What Are You Listening To Now?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Hofstadter
Known user

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

Post by Hofstadter »

Spacemen 3/Sun Araw - That's Just Fine / I'm Gonna Cross That River of Jordan --- soso awesome.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Mother Earth - 'Living With The Animals'
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Neil Young - Tonight's The Night

Been after this on vinyl for ages and managed to find a copy in great condition on E-Bay last week. Can't believe the condition of this record made in 1975...nearly 40 years old. I love it when you get 2nd hand records of this quality. Albuquerque is playing as I type this and it sounds so warm and wonderful. I love this record, I love Neil Young and I love collecting vinyl. The fact I'm listening while drinking a gorgeous, large glass of red while Mrs Shines is making a homemade veggie lasagne is making me a very happy man indeed :D (I hope this doesn't come across as smug :oops: )
Last edited by Shinesalight on Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Matt it sounds like you struck the mother lode!!! I think I've now got most of the Neil Young albums that I want on vinyl now. Still looking for a decent copy of Harvest Moon and maybe his debut. I think I've got over 30 Neil Young CD's but going to try my best not to be that obsessive on the vinyl front. Talking of NY, did anyone see this from Rolling Stone magazine?:-

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictu ... e-20120808

Not sure on the order but, if they're not including any of his live albums, then I guess this is a pretty accurate top ten.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
HorizonRadar
Known user

Post by HorizonRadar »

arleneangle
'England and a broken radio'

Aw that's good. Thanks.
HorizonRadar
Known user

Post by HorizonRadar »

Jessica Lea Mayfield - Kiss Me Again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu9gbEf3aPQ

Beautiful sound. Beautiful girl.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Shinesalight wrote:Neil Young - Tonight's The Night

Been after this on vinyl for ages and managed to find a copy in great condition on E-Bay last week. Can't believe the condition of this record made in 1975...nearly 40 years old. I love it when you get 2nd hand records of this quality. Albuquerque is playing as I type this and it sounds so warm and wonderful. I love this record, I love Neil Young and I love collecting vinyl. The fact I'm listening while drinking a gorgeous, large glass of red while Mrs Shines is making a homemade veggie lasagne is making me a very happy man indeed :D (I hope this doesn't come across as smug :oops: )
Wow that’s a coincidence. I bought a beautiful copy of this on E-Bay last Wednesday the 15th, I wonder if were we bidding against each other?!

Received it last Monday and as the missus and the kids were away that night I was able to play it really loud with a few beers etc etc. Wonderful copy for a 37 year old record, no pops, crackles, jumps or splits to the seams etc. It came with the inner sleeve and the booklet too! All for just over £16.

I also played Mirrorball that night for the first time in years, I think there are some great songs on this record but Pearl Jam whom play on it are awful. For some reason this LP goes for a lot of money on E-Bay, last week a copy went for over £60! I noticed I’ve mislaid the inner lyric slip for this, I hope I can find it in my collection, can’t recall seeing it in a long, long time.

For some reason I counted my NY vinyl records last week, I have 16 on vinyl (and about 20 on CD) and the remaining ones I’d like to get are;
Neil Young s/t, Silver & Gold, Chrome Dreams II & Broken Arrow. I was never much into Harvest Moon.

The NY holy grails for me are Dead Man, Greendale & Unplugged. A few hundred euros worth of vinyl there!!
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

XTC - Fossil Fuel - Singles collection, picked this up on a whim and am really enjoying it :D
'Remember, change is not good'
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Advance Base - A Shut-In's Prayer
Acetone - Cindy
Sun Kil Moon - Among the Leaves
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

MattBenn wrote:
Shinesalight wrote:Matt it sounds like you struck the mother lode!!! I think I've now got most of the Neil Young albums that I want on vinyl now. Still looking for a decent copy of Harvest Moon and maybe his debut. I think I've got over 30 Neil Young CD's but going to try my best not to be that obsessive on the vinyl front. Talking of NY, did anyone see this from Rolling Stone magazine?:-

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictu ... e-20120808

Not sure on the order but, if they're not including any of his live albums, then I guess this is a pretty accurate top ten.
Think my top 5 would be:

1. On the Beach
2. Tonight's the Night
3. After the Goldrush
4. Zuma
5. Everybody Knows This is Nowhere

(I usually turn to NY when I wanted something incredibly depressing to mull over)
So badass:

"Nobody expected Time Fades Away and I'm not sorry I put it out," Young told Rolling Stone's Cameron Crowe in 1975. "I didn't need the money, I didn't need the fame. You gotta keep changing. Shirts, old ladies, whatever. I'd rather keep changing and lose a lot of people along the way. If that's the price, I'll pay it. I don't give a shit if my audience is 100 or 100 million. It doesn't make any difference to me. I'm convinced that what sells and what I do are two completely different things. If they meet, it's coincidence."
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Picked up the new Six Organs of Admittance and Beak>> LPs yesterday. My initial impressions of the SIx Organs album is that it is a total belter. Had an empty house this afternoon so was able to give it a fairly loud runout. Outstanding LP, probably going to be one of my favourites of the year.

Enjoyed the Beak>> LP too. One tune on the > side (Yatton I think) sounds like a New Order tune circa 1981/1982. Another on the >>> side sounds like PiL or Section 25.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

wild nothing- 'nocturne'
the cure- 'paris'
beach house- 'devotion'
this massive collection of elliott smith live recordings that i put together a few years ago.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Paul Kantner & Grace Slick - 'Sunfighter'

My favorite post-Airplane album.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Pontiacs-Bursting ,enjoying this a lot,
HorizonRadar
Known user

Post by HorizonRadar »

Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Chris Robinson Bortherhood - Star or Stone (off of Big Moon Ritual)

I fucking love this song and have played it 5 or 6 times over the last couple of days. Such great musicianship. It's such a great album....one that I would have never taken notice of if it wasn't for this forum.

Talking of CRB, I noticed that there is already another album due out next month:-

http://www.resident-music.com/productde ... t_id=21988

Happy days :D 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Broc wrote: Received it last Monday and as the missus and the kids were away that night I was able to play it really loud with a few beers etc etc. Wonderful copy for a 37 year old record, no pops, crackles, jumps or splits to the seams etc. It came with the inner sleeve and the booklet too! All for just over £16.

I also played Mirrorball that night for the first time in years, I think there are some great songs on this record but Pearl Jam whom play on it are awful. For some reason this LP goes for a lot of money on E-Bay, last week a copy went for over £60! I noticed I’ve mislaid the inner lyric slip for this, I hope I can find it in my collection, can’t recall seeing it in a long, long time.

For some reason I counted my NY vinyl records last week, I have 16 on vinyl (and about 20 on CD) and the remaining ones I’d like to get are;
Neil Young s/t, Silver & Gold, Chrome Dreams II & Broken Arrow. I was never much into Harvest Moon.

The NY holy grails for me are Dead Man, Greendale & Unplugged. A few hundred euros worth of vinyl there!!
Gotta love Tonight's The Night. I have a 90s(?) repress of it, but not an original copy - the sleeve was meant to be super saturated with heavy ink for a really dense effect? Mirrorball... I dunno about Pearl Jam being awful. As far as I know these songs were pretty much done on the spot with little or no planning or practise. I think Mirrorball is still my favourite NY album of them all. For me it beats stuff like Everybody Knows... and Harvest and even - maybe - Tonight's The Night. What can I say, it's where you came in that makes the difference sometimes. There's something about that widescreen panorama of distorted guitars, NY's voice has a real haunting quality, and stuff like 'I'm The Ocean' and 'Act Of Love' are totally uplifting and are up there, for me, with his very best.

Would it have been difference with Crazy Horse? Or course. Better? Who knows. Neil Young still does what he sees fit... we just live in his world.

Current Listening - Silence. Having recently moved, most of my music stuff is still in storage. Mirrorball in my head, maybe. :wink:
O P 8
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Shinesalight wrote:Chris Robinson Bortherhood - Star or Stone (off of Big Moon Ritual)

It's such a great album....

Talking of CRB, I noticed that there is already another album due out next month:-
Agreed. Superb album. Can't remember if I mentioned this here or not but I entered a contest back in May/June and won an official test pressing (vinyl) of 'Big Moon Ritual'!

I didn't know he was releasing another so quickly but not surprised because when I saw CRB back in December the gig was 3 hours long. A few covers (inc. some Dead) but several tunes clearly in the pan that didn't make the first LP. Looking forward to it!

Also looking forward to seeing them again on Nov 25. 8)
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Broc wrote:I also played Mirrorball that night for the first time in years, I think there are some great songs on this record but Pearl Jam whom play on it are awful. For some reason this LP goes for a lot of money on E-Bay, last week a copy went for over £60!
BzaInSpace wrote:Mirrorball... I dunno about Pearl Jam being awful. As far as I know these songs were pretty much done on the spot with little or no planning or practise. I think Mirrorball is still my favourite NY album of them all. For me it beats stuff like Everybody Knows... and Harvest and even - maybe - Tonight's The Night. What can I say, it's where you came in that makes the difference sometimes. There's something about that widescreen panorama of distorted guitars, NY's voice has a real haunting quality, and stuff like 'I'm The Ocean' and 'Act Of Love' are totally uplifting and are up there, for me, with his very best.
Glad to see someone sticking up for Mirrorball, which I think is inconsistent but great when it clicks. I was a hardcore fan of Pearl Jam in high school, but gradually lost interest as I noticed that they don't play very well (mistaking laziness for authenticity) and Eddie Vedder began to grate on me a bit. The best of Mirrorball transcend's the band's faults and feels huge -- "widescreen" is a good word for it -- and for me seems to fulfill the core sound of grunge. A few tracks are indistinguishable from one another, but Peace and Love is one of my favorite songs from that era. I should also note that the companion "Merkinball" EP has two of Pearl Jam's best songs, recorded with NY.

I'd imagine the reason why the Mirrorball LP gets so expensive is that Pearl Jam, however little attention they get from radio or the press these days, still has a massive fanbase that sell out their stadium gigs. The band has always been big on celebrating vinyl -- going back to Spin The Black Circle from Vitalogy -- so probably as many or more Pearl Jam fans are looking for it as Neil Young fans.

Right now, Lou Reed - Street Hassle
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

The Aliens - Astronomy For Dogs and Luna.

Even after countless plays over the years these two albums continue to get better with each listen. Many years from now both of these will be looked back upon as lost classics.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

jadams501 wrote:
Broc wrote:I also played Mirrorball that night for the first time in years, I think there are some great songs on this record but Pearl Jam whom play on it are awful. For some reason this LP goes for a lot of money on E-Bay, last week a copy went for over £60!
BzaInSpace wrote:Mirrorball... I dunno about Pearl Jam being awful. As far as I know these songs were pretty much done on the spot with little or no planning or practise. I think Mirrorball is still my favourite NY album of them all. For me it beats stuff like Everybody Knows... and Harvest and even - maybe - Tonight's The Night. What can I say, it's where you came in that makes the difference sometimes. There's something about that widescreen panorama of distorted guitars, NY's voice has a real haunting quality, and stuff like 'I'm The Ocean' and 'Act Of Love' are totally uplifting and are up there, for me, with his very best.
Glad to see someone sticking up for Mirrorball, which I think is inconsistent but great when it clicks. I was a hardcore fan of Pearl Jam in high school, but gradually lost interest as I noticed that they don't play very well (mistaking laziness for authenticity) and Eddie Vedder began to grate on me a bit. The best of Mirrorball transcend's the band's faults and feels huge -- "widescreen" is a good word for it -- and for me seems to fulfill the core sound of grunge. A few tracks are indistinguishable from one another, but Peace and Love is one of my favorite songs from that era. I should also note that the companion "Merkinball" EP has two of Pearl Jam's best songs, recorded with NY.

I'd imagine the reason why the Mirrorball LP gets so expensive is that Pearl Jam, however little attention they get from radio or the press these days, still has a massive fanbase that sell out their stadium gigs. The band has always been big on celebrating vinyl -- going back to Spin The Black Circle from Vitalogy -- so probably as many or more Pearl Jam fans are looking for it as Neil Young fans.

Right now, Lou Reed - Street Hassle
I thought I was kinda sticking up for Mirrorball :) !

I always disliked Pearl Jam so I’m probably a little biased here. Like I said I think there are some great tracks on this LP (Act Of Love/I’m The Ocean/Big Green Country/Truth Be Known and I like the pump-organ ditties too) with some really strong lyrics from NY but to my untrained, non-musician ears PJ sound like they’re just thrashing through it with no subtlety and they sound a bit monotonous after a while.

I also think the drumming is poor on this, there’s a few of the rockier tracks where you could substitute the drumming from one to the other and you wouldn’t notice a difference. I knew that it was recorded in under a week but I think PJ bring no imagination or passion to this record. Never heard about that PJ Merkinball EP and am glad it was left off the LP. Apologies to all PJ fans here but I always thought Eddie Vedder took himself way too seriously and I never liked his voice.

I still have the unused ticket from their Dublin show in 1995 supporting this LP, a good friend of mine died tragically three days before the gig and I couldn’t bring myself to attend.

BZA, you think this might be NY’s best LP :shock: ? I love this place for such diverse opinions!!

Thanks for the info re the price of this LP Jadams, I always thought it was due to it being a limited vinyl run in 1995.

I’m a big VU & Lou Reed fan but don’t know much after Berlin, I’ve had my eye on Street Hassle for a while, is it a consistent album or would I be better off buying the 12”?
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

sunray wrote:The Aliens - Astronomy For Dogs and Luna.

Even after countless plays over the years these two albums continue to get better with each listen. Many years from now both of these will be looked back upon as lost classics.
Can't argue with a word of that. I got a copy of Luna on vinyl from Spzretent a while back. Aside from some phenomenal music, Luna also delivers amazingly beautiful cover art.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

olan wrote:
Can't argue with a word of that. I got a copy of Luna on vinyl from Spzretent a while back. Aside from some phenomenal music, Luna also delivers amazingly beautiful cover art.
And a different mix to the CD.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I don't suppose you've got any more of these vinyl copies of Luna lying around looking for a good home have you Spzretent? :wink:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Goat - World Music (posted some brief thoughts in other thread)
Pontiacs - Bursting - Damn!

Aguaturbia - Psychedelic Drugstore - I instantly had to go listen to this after listening to those two previous albums - I think it was the only US release of Aguaturbia's material - I believe it's a comp of their two albums, but for me it is just Aguaturbia's only album... I don't really have much information on them except for the fact that they were a Chilean psych band from the late 60s-very early 70s, female singer, they were all very hippie dippie ish from looking at photos of them... I have a feeling this would be pretty hard to find, and I bet a lot of you guys would dig it, so if you are interested just shoot me a pm!
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Forgot to add - Psychedelic Drugstore is totally awesome. It kicks off with a ripping cover of Somebody to Love, and is pretty consistently great fun through the end of the album.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

spzretent wrote:And a different mix to the CD.
in what way is it different? love that album but only have it on CD.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Perhaps someone else can explain as I cant nail exactly what the difference is. Since owning the LP I rarely play the CD. Its just a different mix noticeable in a few tracks.
Can anyone expand on this?
I know only 500 were pressed by the band and they are all gone. I got them from John MacLean a while ago.
I just emailed him to see if I am nuts or not.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Hofstadter wrote:
Aguaturbia - Psychedelic Drugstore -!
This is a really great album! It's been reissued and is relatively easy to track down.

Chile has a really good scene. Another awesome Chilean psych band to check out (contemporary) along with The Pontiacs is The Psychedelic Schafferson Jetplane. Not as garage nor as fuzzy as The Pontiacs but it is a seriously groovy album full of liquidy, lava lamp, mini skirted/high booted go-go dancing sounds straight from the psych dungeons of Santiago! Well worth tracking this one down!

More late 60's/early 70's South American psych worth investigating...Ladies WC and Impala Syndrome from Venezuela are great records. Also, The Kaleidoscope (not to be confused or mistaken with the LA or the British bands with same name) from Mexico is brilliant!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

spzretent wrote:Perhaps someone else can explain as I cant nail exactly what the difference is. Since owning the LP I rarely play the CD. Its just a different mix noticeable in a few tracks.
Can anyone expand on this?
I know only 500 were pressed by the band and they are all gone. I got them from John MacLean a while ago.
I just emailed him to see if I am nuts or not.
Having only got the CD I'm afraid I can't comment on the different mix. All I know is that Luna is a cracking album. Gutted that I never saw The Aliens live. Here's a great example of their genius though:-

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aPf1f2CaaIs
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Hash Jar Tempo - Well Oiled

Been a while since i listened to this but bloody hell this is good!!!!! Big massive slab of stoned out fuzz played in an almost Dreamweapon-esque style. Superb!

Chris Robinson Brotherhood - Live, 28-Apr-2011, San Diego CA

Fabulous rock'n'roll. Not sure if its just coincidence, but after listening to some live Grateful Dead recently, i can hear similar things amongst these CRB songs, especially in some of the longer songs and jams. Some fantastic musicianship on this too.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

moop wrote:
I only have the cd too. Never knew the vinyl was a different mix. Very interesting.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

sunray wrote:
moop wrote:
I only have the cd too. Never knew the vinyl was a different mix. Very interesting.
Now I'll have to dig out the CD and listen to it carefully. I don't recall it being different, just that the vinyl is beautifully pressed and magnificently produced and the CD is a CD. 8)
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Just got this email from John MacLean:
"off the top of my head it is the same music, but was remastered for the vinyl, and because there is so much going on, perhaps the mastering frequencies has brought out new sounds, hidden others.. and vinyl will always be warmer/better/fuller...".

So I will add maybe its me but I had listened to Luna on cd so much that when I played the vinyl I heard a different mix.
I will defer to Olan on this one when he compares the two.

I saw the Aliens play a stormer to 25 or 30 people in Detroit. One of the great nights out for live music for me in the last 10 years. I hope they aren't done.
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

spzretent wrote:
Shinesalight wrote:I don't suppose you've got any more of these vinyl copies of Luna lying around looking for a good home have you Spzretent? :wink:
I have 5 copies sitting in Yorkshire just awaiting shipment. Let me email the person who has them.
If they're not all spoken for Spzretent, any chance you could put a copy aside for me also? Missed out at the time the vinly was up for sale, couldn't get to any gigs to buy there and had no luck from their site.

Post by spzretent »

I have 6 copies in Leeds. If my friend in Leeds would be kind enough to faciltate shipping these out I could do them for less than the $40 + s&h I was getting after being shipped from the UK. They would still be at least 20 quid I guess. Not sure what post and record mailers are. This price is if they are going to a UK address only.
I know these are expensive but then again there is only 500 and they are bee-autiful items!
This is the third and last order of these for me. There are none left and I just as soon these go to people on this message board than someone who runs across them on the internet.
PM me if interested.
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

That would be wonderful, anything in that region price-wise more than reasonable considering I haven't been able to find a copy in 2+ years of looking. Cheers Spzretent!

Post by olan »

spzretent wrote: So I will add maybe its me but I had listened to Luna on cd so much that when I played the vinyl I heard a different mix.
I will defer to Olan on this one when he compares the two.

I saw the Aliens play a stormer to 25 or 30 people in Detroit. One of the great nights out for live music for me in the last 10 years. I hope they aren't done.
I'll have to search for the CD in the basement and rip it as I don't own a CD player any longer. I've also got cloth ears and don't express myself very well, so it might be pointless anyway :roll: ......

Very jealous about you seeing the Aliens play. I never had the opportunity sadly.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

olan wrote:Very jealous about you seeing the Aliens play. I never had the opportunity sadly.
I once had to throw a ticket away for an Aliens gig as I mis-timed kids half time dates.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

runcible wrote:
olan wrote:Very jealous about you seeing the Aliens play. I never had the opportunity sadly.
I once had to throw a ticket away for an Aliens gig as I mis-timed kids half time dates.
I feel your pain from here......
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Have they called it a day? I suppose I could email John MacLean and ask. I dont want to be a pain in the ass though. Even though he is pretty quick about responding.

Its one of those shows when you get this sinking feeling your stomach about the poor turnout and they just let it loose. The Beastie Boys were doing a limited engagement down the street and their tour bus pulled up to the venue which also has "Rock & Bowl" on the first floor. The Beastie's fans thought they were gonna play an after show gig. I turned around and all of a sudden the place has like 150 people. I think the venue just let them upstairs for free and figured they would drink.
Hopefully a few of those fans got turned on to an amazing band.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

spzretent wrote:Have they called it a day? I suppose I could email John MacLean and ask. I dont want to be a pain in the ass though. Even though he is pretty quick about responding.
They are welcome to play a reunion in my local at any time! We can get at least 40 into the Edinburgh without any hassle, the beer is great and it is a quick walk home for clewsr and I as a bonus.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

spzretent wrote:1 down 5 to go :D
I have pm'd Shinesalight if he wants one thats 4 left.
Cheers for remembering me man...check your PM's.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

spzretent wrote:Have they called it a day? I suppose I could email John MacLean and ask. I dont want to be a pain in the ass though. Even though he is pretty quick about responding.
This was posted on their Facebook page at the back end of 2010... Not an definite end so hope for more in the future....

Dear Alienoids, I'm aware some of you are wondering when we will make a new record and the truth is. Not for a while. We were never the kind of band to get on the album,tour,album,tour cycle.. and we all have other interests and have been making albums together for a while. Gordon has build a recording studio in his cottage in Scotland and is writing and recording daily and will be releasing Lone Pigeon albums, film soundtrack work, and start comedy and film writing projects soon.

John has completed his first short film called 'Man on a Motorcycle' shot last year on him mobile phone and stars Michael Fassbender. It was shown in the London film Festival and secured him funding from film4for his second short filmRobin has been working with Rich Greentree on songs, and has now jetted off to New Zealand to travel for six months. So.. lots of stuff to come and as We-three-Aliens are the best-of-buddies we are sure to be recording again in the future,Thanks for the support over the last few years, an Alien x x

Post by jadams501 »

Broc wrote:I always disliked Pearl Jam so I’m probably a little biased here... to my untrained, non-musician ears PJ sound like they’re just thrashing through it with no subtlety and they sound a bit monotonous after a while.

I also think the drumming is poor on this, there’s a few of the rockier tracks where you could substitute the drumming from one to the other and you wouldn’t notice a difference. I knew that it was recorded in under a week but I think PJ bring no imagination or passion to this record. Never heard about that PJ Merkinball EP and am glad it was left off the LP. Apologies to all PJ fans here but I always thought Eddie Vedder took himself way too seriously and I never liked his voice.
I don't really listen to a whole lot of Pearl Jam anymore, whereas in some of my formative years it was all the time. They do have some great material and Eddie is a great singer, even if he often lacks the taste to use his voice to its fullest. I believe that they are basically genuine in what they do. But at a certain point the musicianship is so sloppy, and the subject matter so often verges on the self-parodic, that I just can't fully immerse at this point.

But I still think they were one of the great bands of their era -- Ten, Vitalogy and No Code are excellent. They certainly captured a zeitgeist. It was Neil Young who recruited them, probably going for a neo Crazy Horse thing, so I don't blame them for the sloppiness of the record. Between 1994 and 1996 was probably their recording pinnacle. And that drummer, Jack Irons, had been in Red Hot Chili Peppers and brought some interesting tribal drum circle elements that he continued on some spacey solo albums. Mirrorball doesn't capture Pearl Jam's best playing.
Broc wrote:I’m a big VU & Lou Reed fan but don’t know much after Berlin, I’ve had my eye on Street Hassle for a while, is it a consistent album or would I be better off buying the 12”?
I'm not a huge Lou Reed solo fan so I tracked down the song Street Hassle for the Spacemen 3 link and the Springsteen cameo.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Tame Impala-Innervision,just heading out...
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Innervisions is a Stevie Wonder album... Innerspeaker is a Tame Impala album :lol:
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Hofstadter wrote:Innervisions is a Stevie Wonder album... Innerspeaker is a Tame Impala album :lol:
thanx for that Hofstadter,old age,drink and the excitment of going out,
Primal Scream-Burning Wheel ,what a tune ,this is why a love the Scream,
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Chris Robinson Brotherhood - various live shows (tip of the hat Laz!)
Grateful Dead - Various live shows, focusing on 1971 at the moment.
Grimble Grumble - Leaves Ladder
Black Crowes - Three Snakes and One Charm
The Band - Music From Big Pink
Ranking Dillinger - Non Stop Disco Style
Mikey Dread - African Anthem
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Eat Lights Become Lights: Carousel

Free track when you pre-order directly from Neil/They Transmit. Belting stuff, really looking forward to the album (and upcoming shows hopefuly).
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Warpaint - the Fool
The Allah-Las - s/t - super psyched this doesn't come out for a few weeks but the LP was out at Origami Vinyl's tent - grabbed it, it's such a great album to be finishing the summer with, wish I had it all summer long!

Nice dynamic between those two albums though, Warpaint's brooding melancholy and the Allah-Las fun summer cool.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

sfa - ratw
sfa - pp
sfa - hv

don't really care for hv but felt like revisiting it.. opinion hasn't changed much.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

jack white wrote:sfa - ratw
sfa - pp
sfa - hv

don't really care for hv but felt like revisiting it.. opinion hasn't changed much.
Been having a bit of an evening spinning some Super Furries vinyl myself. So, a la Jack White, I've been listening to:-

sfa - lk
sfa - pp
sfa - r

I think the opening 2 tracks on Love Kraft, Zoom and Atomik Lust are fucking great. Phantom Power and Radiator are class. Yeah, I was a bit unsure of Hey Venus when it first came out. Got it on CD so may have to give it another go before I try and track it down on vinyl.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

my best fiend- 'the ghostlike fading'
chromatics- 'kill for love'

both impulse buys, both too early in the game to tell what i really think- some aspects i find disappointing, some promising. neither is what i expected.

the verve- 'a storm in heaven' plus those live tracks from the 1998 tour video and a few from 1993.
the heads- 'relaxing with...'
wild nothing- 'nocturne'
dirty three- 'toward the low sun' (i feel comfortable in saying that i have trouble getting through the first two tracks but once i do this is my favourite dirty three record in ages).
peaking lights- 'lucifer' (still kind of struggling with this one to be honest- 'beautiful son' is what keeps me coming back because it's an amazing song)
moon duo/psychic ills split
a bunch of soul 45s
ty segall- 'goodbye bread'
veronica falls- 's/t'
brian jonestown massacre- 'take it from the man'
war on drugs- 'slave ambient'
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Freelovebabies. Both albums are wonderful.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Popped into the Record Store in Birkenhead this week, a treasure trove of a shop run by a bloke who wouldnt know what a smile was if it turned round and smacked him in the kipper. Anyhow I digress;

Purchased- Before The Frost by Black Crowes (really liked this, only one listen but really has hit the spot)

also picked up Chrome Dreams II by Neil Young, decent on first listen, without blowing me away,

Then I opted for Live/Dead on CD by Grateful Dead- I have listened to this 3 times, thinking maybe its me and I have missed something, but i just dont like it at all, lots of aimless jazzy noodling and nothing that left me thinking, 'yep that is top draw', some of the bluesy style jams I just found boring. Sorry Redcloud, Runcible etc I have given them a go, but probably not for me.

Black Market Karma have an album out on Flower Power records, (they have released 4 in two years), all free, just sign upto the labels mailing list and bob yer uncle. Proper Psych stuff and they are appearing Liverpool Psych Fest in a few weeks

That line up looks awesome, hopefully see some of you there
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

The Aliens - Luna

Thanks to Spzretent and Runcible for sorting this out. Such a great album and it sounds even better on double vinyl. 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

shalloboi wrote:the verve- 'a storm in heaven' plus those live tracks from the 1998 tour video and a few from 1993.
The version of Stormy Clouds/Reprise from that video is epic. Pity that one didn't get played more live.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

jadams501 wrote:
shalloboi wrote:the verve- 'a storm in heaven' plus those live tracks from the 1998 tour video and a few from 1993.
The version of Stormy Clouds/Reprise from that video is epic. Pity that one didn't get played more live.
Yeah, that version is the one. I always thought that there's more of that gig than what was on the video, they should release that officially. I'd like to get my hands on a recording of the gig that particular recording is from. It's like detroit 1997 or something, isn't it?
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:Satan Is Real- The Louvin Brothers
Never heard this album but I have seen its corny cover art. It's a classic. In fact, I wonder if that is one of the major reasons why it is so sought after?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

jadams501 wrote:
I saw it a few times.
I just watched the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y7-X5LjRjk
Holy shit, they were amazing.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

beaker73 wrote:I always thought that there's more of that gig than what was on the video, they should release that officially. I'd like to get my hands on a recording of the gig that particular recording is from. It's like detroit 1997 or something, isn't it?
I think so, but as far as I know a boot of that gig isn't in circulation. There are some good ones from that tour. I even like some of the shows from after Nick left.
redcloud wrote:
spzretent wrote:Satan Is Real- The Louvin Brothers
Never heard this album but I have seen its corny cover art. It's a classic. In fact, I wonder if that is one of the major reasons why it is so sought after?
The amazing cover is definitely part of why the album is so well-known, but it's a great classic with beautiful country harmonies. The Kneeling Drunkard's Plea is pure perfection and Gram Parsons fans will recognize The Christian Life. I don't know how much anyone cares about my many country music recommendations, but Satan Is Real is one of those essential albums.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Tyler, you mentioned The Chromatics' album. I thought I would really dig this, but mostly I've found it pretty boring. For me, it doesn't live up to the hype.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

spzretent wrote:
jadams501 wrote:
I saw it a few times.
I just watched the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y7-X5LjRjk
Holy shit, they were amazing.
that is exactly the one i was talking about. ridiculous. i dug up a cdr that i had which i recorded off of a stereo vcr. there was an mtv 'live from the 10 spot' that came out around 1997 where they showed nearly an hour of the wigan set and it included some great versions of 'this is music' and 'catching the butterfly' early on in the set that (for whatever reason) didn't make it onto the home video. ridiculously epic stuff. that 'stormy clouds' has always been the best. i'm thinking it's either from detroit or chicago 1997- some of the footage shown over 'life's an ocean' is from streets near the vic here in town. if only i'd been savvy enough to have been at that show- i was living here when they came through on that tour.
TheWarmth wrote:Tyler, you mentioned The Chromatics' album. I thought I would really dig this, but mostly I've found it pretty boring. For me, it doesn't live up to the hype.
yeah, i feel a little duped. i'm hoping that at least the vinyl will go out of print and be worth something. what's most annoying about it to me is how there is some really good stuff on it that's never fully explored. picked it up on permanent's recommendation, as their seal of approval is normally a pretty solid bet. in this case i'm pretty disappointed.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

I really like the latest Chromatics album. I skip the instrumentals and the songs where the guy sings, but the rest of it is just fabulous in my opinion. I also like the new Wild Nothing.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The new Four Tet, Pink, is awesome. I think it's his best stuff yet. Totally blows the last album out of the water. I admit that I was annoyed at having to buy mp3s with only a $40 import Japanese cd available as a physical release, but it was worth it. I'll still buy a vinyl copy if it is ever released in that format.