What Are You Listening To Now?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

redcloud
Known user

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

Post by redcloud »

'Easter Everywhere' - 2nd consequtive listen

My annual Easter Sunday album of choice. I've had this record since I was 17 and it just gets better with every listen. It is an extraordinary album from start to finish. Their 'Baby Blue' is probably my favorite Dylan cover while 'Dust' and 'I Had To Tell You' are breathtakingly beautiful. In terms of higher conciousness through chemistry I don't think many songs can outdo 'Slip Inside This House'.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

redcloud wrote:'Easter Everywhere' - 2nd consequtive listen

My annual Easter Sunday album of choice. I've had this record since I was 17 and it just gets better with every listen. It is an extraordinary album from start to finish. Their 'Baby Blue' is probably my favorite Dylan cover while 'Dust' and 'I Had To Tell You' are breathtakingly beautiful. In terms of higher conciousness through chemistry I don't think many songs can outdo 'Slip Inside This House'.
What a great idea. I'll give that a spin next. Meanwhile we are listening to Brain Donor's Drain'd Boner here at serious volume as the neighbours are giving Coldplay a listen and we can't be having any of that.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Next up:

MC5 - 'Back In The USA'

I wrote a long essay about the importance of this album. I may post it here. I'm trying to get my 11 year old son to understand just how great this record is.

Apologies too for the spelling mistakes in the above post about the Elevators album....I was typing fast while cooking our Easter roast. 8)
taikonaut
Known user
Location: at the gates requesting new passwords that never ever work

Post by taikonaut »

redcloud wrote:Next up:

MC5 - 'Back In The USA'

I wrote a long essay about the importance of this album. I may post it here. I'm trying to get my 11 year old son to understand just how great this record is.

Apologies too for the spelling mistakes in the above post about the Elevators album....I was typing fast while cooking our Easter roast. 8)
My son loves it.. (that and "the evil one" by roky).. me too of course although I absolutely hate the poor mixing/mastering.
I always have to resort to heavy equalisation when listening to that album - have done so for over 20 years.

A remastering wouldn´t be enough but if they mix it all from scratch then there surely must be some salvageable oomph, bass and bottom in there somewhere.
The Jon Landau "for nostalgic reasons I want everything to sound like a cheap radio from the fifties"-thing seems to have happened during the mixing stage. I bet the original tapes are great!

also jumping on the easter-bandwagon (the alt stereo mix from the sign box)
Jason Pierce wrote:the pop part of Spiritualized is the bit I'm most uncomfortable about
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Grateful Dead - 9/28/72 Stanley Theatre, Jersey City, NJ
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

redcloud wrote:Grateful Dead - 9/28/72 Stanley Theatre, Jersey City, NJ
Ooh - I'm just a few days ahead of you:
Grateful Dead - Palace Theatre, 9/24/72!
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

SH/SL
gonna burn brightly
for a while
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

jack white wrote:SH/SL
How is it? I'm gonna hold off, it's only one more week.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

redcloud wrote:MC5 - 'Back In The USA'
I so wish this was produced/mastered better too. KOTJ had such a powerful sound and this sounds so wimpy compared to it. I also found it much more interesting when the band were mixing up free jazz rather than just straight up rock n roll revivalism. KOTJ had that through the big, almost white noise wigouts, and High Time had the horn section
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

angelsighs wrote:
I so wish this was produced/mastered better too. KOTJ had such a powerful sound and this sounds so wimpy compared to it. I also found it much more interesting when the band were mixing up free jazz rather than just straight up rock n roll revivalism. KOTJ had that through the big, almost white noise wigouts, and High Time had the horn section
I will post what I wrote about this album in a new thread. It might make for some good discussion. In a nutshell though...I don't think it is their best album, "High Time' wins that award. But, as a band, I do think 'Back In The USA' is probably their most important album.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

redcloud wrote:
angelsighs wrote:
I will post what I wrote about this album in a new thread. It might make for some good discussion. In a nutshell though...I don't think it is their best album, "High Time' wins that award. But, as a band, I do think 'Back In The USA' is probably their most important album.
thanks, i'd be interested in reading that. for me KOTJ is still the daddy. I'd love a reissue of that as well, with the other songs played that night. Infact the bands catalogue has been pretty ill served generally. there needs to be a proper rarities compilation too.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

angelsighs wrote: thanks, i'd be interested in reading that. for me KOTJ is still the daddy. I'd love a reissue of that as well, with the other songs played that night. Infact the bands catalogue has been pretty ill served generally. there needs to be a proper rarities compilation too.
Sundazed Records have reissued all three LP's. I haven't heard their 'Back in the USA' reissue but I trust Sundazed to do a good job. Their 'High Time' looks and sounds brilliant.

Regarding rarites...there are a handful out there. One of the best is 'Babes In Arms', which was originally released on cassette only by ROIR in 1983. I actually have one that I played constantly in high school. But, at some point in the 90's they decided to release it on LP and maybe CD. I have a vinyl copy of it now too.

'Power Trip' is decent but much of it is bootleg material that doesn't sound brilliant. It's for enthusiasts and collectors only (although the 'Black To Comm' on this album is pretty awesome...listening to it now and it sounds like 'Suicide' and 'Revolution' rolled into one massive sonic assault).
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The Rain Parade - Demolition
Various roots reggae
Humble Pie - As Safe As Yesterday
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Creedence Gold
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Last night I listened to all three MC5 albums in a row. Man, this band is easily amongst the greatest rock and roll bands...ever! On any given day I may even argue that they WERE the greatest. So much power and primal energy. Listening to 'I Want You, Right Now' and the massive sonic assault, which is 44 years old can still put many of today's heavy rock bands to shame.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

angelsighs wrote:
sure i read that they used to listen to playbacks / mixes of 'Back in the USA' at full tilt on the studio monitors which clouded judgement as to what they were going to sound like when finished. live versions of some of the songs certainly do have much more welly.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

The Strokes - Life Is Simple In The Moonlight

A fantastic, melancholy gem from the last Strokes album.
taikonaut
Known user

Post by taikonaut »

spunder wrote: sure i read that they used to listen to playbacks / mixes of 'Back in the USA' at full tilt on the studio monitors.
sounds nice

and?... I like it better than the extremely overrated debut... yes it is fuckin OK!,,... but high time is a lot better than bitusa could have been... sry but it´s high time for me.. one of the best ever made!

gnorethedrunk
Jason Pierce wrote:the pop part of Spiritualized is the bit I'm most uncomfortable about
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

taikonaut wrote:
spunder wrote: sure i read that they used to listen to playbacks / mixes of 'Back in the USA' at full tilt on the studio monitors.
sounds nice

and?... I like it better than the extremely overrated debut... yes it is fuckin OK!,,... but high time is a lot better than bitusa could have been... sry but it´s high time for me.. one of the best ever made!

gnorethedrunk
I agree with you that 'High Time' was their best. But, I disagree with the statement that KOTJ is "extremely overrated". It is an absolute monster album that to this day is capable of kicking the shit out of most heavy rock bands. It's brutally raw and full of energy.

'Back in the USA'....shoddy production aside this one is not to be dismissed or overlooked.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

this mornin i blew the cobwebs from the eardrums with The Men live on WFMU. during the breakdown in 'Bataille' he starts quoting transparent radiation....excelllent stuff
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Spiritualized: Sweet heart, sweet light.

Gotta love your first listen to a new Spiritualized album.....beautiful.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

olan wrote:Spiritualized: Sweet heart, sweet light.

how would you say it compares to songs in A&E and amazing grace? i'm not really a fan of those last 2 albums. intrigued as i'm holding off listenig untill i get my copy next week....
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

My Vinyl just arrived! Playing loud and typing fast heh.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I can attest that the vinyl sounds loads better than the internet stream.

Now playing - heading for the top 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

spunder wrote:

how would you say it compares to songs in A&E and amazing grace? i'm not really a fan of those last 2 albums. intrigued as i'm holding off listenig untill i get my copy next week....
Jesus. Difficult question to answer after 2 listens. Ask me in three months time.

First record is very strong. Second record didn't hit as hard....
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Trembling Bells & Bonnie Prince Billy - The Marble Downs
Trembling Bells - The Constant Pageant (the track Otley Rock Oracle goes all over the place and is amazing)

Hard to describe the sound I guess ramped up alt punk folk :!: ,takes a couple of listens but once under your skin you'll be hooked :!:
'Remember, change is not good'
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

White Hills -No Game To Play,
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Screaming Trees - Last Words
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

a few things today-
the cure- 'disintegration'
a playlist i made and
this little gem-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZunWLFvF04Y
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Raspberries - If You Change Your Mind
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

jadams501 wrote:Raspberries - If You Change Your Mind
Go All The Way!
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Burial - Kindred EP
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Tame Impala _Inner Vision , a bit late to this ,something put me of at the time ,but this last week or so been listening ,man its good.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

mc wrote:Burial - Kindred EP
man thats good ,love it ,quite astonishing really ,35mins. of late night awesomeness,
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Sparklehorse - It's A Wonderful Life. Plain Recordings reissue, excellent job, sounds great.

Dreamt For Light Years In The Belly Of A Mountain should arrive early next week too, really looking forward to it after hearing the quality of the Wonderful Life LP. They did a great job on the first two Sparklehorse LPs as well.

It's a real shame there'll be no more Sparklehorse/Mark Linkous music, I was a big fan from the early days. RIP.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

niamhm wrote:
mc wrote:Burial - Kindred EP
man thats good ,love it ,quite astonishing really ,35mins. of late night awesomeness,
Too right. I can't even begin to describe how incredible it is.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

The Heads: Radio One

Awesome....... :D . Simply astonishing LP.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Sleepy Sun - Fever

Hottest day of the year so far (76f)...just washed my car listening to this album. What a brilliant record. I looked for their new album today when I was at RSD but they didn't have it.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

The VU - Loaded (pink vinyl RSD edition.)

Now, this is what a re-issue should sound/look like. Got "Oh Sweet Nuthin'" blaring out now (probably a bit too loud for a Sunday morning but who cares!! 8) )
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
taikonaut
Known user

Post by taikonaut »

Shinesalight wrote:probably a bit too loud for a Sunday morning but who cares!!
screw the alcoholics - sunday morning is when you should be at your loudest!

super session today and 11 minutes of non-stop dancing with the (soon) five-year-old during seasonofthewitch
also wrecking ball with emmylou
Soulaze
New user

Post by Soulaze »

the wall, revisiting tis epic album
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

So far this evening I have played the following:-

The Heads - Radio 1 (sounding super heavy but what's happened about the vinyl re-release of Relaxing With..."?

King Creosote & John Hopkins - Jubilee EP (a great accompaniment to last years great album)

Moon Duo - Remixes (so glad I got my hands on this on RSD)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Shinesalight wrote:So far this evening I have played the following:-

The Heads - Radio 1 (sounding super heavy but what's happened about the vinyl re-release of Relaxing With..."?

King Creosote & John Hopkins - Jubilee EP (a great accompaniment to last years great album)

Moon Duo - Remixes (so glad I got my hands on this on RSD)
The Heads and Moon Duo LPs are on regular rotation here. Both are excellent releases.
spaceben
Known user

Post by spaceben »

I'm new here but I figured I'd get involved with it all

I've been listening to stacks of White Hills lately. The self titled one especially. So GOOD.

And
Rhyton - S/T 12"
Pontiak - Echo Ono
Pop. 1280 - The Horror
Chrome - Red Exposure
Moon Duo - Escape 12"
Warlocks - Heavy Deavy Skull Lover

And I got fired from a regular DJ gig on the weekend for getting too amped on the MC5.
But I really think it was Spacemen 3's version of "Starship" that pushed them over the edge.
hahahaha.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

jimi hendrix experience - winterland '68 boxset. some awesome versions of 'tax free' therein!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

spunder wrote:jimi hendrix experience - winterland '68 boxset. some awesome versions of 'tax free' therein!
not got round to getting this yet, looks like a right feast of Hendrix! no barrel scrapping going on then?
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

angelsighs wrote:
spunder wrote:jimi hendrix experience - winterland '68 boxset. some awesome versions of 'tax free' therein!
not got round to getting this yet, looks like a right feast of Hendrix! no barrel scrapping going on then?
not at all...its awesome, it really is... an electric atmosphere and Hendrix and crew are sounding as cool as ever. ....worth every penny.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

lots of stuff lately. listened to 'sweet heart sweet light' yesterday for the millionth time and then started moving on to other stuff, finally.

soft speaker- 'i'll tend your garden'
jon coyle- 'night cycles'
mazzy star coachella set
sun araw- 'on patrol,' 'beach head'
real estate- 'exactly nothing'
black rebel motorcycle club- 'howl'
the cure- 'entreat plus'
lee hazlewood- 'singles lhi years'
the righteous brothers- 'go ahead and cry'
and a few 45s by solomon burke, kraftwerk and syl johnson.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Luna - Mystic Rattlers
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

I'm not listening to it yet, but Jason and Coxon are involved in a new project called Black Music Disaster.
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

Multi wrote:I'm not listening to it yet, but Jason and Coxon are involved in a new project called Black Music Disaster.
Thanks for that Multi. Sounds like this could be very good, good to see those side projects again.... http://www.contemporaryjazz.com/black-music-disaster/

I'm concerned it may not be avant garde enough for kromosapiens though.

Post by cantona »

Tinariwen - Aman Iman: Water is Life

After a great concert yesterday
ericdbn
Known user

Post by ericdbn »

When I'm taking a break from Sweet Heart Sweet Light, I've also had on heavy rotation:

Sharon Van Etten - Tramp
Flaming Lips - Heady Fwends (had such low expectations for this, but after a few listens I think it's one of their best albums of the past 15 years)
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Sim wrote:
Multi wrote:I'm not listening to it yet, but Jason and Coxon are involved in a new project called Black Music Disaster.
Thanks for that Multi. Sounds like this could be very good, good to see those side projects again.... http://www.contemporaryjazz.com/black-music-disaster/

I'm concerned it may not be avant garde enough for kromosapiens though.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

spunder wrote:
angelsighs wrote:
not at all...its awesome, it really is... an electric atmosphere and Hendrix and crew are sounding as cool as ever. ....worth every penny.
cool, I'll have to investigate then. not sure I need yet another version of Purple Haze but to be fair Hendrix often brings a different spin to songs and it also looks like he plays some songs he rarely played live like Are You Experienced and Manic Depression
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

A Certain Ratio: Live in Groningen

On vinyl, which I did not know existed. Further proof of what a brilliant drummer DoJo is.....
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

angelsighs wrote: cool, I'll have to investigate then. not sure I need yet another version of Purple Haze but to be fair Hendrix often brings a different spin to songs and it also looks like he plays some songs he rarely played live like Are You Experienced and Manic Depression
heh...Are You Experienced is awesome.....there is a monster Foxy Lady on disc 2.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

White Hills - H-p1 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

The Rolling Stones- Sticky Fingers.
on a big Stones phase at the moment due to recently finishing Keefs biog. I think this album is my favourite- it's got some amazing songs on there
there are few better opening seconds to a song than Sway in my opinion
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Sticky Fingers is my favorite Stones album, too! Absolutely perfect.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

That whole era is amazing.
Beggars, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Luminescence
Known user

Post by Luminescence »

Jools Holland's Later... on i-player. Weller is sounding good as is Jack White. Willis Earl Beal is really good too.
Hey Jayne
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

TheWarmth wrote:Sticky Fingers is my favorite Stones album, too! Absolutely perfect.
yep, it really does seem the most complete and rounded to me. like I say, some just amazing songs like Can't You Hear Me Knocking, love the jammy bit at the end
Moonlight Mile is just amazing- spooky, beautiful and otherwordly

Exile has a brilliant atmosphere and feel to it, but I think on a song for song basis Sticky Fingers takes it.

I agree with spzretent that that whole period was brilliant, when they were really on it. however I will say that although Beggars Banquet is good I don't find it quite on the same level as the others
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Today's offerings to the music Gods...

Pavement - Slanted & Enchanted
Spacemen 3 - Forged Prescriptions
Dead Sea Apes - Astral House EP
King Khan & The Sensational Shrines - Three Hairs And You're Mine
Lumerians - Transmalinnia
Magic Lantern - Platoon
White Fence & Ty Segall - Hair
White Manna - White Manna
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

angelsighs wrote:Moonlight Mile is just amazing- spooky, beautiful and otherwordly

I agree with spzretent that that whole period was brilliant, when they were really on it. however I will say that although Beggars Banquet is good I don't find it quite on the same level as the others
I agree, Moonlight Mile is stellar...and Richards doesn't even play on it.

Beggars is excellent but I don't throw it on as much as the others from this run.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Sunn O))) and Boris - Altar