What Are You Listening To Now?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

redcloud
Known user

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

Post by redcloud »

shalloboi wrote:
Laz69 wrote:New Asteroid #4 track...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvYTtDv8s80

Its a topper! 8)
nice! had no idea they had anything new coming out. lovely track, too.
Yep. Announced in this very forum by spzretent in December:

http://ideensynthese.de/spiritualized/v ... 75#p110271
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Yes - Time And A Word

RIP Peter Banks
princeskinny
Known user

Qui

Post by princeskinny »

David Crosby - 'If Only I Could Remember My Name'
Flying Lotus - 'Until the Quiet Comes'
Jim Sullivan -'UFO'
Max Richter - 'Henry May Long OST'

The last one a stunning classical piece as recommended by Ed Harcourt in his Bakers Dozen on The Quietus.......not a fan of his, but his got pretty great taste.....
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

BRMC - Specter at the feast: sounds good to me, upon first listen
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
redcloud
Known user

Re: Qui

Post by redcloud »

princeskinny wrote:David Crosby - 'If Only I Could Remember My Name'
I love this album. It is one of those special records that I have given to people as a gift.

I also have four cd's of outtakes from its recording session.
princeskinny
Known user

Post by princeskinny »

Four CD's of outtakes?

Where did you get that??!!!! More details please!
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

princeskinny wrote:Four CD's of outtakes?

yeah....woah 4 discs! i have 2...
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Yo La tengo - Fade. I really like the sound of this after a few listens, haven't played much YLT since I'm Not Afraid Of You... and this is super. I like their editing too, short enough tracks but keeping the wigouts for the right spots. Great use of some string and horn arrangements too.

Going to see them for the first time next weekend at Vicar St. in Dublin, this record has got me really excited about it.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Panda Bear - Person Pitch (Good Girl/Carrots, specifically...)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

It's a good, thorough study of the album. Four cd's worth of various alternate takes. A completists dream.
princeskinny
Known user

Post by princeskinny »

Well, I'm sat at work, but all alone, so it affords me the luxery of hours of iPod time....So far today....

Beach Boys - 'Smile Sessions' - facinating for sure, and there's moments of absolute joy.....
Spiritualized - 'Sweet Heart, Sweet Light'
Arvo Part - 'Tabula Rasa' - beautiful stuff....
Faces - 'Ooh La La'
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

redcloud wrote:

It's a good, thorough study of the album. Four cd's worth of various alternate takes. A completists dream.
Sorry for my short reply yesterday...we have guests visiting so I didn't want to be rude and spend a lot of time on the computer.

I can upload these discs and share with those interested. Like I said they are alternate takes of the songs....so, it is more for the completist than the casual fan.

Spunder, is this what you have? If so, I guess I just have two more discs worth of material?
princeskinny
Known user

Post by princeskinny »

No worries redcloud, and I for one would love you to share the outtakes.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

redcloud wrote:
Spunder, is this what you have? If so, I guess I just have two more discs worth of material?
i have 2 discs called 'if only i could remember...these sessions' and a great gig live at the Matrix: Crosby, Garcia, Lesh from'70

i'm listening to : The Caretaker, 'an empty bliss beyond this world' and YE GODS, The Boo Radleys; everythings alright forever.....a psychedelic barnstormer
jadams501
Known user

Re: Qui

Post by jadams501 »

redcloud wrote:
princeskinny wrote:David Crosby - 'If Only I Could Remember My Name'
I love this album. It is one of those special records that I have given to people as a gift.

I also have four cd's of outtakes from its recording session.
I had never heard this album until yesterday, and I feel like it already existed in my head as a composite of what I like best about Dennis Wilson and various singer-songwriters of the time. It's brilliant, so thanks to all for the recommendation!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spunder wrote:
i have 2 discs called 'if only i could remember...these sessions' and a great gig live at the Matrix: Crosby, Garcia, Lesh from'70
Mine is called "If I Could Only Remember My Name-Sessions". 4 discs....alternate takes with some studio talking in between. I'm uploading now...skinny, I will share later today or tomorrow. I'm sure it is the same as yours I probably just have two extra discs.

I think I have that Crosby/Lesh/Garcia show too. In fact, I'm almost positive. I'll dig around for it too.

Jadams...glad you heard this record. It is beautiful A true gem.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

spzretent wrote: Asteroid No.4- Windmill Of The Autumn Sky test pressing(sorry couldn't help my self. I'm really excited!).
How many tracks on this mini-LP?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Bank holiday weekend here so i'm giving my head a rest from school books and listening to lots of tunes :D

Thee Oh Sees - Dog Poison, Floating Coffin. New album rocks!
Chelsea Light Moving - S/T. Thurston Moore's latest project. Very good album, a lot heavier than I was expecting.
Velvet Underground and Nico by Castle Face and Friends. Various artists covering a song each. A bit hit and miss.
The Band In Heaven - Demos
Clinic - Free Reign II. Remix of the latest Clinic album. Nice.
Gnod - Chaudelande cd. Hadn't listened to either of the Chaudelande releases in a while and it struck me that if you stripped away the effects on some of the songs it could be New Model Army or Southern Death Cult. I like it but you really have to be in the mood.
Endless Boogie - Focus Level. Great stuff, love it.
Lard - The Power Of Lard EP. Dug this out for god knows what reason but it still sounds great. The b-side 'Time to Melt' is the killer. An unrelenting 32 minute dirge. If Gnod released this someone would write "A visionary dystopian eyeball into the simultaneous pre/post industrial apocalypse carrying the listener on a paradoxical soothing wave of paranoia." Or someother complete bollocks to that effect.
Psych For Sore Eyes. Still not tired of it. I really hope this is a new direction for Sonic Cathedral as it pisses all over anything else they've put out, including the Elevators tribute. Lorelle Meets The Obsolete, The Band In Heaven and The Vacant Lots are the ones who stand out for me. Especially the Band In Heaven tune.Gets me playing air guitar, wishing I was in a band, every time :oops:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
princeskinny
Known user

Post by princeskinny »

John Adams - 'Harmonium'
Miles Davis - 'Guinnevere' from the 'Complete Bitches Brew Sessions' - 21 minutes of restrained, blissed out, sitar laced genius. I love this.
Arvo Part - 'Spiegel im Spiegel'
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Specter At The Feast (double vinyl)

Having gone off them a bit with the release of the distinctly average Beat the Devils Tattoo, I think this is a return to form. Still not quite up to the brilliance of their first three offerings, but a pretty great album none-the-less. Keeping on the BRMC theme, I've been playing quite a lot of Baby 81 in the car recently and discovered I like that album a lot more than I initially did.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Shinesalight wrote:Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Specter At The Feast (double vinyl)

Having gone off them a bit with the release of the distinctly average Beat the Devils Tattoo, I think this is a return to form. Still not quite up to the brilliance of their first three offerings, but a pretty great album none-the-less. Keeping on the BRMC theme, I've been playing quite a lot of Baby 81 in the car recently and discovered I like that album a lot more than I initially did.
I've been curious about the new BRMC. I think I'm alone in thinking Baby 81 was a return to form from Howl (which had some tracks I liked, but felt contrived to me) but nothing on Devil's Tattoo grabbed me. I'll have to check it out.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

low- 'the invisible way'
staying up late to listen to this one. so far the first two tracks are really beautiful.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Strokes, The ~ Comedown Machine (streaming via Pitchfork): First song is really over-the-top 80's. It's a good tune, but I'm really tried of the 80's retro thing. The second track is the single, "All The Time," which is pretty average and back to the classic Is This It style Strokes sound. At least they're not ripping off Michael Jackson (see track one). I haven't been able to latch onto a Strokes album since they released the disastrous First Impressions Of Earth, although all of their records have excellent highlights. Not sure the new one will change that. I'll give it a chance, though and will keep listening throughout the day.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

TheWarmth wrote:Strokes, The ~ Comedown Machine (streaming via Pitchfork): First song is really over-the-top 80's. It's a good tune, but I'm really tried of the 80's retro thing. The second track is the single, "All The Time," which is pretty average and back to the classic Is This It style Strokes sound. At least they're not ripping off Michael Jackson (see track one). I haven't been able to latch onto a Strokes album since they released the disastrous First Impressions Of Earth, although all of their records have excellent highlights. Not sure the new one will change that. I'll give it a chance, though and will keep listening throughout the day.
I have come to really appreciate First Impressions after an initially negative reaction. It doesn't have the concise perfection of the first two LPs, but it has both the strengths and weaknesses of a traditional double album. You Only Live Once, On The Other Side and a few others stand with the Strokes' best, but a lot of it is interesting ideas thrown at the wall to see what sticks. Even when some of the songs needed editing or don't entirely gel there's usually a compelling something that brings me back, and it's good to hear the band just play. Which makes First Impressions feel endlessly intriguing to me, like there's always something new to discover. I love the first two albums, and they are objectively better, but as a hardcore fan I may listen to First Impressions more often, in the same way that I now turn to the Ladies & Gents demos more often than the album itself.

I also thought Angles was much better than people gave it credit for. I've only heard the single from the new album once but their track record makes me think it will be pretty good. I'm avoiding the stream because I don't like to give Pitchfork web traffic, but will look forward to hearing it next week.

Right now, Strokes - Life Is Simple In The Moonlight. Probably my favorite track from the last album.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

I received the two Lorelle Meets The Obsolete LPs today from Sonic Cathedral and managed to play them both tonight. The second one - Corruptible Faces - sounds really good on first listen, a big leap ahead from the debut. Took a bit of a chance after never hearing of them before the Psych For Sore Eyes EP and it looks it's paid off :D
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Eternal Tapestry - Pyramid Vision (So beautiful...)
Carlton Melton - Nor'easter (Can't listen to this enough just now...)
Golden Void - 1983 (Hendrix cover... superb cover version)
Lumerians - Corkscrew Trepanation (Classic early track...)
The Higher State - Everything I See (Superb 60s throwback... trying desperately to bring some warm, sunshine vibes to a very cold and wet Glasgow day...)
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

drcarlsonalbion - Reynardine
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

jadams501 wrote:
TheWarmth wrote:Strokes, The ~ Comedown Machine (streaming via Pitchfork): First song is really over-the-top 80's. It's a good tune, but I'm really tried of the 80's retro thing. The second track is the single, "All The Time," which is pretty average and back to the classic Is This It style Strokes sound. At least they're not ripping off Michael Jackson (see track one). I haven't been able to latch onto a Strokes album since they released the disastrous First Impressions Of Earth, although all of their records have excellent highlights. Not sure the new one will change that. I'll give it a chance, though and will keep listening throughout the day.
I have come to really appreciate First Impressions after an initially negative reaction.

i quite liked the first track off the new one - a little less MJ & a little more Blondie i'd say. tho Julian does adopt some high-MJ vocals along the course of the LP..
overall tho while i defo thought it was a step up from FIoE & Angles (which i'd completely, mercifully, forgotten about until seeing jdams' post). but that's p faint praise i concede.

they just seem hung-up on their 80s fetish.. it's enough w/that & the dodgy disco already. fucking hell it's like how many times are they gonna cover the same ground?
one of the highlights of the new one i thought was the last track, indicating a slightly blues-ier, murky trajectory for them. not that the 3min pop song that's their bread & butter isn't still potent (Welcome to Japan is sweet) it's just at this stage i'd have expected a bit more variety & ambition. it's like they're still running a race they finished a long fucking time ago, running around in circles.

i dunno. i do have a problem w/their attitude this is true. all the BS about how they struggle for a new album/producer etc. but none of that ever seems to translate. they just seem to go in & make, w/diminishing returns, the same album over & over again. the source they're tapped into post Is This It just really doesn't make it for me however. they do have some good hits since the debut but their albums haven't been for me. & this one while i find it more inviting than their previous i can't see it sustaining too many repeat listens.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

jack white wrote:overall tho while i defo thought it was a step up from FIoE & Angles (which i'd completely, mercifully, forgotten about until seeing jdams' post). but that's p faint praise i concede.
What was it about Angles you disliked? Never understood the negative reaction, I thought it was a good record with catchy songs and diversity of material.
jack white wrote:it's just at this stage i'd have expected a bit more variety & ambition. it's like they're still running a race they finished a long fucking time ago, running around in circles.
they just seem to go in & make, w/diminishing returns, the same album over & over again. the source they're tapped into post Is This It just really doesn't make it for me however. they do have some good hits since the debut but their albums haven't been for me.
I dunno, I think the Strokes just have a general type of material they do -- kind of a bleary and weary late night thing. Kind of like how Spaceman has the same archetypes and well of inspiration that returns to. It hasn't gotten old for me and they've changed up sonically as time has gone on. I always preferred Room On Fire to Is This It though.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

thee oh sees- 'floating coffin' (side one so far)
i absolutely love this. i don't understand how they can keep making great records, but whatever. here's hoping it never ends.
i also have white fence- 'cyclops reap' but my in-laws are in town so it'll be another late night listening session.
besides that today i've listened to-
low- 'the invisible way' (i like this, but it's not as good as 'c'mon.' kind of unfair to compare, though, as 'c'mon' is the best record they'd released in about 10 years. it's kind of like 'secret name' measured against 'things we lost in the fire.')
mazzy star- 'so tonight that i might see'
and a record that an old friend of mine made and sent me a few weeks ago- he plays really minimal smog-ish singspeak indie folk-type stuff.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Alvin Lee & Mylon LeFevre - "On The Road To Freedom" (Columbia Records)

This is really wonderful album from 1973. Alvin had left Ten Years After and joined this American country/gospel/soul boy from Mississippi. Alvin seems totally relaxed and at ease. No long blues standards just lovely country tinged songs that sound better and better with every play. Most of you can probably find this LP in a used record bin for under $5. Highly recommended. This gorgeous track kicks the whole LP off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4YMmSvDz9w

Mylon, by the way, has since found Christ and has denounced and turned his back on his "rock and roll" lifestyle of the past. Thankfully, records are a slice of history and this LP lives to tell a wonderful story that he should be proud of.
princeskinny
Known user

Post by princeskinny »

redcloud wrote:Alvin Lee & Mylon LeFevre - "On The Road To Freedom" (Columbia Records)

This is really wonderful album from 1973. Alvin had left Ten Years After and joined this American country/gospel/soul boy from Mississippi. Alvin seems totally relaxed and at ease. No long blues standards just lovely country tinged songs that sound better and better with every play. Most of you can probably find this LP in a used record bin for under $5. Highly recommended. This gorgeous track kicks the whole LP off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4YMmSvDz9w

Mylon, by the way, has since found Christ and has denounced and turned his back on his "rock and roll" lifestyle of the past. Thankfully, records are a slice of history and this LP lives to tell a wonderful story that he should be proud of.
Wow, that's great. Never knew this existed so I'll definitely seek out the LP based on that fantastic track.....

In addition to that slice of brilliance, Funkadelic 'Funkadelic' has been in heavy rotation....In some ways 'Free Your Mind' and 'Maggot Brain have overshadowed it, but it certainly deserves equal billing. 'Free Your Mind' probably has better songs, but the production on that LP really let it down for me, it's sonically all over the place, and not always in a good way. Weird, as the production on the first LP is great, lovely balance between Eddie Hazel and the rest, especially. Plus, 'Mommy, What's A Funkadelic?' brings back nice memories from the 'Screamadelica' tour of course........
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

[
low- 'the invisible way' (i like this, but it's not as good as 'c'mon.' kind of unfair to compare, though, as 'c'mon' is the best record they'd released in about 10 years. it's kind of like 'secret name' measured against 'things we lost in the fire.')

I agree with Shallobi re-Low album, its good thats for sure, but doesnt touch Cmon, which I rate as being up there with their best work.

Should have the BRMC album later so that will be getting a few rotations, one of my fave bands, looking forward to their gig on Sunday, always a treat live and usually pretty loud
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

A handful of Laz69 comps, #15 & #16 have been on repeat. Impeccable taste 8)
I think I feel it coming on
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

princeskinny wrote: Wow, that's great. Never knew this existed so I'll definitely seek out the LP based on that fantastic track.....
It's well worth searching out. Sometimes solo stuff like this allows musicians of bands to be more creative and free of expectations or restraints. Jerry Garcia's solo stuff is similar in its sense of looseness and just having fun.
In addition to that slice of brilliance, Funkadelic 'Funkadelic' has been in heavy rotation....In some ways 'Free Your Mind' and 'Maggot Brain have overshadowed it, but it certainly deserves equal billing. 'Free Your Mind' probably has better songs, but the production on that LP really let it down for me, it's sonically all over the place, and not always in a good way. Weird, as the production on the first LP is great, lovely balance between Eddie Hazel and the rest, especially. Plus, 'Mommy, What's A Funkadelic?' brings back nice memories from the 'Screamadelica' tour of course........
Agreed on the first Funks album. It's brilliant. But, all three are superb. I start to drop off when they merged with Parliament as the sound seems to focus more on Bootsy's disco funk and less on Hazel's acid guitar, which is what I love. It also starts to sound more polished and less gritty. I also do not mind the production of "FYM&YAWF'. They were all tripping their balls off when they recorded and mixed it. So, the crazy, over the top, sonically fucked record kind of works and certainly captures the acid drenched vibe in that studio.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

purespace wrote:A handful of Laz69 comps, #15 & #16 have been on repeat. Impeccable taste 8)

Aww shucks! :oops: :D

Just compiled another today... no fancy covers or anything as tis was just for having in the car, but here's the link if you fancy a listen:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/b4ns5i

This is my playlist for today...

Brother JT - Rock Show/Comin'Out
The Black Angels - Evil Things
Psychic Ills - Tried To Find It
Asteroid No4 - Windmill of the Autumn Sky
The Higher State - These Things Take Time
Brother JT - Grok
Lumerians - Organ Grinder
The Band In Heaven - Sludgy Dreams
Speck Mountain - Backslider/Backsliding
Rebel Drones - Abusing The System
Brother JT - In Her Space
Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats - Poison Apple
Eternal Tapestry - Pyramid Vision
Brother JT - Take Infinity
Last edited by Laz69 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
princeskinny
Known user

Post by princeskinny »

redcloud wrote: Agreed on the first Funks album. It's brilliant. But, all three are superb. I start to drop off when they merged with Parliament as the sound seems to focus more on Bootsy's disco funk and less on Hazel's acid guitar, which is what I love. It also starts to sound more polished and less gritty. I also do not mind the production of "FYM&YAWF'. They were all tripping their balls off when they recorded and mixed it. So, the crazy, over the top, sonically fucked record kind of works and certainly captures the acid drenched vibe in that studio.
Don't get me wrong, I still love that album, I just find it frustrating in places. Plenty of bands have been off their heads producing great records and still manage to mix the thing properly....In places the drums sound terrible, the levels are all over the place, and the fading from one channel to the other just sounds really amatuerish.

I've got no problem with sonically all over the place records that reflect a mood, but when it reduces the impact of the songs I think it's a shame. Saying that, it may be my CD pressing. I'm normally a vinyl guy, but I only have this on CD, so it maybe the reissue itself....anyone venture a guess? And normally, this type of thing doesn't really bother me, I'm not an audio geek, just a bloke who thinks his amazing Funkadelic record could have quite easily sounded even better...
Ringo
New user

Post by Ringo »

Elephant Stone new self titled -WOW! Can't get enough of this - buy it if you haven't already
Vietnam - An American Dream - mmmmmm not sure, not as good as their debut
Holy Wave - Evil Hits - very good
Hookworms - Pearl Mystic - great
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

jadams501 wrote:
jack white wrote:overall tho while i defo thought it was a step up from FIoE & Angles (which i'd completely, mercifully, forgotten about until seeing jdams' post). but that's p faint praise i concede.
What was it about Angles you disliked? Never understood the negative reaction, I thought it was a good record with catchy songs and diversity of material.
jack white wrote:it's just at this stage i'd have expected a bit more variety & ambition. it's like they're still running a race they finished a long fucking time ago, running around in circles.
they just seem to go in & make, w/diminishing returns, the same album over & over again. the source they're tapped into post Is This It just really doesn't make it for me however. they do have some good hits since the debut but their albums haven't been for me.
I dunno, I think the Strokes just have a general type of material they do -- kind of a bleary and weary late night thing. Kind of like how Spaceman has the same archetypes and well of inspiration that returns to. It hasn't gotten old for me and they've changed up sonically as time has gone on. I always preferred Room On Fire to Is This It though.

re: angles
i will have to go re-visit it at some stage soon. at the time my feeling of it was it wasn't particularly strong or memorable. it seemed like they were [thinly] papering over the cracks. i'd thought even Room on Fire & definitely FIoE were such a struggle for so little reward that angles truly was not worth the effort. it just sounded like they'd run out good idea's & had finally scrapped the bottom of the barrel.
maybe time will shine a different perspective on it tho.

re your second point. one of the key things that attracted me to the strokes initially was their vibrancy, not so much the weary late-night kind thing (which did exist, i agree). they just seemed to lose that roguish snotty punk groove & got very serious all of a sudden & very serious over a whole lot of nothing.
there was a promise of freedom on Is This It that really went unfulfilled. (i think it was maybe as early as when they swapped NYC Cops - still possibly their greatest moment - for some lame tune in the American release).
the whole thing seemed to quickly became a job for them rather than a journey. it's hard to explain.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

jack white wrote: one of the key things that attracted me to the strokes initially was their vibrancy, not so much the weary late-night kind thing (which did exist, i agree). they just seemed to lose that roguish snotty punk groove & got very serious all of a sudden & very serious over a whole lot of nothing.
there was a promise of freedom on Is This It that really went unfulfilled. (i think it was maybe as early as when they swapped NYC Cops - still possibly their greatest moment - for some lame tune in the American release).
the whole thing seemed to quickly became a job for them rather than a journey. it's hard to explain.
I'm not a fan of the Strokes but I get the point you are making and actually think you state it well. I lived in the UK when they first came out and they immediately became poster boys and darlings of the NME and Melody Maker (maybe MM was defunct by then?). The massive hype the British music press placed on their heads certainly did them no favors and they were destined to not live up to it. I think the press wanted to present something fresh at the tail end of Brit Pop and what better than a handful of posh pretty boys from NYC wearing mod suits and trendy, expensive haircuts playing late 70's/80's rock that sounded a bit like The Cars mixed with a bit of The Jam? It was all too much of an image. I'm not saying the music wasn't there to back it up but the package and the hype is what turned me off. But, I don't think I was the audience they were aiming for anyway. They were shooting more for 16-24 year olds.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I lucked out with my introduction to The Strokes. I'd never heard of them before. I had tickets to see Doves at Double Door in Chicago, which is a pretty small venue and noticed that the Strokes were opening, but there was very little information about them at the time. They absolutely blew the roof off the place. I was really floored. The songs were amazing and the band was incredibly tight. I made an international call to Rough Trade in the UK the next day and ordered their single, which felt really strange since they were a NYC band. They didn't have copies of the single at the gig.
princeskinny
Known user

Post by princeskinny »

Gram Parsons/Emmylou Harris - 'Hearts on Fire'......it really doesn't get better than this
Pretty Things - 'Sf Sorrow'...especially 'The Journey'

and the amazing David Crosby 'If only...' outtakes that redcloud kindly shared.....unbeliveable
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

today-

bjm- 'and this is our music'
spiritualized- 'let it come down'
low- 'the invisible way'
hope sandoval- 'bavarian fruit bread'

brmc- 'specter at the feast'- i like the first four songs, the last three (the closing track is my favourite) and two of the mellower songs in the middle. the more rollicking songs are by far the weakest with the exception of the call cover (which is excellent) and the second to last track.
thee oh sees- 'floating coffin' over and over. it gets better every time i listen to it.
white fence- 'cyclops reap'- i like this, but nowhere near as much as 'family perfume.'
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Earthless- Rhythms from a Cosmic Sky. 3 songs in 45 mins of guitar shredding spacerock!

Wooden Shjips- Dos. still not convinced by this band tbh. wish the guitar was higher in the mix, and wish was bit less samey. they are good at what they do though, no doubt.

gonna lineup the new BRMC shortly.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

listened to the new BRMC a couple of times, I like it. most seem to be saying there is a slight sag in the middle, and the rockers on there are a bit formulaic- I'd agree with that, but the rockers are still pretty meaty and fun to listen to. should be good live.

Fire Walker opens with a great atmospheric drone and a meaty groove, love it. think it's going to explode but never does, a nice tease and a scene setter..

Sometimes The Light is the most blatant Spz moment on there. sounds a bit LGM or like Sometimes from Recurring.
Some Kind of Ghost sounds like a slower, spacier retread of Shuffle Your Feet..
really like penultimate track Sell It- another rocker, but one that really takes off near the end.

some slightly dodgy moments on there (the second track, and the last track are a bit U2 epic ballad territory)
I do find even the bands more mediocre moments are often saved by good production (always found their bass tone great in particular)

all in all a thumbs up. find that BRMC are a band that never blow me away per se but always find them worth listening to.
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

in work killin time

Dead TV mixtape (apologies if this is a repost)

https://soundcloud.com/deadtvlive/dead- ... stin-psych

TRACK LISTING

1. The Brian Jonestown Massacre - Everything Fades To White
2. Dead Tv Station Break
3. Dead Skeletons - Dead Is God
4. Goat - Run To Your Mama
5. Indian Jewelry - Heart Of A Dog
6. Silver Apples - Program
7. Suuns - 2020
8. The Moving Sidewalks - Scoun Da Be
9. The Laurels - Sway Me Down Gently
10. The Black Angels - My Boat Is Sinking
11. Roky Erickson - I Am
12. Tamaryn - Heavenly Bodies
13. Young Magic - Sparkly
14. Bass Drum Of Death - Velvet Itch
15. The Raveonettes - Young And Cold
16. The Cult Of Dom Keller - Heavy & Dead
17. The Black Ryder - Sweet Come Down
18. Lumerians - Untitled 1
19. Night Beats - Little War In The Midwest
20. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Berlin
21. Ride Into The Sun - Hunt Like Wolves
22. Hearts In Space - Gone By Yourself
23. Os Mutantes - Bat Mucumba
24. OM - Addis
25. The Besnard Lakes - The Lonely Moan
26. No Joy - Smiley Face
27. Holy Wave - Brahman
28. Wall Of Death - ThunderSky
29. Elephant Stone - A Silent Moment
30. Kaleidoscope - The Sky Children
31. Spectrum - Walking & Falling
32. Outro (Dead Tv Sailing)
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Peter Daltrey and The Asteroid #4: The Journey

Gorgeous!
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Northern Star Records has Psychedelia 5 now available for pre-order only for 9.99 GBP set for release in early May. 2.5 hours of goodness featuring our very own ELBL 8)

Track listing:

CD1

1. THE LAURELS - Tidal Wave
2. SINGAPORE SLING - Nothing Inside
3. TELSTAR SOUND DRONE - Mirror Pieces
4. THE KVB - Velveteen
5. THE GREENCOATS - No Expectations
6. YOUNGTEAM - Into Light
7. THE MEDICINE - Changing of The Times
8. DEAD PARTIES - In Dreams of Decadence
9. DEEP CUT - Dead Inside Your Heart
10. THE EARLY MORNING SATELLITES - Summertone
11. SECRET COLOURS - In The Absence
12. BABY WOODROSE - Baby Blows
13. THE SILHOUETTES - All A Lie
14. AIR CAV - A Call TO Arms
15. SKYSTONE - To The Other Side
16. THE SEE SEE - Open Up The Door
17. thelightshines - Ever The Eternal Optimist
18. THE URGES - In The End
19. HOUSE OF FIRE - The Morning Light
20. THE CAROUSELS - Call Along The Coast

CD2

1. PERFECT BLUE - A Bao A Qu
2. THE HIPPY MAFIA - How To Kill A Mosquito
3. THE ELECTRIC MAINLINE - How Deep Is Your Cut?
4. THE NOVA SAINTS - What Does It Feel Like?
5. SOUNDWIRE - Set In Steel
6. EAT LIGHTS; BECOME LIGHTS - Test Drive
7. PERISCOPE - Freak Beat
8. SPOTLIGHT KID - Haunting Me
9. ONE UNIQUE SIGNAL - Salon Echoic
10. THE TELESCOPES - We See Magic...
11. 93MILLIONMILESFROMTHESUN - As Bright As The Sky
12. SLOWNESS - Walls of Blue
13. KONTAKTE - Hope
14. THE LOST RIVERS - Death of Eve
I think I feel it coming on
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

BRMC I pretty much agree with the comments on their new album. Although I do like the cover of The call song, the last track though is way to obvious/stadium style. Live the songs stand up well, the rockers do kick ass and they opened with fire walker which worked well. That said, Im wondering what next for them, great live band but they are ytreading water a bit on record despite being one of my favourite acts. Hate the taste and Rival are BRMC rip offs of themselves, (Took out loan and Berlin) so maybe a re-think or mabe just make the albums 9 tracks instead of insisting on 12 all the time
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Laz69 wrote:Peter Daltrey and The Asteroid #4: The Journey

Gorgeous!

wow. this album is so good. I havent heard much from Kaleidascope (Peter Daltrys vocals) but the album overall has, for me, that Gene Clarke: No Other, spiritual vibe goin on
thanks Laz

picked it up on amazon. Couldnt find it anywhere else??
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I was the same. Thought it was maybe released in US only (not much info from the A4 website), but found it on Amazon.
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

listening to Four Tets previous album 'there's love in you' and especially the song 'this unfolds' reminds me deeply of spz 'electric mainline'.
'This unfolds' does exactly what the title promises
anyway, enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFSG3YYAoas
"Thank you"
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

another great one:'the au go go singers - 'high flyin' bird'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILqrv3ft4to
"Thank you"
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Acetone- s/t
Swans- My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to The Sky
The Soft Moon- Zeros
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

digging these guys!

http://follakzoid.bandcamp.com/album/ii-2

"Föllakzoid is a chilean based cosmic music band."
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

davedecay wrote:digging these guys!

http://follakzoid.bandcamp.com/album/ii-2

"Föllakzoid is a chilean based cosmic music band."
Yeah, they are good. Highlighted via Optical Sounds i think originally, but are also heading to the UK later in the year i believe for some shows...
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

magnolia electric co. (lots of stuff, but in particular 'the black ram' album from the Sojourner box set. incredible stuff!)

RIP Jason Molina...
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

redcloud wrote:
jack white wrote: one of the key things that attracted me to the strokes initially was their vibrancy, not so much the weary late-night kind thing (which did exist, i agree). they just seemed to lose that roguish snotty punk groove & got very serious all of a sudden & very serious over a whole lot of nothing.
I'm not a fan of the Strokes but I get the point you are making and actually think you state it well. I lived in the UK when they first came out and they immediately became poster boys and darlings of the NME and Melody Maker (maybe MM was defunct by then?). The massive hype the British music press placed on their heads certainly did them no favors and they were destined to not live up to it. I think the press wanted to present something fresh at the tail end of Brit Pop and what better than a handful of posh pretty boys from NYC wearing mod suits and trendy, expensive haircuts playing late 70's/80's rock that sounded a bit like The Cars mixed with a bit of The Jam? It was all too much of an image. I'm not saying the music wasn't there to back it up but the package and the hype is what turned me off. But, I don't think I was the audience they were aiming for anyway. They were shooting more for 16-24 year olds.
they definitely captured a moment. whether it was fabricated or genuine i don't know or even think matters too much, but they definitely were there at the right time.
yea the NME & british press just went crazy. i think it was something like they were bumped up onto the main stage of reading/leeds festival that summer. it was everything they did created a brouhaha & debate. they were the band to talk about. & i think it was at least partially down to the fact they did have some killer pop-rock songs & personified that atmosphere of nonchalant rock n roll swagger. they were most certainly a package the press could use.

but after the dust settled there still remains a question mark over them. & now 4 albums later it still remains. is this it?
because there is something there, beneath the hype & backlash. they do have potential to be an exciting rock n roll band. i agree 100% w/the warmth i caught them in a small venue upon the release of Room on Fire & they truly were a revelation & put on a really entertaining show that really got people off.
but on album & since then just don't seem to be able to grasp that chance & explode w/it. they don't seem to be able to take control of what they're about or where they're going. they seem to be treading the same water they were in when they first appeared. i mean, where is their country album for goodness sake?! it's all the same shrugging of the shoulders, crying for attention, mumbling over some sparkly 80's indebted 3min shuffle. & i mean, what's more galling it's like what are they waiting for? what have they got to lose? unless it's just simply a case of that this is all they have to offer.... which is looking quite like the case.. maybe this is it. it which case well it was a nice summer in 2002 & the 30 odd minutes of the debut are nice for a nostalgia trip & it's nice to ear something else other than taylor swift on the radio every 3yrs when they release the new single...

anyway, on topic, been listening to:
matthew e white - big inner
phosphorescent - muchacho
gonna burn brightly
for a while
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Led Zeppelin Mobile AL 1973 sbd 2xCD

Artist: Led Zeppelin
Date: 1973-05-13
Venue: Memorial Auditorium
Source: Soundboard
Lineage: 2nd gen cassettes>wav(24/96)>flac
Transfer Equipment: Revox B-215>Pro Tools DAW done December 2008
Transferred By: weedwacker
Attachments
folder.jpg
folder.jpg (123.09 KiB) Viewed 8811 times
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

King Tubbys - Dub Gone Crazy - The Evolution of Dub at King Tubby's 1975-1979
Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
Primal Scream - 'It's Alright, It's OK'
Jerry Lee Lewis - Mercury Years Vol 1 1963-1968
Public Image Ltd - Public Image: First Issue (2011 Remaster)

All on steady rotation last few days...
O P 8
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Humble Pie - s/t (3rd LP)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

redcloud wrote:Humble Pie - s/t (3rd LP)
:D
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Psychic Ills - One Track Mind

The epitome of strung-out stoner rock.... I'm loving this. Think this is another Spzretent/Redcloud recommendation. Thank you once again chaps. :D
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

The Cosmic Dead - S/T on double vinyl (orange)

Wow. Just, wow!!!! Cardinal Fuzz can do no wrong :D 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

redcloud wrote:Humble Pie - s/t (3rd LP)
As a Small Faces fan I also really like most of their stuff, however Humble Pie never seem to have got the recognition they deserve by comparison.

Currently listening to:

Belle & Sebastian - Live Stockholm (early 2000's) + If You're Feeling Sinister (live Barbican)
Parastatic - Lost Highway
Spz - Live Glasgow ABC 2012
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle