New Primal Scream Songs/Video

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

toomilk
Known user

New Primal Scream Songs/Video

Post by toomilk »

...so moving from one new song to another, here is a link to the video for the new Primal Scream song "Can't Go Back":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8JHgu4XZOQ

Another new song: "Urban Guerrilla" (+ download). Yeah, don't mind the visual of the guy dancing with Uzis.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t382ezhQFUg

Bobby G and Mani talking about the new album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOavewLhDQA

"...it's the sound of a band having a good time...recorded and mixed in about 5 weeks time."

"Urban Guerrilla" sounds like a continuation of the Riot City Blues stuff. Seems like a b-side or a song that didn't make the RCB cut. As for "Can't Go Back," my mind doesn't want me to believe that this is really Primal Scream.

Album is set to come out on the 21st.
Shinesalight
Known user

Re: New Primal Scream Songs/Video

Post by Shinesalight »

Think they may have opened their set at the Neil Young Hop Farm thing yesterday. Not brilliant is it? Must admit, they weren't all that yesterday...they got better towards the end of their set when they played a few of the "classics". My big bug bear with the Primals is that they never seem to want to play a festival friendly set (see yesterdays gig and, more obviously, that Glasto appearance a couple of years ago). Though I kinda admire that they stick to their guns and play what they want to play, I just think they sometimes slip up on the chance to really blow an outdoor crowd away. I always expect so much from them and end up disappointed.

Classic moment yesterday when Bobby told the crowd to fuck off after they were booed after announcing that they were going to play another (predicatbly mediocre) new song!
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
laid back in the sun
Known user

Post by laid back in the sun »

first motorhead now hawkwind covers, whatever next?? still gotta love the scream tho
hey man theres a hole in my nose where all the money goes
laid back in the sun
Known user

Post by laid back in the sun »

correction! now that i think about it wasn't motorhead originally a hawkwind song? bobby must be a fan 8)
hey man theres a hole in my nose where all the money goes
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

Lemmy was originally in harkwind wasn't he? Maybe Bobby all about Lemmy - everyone's a Lemmy fan surely? . .

I've been consistantly disappointed by the scream for a while now. All mouth no trousers, all style no substance and all skin no sausage - erm . . . so to speak.
mark
Known user

Post by mark »

Primal Scream - Shite, FACT
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

Ads wrote: My big bug bear with the Primals is that they never seem to want to play a festival friendly set (see yesterdays gig and, more obviously, that Glasto appearance a couple of years ago).
that would be a short set

moving on up
loaded
swastika eyes
kill all hippies
kawolski

um

rock i guess
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

mark wrote:Primal Scream - Shite, FACT
Indeed! Everything is awful. Nothing is good. Primal Scream have never released anything even remotely worth listening to! Sigh. I think I'm going to go throw up now.
mark
Known user

Post by mark »

My opinion is there was a time, when they were extremely important and meant a lot to me, musically. Like The Verve, they need to pack it in before it gets embarrasing. Frankly yesterday, they sailed dangerously close to the wind.
He is undoubtably a tremendous front man, and still looks the part, the band however.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I didn't like Riot City Blues, but I wouldn't say they need to pack it in. The overwhelming negativity here sometimes gets to me. I just don't get how you can say that the band who released Screamadelica, Vanishing Point and XTRMNTR are "shite." Perhaps you meant that the current line-up isn't as good as the Scream of old, but that's not the way it read.
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

Hardly a major revelation, but I think that above all else, throughout their entire career they've had a serious identity crisis... and that's what ofter dampens my enthusiasm for them. It's natural to go through changes, but they really do take the prize for following trends, radical make-overs, etc.

On the one hand, I like them for that, but on the other hand, their output is extremely hit and miss as a result... Personally, I really enjoy Screamadelica, Vanishing Point and XTRMNTR, mainly because there's a natural progression there (obviously G.O.B.D.G.U. doesn't fit that mold) and even though the rest have some redeeming moments, I can take them or leave them for the most part.

For this reason, I suspect I'll be passing on the new one as it simply seems like an extension of that trend...
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

:roll:

narrow minded
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

No, I don't think so. :? I'm genuinely a fan of pretty much every genre they've been influenced by and have taken on board. I'm just saying that a lot of what they do comes across as pastiche, especially when you look at their catalogue as a whole...

I sincerely applaud them for having a passion for music, etc., but I don't necessarily think that they need to visit every single genre out there. :lol:

Or maybe I'm just cranky after watching that video. Like I said, I genuinely like a lot of what they do. Hell, I even have all of the Vanishing Point and XTRMNTR singles!
acoustic spaceman
Known user

Post by acoustic spaceman »

i love the scream. the last album was pish but hey they have made some of the best music ever heard. a band like oasis never changes their sound and it gets boring. the fact the primals are still relevant in this day and age is down to not only good songs and music but a willingness to try new ideas and stay fresh. i love the new single and hope the album is good.
acoustic spaceman
Known user

p.s

best ever song they did was the underrated 'STAR'.

magic
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

acoustic spaceman wrote:p.s

best ever song they did was the underrated 'STAR'.

magic
Definitely one of their best... it's a beautiful song. Love the melodica, love the horns!
supershonn
Known user

Post by supershonn »

never heard of them....
acoustic spaceman
Known user

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

supershonn wrote:never heard of them....
:lol:

Thats the thing with Primal Scream - people either love them or hate them. I mean really hate them!

I fuckin' love 'em.

Even that last album, seems to be totally panned nowadays - even from quarters that raved at its release.
I'm totally in love with that album to this day. There's no songs there I wouldn't want to hear. Even the potentially lesser tracks are gold to me - '99th Floor', 'Hell's Coming Down' etc. And the fantastic 'Boogie Disease'. 'Riot City Blues', total lost classic!

Maybe a bit like 'Give Out But Don't Give Up', which to this day has all negative 'too retro' shit around it - has anyone actually heard the George Clinton songs for a start? Way more forward thinking than most from 1994. And the slow, sad songs are excellent. False media - we don't need it do we.

In the last couple of weeks i've been totally hammering a few, particular songs - 'Movin' On Up' which is still completely beautiful, sort of the perfect rock n' roll song. Also really into 'Miss Lucifer', thats just a total head-rush. In fact, out of all their albums 'Evil Heat' might still be the one I like the best. Just for 'Miss Lucifer' ...and 'Skull X'! Bring it on.

And bring on the new album...out next week I believe and I look forward to hearing it...the Scream never let me down

:twisted:
O P 8
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

BzaInSpace wrote:
supershonn wrote:never heard of them....
:lol:

Thats the thing with Primal Scream - people either love them or hate them. I mean really hate them!

I fuckin' love 'em.

Even that last album, seems to be totally panned nowadays - even from quarters that raved at its release.
I'm totally in love with that album to this day. There's no songs there I wouldn't want to hear. Even the potentially lesser tracks are gold to me - '99th Floor', 'Hell's Coming Down' etc. And the fantastic 'Boogie Disease'. 'Riot City Blues', total lost classic!

Maybe a bit like 'Give Out But Don't Give Up', which to this day has all negative 'too retro' shit around it - has anyone actually heard the George Clinton songs for a start? Way more forward thinking than most from 1994. And the slow, sad songs are excellent. False media - we don't need it do we.

In the last couple of weeks i've been totally hammering a few, particular songs - 'Movin' On Up' which is still completely beautiful, sort of the perfect rock n' roll song. Also really into 'Miss Lucifer', thats just a total head-rush. In fact, out of all their albums 'Evil Heat' might still be the one I like the best. Just for 'Miss Lucifer' ...and 'Skull X'! Bring it on.

And bring on the new album...out next week I believe and I look forward to hearing it...the Scream never let me down

:twisted:
i concur!
:mrgreen:
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]