What Are You Listening To Now?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

angelsighs
Known user

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

Post by angelsighs »

Talk Talk- Laughing Stock
I know a lot of people put this on the same level as Spirit of Eden (or even above it) but I think it's the lesser of the two. the songs seem a bit more droney with less different sections, and the production is not as perfectly luminous.. but still, great album. New Grass is sublime.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Kraftwerk: Autobahn

Seems appropriate and drowns out the pundits on the BBC......
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

besides the usual suspects-

vestals- 'forever falling toward the sky'
white stripes- 'under great white northern lights'
the heads- 'relaxing with...' (pretty relieved i bought this)
beachwood sparks- 'the tarnished gold'- i found it on gold vinyl and couldn't pass it up. it's a good thing because i really like it a lot better than their first record. 'leave that light on' sounds sooooo much like an acetone song.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

olan wrote:Kraftwerk: Autobahn
At a dublab event a few weeks ago I picked up a copy of the recent reissue... it's gorgeous.

For various reasons today was a pretty shitty day (with the exception of the supreme court's ruling - good stuff). Hadn't listened to Playing with Fire in a little while. Turning the volume way up and getting in bed and drowning yourself out with it is good medicine.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Guided By Voices - Class Clown Spots A UFO. Like GBV of old, insanely catchy ditty's that end too soon and leave you wanting more :!:
Got this from Fire Records in UK and have to say the service was excellent. Vinyl was £12 including shipping and when you paid you got immediate access to a download code. Disc arrived very quickly was well packaged and to top it off when I openend it was coloured vinyl :D
'Remember, change is not good'
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Hofstadter wrote:For various reasons today was a pretty shitty day (with the exception of the supreme court's ruling - good stuff).
With all due respect, not sure how it's good to entrust Americans' health care to the same jokers who make the Post Office and DMV such dreadful institutions...
I've never been able to get into that Baby Huey record. Love a lot of funk from that era, and especially Curtis Mayfield, but something about that album feels overwrought or something. I'd give it another shot but I think I got rid of it.

Right now, Temple of the Dog - Say Hello 2 Heaven

Pure grunge goodness, and probably Chris Cornell's finest moment. (The list of his bad moments is too long to get into...)
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

psyching myself up for sunday, so Fools Gold and Begging You on loop....both monstorous tunes. epic.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

first time in years on ma shitty turntablae a mooched of one of my wifes friends ,
1969 Velvet Underground Live With lou Reed , thank feck my house is detatched,the volume is loud and i`m loving the Velvets,
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Mount Rushmore- 'High On'

Found this original LP from 1969 in a used record bin today. I have their second ('69) and was intrigued enough to snap this up when I saw it. Pretty nice, heavy acid rock. Actually better than the second one, I think.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wobbly-la ... 8075002042

Wobbly Lamps - local (to me) Southend On Sea band who play a trashy lo-fi scuzzy psyche type affair - all things Nuggets/Pebbles. Just put out a new EP on Polyvinyl Craftsmen records http://polyvinylcraftsmen.blogspot.co.uk/ (that's my PR work done for the day). Seriously, they're pretty good, and that blog has very good mixes on it to download.
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

The new Beachwood Sparks, The Tarnished Gold, is really good. Maybe their best. If you liked Jonathan Wilson's latest release you'll love this.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

runaway wrote:The new Beachwood Sparks, The Tarnished Gold, is really good. Maybe their best. If you liked Jonathan Wilson's latest release you'll love this.
I did, so I'm gonna check that one out, thnx for the tip! Saw Jonathan wilson opening up for tom petty in amsterdam the other week and he and his band were f- ing brilliant! and tom petty was even better.
now spinning the acoustic black crowes anthology and it hits the spot every time. especially now, sitting on the porch, in the shade, sipping some wine 8)
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

beaker73 wrote: now spinning the acoustic black crowes anthology and it hits the spot every time. especially now, sitting on the porch, in the shade, sipping some wine 8)
Agreed.

Also worth checking out Chris Robinson Brotherhood's "Big Moon Ritual" and Rich Robinson's "Through A Crooked Sun" side project/solo albums. I love both records.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

redcloud wrote:
beaker73 wrote: now spinning the acoustic black crowes anthology and it hits the spot every time. especially now, sitting on the porch, in the shade, sipping some wine 8)
Agreed.

Also worth checking out Chris Robinson Brotherhood's "Big Moon Ritual" and Rich Robinson's "Through A Crooked Sun" side project/solo albums. I love both records.
I was inspired by my enjoyment of Primal Scream's Give In But Don't Give Out the other week to give the Black Crowes' greatest hits another spin. I liked what I heard but, as with past listenings, wasn't sucked in to the point that I felt compelled to listen any deeper. I presume this is because I'm hearing radio singles and not actual albums... anywhere you'd recommend I give them another choice?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

jadams501 wrote:I was inspired by my enjoyment of Primal Scream's Give In But Don't Give Out the other week to give the Black Crowes' greatest hits another spin. I liked what I heard but, as with past listenings, wasn't sucked in to the point that I felt compelled to listen any deeper. I presume this is because I'm hearing radio singles and not actual albums... anywhere you'd recommend I give them another choice?
'The Southern Harmony and Music Companion' and 'Amorica' are my 2 favourites by the Crowes - pretty much fautless for me. But then the last album 'Before The Frost/Until The Freeze' is also very good, as is the acoustic take on the back catalogue 'Croweology'. I own every album proper they made but I don't have their Greatest Hits, but a quick look on Amazon shows it contains many brilliant songs, so their material in general might not be your thing.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

it's over 100 degrees and pea-soup humid here. i had to work on four hours of sleep too so on the train ride home i thought it would be a good idea to listen to 'pure phase.' during the really serene section from 'all my tears' to 'these blues' i watched two crazies yelling at each other and nearly getting into a fistfight right in front of me. talk about a strange listening experience.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

runcible wrote: 'The Southern Harmony and Music Companion' and 'Amorica' are my 2 favourites by the Crowes - pretty much fautless for me.
Yep, I totally agree.

We were playing both these albums as we were driving around the big sky, wild west, long lonely roads of Hells Canyon last week. When 'Wiser Time' came on (which my wife has always loved) she said "hearing these albums and this song, in this landscape, makes total sense and I enjoy them even more." :D

She doesn't love everything I play but she does dig the Crowes and she really likes the Chris Robinson Brotherhood album.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

I believe Chris Robinson plays on Gentle Spirit (Jonathan Wilson), but I bet most of you already knew that.
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Soulsavers: the light the dead see.

Beautiful stuff. I was a bit worried about the Dave Gahan vox. Has some of the best guitars/cellos since the last Perplexa album. Feels like a proper album and not just a bunch of tunes.....
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

New Order - Lowlife and Technique

Bought these records at the weekend on E-Bay so just played them back to back. Still sounding wonderful. Listening to these when I was about 12 round a mates house kinda got me into music in the first place. Going to whack on Movement and Power, Corruption and Lies next before scouting around for a decent vinyl copy of Brotherhood. Those first 5 New Order albums are fantastic and, for what its worth, Pitchfork actually seem to agree with me for once:-

http://www.pitchfork.com/reviews/albums ... -editions/
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

The See See - Fountayne Mountain
lovely album, not as instantly catchy as their debut, but certainly a grower. They have a new 7" out, btw, on Rank Records. Get it while you can :wink:
And great to see such love for the black crowes on these pages :) Haven't heard Rich's solo album yet, but I'm gonna. Digging the Chris Robinson Brotherhood album!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Green Pajamas - 'Death By Misadventure'

The new album based loosely on a story. Very eclectic with a carnival/Eastern European flavor to some of the songs and its overall concept. With every listen something new reveals itself that I like more and more. A grower.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

ZZ Top - Eliminator. First album i ever bought, hadn't listened to it in years but some of it stills stands up today. Some of it not so much though either.
ZZ Top - Tres Hombre. Didn't really dig this one. Recorded in 1973 there's something in the production that makes it sound more 80s, can't put my finger on it though.
Soulsavers - Broken. Decided to give this another go. Still not doing it for me, too clean and not "broken" enough.
Roots Manuva - Slime and Reason. Has its moments alright but doesn't work for me all the way through, unlike:
Roots Manuva - Dub Come Save Me. Dub reworkings of his Run Come Save Me album. Very nice indeed.
Blasted Canyons - S/T. Good album this, like Thee Oh Sees annoying kid brother. Terrible production though, but..
Blasted Canyons - 2nd Place. Very good production on this but, unfortunately, the clearer sound seems to reveal more indie leanings than had previously been apparent. Listenable but something not quite right.
Heavy Blanket - S/T. Instrumental jams from J.Mascis and some mates. Pretty good, I found the slower material most satisfying. Like anything Mascis does, imo, it gets a bit wanky in places but it's only about 40 minutes long so it doesn't outstay it's welcome.
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Orange. Disc 1 of the reissue from a couple of years ago. Hits the spot!
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

sunray wrote: ZZ Top - Tres Hombre. Didn't really dig this one. Recorded in 1973 there's something in the production that makes it sound more 80s, can't put my finger on it though.
Interesting point. Is your 'Tres Hombres' a reissue LP/CD? Why do I ask? Because the original LP sounds great. Raw, dirty blues rock that is as thick as the Rio Grande itself. Original issues of the first two albums are also superb and the first, in particular, being arguably their finest moment. For me anyway.

Sadly, once the 'Eliminator' album went gold/platinium etc. they decided to reissue their back catalog for a new 80's generation and remastered them with an 80's style reverb on the drums and layered some new vocals on. Fucking horrible.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

redcloud wrote:Sadly, once the 'Eliminator' album went gold/platinium etc. they decided to reissue their back catalog for a new 80's generation and remastered them with an 80's style reverb on the drums and layered some new vocals on. Fucking horrible.
I generally hate when things are added on to reissues or posthumous demos. Very, very occasionally -- as when George Harrison slightly embellished a few of the All Things Must Pass demos for the remastered release, or some overdubs that were added to a few songs on Jeff Buckley's really early stuff, or even some of the Michael Jackson stuff that's come out since his untimely death, it can be done tastefully and meaningfully.

But most of the time it's a cash-in or otherwise in poor taste. Some of the Hendrix stuff, far too much rap, etc. Pearl Jam reissued Ten with a "remix" that drained the songs of everything that made them perfectly of the time, though at least they retained the original with it.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

jadams501 wrote:
I generally hate when things are added on to reissues or posthumous demos.
Yea, it's odd too because it completely contradicts the "honest musicians and a recording free of over dubs and mulit-tracking" proudly stated on the back cover of the first ZZ album.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Spirit - Now Or Anywhere

I found this Sundazed album today in a used record store. It contains material recorded during the 1st & 2nd LP sessions ('67/68). Bob Irwin clearly LOVES Spirit as he has released a number of such albums. That's ok with me because I too love Spirit. 8)
spaceben
Known user

Post by spaceben »

Acid Baby Jesus - Self titled Tape.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

jadams501 wrote:
redcloud wrote:Sadly, once the 'Eliminator' album went gold/platinium etc. they decided to reissue their back catalog for a new 80's generation and remastered them with an 80's style reverb on the drums and layered some new vocals on. Fucking horrible.
I generally dislike when production is added on to reissues or posthumous material. Very, very occasionally -- as when George Harrison slightly embellished a few of the All Things Must Pass demos for the remastered release, or some overdubs that were added to a few songs on Jeff Buckley's really early stuff, or even some of the Michael Jackson stuff that's come out since his untimely death, it can be done tastefully and meaningfully.

But most of the time it's a cash-in or otherwise in poor taste. Some of the Hendrix stuff, far too much rap, etc. Pearl Jam reissued Ten with a "remix" that drained the songs of everything that made them perfectly of the time, though at least they retained the original with it.
It's a while since I listened to it, but Paul McCartney's new mix of 'Let it Be' stripped back most of Phil Spector's production, to produce a fresh-sounding alternative mix of that album.

I'm a big Beatles fan and had previously loved the 'wall of sound' treatment he gave when producing that album, yet the more recent mix definitely added a different vibe which seemed to let the original individual vox and instruments much more space to shine through in the final mastered mix.

However this is the exception rather than the rule...in my experience...but it felt very worthy of note.

In addition Stuart Murdoch has referred several times to the (annoyingly) iTunes-only live 'don't look back' version of 'If You're Feeling Sinister' as superior to the original album release. However I feel they simply complement one another, and I don't share the misgivings of B&S's mainman, about the original studio version.

I think the band missed a real opportunity when including the sloppy bonus live Belfast gig as a companion piece with their Peel/BBC session release. There are far superior similar-period live recordings, including the fantastic 2002-ish German/European FM radio recording whose broadcast often comes up on torrent sites, and it sounds far superior when listened to at a decent quality bitrate...in addition it doesn't include any embarrassing Thin Lizzy covers, and is a much better broadcast recording, that in a rare moment surpasses the BBC!
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

redcloud wrote:
sunray wrote: ZZ Top - Tres Hombre. Didn't really dig this one. Recorded in 1973 there's something in the production that makes it sound more 80s, can't put my finger on it though.
Interesting point. Is your 'Tres Hombres' a reissue LP/CD? Why do I ask? Because the original LP sounds great. Raw, dirty blues rock that is as thick as the Rio Grande itself. Original issues of the first two albums are also superb and the first, in particular, being arguably their finest moment. For me anyway.

Sadly, once the 'Eliminator' album went gold/platinium etc. they decided to reissue their back catalog for a new 80's generation and remastered them with an 80's style reverb on the drums and layered some new vocals on. Fucking horrible.
Cheers Redcloud, that explains it then. It is indeed a reissue CD that I have. I would have to agree that recordings shouldn't be fucked around with like that, just doesn't seem right.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

mojo filters wrote: It's a while since I listened to it, but Paul McCartney's new mix of 'Let it Be' stripped back most of Phil Spector's production, to produce a fresh-sounding alternative mix of that album.

I'm a big Beatles fan and had previously loved the 'wall of sound' treatment he gave when producing that album, yet the more recent mix definitely added a different vibe which seemed to let the original individual vox and instruments much more space to shine through in the final mastered mix.

However this is the exception rather than the rule...in my experience...but it felt very worthy of note.
I agree that Let It Be Naked was pretty well done, even if most fans would probably have preferred a more faithful representation of the original Get Back idea. I love the version of Don't Let Me Down on there, which is apparently pieced together from several takes but to me far outshines the original release.
spaceman85
Known user

Post by spaceman85 »

God Lives Underwater-Life in the So Called Space Age
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Magic Dragon - Emotional Landscape (1981)

Recently acquired this - just 5 tracks, running around 30 minutes, but I'm absolutely loving it. How to categorize it... maybe experimental/avant garde pop? There's also a little bit of a folk vibe in the vocals on a few tracks that comes through a lot more from the duo's later band, Courage of Lassie (check out City of Tears or Sing or Die if you can). What really gets me about this album are the lyrics - just beautiful. If you like John Maus, (side note - do yall like John Maus? I'm going to go listen to We Must Become the Pitiless Censors of Ourselves in a minute now), I bet you will like this. This is a bit mellower/emotional. Just realized a better comparison would be lots of Ariel Pink's stuff.

Psychic TV - Godstar: Thee Director's Cut (I love the Beach Boys cover so much)
Cleaners from Venus - Vol 1. (Midnight Cleaners, Blow Away Your Troubles, On Any Normal Monday). A friend of mine introduced me to them when he played me Helpless and Only A Shadow the other day and I was instantly hooked. He lent me some CDs that I'm really getting into.

So yeah I'm on a little bit of a weird pop kick right now.
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Ladies and Gentlemen reissue. Been playing the Cop Shoot Cop side (D) the most. A and B otherwise. Does anyone know if this was mastered down to vinyl from the original tapes?
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Super Furry Animals - Phantom Power double vinyl

Picked this up on E-bay over the weekend and, listening to it now, it makes me really miss SFA. As much as I like Gruff's solo material and shows (seeing him on home soil at Festival Number 6 in September) and am looking forward to Cian's solo debut album, I really miss SFA as a whole unit. Would be great to see them live again as they really put on a corker of a show.

Looking to get hold of the rest of their albums on vinyl but, like most things on record that I'm after at the moment, they don't come cheap.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

today-

beachwood sparks- 'the tarnished gold'
bardo pond- s/t

finally got around to listening to the extras that came with the download of 'relaxing with the heads'- 'spliff riff' just melted my brain. wow- fantastic. i also had a disheartening look at all of the other stuff that they've released and now all i can think is 'how the fuck am i ever going to get ahold of all of this stuff?!'
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

shalloboi wrote:finally got around to listening to the extras that came with the download of 'relaxing with the heads'- 'spliff riff' just melted my brain. wow- fantastic. i also had a disheartening look at all of the other stuff that they've released and now all i can think is 'how the fuck am i ever going to get ahold of all of this stuff?!'
The album that is really hard to find is Everybody Knows We Got Nowhere - a shame as I think it's their greatest work - but it's due a reissue later in the year. You might also struggle to find 'At Last' which, for me, is essential as it's the live set they played at the time, so you went to the gig and bought a CD of the set you've just seen. Great idea and an incredible album. The rest of their main catalogue - i.e. the non-Rooster stuff - shouldn't be too hard to track down. It's the endless self-released CDs that are tricky to find.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Shinesalight wrote:Super Furry Animals - Phantom Power double vinyl
Looking to get hold of the rest of their albums on vinyl but, like most things on record that I'm after at the moment, they don't come cheap.
I've only got a couple of their albums on vinyl, but try and pick up Rings Around The World if you can find it. There's a hidden 7" in the sleeve which has a single locked groove.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Elliott - from a basement on a hill

I better stop now before I start crying..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

I've been interning at dublab (awesome internet radio station/music collective here in LA) and Brent Rademaker from Beachwood Sparks (the bassist) was in today. Really nice guy. I'm listing to Tarnished Gold now.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - BRMC on vinyl

Been after their debut on vinyl ever since I got my turntable last year and one finally came up on E-bay last week that wasn't at a ridiculously high "Buy-It-Now" price. Still had to bid high to get it but its mine none-the less. Been an expensive week on E-bay for me with this along with Mogwai's Young Team and Mr Beast and SFA's Phantom Power. Over £100 on 4 records that I already own on CD.... Mrs Shines is going to kill me (especially with a baby on the way). It doesn't help that she "works" from home and keeps having to take delivery of these records! :oops:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Shinesalight wrote:Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - BRMC on vinyl

Been after their debut on vinyl ever since I got my turntable last year and one finally came up on E-bay last week that wasn't at a ridiculously high "Buy-It-Now" price. Still had to bid high to get it but its mine none-the less. Been an expensive week on E-bay for me with this along with Mogwai's Young Team and Mr Beast and SFA's Phantom Power. Over £100 on 4 records that I already own on CD.... Mrs Shines is going to kill me (especially with a baby on the way). It doesn't help that she "works" from home and keeps having to take delivery of these records! :oops:
Thank God for that, it is not just me with the eBay thing then.This week I have basically bought all the Soulsavers back catalogue on vinyl at £ouch, a bunch a of Mark Lanegan things at £yikes and then some odds and sods by The Heads at £FUCKME! of which one in particular was priced at £DONTTELLMRSOLAN....

On topic: Been reorganising/retagging my FLAC files. Found a Pale Saints gig from Brussesls in 1992, recorded from the soundboard, Been blasting that out. Next up is Mogwai from Denver in 2006....Just getting on to sorting out the Durutti Column files, this could be a long night.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Shinesalight wrote:Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - BRMC on vinyl

being nosey here Shinesalight, how much for the BRMC vinyl, if you don`t mind spilling the juice?

Ty Segal Band-Slaughterhouse ,some killer garage rock ,great stuff,
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

niamhm wrote:being nosey here Shinesalight, how much for the BRMC vinyl, if you don`t mind spilling the juice?
Here you go my friend:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150849494790? ... 500wt_1204
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Shinesalight wrote:
niamhm wrote:being nosey here Shinesalight, how much for the BRMC vinyl, if you don`t mind spilling the juice?
Here you go my friend:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150849494790? ... 500wt_1204
long time fan Shinesalight ,that seems very much a bargain,in better economical circumstances gonna look for one myself,
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Hofstadter wrote:I've been interning at dublab (awesome internet radio station/music collective here in LA) and Brent Rademaker from Beachwood Sparks (the bassist) was in today. Really nice guy. I'm listing to Tarnished Gold now.
The Tarnished Gold is really quite good. Surprising because I never thought I'd see or hear the likes of Beachwood Sparks again. I really enjoyed The Tyde, too. Almost criminal that these guys never got the attention they deserved.
Alex English
Known user

Post by Alex English »

runaway wrote:The Tarnished Gold is really quite good. Surprising because I never thought I'd see or hear the likes of Beachwood Sparks again. I really enjoyed The Tyde, too. Almost criminal that these guys never got the attention they deserved.
One of my favorite Beachwood related albums is Nobody & Mystic Chords Of Memory's Tree Colored See. It is such the laid back summer album. I will be listening to it on my drive up the mountains later today. :D
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Alex English wrote:
runaway wrote:The Tarnished Gold is really quite good. Surprising because I never thought I'd see or hear the likes of Beachwood Sparks again. I really enjoyed The Tyde, too. Almost criminal that these guys never got the attention they deserved.
One of my favorite Beachwood related albums is Nobody & Mystic Chords Of Memory's Tree Colored See. It is such the laid back summer album. I will be listening to it on my drive up the mountains later today. :D
Yeah to be honest I really didn't know much at all by 'em (just a few songs that occasionally cropped up on some friends' driving mixes), but then in one week they start turning up all over the place (first on the board a few days ago and then yesterday) so I'm trying to listen to each album this weekend. I'll be sure to listen to Tree Colored See as well.

niamhm wrote:Ty Segal Band-Slaughterhouse ,some killer garage rock ,great stuff,
Yeah I've been enjoying it a lot as well the past week or two - it's got a bit more of a darker sound than most of Ty's other stuff doesn't it? Great for cranking the volume up when the parents are out, just alone rock out time. I think it was TheWarmth who was saying they didn't really like the way Hair came out (a little too lo-fi/off the cuff if I remember his criticism correctly) - give this a listen, I'd be interested to hear whatcha think!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yeah, I didn't like Hair at all. I read a review of this new one on Dusted and it made it sound like more of the same, but maybe that's not the case.

http://www.dustedmagazine.com/reviews/7252
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

TheWarmth wrote:Yeah, I didn't like Hair at all. I read a review of this new one on Dusted and it made it sound like more of the same, but maybe that's not the case.

http://www.dustedmagazine.com/reviews/7252
wouldn`t say it was the same,darker/heavier ,quiet manic really but still garage with a dash of psychedelia thrown in,having said that I`m still liking Hair ,a lot ,my got to sounds this summer Ty Segal,
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Interkosmos — Интеркосмос

Heavy / Space / Guitar / Psych

B,

M
Design.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

apart from beachwood sparks new one that i bought last friday, right now cashier no 9 is spinning on the turntable, lovely album that.
helterskelter
Known user

Post by helterskelter »

The Primitives - Echoes and Rhymes
Dexys - One day I'm Going to Soar
The Time and Space machine - psych mix - one of ten copies I won
Elvis - live in Las Vegas 1969
The Time and Space machine - Volume 2
Go Kart Mozart - Go kart Mozart are on the hot dog streets
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Echo Lake — Wild Peace

Shoegazy female vocals.

M
Design.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Pretty sad about the guy from Echo Lake. Messed up stuff. Right as the album was released, so sad. I've been enjoying it a lot, but everytime I listen to it, I can't listen to it without thinking of Pete Hayes. It's interesting how something like that can totally change your perception of an album. If you are enjoying it though, check out I Break Horses' Hearts from last year (I Break Horses is the band, Hearts was the name of the album) if you didn't hear it then. They could be companion pieces, with Hearts being a little bit more upbeat and with a more fully realized sound in my opinion.

This reminds me, since they came out the same week I think, I didn't post about this before I think I meant to:

DIIV-- Oshin

Ehhhh. Fun to listen to, has some cool pieces, and I enjoyed it quite a bit, but ultimately I just feel like "who cares?" when I listen to this album. I don't want to call it generic, because I don't think it is, but I get that same sort of bland vibe from it. Not to dismiss something in two sentences or anything but... whatever. I can see myself throwing it on a few times a year when I forget what it sounds like but besides that, not much. I feel like you "get the picture" after a few listens. Did anybody else listen to it?
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Hofstadter wrote:Pretty sad about the guy from Echo Lake. Messed up stuff. Right as the album was released, so sad. I've been enjoying it a lot, but everytime I listen to it, I can't listen to it without thinking of Pete Hayes. It's interesting how something like that can totally change your perception of an album. If you are enjoying it though, check out I Break Horses' Hearts from last year (I Break Horses is the band, Hearts was the name of the album) if you didn't hear it then. They could be companion pieces, with Hearts being a little bit more upbeat and with a more fully realized sound in my opinion.

This reminds me, since they came out the same week I think, I didn't post about this before I think I meant to:

DIIV-- Oshin

Ehhhh. Fun to listen to, has some cool pieces, and I enjoyed it quite a bit, but ultimately I just feel like "who cares?" when I listen to this album. I don't want to call it generic, because I don't think it is, but I get that same sort of bland vibe from it. Not to dismiss something in two sentences or anything but... whatever. I can see myself throwing it on a few times a year when I forget what it sounds like but besides that, not much. I feel like you "get the picture" after a few listens. Did anybody else listen to it?

It is sad. I hope the keep on going. I like the album quite a bit.

I'll check that out. Thanks!

B,

M
Design.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

My reaction to DIIV was the same: who cares? I didn't think they were very interesting. I'd rather listen to Ride.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Currently obsessed with these tracks

Garnet Mimms - My Baby
Alice Cooper - Im Eighteen
13 Floor Elevators - Reverberation/Earthquake (which reminds me of driving through texas in clouds of dust storms. Putting this on the stereo LOUD and putting my foot down)
Noviciat De Soeurs Missionaires De Notre-Dame D’ Afrique & Four Religious Drummers – Yesu Ka Mkwebase
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Cool, I actually have a full Garnet Mimms LP. Maybe I should transfer it.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

TheWarmth wrote:Cool, I actually have a full Garnet Mimms LP. Maybe I should transfer it.
THAT would be amazing! Cheers Warmth!
I love the use of timing in 'My Baby'. It sounds like its going out of time but then it kind of tricks you. Great track!
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

spzretent wrote:Peaking Lights- Lucifer
Ahh I can't wait to hear this! I've been listening to 936 quite a bit these past few weeks, hadn't listened to it since when i first heard it and it's great. Haven't taken the time to grab a copy of Lucifer yet, looking forward to it though. What do you think about?
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Hofstadter wrote:
spzretent wrote:Peaking Lights- Lucifer
Ahh I can't wait to hear this! I've been listening to 936 quite a bit these past few weeks, hadn't listened to it since when i first heard it and it's great. Haven't taken the time to grab a copy of Lucifer yet, looking forward to it though. What do you think about?
its ace...a bit slicker but very good. theres one track that has a lovely Sonic style bluesy guitar on it...

i'm ploughing my way through this Vanguard boxset....its bloody awesome!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Make-Your-Sound ... 237&sr=1-1
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Orb ‎– Auntie Aubrey's Excursions Beyond The Call Of Duty

Classic.

B,

M
Design.