Spiritualized vs. The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

NarcoTerrorist
Known user

Spiritualized vs. The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band

Post by NarcoTerrorist »

Has anyone else noticed that the rave-up at the end of "Baby I'm Just a Fool" is a bit like the old Bonzo Dog Band classic "Intro and Outro"? That's the one where Vivian Stanshall rattles off various improbable-sounding contributors ("...and a very relaxed-looking Adolf Hitler on trumpet...and the Count Basie Orchestra on triangle...") as the band vamps. "Baby" has that sort of feel at the end, with flutes, horns, etc. being slowly added as the band keeps hammering away at the riff.

I think "Baby" is the stand-out track of the album BTW. Catchy, lighthearted, groovy.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

is wrote:'Canyons of Your Mind' is tailor made for a Spiritualized cover version.

Meanwhile, in a similar unlikely Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band cross reference, this time with Love, I'm intrigued by the refrain "We are normal, and we want our freedom", contained in another Bonzo's song, and the similar, but more plaintiff call at the end of one of the songs on Forever Changes ("... they're coming to take me away, they're throwing away the key. I wonder who it'll be tomorrow, you or me... we're all normal and we want our freedom."). Who said it first?
not sure which came first but now you've got me thinking of napoleon XIV's 'they're coming to take me away' which scares the hell outta me. as far as i can tell that was from 66, forever changes was the year after and then the bonzos album was 68. might well be wrong though..

anyway on the subject of the bonzos, my favourite track has got to be rhinocratic oaths... particularly the last bit:

Much as he hated argument or any kind of unpleasantness, Ron Shirt thought things had gone too far when, returning from a weekend in Clacton, he found that his neighbour had trimmed the enormous hedge dividing their gardens into the shape of a human leg. Enraged and envious beyond belief, Ron seized his garden shears and clipped his white poodle Leo into a coffee table. "That'll fix it", thought Ron, but he was wrong. The following Wednesday his neighbour had his bushy waist-length hair cut and permed into a model of the Queen Elizabeth and went sailing. Everywhere he went people said "Hooray!" Sometimes you just can't win.

p.s. i'm the urban j spaceman