New Verve song

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

radioshack
Known user

New Verve song

Post by radioshack »

Anyone heard the new Verve song Music is Noise? It's on their myspace I believe should you wish to check it out.

I don't really know what to make of it be honest. Didn't really strike me at all on first listen.
TheWarmth
Known user

Re: New Verve song

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm listening right now. Weird. Not what I was expecting. Going to play it again.

Edit: Well, not bad. The vocal sample thing is maybe a little over the top, but it's interesting. I could deal with a bit more McCabe, but he's definitely there. Ashcroft's voice sounds good, too. That being said, I have a feeling the track is going to get the thumbs down from most people here.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

Oh God. Make it stop. It's awful...
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

twentysixdollars wrote:Oh God. Make it stop. It's awful...
Haha...spot-on...I got 4secs in and I was thinking the same...surely even Dick aint happy with that.

"Love is noise, Love is Pain, the worst of solo Dick and the Verve now sound the same."

Radioshack and TheWarmth have been exceedingly diplomatic in finding some kind words (or avoiding harsh words) to say...for me it's GASH and what's worse is I've championed that fooka and late Verve stuff for donks...anyway I'm sure they'l seduce enough people to be a greatest hits band.
Shoulders back, smash it
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

It sounds like that "vida loca", itunes only horseshit that Coldplay just put out...
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Come on, it's not awful. Fall Out Boy is awful. I'll agree that it's no "This Is Music" or "Slide Away," but don't we tend to go overboard here sometimes with harsh criticism? Yes. Perhaps I am being diplomatic, but that last thing I'm going to do is completely rip the new Verve after hearing it only a few times. The last album I listened to that I honestly thought was awful was that of Sunset Rubdown. Let's try to keep things in perspective a little bit. Sheesh.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I'll tell you whats even worse, I dont even care anymore. I dont care about the new single, the new lp or any tour.
Apathy is worse that criticism. And that is where i am at w/Verve who played the best show i have ever seen.
Sad.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

spzretent wrote:I'll tell you whats even worse, I dont even care anymore. I dont care about the new single, the new lp or any tour.
Apathy is worse that criticism. And that is where i am at w/Verve who played the best show i have ever seen.
Sad.
Yeah...totally disillusioned by them now...they are a pastiche of a pastiche of something somewhere...some memory that has been saturated by something else...Seconded...they were a ridiculously monstorous live act but now...yes Sad sums it up very aptly...it is akin to the passing of something hearing that new song...*off to look at the cover of ANS and shake my head*
Shoulders back, smash it
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

at least you can hear nick's guitars. if you take out dicky asscracks vocals it could be pretty good.

otherwise i have no clue what they are trying to accomplish other then creating something for
stadiums and/or dancefloors.

M
Design.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I think the vocals sound good, but the lyrics are weak. It's the same nonsense mumbo jumbo Ashcroft has been spouting off for the last seven years or so. Oh well. This thread is starting to depress me. I don't even think I want to know what the consensus is on the new Primal Scream single.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Warmth:
I have learned in my old age that sometimes it is in my best interest to cut bait with some bands I used to love. I saw this coming a mile away with Urban Hymns. I like it slightly more than I did when it came out. Its a good record but way below par compared to the two previous Verve records. Then this bullshit solo career by RA. Some of the worst records to come out of that whole scene.
And apparently, from what I can glean from the snippets of recent shows, reviews and comments its the same old shit.
Is RA so paranoid of the power of Nick McCabe's guitar? Seems so. Too bad because that WAS VERVE!

I liked the last Primal Scream record. I'm not sure of the rabid folowing they get on this board but thats my opinion. I'd always be interested in something new they put out.

Now Radiohead? Just kidding!
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

TheWarmth wrote:I think the vocals sound good, but the lyrics are weak. It's the same nonsense mumbo jumbo Ashcroft has been spouting off for the last seven years or so. Oh well. This thread is starting to depress me. I don't even think I want to know what the consensus is on the new Primal Scream single.
Haven't seen/heard it...y'know what Warmth we have a piss-poor channel over here called E4 and they do music from 6am to whenever in the morning...Loaded was on this morning and I think it and songs of that ilk/era don't really matter to me anymore...I don't think they're timeless but more to the point what music really is. Music is maybe just a periodical identity. Throwing a few others in here; Slowdive, MBV, Telescopes, Ride et al don't think it's saying much now (on the odd occasion i listen) either musically or lyrically (if it ever did). Same with the Verve...there was a time when they had something to say, had identity/drive/direction...now, now I fear they have a hand in both camps (past and present) but without a firm grasp on either. I think that's where the apathy extends from. And even I can say that Ricardo is spouting the same guff now as has been evident since UH.
Shoulders back, smash it
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

spzretent wrote:
Now Radiohead? Just kidding!
No don't Kid, eh!
I was thinking something about these Top100's of all time ever, ever, EVER. How the fcuk is r_ ad ioh e a_d Ok Computer or The Bends relevant today? Along with Nirvana/Floyd/Zep/Beatles.
The best albums ever have been the same best albums ever for donks...with a sprinkling of Coldplay n shit.
I know it's all industry wankology with the Top100's but what do they say that we didn't already know?
I don't know...forgive me I'm thinking aloud...about a big question thats troubling me..

I concur...it is good to have a clear out every so often.
Shoulders back, smash it
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I can agree with a lot of what you guys are saying. It's just hard to accept that fact that one of the bands you used to absolutely love is going down the shitter. I don't even really listen to Urban Hymns anymore. Everything up to that point in the Verve's career still very much excites me.

As far as the Scream go, I'm honestly not a big Screamadelica fan. I think Vanishing Point and XTRMNTR are brilliant and the peak of their output. Riot City Blues sucked, IMO. Talk about pastiche. I'd rather listen to Evil Heat, which is basically XTRMNTR taken two steps too far. We'll see about the new one. I kinda like the new single, but it's not setting my world on fire.
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

they played that tune at a bunch of the shows this past year and i hated it immediately. bad U2 impression and U2 sucks hard to begin with. however the 2 other new songs i've heard actually sound pretty good so i'm not giving up just yet. mccabe is still my favorite living guitarist.

it could be worse - this could be my moment anyone?
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

i think it's great, a return to form. you have to remember this is at 96kps too
:)
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

TheWarmth wrote:...I don't even think I want to know what the consensus is on the new Primal Scream single.
Having only heard it once - on radio 6 next door - its sounded great! Pretty full on guitar...

I also heard a bonkers bbc6 mix by Andrew Weatherall where he played his remix - just finished that day he said - of a new Scream number 'Uptown'. It's total cosmic disco...man! But yeah, sounded awesome.

Bring on the Scream - new album out very soon too! :D :D

I'll leave the verve to you guys... :lol:
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

burningwheel wrote:i think it's great, a return to form. you have to remember this is at 96kps too
Are you talking about the new Scream or new Verve?
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

TheWarmth wrote:
burningwheel wrote:i think it's great, a return to form. you have to remember this is at 96kps too
Are you talking about the new Scream or new Verve?
verve. but the new scream stuff is amazing as well. you can download the recent xfm gig in my forum. more new tracks debuted!
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

I've only heard the new Verve song once or twice, and yes I was being diplomatic as more often than not music never truly hits me immediately. But I think Music is Noise is a huge disappointment. The vocal sample just ruins it. Ashcroft vocals are ok, but the words are really poor. And because it's through my laptop I can barely hear Si or Nick. Eeek, hope the whole album doesn't sound like this.

Haven't heard the new Primal Scream song. It's funny, Bobby Gillepsie has been all over the Daily Record and Sunday Mail here in Scotland, proclaiming his love for Abba and pure pop. Personally I prefer XTRMNTR and Vanishing Point over Screamadelica or their more conventional output.

Compared to Oasis, The Verve, Manics and Blur, you have to admit Radiohead are doing pretty well. And Spaceman is doing even better than Radiohead.

Wow, this Verve song isn't getting any better with each listen.
gottafire
Known user

Post by gottafire »

oh ffs!!! My browser froze with this song playing?!! What the hell happened to all that talk of it being a return to VERVE!!! You know? Before THE got added?! I mean I love A Northern Soul and still play it beginning to end these days but A Storm In Heaven is true quality...
Forget being diplomatic about this shite they just churned out...and after those jamming sessions sounded so promising too. I thought throwing McCabe in there to sort out the Ashcroft drivel would finally put an end to all that 'I Get My Beat' bollocks...but to me it feels like Ashcroft and friends...just like the tour did :roll:
This girl has ranted enough...I'm goin to bed
http://spiritualizedelectricmainline.blogspot.com/

The place for live Spiritualized®!!

Now with added Tufty power!!!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I've listened to it a few times now. I can't say that I don't like it. It's very catchy (even that sample...in a very bad, "Barbie Girl" kind of way...) and easy to listen to. But the fact that it has the Verve name on it is very odd. It seems like it's just picking up where Ashcroft's solo stuff left off. Maybe they are looking for a Coldplay support slot? I mean, the Thaw Session is pretty great, but this is very...different. We can only hope that the album has more Thaw Session tracks on it.
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
mark
Known user

Post by mark »

New Verve
New Scream
AND i'll say it, new Spz - Not very good.

My opinion
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

it sounds like the verve sound like live these day...*falls asleep midsentence*
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Y'know...and I hate to knock something further when it's toppled but the following lyric (in reference to the emotionless IMO new single) speaks volumes;

"Imagine the future, woke up with a scream, I was buying some feelings from a vending machine"

Seems like it's all came through then...the new tune is bereft of anything nr to or as on the pulse as that line but not a million miles from it.
Shoulders back, smash it
bcastle21
Known user

Post by bcastle21 »

mark wrote: AND i'll say it, new Spz - Not very good.

My opinion

...How dare you?!

Nah, just kidding. But I must completely disagree on this one.
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

According to Pitchfork, the new album is going to be called Forth... clever. :wink:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news ... um-details

I have to admit that the new song is pretty bad - I think I'm being generous in saying that it sounds like a bad 12" remix of a Verve song... on the less generous side of things, I'd just say it sounds like Kasabian...
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

eleKtroniK:musiK wrote:Y'know...and I hate to knock something further when it's toppled but the following lyric (in reference to the emotionless IMO new single) speaks volumes;

"Imagine the future, woke up with a scream, I was buying some feelings from a vending machine"

Seems like it's all came through then...the new tune is bereft of anything nr to or as on the pulse as that line but not a million miles from it.
prophetic eh? shakespeare is kicking himself that he missed this one!
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

This doesn't have anything to do with anything, but I'll say it anyway. I think I hate Coldplay now. I don't just not like them, I hate them now...
twentysixdollars
Known user

Album tracklisting:

Sit & Wonder
Love Is Noise
Rather Be
Judas
Numbness
I See Houses
Noise Epic
Valium Skies
Columbo
Appalachian Springs

Looks like the band probably intended "Sit & Wonder" to be the first single (would explain why they started playing it live so early)...most intriguing tracks though are the totally new ones, especially "Columbo" ("excuse me, sir...just one further question...") and "Noise Epic"???
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

Horrorflick wrote:This doesn't have anything to do with anything, but I'll say it anyway. I think I hate Coldplay now. I don't just not like them, I hate them now...
i love parachutes, not just like but love :D
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

i was sitting on the fence a bit, but now i've gotta admit, Love Is Noise isn't doing much for me either. It is rather garish and plastic, and Nick is nowhere to be heard. I will spout the usual caveats though- at least the band are doing something different, not repeating themselves, etc etc.

Having said that I think everyone needs to chill out. A band do one song you don't like and you completely write them off? jesus.

That tracklisting looks interesting $26- Sit and Wonder as opener is wise. Awesome song. There's one song I'm glad didn't make it- 'Mona Lisa'- apparantly a glam rock stomper. We already have an Oasis.
jahman
Known user

Post by jahman »

they played this song in Vegas and it sounded great live. A big wash of McCabe guitar throughout.
the recording does sound a very radio and antiseptic. dissapointing.
from what I understand the record is pretty diverse, so lets not write them off yet. Sit and Wonder is great as well as Thaw Sessions. If we get at least 3 solid tracks, it'll be a hell of a lot better than the new SPZ album.
Ashcrofts lyrics are suffering, but at least everythings not "on fire" or about Jesus.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

angelsighs wrote:i was sitting on the fence a bit, but now i've gotta admit, Love Is Noise isn't doing much for me either. It is rather garish and plastic, and Nick is nowhere to be heard. I will spout the usual caveats though- at least the band are doing something different, not repeating themselves, etc etc.

Having said that I think everyone needs to chill out. A band do one song you don't like and you completely write them off? jesus.

That tracklisting looks interesting $26- Sit and Wonder as opener is wise. Awesome song. There's one song I'm glad didn't make it- 'Mona Lisa'- apparantly a glam rock stomper. We already have an Oasis.
I have to agree with you that now is not the right time to completely write off the Verve. Perhaps the album will be a complete clunker and then we can lay into them, but for now all they've done is released an overly-polished, radio-friendly single (which will likely be a hit) that doesn't draw on the strengths of their first two albums enough to please most of the forumites here.
twentysixdollars
Known user

TheWarmth wrote: I have to agree with you that now is not the right time to completely write off the Verve. Perhaps the album will be a complete clunker and then we can lay into them, but for now all they've done is released an overly-polished, radio-friendly single (which will likely be a hit) that doesn't draw on the strengths of their first two albums enough to please most of the forumites here.
Well that's sort of mild - it doesn't draw on the strengths of Urban Hymns either. And you're making it sound like we don't like this cut simply because it's different. I don't like it because it sucks.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

No, I'm not saying that "we" don't like it because it's different. I'll be the first to admit that it's not as good as their older material, but my feelings are that A. the new song doesn't "suck" and isn't "awful" (these are exaggerations ... as I said before, Fall Out Boy is awful, the new Verve is more "meh, could be better") and B. angelsighs had a point when he said that we should relax and wait for the album before writing off the band. Finally, I do think that "Love Is Noise" sounds somewhat Urban Hymns-ish.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

TheWarmth wrote: Finally, I do think that "Love Is Noise" sounds somewhat Urban Hymns-ish.
For me that's something of a 'non-recommendation'!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I agree with you Runcible. I've found that Urban Hymns hasn't exactly aged well. I was extremely excited about it at the time, but I very rarely listen to it anymore.
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

TheWarmth wrote:Urban Hymns hasn't exactly aged well
I still listen to it from time-to-time, but it's always the other two albums I find myself reaching for when I want to hear The Verve...

It's funny - of the big 4 albums/bands that got heaps of praise and helped to define '97 for me (Urban Hymns, Vanishing Point, OK Computer and LAGWAFIS), it's really only Spiritualized/LAGWAFIS I give much of my time ten years on.

I'll definitely pick up Forth and even though Sit & Wonder sounds pretty good live, my expectations for the album as a return to form have been significantly lowered by the release/inclusion of Love Is Noise...
twentysixdollars
Known user

I play Urban Hymns all the time. It's as good as ever. Pretty sure I prefer it to A Northern Soul (though it's not quite in the same rarefied league as Storm in Heaven). I worry about 'Forth' ('Four'? 'Fourth'?) as so far Verve have an unblemished record.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

twentysixdollars wrote:I play Urban Hymns all the time. It's as good as ever. Pretty sure I prefer it to A Northern Soul (though it's not quite in the same rarefied league as Storm in Heaven).
I play 4 songs - I think of the rest a couple of songs are Ok and much of the rest is horrible. I couldn't even think of comparing it to A Northern Soul which is for me their greatest album and something I play regularly.

Once again our opinion is firmly divided!
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Oh hang on...it's a grower...taken on it's own merits...i dunno...expected more...it's not a the Verve song for sure.

This is nothing like what is on Urban Hymns...head to the last solo album Keys to the World and then play the title track...similar.
Shoulders back, smash it
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

jahman wrote:from what I understand the record is pretty diverse, so lets not write them off yet.
Way too late sorry.
If we get at least 3 solid tracks, it'll be a hell of a lot better than the new SPZ album.
Them are fightin' words!
Ashcrofts lyrics are suffering, but at least everythings not "on fire" or about Jesus.
And that would explain his excellent solo career. He IS the reason Verve lost it imho
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Ha! This thread is awesome. I just put on Urban Hymns for kicks. "Sonnet" ... yuck. $26, you're losing your mind if you think UH is better that ANS. Sorry.
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

TheWarmth wrote:Ha! This thread is awesome. I just put on Urban Hymns for kicks. "Sonnet" ... yuck. $26, you're losing your mind if you think UH is better that ANS. Sorry.
I think they are eachy-peachy...I find ASIH a bit of an odd family member of the three, myself.

Anyway, for anyone who is into the way this thread is going...head up to the "search" button and type in "Verve" or "the Verve" or even (go on, I dare you) "Ashcroft" and you will be met by evenings worth of text to entertain yourself...bring a flask and some cucumber sandwiches if you're in for the long haul...
Shoulders back, smash it
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

new track is a turd. but the other 2 new ones sound pretty good to me. i agree with meatloaf that 2 outta 3 ain't bad so i'm hoping for the best and i'll surely give this entire lp a chance before dismissing it from one tune. nick mccabe can't be written off that easily.

urban hymns is a great record. not every song of course.

i love weeping willow and i'd put that up against any song they've ever done.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I can't wait for the album, if only for the debates it will spark on this forum. I jumped over to a Verve forum for a little bit and found their lot seriously divided on the new track, which was surprising. For some reason, I figured they'd all simply be gushing over it. Stereotypes are a time-saver.
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

warmgun. wrote:
TheWarmth wrote:Urban Hymns hasn't exactly aged well
I still listen to it from time-to-time, but it's always the other two albums I find myself reaching for when I want to hear The Verve...

It's funny - of the big 4 albums/bands that got heaps of praise and helped to define '97 for me (Urban Hymns, Vanishing Point, OK Computer and LAGWAFIS), it's really only Spiritualized/LAGWAFIS I give much of my time ten years on.

I'll definitely pick up Forth and even though Sit & Wonder sounds pretty good live, my expectations for the album as a return to form have been significantly lowered by the release/inclusion of Love Is Noise...
Fucking right. For me, Vanishing Point runs a close second though...
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

SpaceLine wrote:
i love weeping willow and i'd put that up against any song they've ever done.
and this is music- those for me are the verve
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

Horrorflick wrote:Fucking right. For me, Vanishing Point runs a close second though...
Yes, that's kind of where it lies for me too... I just don't feel myself drawn to it much these days.

Strangely, I've received email notifications from 3 of the 4 aforementioned bands (all but Spiritualized) in my inbox this week... it's like '97 all over again. :?
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

eelnekwah
Known user

Post by eelnekwah »

Myself,my lady and some good friends went to the Eden gig Friday night.I personally didn't get into them til much much later- 5 or 6 years ago maybe.Started off buying Urban Hymns then found the other two and got it that way.Anyway-I went to the Eden gig.I gotta admit,I went into this with a fair portion of doubt as the only time I've heard any of the verve back catalogue live is when I saw Ashcroft at Exeter Uni a few years ago-he played a few old songs.I left this gig thinking I had possibly seen the worst gig ever-To me it seemed the (backing) band were only there to fill the stage and the whole night was an avenue for dickie to showboat/vent his spleen/display cocky northern bravado for the gathered crowd.
Although I cant lay claim to how they were back in the day - I got "it" (the verve sound) on friday night.And judging by the crowd reaction they seem to be pulling the right strings again - even if the encore was ,lets say,extremely predictable.Drugs/Bittersweet/Love is the noise.And on that note -my view on the new single. On the first listen I got about half way through and turned it off.Not what I was expecting.But-saying that-it sounded good on friday night. But I was pretty tanked up by the time this was played
twentysixdollars
Known user

Outtake, "Mover", now available to download - will be familiar to 'old-school' fans from '94/5

http://www.vervedownload.com/

Pretty good - their most Zeppy track ever. Heartening compared to "Love Is Noise". I'm assuming this will be on the b-side to "Love Is Noise", but if not I'll be disappointed as it's quite enjoyable.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Dang, I forgot to download before I left for work. Now I have to wait until I get home to listen. I did recognize the title from various live bootlegs of it. I may just pretend that "Mover" is the new single, assuming that it's better than LIN.
twentysixdollars
Known user

The older version (of "Mover") was extremely similar to "Star Sail", which is probably why they never recorded it. The new version is a bit faster and louder and the similarity is less pronounced, though it's certainly still there.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Damn, "Mover" is badass! This sounds like it could have been on A Northern Soul. Nice!
amusiciansopinion
New user

Post by amusiciansopinion »

I disagree entirely with all these comments.

You clearly all have a very narrow and limited apreciation of music.
gottafire
Known user

Post by gottafire »

As much as I don't like Love Is Noise they played it really well at Glasto and the lightshow to go with it was awesome in my opinion. Isn't this from the guy who does SPZ lightshows?
Mover has always been a favourite of mine from the bootlegs. This is great...
http://spiritualizedelectricmainline.blogspot.com/

The place for live Spiritualized®!!

Now with added Tufty power!!!
twentysixdollars
Known user

TheWarmth wrote:Damn, "Mover" is badass! This sounds like it could have been on A Northern Soul. Nice!
Yeah, it's pretty awesome, isn't it. Kind of a relief, if they're confident enough in their new stuff to throw something like this away.

I have to admit, the fact that the opening of "Love Is Noise" paraphrases Blake (just like "History") amuses me a little.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Ahhh, and you can tell that they cut off Mover prematurely. I wish we could have had the full version, which is probably a minimum of 5 minutes long. It's really nice to have a decent mp3 of a new track instead of a shitty myspace stream. I seriously think that we might appreciate the new single a little more if we could have a higher quality version, although Mover is obviously a far superior song (the production is fucking awesome ... Richard's voice sits perfectly in the mix, as do McCabe's guitar parts).
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I think you are all being entirely too hard on Love Is Noise and (gulp) Ashcroft's solo career.

Yes, McCabe IS The Verve sound and we need more of him, but when Richard delivers (and I think he's consistently good for 3-4 GREAT songs a record, even through shitty production and mediocre collaborators) I think he's the best rock singer of his generation.

Love Is Noise is a catchy, propulsive track that's a real grower. I hated the sample at first and now am charmed by it, and if you listen carefully to the higher quality versions floating around on the internet McCabe is all over it. Not a Verve classic, but definitely a smart single and a solid song. And the production is too clean, but a far sight better than the neutering job Chris Potter (and yes, an insecure Richard Ashcroft) did on Urban Hymns mixing the spaciness so low.

Mover, I'm indifferent about. Always one of their weaker unreleased tracks, this version is an improvement that showcases the muscularity of the band but cannot rise above the essential mediocrity of the melody and lyrics. McCabe is too busy being Jimmy Page to give us his trademark cosmic sound, even the more rockified version we heard on ANS.

Historically, I like the Verve even better than Spiritualized and, on the basis of an extraordinary live performance I saw a few months ago, I retain high expectations for the album even if LIN doesn't immediately vault itself into their best material.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

jadams501 wrote:I think you are all being entirely too hard on Love Is Noise and (gulp) Ashcroft's solo career.

Yes, McCabe IS The Verve sound and we need more of him, but when Richard delivers (and I think he's consistently good for 3-4 GREAT songs a record, even through shitty production and mediocre collaborators) I think he's the best rock singer of his generation.

chris martin?!?!? is that you???????
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

amusiciansopinion wrote:I disagree entirely with all these comments.

You clearly all have a very narrow and limited apreciation of music.
Ashcroft is that you??!?