David Holmes

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

sunray
Known user

David Holmes

Post by sunray »

New album from Holmes on September 8th called "The Holy Pictures" preceded by a single "I Heard Wonders" on 25th August. There's a 3min. excerpt of the single on his Myspace at the moment (along with 3 other tunes off the album) and it's fucking fantastic; pure Harmonia/Neu!/La Dusseldorf type track and co-written by Martin Rev. Possibly the best thing i've heard this year, just so uplifting.
More info here: http://www.myspace.com/davidholmesofficial

I'm heading up to Letterkenny later today to see him and The Aliens, plus he's playing the Electric Picnic. :D
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
simonkeeping
Known user

Re: David Holmes

Post by simonkeeping »

thanks this is ace news. The new stuff sounds quality. good to have him back making music again
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

He played a great set Sunday night, the usual funky psych plus a couple of his new tunes to finish off with. Glad to report the crowd reacted favourably to those new ones. The Aliens, as always, were great. Gordon was also showing off a new short haircut which made him look very cuddly. :lol:
swinny
Known user

Post by swinny »

The new video (for I heard Wonders) is now up on NME.com (click the Media Player link, its listed down the left-hand side - along with the You Lie You Cheat video)...awesome stuff!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Video for I Heard Wonders here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwCBDF4robA

Lovin' this tune. :D
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

This tune has been on constant rotation for me for the past 2 weeks.

It's the best thing I've heard in ages. Cannot wait for the album.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I went to Holmes' myspace page to listen to his new single expecting pure genius, but I think you guys are over-hyping it. It's not bad, but it's not mind-blowing and most certainly not the best thing I've heard all year (right now Songs In A&E and Portishead's Third take that cake). Maybe it was just the poor audio quality of the myspace player, but I didn't hear anything particularly exciting in this track. He has certainly been influenced heavily by Neu!, but so were Primal Scream on "Autobahn 66." Sorry to rain on the parade.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Portishead?
I bought that record because I respect a lot of opinions 'round these parts.
OMG I hated it. Bought a promo of the vinyl and made it through side 2 and had to take it off.
Luckily i cut my losses on ebay.
Lesson learned.

I checked out the David Holmes track when this thread started and I thought it was pretty damn good. Not genius but defintely something i'd check out upon release date.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

TheWarmth wrote:I went to Holmes' myspace page to listen to his new single expecting pure genius, but I think you guys are over-hyping it. It's not bad, but it's not mind-blowing and most certainly not the best thing I've heard all year (right now Songs In A&E and Portishead's Third take that cake). Maybe it was just the poor audio quality of the myspace player, but I didn't hear anything particularly exciting in this track. He has certainly been influenced heavily by Neu!, but so were Primal Scream on "Autobahn 66." Sorry to rain on the parade.
Never said it was original or genius, it just lifts my spirit in a way no other tune i've heard this year does, hence the excitement. Then again i'm a sucker for anything heavy on the Neu!/Motorik influence. :D
swinny
Known user

Post by swinny »

Who's parade are you raining on exactly? You don't like something as much as other people? and?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Portishead seem to divide people. One of my good friends hates Third, too, but I checked it out because a lot of people here were singing its praises. I was never a fan before this album.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

What is it with bands that start wih P that seem to divide so much?
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

New tune with video directed by Douglas Hart. It reminds me of various things yet i can't actually pin down what.
sharmadelica
Known user

Post by sharmadelica »

It reminds me a bit of “Intervention” by Arcade Fire. But much, much better. I am a David Holmes devotee, and I’m so thrilled with his current musical direction. “Hope Is The Last Thing To Die” was immense, and so is this. The remixes of “Hope” were terrific too. I really hope there’s an album on the way. It’s been too long since “The Holy Pictures”.
Alistair
Known user

Post by Alistair »

It probably reminds you of this (if you've heard it of course!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1iz7R3H4A8

Originally a track Holmes and Gallagher worked on for Who Built Moon but Noel didn't like the chorus so reworked it later as This Is The Place. Not sure if Holmes has used the original chorus or something he came up with later.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Nope, neither of those although i see what you both mean. Interesting you mention Arcade Fire as i played it for a friend who's a big AF fan and she said the chorus had a major Arcade Fire vibe to it but she couldn't remember which song. It is quite anthemic so maybe that's where it's coming from. Or maybe that's the Noelly G. element.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

I see that David has an album out in Novembers which collects the recordings of the last few years (as well as new?) Called "Blind On A Galloping Horse" out on heavenly records

https://heavenlyemporium.com/release/41 ... ping-horse

Might put this on my Xmas pressie list? (it's christmas in 97 days, don't you know? :D )
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

stegraham wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:56 am I see that David has an album out in Novembers which collects the recordings of the last few years (as well as new?) Called "Blind On A Galloping Horse" out on heavenly records

https://heavenlyemporium.com/release/41 ... ping-horse

Might put this on my Xmas pressie list? (it's christmas in 97 days, don't you know? :D )
Finally! Great news. Had no idea this was coming. Cheers for the heads up :D
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

New album is great.

Remixes just released (including one by Sonic Boom & Panda Bear):

https://david-holmes.bandcamp.com/album/yeah-x3-remixes
Spacekadet
Known user

Post by Spacekadet »

Yeah, it's really good, isn't it? Feels really vital and relevant, with something to say and joy to bring. Loved 'It's Over Now' when it was released as a single a while back.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

It's got to the tme of year where I'm not "allowed" to buy myself new albums. I've put it on the Xmas lis and hopefully Santa will bring it!! Looking forward to hearing it though.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Spacekadet wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:18 pm Yeah, it's really good, isn't it? Feels really vital and relevant, with something to say and joy to bring. Loved 'It's Over Now' when it was released as a single a while back.
Agreed, Great Album
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

I am positively surprised about this album also. David can't hold back his political sensitivity, but has a way making it artistic. AND it is not over-produced, it's well grounded. Plain and simple - it's a goody.