Known user

finding records

Post by vigil »

i'd be kicking myself too!
well, i would think it's hard to find stuff in england cuz it's the band's hood and all...but maybe if you know people in the states they can do some shopping for you.
i've found alot of stuff at record shops in san francisco and berkeley, CA.
Aomeba record stores seemed to always have a stash...maybe they have a website.
anyway, that nook in the world always gots some stuff to score...you can take that for all it's worth
paz.
p.s.
is it grey skies in your neck of the woods?
still falling
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

1. 'Things' is a Spacemen 3 song - from Perfect Prescription. Many other studio versions available.

2. Someone said the Elvis mix is on Complete Works 2 but I don't own either of those compilations. Available freely on the web, but the original promo CDs are pricey.

3. Ebay, or download it from some illicit site. It's easily obtainable music-wise although the CDs and vinyl are certainly sought after.

Welcome aboard...
Shinesalight
Known user

More help needed!

Post by Shinesalight »

Cheers everyone for getting back to me so quick with the info. Without sounding too naive...whats the best place to go for downloading music. Believe it or not I've never done it and am only really starting to use this bloody computer I've had for ages. Probably due to the fact I've now got broadband but more likely down to the lack of a girlfriend!!!

Anyway, would appreciate any advice on this matter. Please bear in mind though that my PC is around 5 years old and is a Windows 98 model. Also, many people have told me to try places like Kazaa, Soulseek etc. as they're free and very easy to use. However, whenever I search for these sites on Google I come up with loads of matches and they all seem to have monthly subscriptions. Where am I going wrong?

Cheers, Ads...
Clownbait
Known user

Post by Clownbait »

http://www.slsknet.org/

post here once you get it all installed and I'll hook you up with all the stuff you need.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Cheers matey. Have installed Soulseek now, but it all looks rather confusing. What do I do now? Do I have to have music files on my computer for other people to access?

Ads...
Ian

Post by Ian »

I'm sure there must be a guide to this somewhere, but in short;

- You first have to go through the setup, which is pretty self-explanitory.
- Part of this is to specify the folder that you want to share. Anything you put in this folder will be available for anyone else using SoulSeek to download.
- You don't have to share anything, but SoulSeek allows users to block or ban people from downloading from them, and many people will block downloads from users who aren't sharing much, on the basis that it's a "share and share alike" idea, not just for people to pop along, grab stuff, and leave.
- Once you're up an running, click on Search Files, enter a search term, and wait a minute or two.

And remember, file sharing is bad and wrong.

Love,

Ian
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Soulseek seems to have it's own sets of users rules - although to be fair people with Spiritualized live tracks are often very generous.

There's a facility for sending messages to users, so often just by asking you can get someone to put you to the front of the queue.

Sometimes you'll find users will try and download whole folders worth off you, and will have nothing to share... my advice is just be reasonable. If you download a few files at a time, you're far more likely to get them than being greedy.

And finally.. rare Prince or hip hop? Forget it. Those mothers will ONLY share if you have something equal to offer them(unlikely)...bastards.

Let's spread the love.

Anyone want to hook up via Soulseek.... PM me.

All the music I have at the moment is on there...

BUT as Ian says, P2P filesharing is dangerous, illegal and likely to wake the dinosaurs up... or something. :oops:

PS Lars Ulrich hates it too, so listen to Lars.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Thanks everyone, I think I've just opened my eyes to whole new world...there goes my social life out of the window!!! Just downloaded a couple of Spacemen 3 tracks but heading out now so will probably get the computer working overtime tonight. There seemed a lot of people in the queues for the Fucked Up Inside tracks....anyone out there who can help me out with a shortcut? Will probably be back online later this evening so will check this site out again then. Once again, thanks for all being so helpful. Going to book tickets tonight for the RFH gig so may see some of you there?

Ads...
appledelphy
Known user

Post by appledelphy »

and if you want bootlegs or unreleased concerts go to:
http://www.sharingthegroove.org/msgboard/

no spz or sp3 right now but I´ve dl:d 7 or 8 spz shows from that location this year.. they are in the "grey zone" since nothing there has been officially released.[/url]
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Gosh...the help and info just keeps coming. Have been practising a bit on the old Souldseek and have downloaded a few things. Trouble is, when I play the tracks on my media player they seem a bit jumpy. Is this down to my computer being a tad old/crap or the versions that I'm being sent. Also with regards to the D/L speed avg., is it a case of the higher that number the better the quality or is it just the quickness of the download.

I will get the hang of this!!!!

Ads...
mark
Known user

Post by mark »

to the bods in brighton, i am also there. i will burn lagwafis elvis etc and see you for a pint, if possible ?