gangsta ashcroft don't dig no hatazs

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

bunnyben
Known user

gangsta ashcroft don't dig no hatazs

Post by bunnyben »

:roll:

The Verve slam 'haters' at T In The Park

The Verve played an epic headline slot at the T In The Park festival tonight (July 11), bringing 'Bitter Sweet Symphony' to the masses in Scotland.

During the set, frontman Richard Ashcroft slammed critics of the band, referring to an article in a newspaper published earlier today that had criticised them.

The show included old favourites such as 'The Drugs Don't Work' and 'History' as well as two new songs.

Shortly into the set, frontman Richard Ashcroft declared the T In The Park crowd to be the greatest audience on earth.

Ashcroft was wearing blue jeans, a yellow t-shirt and a leather jacket. He sank to his knees and gestured to the crowd as he took to the stage at 10.15pm (BST), leading his band through opener 'This Is Music'.

The singer then donned a semi-acoustic guitar to play 'Sonnet' with the band, making a hugging gesture as the song ended.

"Thank you, greatest live audience in the world," he said before playing 'Space And Time'. "That's something Guardian writers don't understand."

He was referring to an opinion column that appeared in the newspaper today, in which the band's relevance was questioned.

Later in the set, Ashcroft mysteriously asked the crowd: "Which lead singer of a '90s band told me he was now a mod? 'I've been baggy but now I'm a mod.' Any guesses?"

The band then played 'Sit And Wonder', a the opening track from the band's forthcoming album, 'Forth'.

Ashcroft later dedicated 'The Rolling People' to "['Scarface' character] Tony Montana, ['The Sopranos' character] Tony Soprano and all the haters."

He then shouted, "it's Friday night at T In The Park, let's have it!" before leading into the song and upping the ante of the set.

A large cheer erupted from the crowd as the singer later announced 'The Drugs Don't Work', while similar applause was heard for 'Lucky Man', which Ashcroft dedicated to his wife, Kate Radley.

"Do you know what it's like to write a classic?" he then said, triggering screams from the crowd as they guessed which song was coming next.

"Some of you in this crowd are going to write a classic tune," he added, before playing 'Bitter Sweet Symphony', which had fans in hysterics as they waved their hands in the air and sang along.

The song bled straight into new single 'Love Is Noise', which saw Ashcroft dancing down the wings of the stage then dropping to his knees and roaring, before heading off backstage.

The Verve played:

'This Is Music'
'Sonnet'
'Space And Time'
'Sit And Wonder'
'History'
'Come On'
'Life's An Ocean'
'The Rolling People'
'The Drugs Don't Work'
'Lucky Man'
'Bitter Sweet Symphony'
'Love Is Noise'

from nme.com
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
throb
Known user

Re: gangsta ashcroft don't dig no hatazs

Post by throb »

Apparently the rest of the band were there as well.
SPZ outpatients - forum radio on LAST.FM
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

throb wrote:Apparently the rest of the band were there as well.
Probably cringing and hiding behind the backline...maybe checking Google Earth to see if Ashcroft's ego had completely obscured Kinross from view :(
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZ!
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
noOne
Known user

Post by noOne »

when are they gonna ditch this weak azz set list for some real shit?
Lord Please Fuck My Mind For Good
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

They won't because they have a million 20 something bittersweet fans that have no clue what came before it.

M
Design.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

You guys really expected them to play "Let The Damage Begin" and "Already There" at the festivals?
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

Not exactly; but I think a festival would lend itself to the following;

A Northern Soul, A New Decade (would be a braver opener than This is Music), Blue, Slide Away, Gravity Grave.

12 song set list as follows, please;

Bitter Sweet Symphony
Blue
Rolling People
A Northern Soul

*acoustic medley section (no gaps but including nice McCabe noodling from Sonnet into Brainstorm Interlude)

Make It 'til Monday
Where The Geese Go
So Sister
Sonnet

Brainstorm Interlude
Gravity Grave
Slide Away
Come On

In all honesty...I think like the majority of people I'm just missing the intesity from the tunes these days. I've spent the day comparing recent (07/08) performances to older (95-97) ones. There's a lack of hunger in the newer ones...although after slating the tune "Sit and Wonder" in another thread...can't get the fcuka out my head today.
Shoulders back, smash it
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I think it's a bit much to expect "Where The Geese Go" and "So Sister" at a festival. I haven't been listening to booglegs much anymore, as I get frustrated with the poor quality, and since I haven't seen them live in the Urban Hymns tour, I can't comment on the "lack of hunger" you mentioned. A friend of mine was at the Vegas gig, though, and loved it. All this being said, I'm still looking forward to hearing the album. Curious how the studio version of "Sit And Wonder" will sound.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

TheWarmth wrote:I think it's a bit much to expect "Where The Geese Go" and "So Sister" at a festival. I haven't been listening to booglegs much anymore, as I get frustrated with the poor quality, and since I haven't seen them live in the Urban Hymns tour, I can't comment on the "lack of hunger" you mentioned. A friend of mine was at the Vegas gig, though, and loved it. All this being said, I'm still looking forward to hearing the album. Curious how the studio version of "Sit And Wonder" will sound.
I think the b-sides would go down well with a setting sun...like the idea of a late afternoon opening onslaught...acoustic sesh with the sun going down and even I agree that McCabe can turn Sonnet into a futha mucka...Brainstorm to kick the groove back in and then a big finale...was going to plum for a Come On/This is Music mash-up to end...keen to hear the stuff from ASIH reworked as I've always found it a bit floaty.

I dunno what it is...there seems to be something missing at the minute...the new tracklist for Forth is up on wiki if you care a butchers...as is the Oasis one.

I'm curious too...doesn't matter how many times them and I fall out...there's always gonna be a lifeline thrown...sometimes in there direction, sometimes in mine.
Shoulders back, smash it
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Don't get me wrong, I think a setlist like the one you put together would be fantastic. I just don't think it's going to happen at the festivals where they're inevitably going to stick with mostly hits. "No Knock On My Door" would be nice, though.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

As much as I love The Verve, that review is disgusting.

"Do you know what it's like to write a classic? You get to be sub-par for about a decade before people realize you are riding off of the wave of that classic."
noOne
Known user

Post by noOne »

TheWarmth wrote:Don't get me wrong, I think a setlist like the one you put together would be fantastic. I just don't think it's going to happen at the festivals where they're inevitably going to stick with mostly hits. "No Knock On My Door" would be nice, though.
The very first time i ever saw The Verve was at a Festival in 1994. you may have heard of it, Lollapalooza. needless to say, they fucking played an amazing set of psychedelic rock & roll.... why wouldn't they be able to do it today?
Lord Please Fuck My Mind For Good
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

initially there's no money in inventiveness but it's the (2nd) comeback- and people actualy care this time, so they would be able to get away with it in their own gigs probs not a facist fest like glasto though
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

toomilk wrote:As much as I love The Verve, that review is disgusting.

"Do you know what it's like to write a classic? You get to be sub-par for about a decade before people realize you are riding off of the wave of that classic."
Kev, think this was Dicky' way of conneKting with the crowd. Sounds a bit blase...I even intepreted his "what time is it" point at the rolex on friday night to be antagonistic...didn't help that only a very select handful were going bananas to This is Music.

He did follow his "classic" line up with "some of you will right a classic too".

The review is bog-standard typical fare...style of clothes/what he said/what he did...oh yeah and the music...for this celebrity obsessed world. Have you seen the footage of T in The Park? It really wanes at points...where's the intesity?..where's the fire? Too much wondering and pondering of late me thinks...get back to the telling it like it is lyrics. Anyway...away again...funny the old Verve/Ashcroft/McCabe shit drives everyone slightly doo-dah.
Shoulders back, smash it
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

just as a point of interest do promoters at the big festivals ever write in the bands contract that they have to play a certain number of singles/hits/singalongs?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

noOne wrote:
TheWarmth wrote:Don't get me wrong, I think a setlist like the one you put together would be fantastic. I just don't think it's going to happen at the festivals where they're inevitably going to stick with mostly hits. "No Knock On My Door" would be nice, though.
The very first time i ever saw The Verve was at a Festival in 1994. you may have heard of it, Lollapalooza. needless to say, they fucking played an amazing set of psychedelic rock & roll.... why wouldn't they be able to do it today?
I'm sure they still could do that, but keep in mind they had no hit singles at that time and were playing the second stage of Lollapalooza in the middle of the day to small crowds.
purpleorla
Known user

Post by purpleorla »

Must go and find the Guardian review that pissed ole Dickie off so much, I feel the writer and I would get along famously. I don't understand why people are always talking about the Verve on this forum. I mean, aside from the fact that Richard Ashcroft is the most up-his-own-arse conceited non-member of Oasis on the planet, and apart from the whole love triangle fiasco, the fact is they haven't released anything worth listening to since ASIH (an album I still love). Everything since then has been Yawn-Ville Central, and of story... although I do find it quite amusing that the profits from his so called "classic" are lining the already overflowing pockets of Mick Jagger & Co :lol:
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

http://music.guardian.co.uk/rock/commen ... 69,00.html

This what you're after? Oh and may I do the honours to ring the bell for round 35.... :arrow:
Shoulders back, smash it
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

A Northern Soul is "Yawn-Ville Central?"

(slaps purpleorla with glove)

I challenge you, sir, to a duel. I demand satisfaction.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

purpleorla wrote:Must go and find the Guardian review that pissed ole Dickie off so much, I feel the writer and I would get along famously. I don't understand why people are always talking about the Verve on this forum. I mean, aside from the fact that Richard Ashcroft is the most up-his-own-arse conceited non-member of Oasis on the planet, and apart from the whole love triangle fiasco, the fact is they haven't released anything worth listening to since ASIH (an album I still love). Everything since then has been Yawn-Ville Central, and of story... although I do find it quite amusing that the profits from his so called "classic" are lining the already overflowing pockets of Mick Jagger & Co :lol:
Seconded.
TheWarmth wrote:A Northern Soul is "Yawn-Ville Central?"

(slaps purpleorla with glove)

I challenge you, sir, to a duel. I demand satisfaction.
You'd hit a woman? Shame on you Warmth! :wink:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

lol, I'll fight her for ya TheWarmth :wink: JOKING of course.

You guys should stop "hating" on Dick or he's gonna keep talking abut the haters and we're gonna have to keep reading about it. :|
I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.
-D. H. Lawrence
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

eleKtroniK:musiK wrote:http://music.guardian.co.uk/rock/commen ... 69,00.html

This what you're after? Oh and may I do the honours to ring the bell for round 35.... :arrow:
OUCH!!! This guy went beyond hating, he put a proper cogent verbal assault on Ashcroft. No wonder he couldn't recover before he went on stage, I mean, what a roasting complete with appropriate accurate musical comparisons ! No wonder Ashcroft roared on stage, his ass was still sore, lol

---
"Then comes the Verve's Forth and the sound of Richard Ashcroft, a man who never got over being hero-worshipped by Noel Gallagher, the crown prince of past-pinching. Track five on Forth, Numbness, is so nakedly Breathe by Pink Floyd that it's embarrassing. Then there's some Gallagher-style lyrical barrel-scraping on track two, the new single, Love Is Noise. In short: Richard was blind, he didn't see, he was lost, and the road was way too long.

Here's the thing: if Forth was a Richard Ashcroft album, no one would care. People care because of the all-men-together mythology that surrounded big 90s bands. Primal Scream and the Verve, like Oasis and the Stone Roses, were products of the blokeish pack mentality that emerged after the communal ecstasy of the dance music scene had got weary. It was an easy concept to sell and the mainstream media loved it, but it painted an inaccurate picture of what the 90s were about.

How do I know? I was there. I wasn't a journalist lost in the wild world of money, music and methamphetamines at the heart of the 90s, but a band-obsessed teenager. I adored male British groups from the dull safety of my suburb, a place from which they all looked like gods. Then, at 1996's Reading festival, I watched the Stone Roses play their appalling last gig and the myth fell apart. I crowd-surfed out of the pit to watch Underworld, and spent the rest of the decade enjoying innovators like them.

We should be happy that acts such as Underworld are still around, as we should about other 90s bands still pushing boundaries. The ambition of Portishead's Third, the innovation of Tricky's Knowle West Boy and Damon Albarn's never-quenched thirst for the next collaboration are just three other examples of what made that decade great. Forget Gillespie and Ashcroft: if you're looking to the past for inspiration, our beautiful futures lie with these real heroes."
I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.
-D. H. Lawrence
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Sorry, didn't realize Purpleorla was one of the rare female species here.
purpleorla
Known user

Post by purpleorla »

That's ok Warmth, it didn't hurt...much! I stand by what I said though, I think ASIH is a great album and everything that came after was simply inferior. I always find it more upsetting when bands that you know are capable of greatness fail to deliver, the most recent example for me being Primal Scream, who's recent efforts have been so bad and made me so angry that for a while I couldn't even listen to their earlier stuff without wanting to slap them all repeatedly, and hard! Very hard. I'm getting angry just thinking about them now in fact... Grrr, and they think they're so great :evil: In the case of the Verve though, in my opinion they only ever produced one great album, and y'know, fair play to them for that, it's one I always come back to a really do love, but I just don't think they have or ever had another one in 'em....I just wish someone would explain this to Dickie!
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

not really current Dicky hating stuff but I have a mildly amusing story about him from when the Verve were good (oooo harsh).

NME writer (at the time) Johnny Cigarettes had just written a bile ridden review of them aiming most of his hatred at Mr Ashcroft. Easy target but made for entertaining reading. So Mr Ashcroft is at a European Football match in holland watching MUFC. Mr Cigarettes is also in attendence. The two bump into each other and have a chat before the game begins, in fact no, they have more than a chat. They get on famously, even to the point that when Mr Cigarettes had left mr Ashcrofts company to find his own seat Dick turns to his press person (who happened to be there too) and says "who was that? he was such a nice guy". The press person divulges to him who it was and dicky no longer smiling jumps out of his seat and starts shouting and pointing at the now far away Johnny, threatening to kill him if he ever see's him again.

Magic
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

purpleorla wrote: I always find it more upsetting when bands that you know are capable of greatness fail to deliver, the most recent example for me being Primal Scream who's recent efforts have been so bad and made me so angry that for a while I couldn't even listen to their earlier stuff without wanting to slap them all repeatedly, and hard! Very hard.
Pretty much how i feel about Spiritualized for the past while, especially in a live setting. :(
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

I remember a review of Northern Soul that was just crummy. It was short, and basically boiled the album down to hippy dippy nonsense. It really kind of angered me at the time, because to me the reviewer was going straight to the worst lyrics and ignoring the better ones, not to mention the music!

But now, it's almost as though that critic was looking into a crystal ball and accidentally told me about Forth or Ashcroft's solo stuff. Or Urban Hymns, for that matter.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

purpleorla wrote:Must go and find the Guardian review that pissed ole Dickie off so much, I feel the writer and I would get along famously. I don't understand why people are always talking about the Verve on this forum. I mean, aside from the fact that Richard Ashcroft is the most up-his-own-arse conceited non-member of Oasis on the planet, and apart from the whole love triangle fiasco, the fact is they haven't released anything worth listening to since ASIH (an album I still love). Everything since then has been Yawn-Ville Central, and of story... although I do find it quite amusing that the profits from his so called "classic" are lining the already overflowing pockets of Mick Jagger & Co :lol:
Ah, someone here feels the same way I do... finally! (a fellow female too!)
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
purpleorla
Known user

Post by purpleorla »

Thanks Sunny, and Sunray, I see your point, but at least Spiritualized have always produced great music, there hasn't ever been a dud, a lull maybe, but never a dud.
God this cyber-ranting is great, you guys are far more receptive than my real-life friends...why scream drunkenly at a real person when you can offload all of your steam from the comfort of your own couch :)
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

sunny wrote:
Ah, someone here feels the same way I do... finally! (a fellow female too!)
Hey Sunny, i think you'll find i'm with the ladies too on this one:
sunray wrote:
Seconded.
:wink:
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

:D How are you Sunray? It's been a while...I had a good time in Dublin, I seem to remember similar discussions that night, haha.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

sunny wrote::D How are you Sunray? It's been a while...I had a good time in Dublin, I seem to remember similar discussions that night, haha.
Yeah me too! Life is very good at the mo' i must say :D Were you working at Supersonic with Haino? I read a review somewhere of his set with Merzbow, sounded pretty cool & intense! :lol:
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

sunray wrote:
sunny wrote::D How are you Sunray? It's been a while...I had a good time in Dublin, I seem to remember similar discussions that night, haha.
Yeah me too! Life is very good at the mo' i must say :D Were you working at Supersonic with Haino? I read a review somewhere of his set with Merzbow, sounded pretty cool & intense! :lol:
Yep, I was! It was indeed intense in more ways than expected... it was one of the most stressful days of my life. But yeah, I was there. It's a shame I was so busy I didn't get to see any other bands. I think Wooden Shjips played the same festival.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

throb wrote:Apparently the rest of the band were there as well.
:lol:

Yeah, and if they're mentioned then a lot the critics describe them as some kind of static group behind Richard.
Multi wrote:Weak set list.
It could have been worse. And it was T in the Park, so not everyone might have liked to get more of their better songs. ^^ That reminds me of Oasis playing in Munich. After Wonderwall, several people went to the back and I was like wtf, I mean... They have much better songs than that. Though I agree, no song of A Storm In Heaven, some of the best songs on there...
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010