What Are You Listening To Now?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Laz69
Known user

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

Post by Laz69 »

To contrast the heaviness of the Dead Sea Apes, today's listening has been Stars Of The Lid's "The Ballasted Orchestra"

Such a beautiful album.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Chris Robinson Brotherhood - 'Big Moon Ritual'

I put my name in for draw to win the official LP test pressing. Amazingly, I won! Went to the record store today and picked it up (in a mailer box straight from record plant)....test press is double LP, white label, no writing other than side numbers and no cover art. This will be filed away and wont ever be played.

Loving these long extended jams....
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

It's all gone a bit 'Berlin' at my flat, which is either a very good thing or a sign that my current state of mind is a bit, well, 'Berlin-esque'......grey, lost, claustrophobic.....which I'm really enjoying but I know I probably need some happy shit/sounds to bring out the old smiler in me.

David Bowie - Low / Heroes / Lodger
Iggy Pop - The Idiot / Lust For Life

Seriously, it's been these albums over and over and over of late. The Idiot is an incredible album and the one doing all the right things for me right now. Just the look of the album itself, grey, Iggy looking dead cool if not a bit weird, his jacket and jeans combo. Stark. Years back Mass Production used to make my head feel like it was encased in concrete but now I can't stop listening to it. Funtime is riotous, Nightclubbing a brilliant sleazy soundtrack to a numbed night out/in. The overall production, that drum sound, the total feel of it. It's my current everyday soundtrack.

Lust For Life doesn't match it for me but is still a good album.

As for those Bowie albums. My favourite is always changing. The Lodger is generally thought of as a cast off, the forgotten one, but I love it. Red Sails, Red Money, Repeition, Move On, Look Back In Anger. Incredible songs. Low and Heroes need no description. Side two of each is where my head rests most at the moment. Beautiful songs/atmospheres. The song Heroes itself can just be played over and over again and each time hairs will rise and goose bumps will appear.

These albums are proving to be an endless fascination for me, to get lost in and to live in. Maybe I should be switching to something sunnier soon..........

(Toomilk - good find with Accelerator on vinyl - I love that album - especially the skull opening guitar solo that explodes halfway through - I really dig this write up on the Head Heritage site = "Juicy" may be another tune about the big H: "it's in your blood / it's in your brain / drives 'em all insane!" And when Neil's guitar unleashes a spine-tingling tsunami of clear light halfway through this stuttering R&B thunderer, it's as good a musical approximation of drugs hitting your brain as I've ever heard.)
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Just finished working away through the entire Moon Duo back catalogue this morning. I had forgotten just how good the early e.p.s are. Great show they put on last night. I am really looking forward to Wooden Shjips next month after this....
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

olan wrote:Just finished working away through the entire Moon Duo back catalogue this morning. I had forgotten just how good the early e.p.s are. Great show they put on last night. I am really looking forward to Wooden Shjips next month after this....
lucky you ,they both gave Scotland a body swerve ,this will be the 2nd time Wooden Shjips swept throught the "UK" and gave Scotland a miss :( saw Moon Duo last Summer ,but since & before the last Wooden Shjips visit the number of friends who I know want to see the Shjips ,man its through the roof ,a lot off love waiting for them,
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Elvis Presley - Runaway

An awesome cover from Elvis' "On Stage" album. There are a lot of gems buried across his many live albums.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

The Allman Brothers Band - 'Idlewild South'

On a rainy Pacific Northwest day/evening this album still sounds like sweetness to me. Even better with my pint of Burnside Brewery Stock Ale.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

The sun has found its way through the clouds...

'Rosalee' - Chris Robinson Brotherhood
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Julian Cope: Floored Genius 2

BBC Sessions from the 80s and 90s. Brilliant stuff.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

spectrum- 'soul kiss'

finally picked up the vinyl reissue of this. it was worth the wait. i really hope that 'high, lows and heavenly blows' is coming soon- that's my favorite sonic boom-associated record.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Joni Mitchell - The Hissing Of Summer Lawns

An underrated example of this under appreciated artist's recorded output.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Was this the re-issued version recently done by Vellissimo? Have been tempted to buy this but was put off by the thread in the Spacemen 3 section which mentioned that this was not an official release and that Sonic/Spaceage were in the process of remastering/re-issuing the Sonic back catalogue on vinyl. What's the quality of your copy like?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Rick Bain and the Genius Position - Crooked Autumn Sun
Rich Robinson - Through A Crooked Sun
The Grateful Dead - 74.6.18 Freedom Hall
Brian Jonestown Massacre - Aufheben
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

the quality's good. it's 180 grams and the mix is nice and meaty. i'm used to hearing it on an ipod and i love how much thicker and clearer it sounds. it was $25 and i think it was worth it. what is surprising is that the whole album fits on a single lp and still gains sound quality. the only difference is that 'phase me out (gently)' is five minutes instead of 15.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Got rained off earlier today and went a bit Gnod-tastic when I got home. Played Chadelande Vol I & II along with Gnod Drop Out With White Hills on the record player before heading into the greenhouse to blast out In Gnod We Trust on the trusty i-Pod. Also noticed this on the Gnod website:-

"Finally we have received our remix CDs to accompany the INGNODWETRUST reissues so it’s back to business on the merch front. The reissue is on ‘bishop’ purple vinyl and includes a limited bonus CD of remixes of INGNODWETRUST done by Drumcunt, Pupilar, Raikes Parade & Mark Wagner. We now also have some more INGNODWETRUST t-shirts and a few new handmade CDRs too. As always, get in touch with multiple orders and we’ll work out a price."

Have only got ripped copy of this that The Warmth did for me so think I'm going to get a nice "bishop" purple of this. Would love to see Gnod live, especially after watching the clips they've got on their site.

One Gnod related question that maybe you can answer Paul.... which tracks are done by who on the Gnod Drop Out With White Hills album or do they all just jam out together as one?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Bo Hansson — Magician's Hat

B,

M
Design.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Shinesalight wrote:One Gnod related question that maybe you can answer Paul.... which tracks are done by who on the Gnod Drop Out With White Hills album or do they all just jam out together as one?
I heard that most of the music was played by Gnod and they sent the tapes to Dave W in New York who added his mark to them and sent them back. Sonic124 would know the answer to that for sure.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

runcible wrote:I heard that most of the music was played by Gnod and they sent the tapes to Dave W in New York who added his mark to them and sent them back
Yeah, I heard that too, though the back of the record has the whole of White Hills listed (Dave W, Ego Sensation, Kid Millions &* Anthony Oh)? :?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Electrelane- No Shouts No Calls

a fine album, a contender for my second favourite album of theirs. on their final songs here there is the usual excellent serving of angular rhythms, they suddenly decided to write some lovely pop songs too, but still with a sense of minimalism.
seems they have gone on hiatus again?
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Rain Parade-Explosions In The Glass Palace, blast from the past ,still sounds on the button 8)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

niamhm wrote:Rain Parade-Explosions In The Glass Palace, blast from the past ,still sounds on the button 8)
Nice - almost a faultless back catalogue for those guys...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

The Beatles- Sgt Peppers
I've always maintained that this is one of the most overrated Beatles albums but it was sounding pretty fine last night.. perhaps a few fluffy and insubstantial songs that I don't care for (Good Morning, Fixing a Hole..) but the production is fantastic and it hangs together so well. the sequencing is great- not a huge fan of When I'm 64 but the joyous opening bars of Lovely Rita coming in after that feels so good. and the segue from Sgt Peppers (Reprise) to A Day In The Life makes the hair on my neck stand up. I think the latter could well be my favourite Beatles song. it's very melodic but also otherwordly and exquisitely mournful.
I never fail to be impressed by McCartney's astonishing bass playing too- those bass notes just pop out perfectly.

Voice of The Seven Thunders -s/t
brilliant album, this. only 35 mins long but it packs it in. not aware of his previous work as Voice of the Seven Woods, but that was more folk based apparently. there is some nice rustic fingerpicking here too (very Six Organs) but only as breathers from some trippy muscular riffs and krautrock workouts. my favourite track is the penultimate Set Fire To The Forest- a big old jam like they used to make :)- there is a noise on here, I can't work out whether it's an fx-ed guitar or a keyboard, but it's like one fat drone note being released into space.. love it (you know when you are just in love with a particular SOUND and you don't know why??)
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Shinesalight wrote: One Gnod related question that maybe you can answer Paul.... which tracks are done by who on the Gnod Drop Out With White Hills album or do they all just jam out together as one?
I actually talked to Ego Sensation about this earlier this year. The tracks are all collaborations. Gnod recorded a load of stuff and then sent it to White Hills, who then added on what they felt necessary.

Oops, just noticed that Mark already answered this question.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Cheers Runci and Warmth. Just re-read the White Hills article in Optical Sounds Vol 3 and Dave W says much the same.... that Gnod sent over some tracks and he and the rest of White Hills added some more instrumentation to them. I'm loving this record.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Green Pajamas - Country
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

angelsighs wrote:The Beatles- Sgt Peppers
I've always maintained that this is one of the most overrated Beatles albums but it was sounding pretty fine last night.. perhaps a few fluffy and insubstantial songs that I don't care for (Good Morning, Fixing a Hole..) but the production is fantastic and it hangs together so well. the sequencing is great- not a huge fan of When I'm 64 but the joyous opening bars of Lovely Rita coming in after that feels so good. and the segue from Sgt Peppers (Reprise) to A Day In The Life makes the hair on my neck stand up. I think the latter could well be my favourite Beatles song. it's very melodic but also otherwordly and exquisitely mournful.
I never fail to be impressed by McCartney's astonishing bass playing too- those bass notes just pop out perfectly.
That first bit of Lovely Rita is a key moment of the album to me.

Love the whole album, my opinion of it has improved over time, particularly after the remasters came out. Paul and Ringo were such an incredible rhythm section -- the Beatles had the songs AND the chops to play them.

Right now, Lay Down Sally from Eric Clapton's Slowhand. Nice, understated shuffle.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

The Boo Radleys - Rodney King (Saint Etienne Remix)
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Raleigh Moncrief - Watered Lawn
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Inspired by Erik Morse's remarks mentioned in another thread, I finally got around to listening to Primal Scream's Give In But Don't Give Out.

I had never bothered because the reviews were so bad, but am actually really enjoying the album. Lots of great songs and a cool mix of the 90s ecstasy thing with classic rock. It reminds me of Second Coming, but much more disciplined. There are a few goofy moments, but Screamadelica had some filler too. Overall I'd say the record is highly underrated.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'd say that Second Coming is far more disciplined than Give Out, but maybe it's just that I like the songs on Second Coming way better. Aside from Rocks and Jailbird, Give Out is pretty much a dud. I don't have any problem with the classic rock approach, production, etc., but for me most of the songs just aren't very good. Also, the George Clinton jams are total throwaways. SC is great from start to finish. Never understood why so many people don't like it. I guess that discussion could be a thread of its own and probably already has been.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

A couple of the new Laetitia Sadier songs from the new lp that are floating out there for free. Not too big on her solo stuff but these sound pretty good...especially "There is a Price to Pay for Freedom (and it isn't Security)".
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

TheWarmth wrote: SC is great from start to finish. Never understood why so many people don't like it.
There are aspects of 'Second Coming' that I like. But, on the whole I find it a shallow piece of work. Musically, I like some of the grooves but I don't believe Ian Brown's blues and several songs feel bogus (imho).
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

I'm a really big stereolab fan and I'm holding off on the new sadier stuff until the album comes out, good to hear you like it though.

I'll have new can stuff waiting for me when I get back home in two weeks, I'm really excited. Has anyone gotten to listen to it yet? Well I guess not because they come out today, but is anybody picking them up?
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

TheWarmth wrote:I'd say that Second Coming is far more disciplined than Give Out, but maybe it's just that I like the songs on Second Coming way better. Aside from Rocks and Jailbird, Give Out is pretty much a dud. I don't have any problem with the classic rock approach, production, etc., but for me most of the songs just aren't very good. Also, the George Clinton jams are total throwaways. SC is great from start to finish. Never understood why so many people don't like it. I guess that discussion could be a thread of its own and probably already has been.
I LOVE Second Coming, and overall think it's a better album than Give Out. Give Out is more disciplined, I'd say, but the Roses were the better band. It's just that Give Out sounds like a real studio album, while Second Coming is a sloppy mishmash of jams and ideas. There are some things I don't regularly listen to on that album, but it feels like hanging out in the studio with the band.

Right now, giving Primal Scream's Vanishing Point a try. I'm underwhelmed so far.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

The Orb/David Gilmour: Metallic Spheres

Found in yet another box of stuff we hadn't opened since we moved house. No idea where it came from.....
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

jadams501 wrote:

That first bit of Lovely Rita is a key moment of the album to me.

Love the whole album, my opinion of it has improved over time, particularly after the remasters came out. Paul and Ringo were such an incredible rhythm section -- the Beatles had the songs AND the chops to play them.
cool, not just me then!
amen to that- I think Ringo is sorely underrated too. his drumming is full of character and really melodic fills that are perfect for the song. A Day In The Life is a great example.

I think I've stated my opinion on Second Coming before- I really like it. musically it's superb and the sound of a band firing on all cylinders. those boys could really play. it's more varied than many give it credit for too (the three singles alone encompass slide blues, jangly pop, and dance. and the acoustic songs are great). I can sort of see redclouds point though- some of the songs seem more like genre exercises (particularly the blues of Driving South or Good Times) that Ian Brown's heart doesn't seem to be in. he certainly is not expressing any genuine blues. but I guess that's what you get when a band are falling apart and you are singing someone else's lyrics.

currently playing: Galaxie 500- Peel Sessions. never heard this before. sounding really great, they do a few covers and totally transform Submission
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

The Black Angels - Watch Out Boy (RSD 7")

Completely forgotten about this as BRMC's Howl Sessions, The Head's Radio 1 and The VU's Loaded from this year's Record Store Day have so far dominated my record playing time. Couple of cracking tunes from the Angels with a real 60's psych pop feel to them.

Hookworms - Split 7" with Kogumaza

Well, after quickly realising that this 7" is NOT to be played at 45RPM this is sounding great. Was well impressed when I saw them a couple of weeks ago in Brighton and it was nice to meet our very own Matt Benn (think he must be getting a bit bored of people saying how young he looks though!!! :oops: ) and pick up this single from him. Really looking forward to the album.

Edit: The B side to this is pretty special too. Not heard of Kogmaza before....going to look out for this chaps.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Ty Segal And White Fence -Hair ,just started listening to this recently ,really good garage/psychedelia,
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Can - lost tapes (bluddy silly packaging mind)
James Brown - live at the Garden
the Orb - adventures beyond the ultraworld...
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

angelsighs wrote: currently playing: Galaxie 500- Peel Sessions. never heard this before. sounding really great, they do a few covers and totally transform Submission
Don't let our youth go to waste is such an awesome way to end it!! Just threw on On Fire. I'll be honest, snowstorm brings me close to tears every time. This is my go to sad album (or maybe Yo La Tengo's Painful... That's going on next).

niamhm wrote:Ty Segal And White Fence -Hair ,just started listening to this recently ,really good garage/psychedelia,
Ty Segall and Tim Presley are both awesome, really nice, really funny doods. They are both from LA (or, rather, live in LA now - ty is originally from san fran), and I have spent some time with them - they are very cool. They really kickass live. If yer enjoying hair and haven't checked out white fence's debut lp/ty's melted, go listen to em immediately - both shred. family perfume 1/2 are both pretttty rad as well, have only really gotten to listen to wm in the car so far though. Picking up the vinyl soon though.

Just listened to the Nightcrawlers' Little Black Egg - wow. Absolutely blew me away.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Brian Jonestown Massacre - 'Strung Out In Heaven'

It might be their most radio friendly but I still find it has some gems and it's also perfect for the summer.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Wooden Shjips- Dos. procured from none other than this boards Shinesalight. no great variation on their sound but who cares. this album does have a sense of , perhaps 'funkiness' is not the right word, but it does have a groove to it. can imagine a room full of groovy chicks and 'cats' bobbing along to it!!

The Stone Roses- Turns Into Stone. mixed bag for me, this. I'm not so keen on their janglepop/Britpoppy side which means I don't enjoy, say, Mersey Paradise or Going Down so much. but this collection also includes some of their greatest moments- Something's Burning is sublime and so is the outro to One Love (shame about the clunky song itself). I also think Fools Gold is one of the few instances where a bands most famous song is among their very best and most innovative.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

angelsighs wrote:The Stone Roses- Turns Into Stone. mixed bag for me, this. I'm not so keen on their janglepop/Britpoppy side which means I don't enjoy, say, Mersey Paradise or Going Down so much. but this collection also includes some of their greatest moments- Something's Burning is sublime and so is the outro to One Love (shame about the clunky song itself). I also think Fools Gold is one of the few instances where a bands most famous song is among their very best and most innovative.
On my Stone Roses playlist I have I Am The Resurrection, Fools Gold, One Love and Something's Burning all together. They are of a piece and certainly among the band's best. My favorite on that CD might be the extended mix of Elephant Stone, far better than the album version!

Right now, Sonic Boom - It's Alright

Sonic had (has?) a real genius for capturing with really dreamy reverb the vibe and innocence of classic 60s pop. This is an adaptation of a Bo Diddley song, but it captures a certain wistful sweetness that is both modern and universal.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

lately...

sigur ros- 'valtari'- i like this album better than pretty much anything they've released since 2001. i'd pretty much given up on them completely after 'takk...' (which was the last album of theirs that i liked), so this was quite an unexpected surprise.
galaxie 500- 'on fire'
beach house- 'bloom' (although it's failing to have the repeat-play-friendliness of 'teen dream,' i have to say)
spiritualized- 'sweet heart sweet light'
disappears- 'lux'
lower dens- 'nootropics'
spectrum- 'highs lows and heavenly blows'/'soul kiss'
sharon van etten- 'epic'
white fence- 'family perfume' vol. 1 & 2
the walkmen- 'heaven' (it's a great companion to the wistfulness of 'lisbon'- it takes the rockier tracks from that one and improves on them- a very passionate and fiery record).
implodes- 'black earth'

just put a copy of the 'relaxing with...' LP reissue by the heads on hold at permanent records. i haven't heard them at all before, but have noticed how obsessive people are about them so i thought it'd be worth taking a chance.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

shalloboi wrote:lately...

just put a copy of the 'relaxing with...' LP reissue by the heads on hold at permanent records. i haven't heard them at all before, but have noticed how obsessive people are about them so i thought it'd be worth taking a chance.
Good decision. "Relaxing With...." is truely excellent. Maximum volume for the full effect.
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

My playlist for just over a week has be solely these three gems

Nope - Revision - totally the best thing I've heard in ages. NOPE!
Lightning Bolt - Ride The Skies - saw them featured on the ATP film and thought it'd be worth a listen. Not disappointed.
Can - The Lost Tapes - my first real experience of them and it's really good. Defiantely going to get more

The missus is getting a bit annoyed. :twisted:
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Cherrystones & Zeus - Swampbait
The Everly Brothers - Roots (Again...)
Dr John - Babylon
Charlie Feathers - Get With It
rameses wrote: Can - The Lost Tapes - my first real experience of them and it's really good. Defiantely going to get more
After the snippets I heard yesterday I had to buy it. VERY much looking forward to receiving my copy.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm thinking about buying the Can Lost Tapes 3xcd today. I've read some good comments. Anyone like to offer a more thorough review?

Someone mentioned Ty Segall & White Fence - Hair. I listened to this album a few times and I have to say that I think it's pretty awful. The lo-fi production is ultra grating (super piercing guitars, drums sound absolutely horrid) and the songs are just ok and mostly sound tossed off.

Jadams: Vanshing Point is a masterpiece. Give it time and it'll sink in. Stellar fucking record.
helterskelter
Known user

Post by helterskelter »

Dexys - One day I'm going to soar

this lp is amazing, it talks to me, makes me laugh, cry, smile, worry, empathise. Does anyone else share my love for Kevin Rowland as a story teller? So intense, raw, maybe my personality is similar, not in the skill of story telling but just in what he talks about. The live tracks shown recently on Jools Holland were fantastic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND2OwTEzm8g

The Primitives -Echoes and Rhymes

new lp from the Primitives from the late 80's
covers of girl fronted 60's songs
really love this lp - have seen them live twice recently with The School supporting.

The Time & Space machine
both lps
bottleg lps
is anyone else enjoying them? Great mix of kraut, psych, beats
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

helterskelter wrote: The Time & Space machine
both lps
bottleg lps
is anyone else enjoying them? Great mix of kraut, psych, beats
These chaps are playing down in Brighton in August.... are they worth checking out then? I know a friend of mine was raving about a mix they did for the Greenman Festival website.

As for me, currently listening to the White Hills' Heads on Fire LP....and got it loud as the Mrs has popped out for a bit. Sorry neighbours :twisted:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
helterskelter
Known user

Post by helterskelter »

yes defo - sure they will be down some people on here's streets

Its Richard Norris from the Grid and he djs/performs with Erol what's his name? lol - sorry can't remember his name
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

TheWarmth wrote:I'm thinking about buying the Can Lost Tapes 3xcd today. I've read some good comments. Anyone like to offer a more thorough review?
haven't heard it all but they played a lot of the tracks at ATP a few weeks back- absolutely stonking stuff, and as many reviews have been saying, less mere 'outtakes', than just more solid gold from the Can mothership!
been on a big Can phase these past few weeks. only Future Days is not really doing it for me.. it's a bit too floaty and ambient for me
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

The turntable, amp and speakers (and the neighbour's patience!) are certainly being put to the test with the following:-

Wooden Shjips - West
Carlton Melton/Bardo Pond - Split 12"
Hookworms - S/T EP
Cave - Neverendless

Now to give my ears a rest and sit back and (hopefully) enjoy the Greece v Germany game. :D
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

angelsighs wrote:
TheWarmth wrote:I'm thinking about buying the Can Lost Tapes 3xcd today. I've read some good comments. Anyone like to offer a more thorough review?
haven't heard it all but they played a lot of the tracks at ATP a few weeks back- absolutely stonking stuff, and as many reviews have been saying, less mere 'outtakes', than just more solid gold from the Can mothership!
been on a big Can phase these past few weeks. only Future Days is not really doing it for me.. it's a bit too floaty and ambient for me
on first listen, its become my fave Can collection, some real treasures here. have a bit of a soft spot for Soundtracks but this set might just beat it......and even Ege Bamyasi...

Future Days is great you silly sausage
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

TheWarmth wrote: The lo-fi production is ultra grating (...) and the songs are just ok and mostly sound tossed off.
I can definitely understand the first part for Hair - the second part I disagree with more. I think it's one of those albums that might have been a lot more fun to record than it is to listen to sometimes, and that's why the songs might come off as sounding tossed off - I think the only thing is that if you are able to get caught up in it though, it turns into a pretty energetic, summery romp of an album. If you don't though I guess it just stays sounding pretty gnarly and unlistenable, if all that makes sense. I still enjoy it a lot :)

I've just been cycling lots of Can albums as well the past week or two. I've said it before, but I really can't wait to get home and unwrap the new stuff. For me, it's been Monster Movie (we've had a bunch of long car rides and forcing my sister, who normally listens to showtunes and such, to listen to this and then watching her reaction to Mooney's howls has been priceless), Delay 1968, Soundtracks (I'm dying now to get my friends' jazz combo to play She Brings the Rain - the whole album is so cool though - has anybody seen Deadlock or any of the other movies? I've been casually trying to track em down for a while now but to no avail.) and Tago Mago (this just blows me away every time. What would be the first LP if I had the records is to me one of the most perfect 40 or so minutes of music. Its one of those albums where almost every time i listen to it, it feels as if i am listening to it for the first time, entering a new world or something...) have been the ones in heavy rotation recently.

Really looking forward to getting to hear the Green Pajamas' All Clues Lead To Meagan's Bed after listening to a few of the tracks from it mentioned in the dedicated thread.

Typing on phone, sorry for typos and bad grammar.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Hofstadter wrote: Really looking forward to getting to hear the Green Pajamas' All Clues Lead To Meagan's Bed after listening to a few of the tracks from it mentioned in the dedicated thread.
Did you order it?

You wont be disappointed when you get it. Also, like I said, if you dig that album there are LOADS more to investigate.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

spunder wrote:Future Days is great you silly sausage
haha you might be right, it's still early days. I only bought it the other week.

I've not seen any of the movies that Soundtracks relates to.. the CD booklet does describe them as pretty forgettable art house fodder
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

redcloud wrote:Did you order it?

You wont be disappointed when you get it. Also, like I said, if you dig that album there are LOADS more to investigate.
Hmm how do I put this... I'm a real asshole and I downloaded it illegally. I did however email a friend of mine who is in Portland on Wednesday to see if he could find anything, since you said they are based out of the Pacific Northwest. He leaves tomorrow to drive cross-country though and hasn't gotten back to me yet :( and I caved tonight and grabbed it... I try to buy music and support artists/my local record stores whenever I can (physical copies, going to lots of shows, merch, etc.), but... It's just... so hard... when there is so much stuff available right at your fingertips (and when you're 17 and don't exactly have any real income). I know, shame on me. But yeah, that's a separate conversation.

I'm sure I'll post some thoughts in the dedicated thread once I get a chance to listen tonight and tomorrow. Death by Poisoning totally floored me emotionally when I listened to it the other night though. I know I'll appreciate the guidance in experiencing their back catalog. Y'all are really good at the stuff.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Hofstadter wrote:
Hmm how do I put this... I'm a real asshole and I downloaded it illegally. I did however email a friend of mine who is in Portland on Wednesday to see if he could find anything, since you said they are based out of the Pacific Northwest.
Well, I'm in Portland and even here their albums are sometimes hard to find. But, I have found a handful of older LP's/CD's in various record bins. More often than not though it is their newer stuff that you see.

Regarding the downloading illegally, I wont go on about it (because you know the score) BUT, I will say, that the PJ's have never signed to a major label. They put their stuff out on indie labels in a relatively small number, thus why they are somewhat difficult to find. Please do what you can to support this incredible band.

And yes, 'Death By Poisoning' is a great track.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Hofstadter wrote:
Hmm how do I put this... I'm a real asshole and I downloaded it illegally. .
I think you are being unduly hard on yourself here. If you are like most of us you get a freebie and that starts the whole search. Especially with the Green Pajamas. There is an awful lot to track down.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

spzretent wrote:
Hofstadter wrote:
Hmm how do I put this... I'm a real asshole and I downloaded it illegally. .
I think you are being unduly hard on yourself here. If you are like most of us you get a freebie and that starts the whole search. Especially with the Green Pajamas. There is an awful lot to track down.
I agree - I have been unable to find a copy of Meagan's Bed too. Luckily a nice soul sent me a download ( :D ) but I will buy one if I can find a copy. Sometimes music is just impossible to get hold of as all the copies pressed have sold. Maybe they will repress as I know the GP's have done that with other albums.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Carlton Melton - Smoke Drip

3 massive droney freak outs... just what the Dr ordered after a day spent spring cleaning with the Mrs.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Shinesalight wrote: 3 massive droney freak outs... just what the Dr ordered after a day spent spring cleaning with the Mrs.
:''''-D

funniest thing i've read on the net for at least 24 hours......
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Shinesalight wrote:Carlton Melton - Smoke Drip

3 massive droney freak outs... just what the Dr ordered after a day spent spring cleaning with the Mrs.
Listening to it now while watching Spain v Portugal with the commentary muted. Much, much better than listening to Hansen, Shearer et al.
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »