Spiritualized on Letterman

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

dselevan2
Known user

Re: Spiritualized on Letterman

Post by dselevan2 »

Lol. No sweat man, I don't mind when people take a pop at me. Otherwise things would be rather boring on this message board wouldn't they. I remember that song, but I don't remember the music, and I rarely see the girl. I love the name though, it reminds me of that Roxy Music song, "For Your Pleasure." One of my favorites.

Music has been a little slow. I have a lot of respect for Spaceman, as much as I like or dislike anything he does, for his continuous output. It's really hard for me to stay inspired about recording music all the time. I'm going to take a stab at film this weekend, maybe that will help get some things flowing. I think I need some new instruments, I'm kind of burnt out on the guitar/vocals/drum machine setup that I used for many years.

Thanks for asking,

d
gottafire
Known user

Post by gottafire »

Hey Dave! Do you have anything available? I'd like to hear your stuff?
http://spiritualizedelectricmainline.blogspot.com/

The place for live Spiritualized®!!

Now with added Tufty power!!!
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

I promise- I will get my shit together and send you something. However, very weirdly the 4th position has just been taken, haha-so you'll have to be number 5!
hey Sunny, put me down as number 6 (if thats cool?).
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

sunny wrote:All in all I agree with Stuart on this...

However, I must say that I find this thread very depressing and off track. It is no longer about the music but has evolved into a criticism of Spz business sense. From my personal point of you I find it very peculiar when a fan base starts speculating about issues of marketing, sales and reaching a wider audience. This issue is one of business and a pretty fucking tedious and complicated one at that. That's why artist frequently (or mostly) try to appoint other people to deal with it (such as managers, laywers, PR campaigns). In my day to day life I would never publicly debate a stranger's financial choices or make suggestions to them of how they could increase their income or get a promotion or whatever. Someone else's business choices are non of my business! I find it very weird how quickly people are ready to comment on the financial affairs of musicians. It's like a free for all...I don't like it and I think it's totally inappropriate. Of course we all want the band to do well and for more people to discover them... but come on, now we're questioning what songs he should perform?! Nonsense I say!
I never really brought up money....i'm careful about that. I'm talking about songs that represent the band well so that new fans have a good indication about what the band is about, so that they connect with the band. I think YLYC is a fine song. Perhaps tons of new fans liked it. But something like Letterman is done to reach as many fans as possible, though is technically impossible to please everyone.
eruditemike
Known user

Post by eruditemike »

Here are my recordings of the performance in various formats (taken from DVR-ms recording):

DOWNLOAD LINK: http://www.zshare.net/download/166991451c6cc637/
FILE NAME: late show with david letterman_kcbs_05_08_2008_spiritualized_performance.flac
FILE SIZE: ~21.08 megabytes

DOWNLOAD LINK: http://www.zshare.net/audio/166996612274aebe/
FILE NAME: late show with david letterman_kcbs_05_08_2008_spiritualized_performance.mp3
FILE SIZE: ~4.54 megabytes

DOWNLOAD LINK: http://www.zshare.net/download/16701030fe638490/
FILE NAME: late show with david letterman_kcbs_05_08_2008_spiritualized_performance.flv
FILE SIZE: ~66.63 megabytes
Better than the youtube version!

Enjoy, peace out!
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Letterman's clean and glistening scythe is clearly no match for the barbarian Leno's skin-sheathed bludgeon in the game of male sword fighting. But we all wait and watch regardless.
supershonn
Known user

Post by supershonn »

sunny wrote:
supershonn wrote: see, and i was trying to make this 4 people!
I promise- I will get my shit together and send you something. However, very weirdly the 4th position has just been taken, haha-so you'll have to be number 5! :D

5th! ohhh that's so not happening. gimme the name of #4, we're gonna have to have a chat!

seriously, i know things are hectic, don't you worry about us. we got another ep we just finished recording. so that's what's on our plate as for now. mixing mixing and more mixing, fancy a holiday in Southern California???

me.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

alan_cohaul wrote: I never really brought up money....i'm careful about that. I'm talking about songs that represent the band well so that new fans have a good indication about what the band is about, so that they connect with the band. I think YLYC is a fine song. Perhaps tons of new fans liked it. But something like Letterman is done to reach as many fans as possible, though is technically impossible to please everyone.
I hope you don't think I directed my comment at you or anyone here in specific. The thread overall just triggered one of those 'pet hates' rants...

supershonn wrote: 5th! ohhh that's so not happening. gimme the name of #4, we're gonna have to have a chat!
seriously, i know things are hectic, don't you worry about us. we got another ep we just finished recording. so that's what's on our plate as for now. mixing mixing and more mixing, fancy a holiday in Southern California???
me.
No 4.- Guy Maddin (the director), he wants to use it perhaps... (rubbishing my plans for total secrecy and anonymity, haha)
I haven't been to California since the early 90's. I'm well overdue for a visit so I am sure I will be over there sooner rather than later! :D
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

alan_cohaul wrote:
sunny wrote:All in all I agree with Stuart on this...

However, I must say that I find this thread very depressing and off track. It is no longer about the music but has evolved into a criticism of Spz business sense. From my personal point of you I find it very peculiar when a fan base starts speculating about issues of marketing, sales and reaching a wider audience. This issue is one of business and a pretty fucking tedious and complicated one at that. That's why artist frequently (or mostly) try to appoint other people to deal with it (such as managers, laywers, PR campaigns). In my day to day life I would never publicly debate a stranger's financial choices or make suggestions to them of how they could increase their income or get a promotion or whatever. Someone else's business choices are non of my business! I find it very weird how quickly people are ready to comment on the financial affairs of musicians. It's like a free for all...I don't like it and I think it's totally inappropriate. Of course we all want the band to do well and for more people to discover them... but come on, now we're questioning what songs he should perform?! Nonsense I say!
I never really brought up money....i'm careful about that. I'm talking about songs that represent the band well so that new fans have a good indication about what the band is about, so that they connect with the band. I think YLYC is a fine song. Perhaps tons of new fans liked it. But something like Letterman is done to reach as many fans as possible, though is technically impossible to please everyone.
Simply put, SOF is the lowest charting single (i believe?) in the UK that Spiritualized have released...on this basis alone (i.e. fans/people who buy records and the connection established) they should have played any from the following 3...Let it Flow, I Think I'm In Love or Stop Your Crying...all Top 30 in UK.
I agree with you that SOF is probably the most radio-friendly Spiritualized song with SYC a very, very close second...but obviously not to the legion of fans both new and old.

Who knows...who cares...at present I'm more interested in the triangulation aesthetic of the on-stage line-up and the good/bad theme running with J & Angels (chanters) in light colours and the rest of the band in dark colours.
I'm not going to say that this is planned but subliminaly it has had an effect on me...
Is there some sort of presence in the centre of the triangle they are all looking at/feeding off of...

Best,

Fox Mulder
Shoulders back, smash it
squirrel
Known user

Post by squirrel »

runaway wrote:Letterman's clean and glistening scythe is clearly no match for the barbarian Leno's skin-sheathed bludgeon in the game of male sword fighting. But we all wait and watch regardless.
Sadly, this is true. What was left of Dave's edge was eliminated with his heart surgery a few years ago. But he was untouchable in that regard back when he was with NBC.
gottafire
Known user

Post by gottafire »

eleKtroniK:musiK wrote:
Who knows...who cares...at present I'm more interested in the triangulation aesthetic of the on-stage line-up and the good/bad theme running with J & Angels (chanters) in light colours and the rest of the band in dark colours.
I'm not going to say that this is planned but subliminaly it has had an effect on me...
Is there some sort of presence in the centre of the triangle they are all looking at/feeding off of...

Best,

Fox Mulder
Wasn't it once stated that the setup onstage is like that for a very good reason? Like everything was in a very specific place for a specific reason?
http://spiritualizedelectricmainline.blogspot.com/

The place for live Spiritualized®!!

Now with added Tufty power!!!
Stonedutch
Known user

Post by Stonedutch »

eleKtroniK:musiK wrote:
alan_cohaul wrote:
sunny wrote: Simply put, SOF is the lowest charting single (i believe?) in the UK that Spiritualized have released...on this basis alone (i.e. fans/people who buy records and the connection established) they should have played any from the following 3...Let it Flow, I Think I'm In Love or Stop Your Crying...all Top 30 in UK.
Why on earth would they want to play something old? That would be like a painter exhibiting something he/she painted years ago, simply because it was a success and garnered critical acclaim. Doesn't make sense to me.
"Where I stand is only three miles from space ..."
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
squirrel
Known user

Post by squirrel »

Multi wrote:While you all are busy debating the industry side of things, I'm just sitting here happy to see Jason looking like he's actually having some fun for the first time in his life!
I'm doing both.

As for playing something old...if it's in the live show and, particularly, if it's a new arrangement, I don't see any issue with playing something old. Although, I have to assume the label would frown at something like that.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Youtube really changed the world didn't it!
I honestly don't know anyone who watches late night TV, I don't know what time Letterman goes on, I can't imagine someone who isn't already a Spiritualized fan staying up that late on a normal work/school night to watch Letterman.
Now how come no one has that Leno footage, I want to see Spaceman refuse the handshake!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I think I have the Leno on VHS somewhere in LA. They did "Stop Your Crying", right?
thluzhindefense
New user

Post by thluzhindefense »

I was pissed off! I turned on the Letterman. I waited, saw the little "teaser" and the commercial came back with a whole different band! Some shitty band.

I fuckin' missed it. I thought they cancelled! Springfield must've been fucking with the shit.

Don't know why.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

porkchop wrote:Thankfully, none of the letterman band "sat in" for this one. In the 90s, there was some weird policy where only a few guest band members were aloud to play and paul and his band would fill in the gaps...usually the bass and drums where assed out.
Would this be a good example? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6ogWgG0UOY
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Rad. I kind of think Letterman's band rocks here.
purpleorla
Known user

Post by purpleorla »

Back to the matter at hand, that Letterman footage is funny as fuck, and the perfect choice of song I think- of course he was gonna let rip with the most ear-splitting of the new songs...this is not the time to hold back!

Have ye seen the comments on youtube..."this is the future of music"... :lol:

You've still got it J, it never left ya!
noOne
Known user

Post by noOne »

squirrel wrote:
Multi wrote:While you all are busy debating the industry side of things, I'm just sitting here happy to see Jason looking like he's actually having some fun for the first time in his life!
I'm doing both.

As for playing something old...if it's in the live show and, particularly, if it's a new arrangement, I don't see any issue with playing something old. Although, I have to assume the label would frown at something like that.
i get what you are saying but...the whole purpose of artists making these television appearances is to promote their current release. so it kind of defeats the purpose if you play something old.
Lord Please Fuck My Mind For Good
jasona
New user

Post by jasona »

squirrel wrote:
I'm doing both.

yep well said :P
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

sunny wrote:
alan_cohaul wrote: I never really brought up money....i'm careful about that. I'm talking about songs that represent the band well so that new fans have a good indication about what the band is about, so that they connect with the band. I think YLYC is a fine song. Perhaps tons of new fans liked it. But something like Letterman is done to reach as many fans as possible, though is technically impossible to please everyone.
I hope you don't think I directed my comment at you or anyone here in specific. The thread overall just triggered one of those 'pet hates' rants...
Cool. No harm done man.
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

noOne wrote:
squirrel wrote:
I'm doing both.

i get what you are saying but...the whole purpose of artists making these television appearances is to promote their current release. so it kind of defeats the purpose if you play something old.
Yeah, that's kind of a crapshoot, too....i've seen bands go on those late night shows and play old material, old hits. Not very often, mind you, but sometimes. I'm sure that it's tough to decide whether to do new stuff or old stuff.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say--the performance on Letterman was great! Kind of funny at the end, Jason puts out his hand for a shake and Letterman ignores him for a few seconds to shake someone else's hand, so i'm thinking, "oh crap, another Leno snub", but he was distracted for a second then shook Jason's hand.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

Stonedutch wrote:Why on earth would they want to play something old? That would be like a painter exhibiting something he/she painted years ago, simply because it was a success and garnered critical acclaim. Doesn't make sense to me.
The debate alan and I were having was along the lines of reaching a wider audience...neither of us said what they should have played...ach anyway...i can't be arsed explaining...what about the painters who didn't recieve viewings (far less critical acclaim) until they died? Or the ones that put on retrospectives because there art hasn't been enjoyed in "such and such" a country? Also...you may think that most songs are new when they are released but a lot of them are years old...crafted over time. :arrow:
Shoulders back, smash it