What Are You Listening To Now?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Laz69
Known user

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

Post by Laz69 »

shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

i'm in the process of loading all of my CDs onto a backup drive- a grueling task but kind of a nice way to find your way back to a few forgotten classics. the best of the bunch so far from this week are-

cranes- 'forever,' 'loved,' 'wings of joy'
slowdive- 'souvlaki' reissue, plus a collection of their EP tracks from the 'just for today' bonus cd and the 'souvlaki' one- such a shame how easy it is to forget what a great band they were in their own right.
unwound- 'leaves turn inside you'
mojave 3- 'ask me tomorrow'- nothing else they've done gets me quite as much as this one does.
mazzy star- 'among my swan'
telescopes- the second self-titled record and all of the related EP tracks.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

A great deal of Magazine. Has to be a good thing.
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

shalloboi wrote: mojave 3- 'ask me tomorrow'- nothing else they've done gets me quite as much as this one does.
indeed.. i think it's because it's the most slowdive-y of their albums.. "unplugged slowdive" as allmusic put it

their other stuff is maybe a bit too indie-folksy for me.. out of tune has some pretty good ones though
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

runcible wrote:A great deal of Magazine. Has to be a good thing.
great band. i go through phases of listening to them a lot.
have you heard this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvf609OvWMk
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Laz69 wrote:White Hills stuff...

http://www.sendspace.com/file/weuyh3
cheers for putting that up Mr Laz69, had the Stars stuff , but the others back filled some White Hills spaces for me, much appreciated,
me ? am listening to Electric Wizard-Black Masses, wouldn`t claim to be anything but a novice in this field of music ,but I like this , keep coming back to it.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Was: Mercury Rev - Live in Brixton 1992
Now: Eels - Souljacker
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

And now: Stereolab - Refried Ectoplasm (Switched On Volume 2)
princeskinny
Known user

Post by princeskinny »

'Drive - Original Soundtrack'
Nearly God - 'Nearly God' - so, so underrated this album....Tricky could do no wrong for a few, short years...
Tapper Zukie - 'MPLA'
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Buffalo Springfield - Again

"Bluebird" is such a fantastic tune. Especially the various extended versions that exist (live and studio alternates).
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

redcloud wrote:Buffalo Springfield
A band i've never explored further. Only track i have heard is a demo of "Out Of My Mind" which is lovely. Which albums should i look out for?
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Laz69 wrote:
redcloud wrote:Buffalo Springfield
A band i've never explored further. Only track i have heard is a demo of "Out Of My Mind" which is lovely. Which albums should i look out for?
If you like the Byrds or sunny Southern Californian jingle jangle, folk/country psych then these guys are essential. They only recorded three albums and all three are great. I've always been partial to the 2nd, "Again" but you can't do wrong with any of them.

As with most 60's bands there are a ton of posthumous releases too with outtakes, live sessions etc. There is a double LP that was released in the 70's simply called "Buffalo Springfield" that has some fantastic cuts that help fill in the pieces. The unreleased long versions of 'Bluebird' make it worth the price of admission alone. There was another bootleg album that came out called "Sell Out" that has these and a other live tracks as well. If you get them on cd or digital let me know. These are albums I have always wanted to eventually get on to my ipod so I could listen to them while on the go. But, I only have the LP versions.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

The Flying Burrito Brothers - The Gilded Palace Of Sin & Burrito Deluxe
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The Buffalo Springfield 4xCD box that came out ... I don't know, 6 or 7 years ago, is great. Wonderful stuff. That demo of "Out Of My Mind" is incredible.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Been listening to a couple of Buffalo Springfield boots i found online. The extended and live versions of Bluebird are just superb. Some of the live versions just decend into really groovy, fuzzed up jams... brilliant. I can hear simialr sounds to The Grateful Dead, Love, Quicksilver Messenger Service, et al amongst some of the tracks... really interesting going through all the tracks.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Laz69 wrote:Been listening to a couple of Buffalo Springfield boots i found online. The extended and live versions of Bluebird are just superb. Some of the live versions just decend into really groovy, fuzzed up jams... brilliant. I can hear simialr sounds to The Grateful Dead, Love, Quicksilver Messenger Service, et al amongst some of the tracks... really interesting going through all the tracks.
Absolutely! They totally rock that tune. Glorious! Neil gets a lot of worthy praise but Stephen Stills, in my opinion, was the guts of that band. Also a wonderfully underrated guitarist.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:Testing out some vintage speakers
What kind and do they have built in speaker cable or were you able to connect your own? Sounding good??
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Carlton Melton - Live in Europe '12 (RSD Release)

Really loving the sound of this. This is the one RSD release that I really wanted so I'm so glad I was able to get my hands on a copy. I'm sure I read somewhere that they're going to be touring over here again the Autumn along with White Manna which would be an excellent double bill 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Daft Punk - 'Get Lucky'
O P 8
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

redcloud wrote:
spzretent wrote:Testing out some vintage speakers
What kind and do they have built in speaker cable or were you able to connect your own? Sounding good??
DCM Time Windows.vs Polk Audio Towers. Time Windows won.

Mercury Rev- Boces LP music On Vinyl reissue. Its blowin' my head off ....again!
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

George Jones - Blue & Lonesome
gonna burn brightly
for a while
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Uncle Acid -Mind Control ,
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

lots of bowery electric for me this friday

untitled ep
s/t
beat
lushlife

things'll never be the same
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Been in a BJM mood today so a lot of early (primal Jonestown!) and various oddities from their catalog:

Diane Perry Tapes
Pol Pots
'98 Peel Session
etc.
JakeCardigan
Known user

Post by JakeCardigan »

The Bong/ Pyramidion split 12"

have a listen here, http://pyramidion.bandcamp.com/album/bong-split
[url]http://adventuresinthesoundscape.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.mixcloud.com/adventuresinthesoundscape/[/url]
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

mgmt - alien days

great track, very similar to their 'congratulations' sound, but that's no bad thing as far as i'm concerned. I'm sure they split opinion on here, but I think they're great despite being pitchfork darlings (and after all, that wasn't that their cynical game plan from the start?)
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

The Fall: The Peel Sessions Box Set.

Brilliant stuff. We are attempting to listen to the whole thing at one go, but may not make it. The sheer relentless nature of the music gets a bit disorienting after 3 or 4 hours...... :?
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

The Fall are playing Belfast nxt week. Unfortunately don't think I'm gonna be able to go. Haven't seen them & was hoping this'd be perfect opportunity but think I'll have to miss out..

Listened to Spz - LAGWAFIS this morning, revisited in light of the upcoming Dublin performance.. Was a good listen. Relatively traumatic & provoking. A worthwhile endeavour. Even tho I tumbled over two towers of cd's & books in the process creating an almighty mess..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Off to see The Fall here in Liverpool on May 10th. Made it through 5 disks of the Peel Sessions, but had to pack it in. Krautrock since with the debut Neu and Harmonia albums.....
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

FINALLY managed to listen to the Carlton melton RSD release. Its F***IN' INCREDIBLE!!!!! This ain't gonna be leaving the my ears for a while... and with hints of another UK visit later this year, i cannot afford to miss this band next time around.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Thee Oh Sees - Floating Coffin - loving this new album, makes me want to lose my shit in the sunshine. Possibly my favourite band of the moment right now.

Parque Courts - Light Up Gold - only bought this yesterday but really liking it so far. Reminds me of the Modern Lovers, early Strokes, Pavement. Nice attitude to it. Short punchy songs which seque brilliantly into eachother, plenty of groove going on, extended drone for Stoned and Starving.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Laz69 wrote:FINALLY managed to listen to the Carlton melton RSD release. Its F***IN' INCREDIBLE!!!!! This ain't gonna be leaving the my ears for a while... and with hints of another UK visit later this year, i cannot afford to miss this band next time around.
It's fucking immense isn't it! 8) They've got to be one of my favourite bands around at the moment. They've visited Brighton on their last 2 trips over to Europe so I'm hoping they're going to go for the hat-trick next time around, especially as I'm sure I read somewhere that they're going to be touring with White Manna. :D 8)

As for right now, I'm currently listening to another excellent release from this year's RSD:-

Bardo Pond - Rise Above It All (Maggot Brain/The Creator Has A Master Plan)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I have to agree, Carlton melton are without question one of the best pysch live bands out there. This RSD release is immense, even more enjoyable as its got a Hebden Bridge track on it (I was at that one).
They are obvioulsy announced for Liverpoool Pysch fest, but they will be playing other gigs as well, White Manna, Im reliably informed will be coming over with them, but thats just rumours to be honest.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Laz69 wrote:FINALLY managed to listen to the Carlton melton RSD release. Its F***IN' INCREDIBLE!!!!! This ain't gonna be leaving the my ears for a while... and with hints of another UK visit later this year, i cannot afford to miss this band next time around.
It's fucking immense isn't it! 8) They're probably my favourite current band around at the moment. They've played Brighton on their last two visits to Europe so I'm hoping they're going to make it the hat-trick later this year, especially as I'm sure I read somewhere that they're going to be touring with White Manna :D 8) 8)

Anyway, right at this moment I'm listening to another excellent release from this year's RSD:-

Bardo Pond - Rise Above It All (Maggot Brain/The Creator Has A Masterplan)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

dEUS - The Ideal Crash
must be one of my favs of all time, now wonderfully reissued on vinyl...
Earlier today the new Phoenix and the new Deerhunter, both a bit underwhelming at this point. Could be growers, though...
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Moon Duo- Circles Remix rsd,- finally , 2/3 listen enjoying it now ,paid full price from Piccadilly , could have had id for a £10 spot less on ebay yesterday, baws!!
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

beaker73 wrote:Earlier today the new Phoenix and the new Deerhunter, both a bit underwhelming at this point. Could be growers, though...
did you hear dinosaur jr's cover of 'entertainment'? laziest cover ever, but i still love it :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7QK31erwD0

i also love 'back to the middle' from the new deerhunter album, but otherwise similarly underwhelmed.
hopefully time will change that..
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

must agree with the thumbs up for the Carlton Melton rsd, sounds great , best thing I`ve heard by them yet, did anybodies come with a download code ? would love to get it onto my ipod...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Country Joe & The Fish - Electric Music For The Mind & Body
Country Joe & The Fish - I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

White Hills -Abstractions And Mutations, got this at their gig the other week , liking it very much , as a collection of odds and sods from a while back it stands up very well :)
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Psychic Ills -One Track Mind, side 2 , some great songs there , love the instrumental, Western Metaphor & City Sun, on closer inspection always more going on in these tracks than on first listen,
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Citay - Dream Get Together

82 degrees here today. Absolutely beautiful, warm and sunny. One of the top 5 driest springs on record. I just poured a glass of wine, made my wife a gin and tonic and put this record on. Man, it is sounding really good as the sun begins to set. :D
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Bardo Pond- Yntra
bloody hell this is good! I think this is the best Bardo I've yet heard, this is heavy and sludgy, brilliant!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

A load of RSD releases, only two of which I actually bought.

Carlton Melton - Live Europe 2012 (Cheers Olan). Bought this. Glad I did.
Mugstar - Centralia. Bought this also, direct from Cardinal Fuzz. Think I prefer this to Axis. If you like Mugstar you know what to expect.
Moon Duo - Circles Remixed. Hmm...Bit dodgy this. First few songs I thought it could be a grower, but then the last few it was more a case of 'i'll never listen to this again.'
Bardo Pond - Rise Above It All. Think I prefer the Pharaoh Sanders tune on the b-side, or maybe it was because I really wasn't in the humour for Maggot Brain. Will have to listen again. Pretty good though.
Steve Malkmus & Friends play Ege Bam Yasi. I wasn't aware this was a live recording. Not bad but it's doubtful i'd find myself listening to it again.
Brian Jonestown Massacre - FistFull of Bees/Food For Clouds. It's okay, nothing to get excited about.
Thee Oh Sees - Moon Sick. It's Thee Oh Sees, course it's good!
Ty Segall - Ty Rex 2. Ty Segall does two T-Rex covers. First one I wasn't too keen on, second one was better.

If I had bought all of the above i'd have being feeling pretty disappointed at the end of my listening session.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

moop wrote:
beaker73 wrote:Earlier today the new Phoenix and the new Deerhunter, both a bit underwhelming at this point. Could be growers, though...
did you hear dinosaur jr's cover of 'entertainment'? laziest cover ever, but i still love it :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7QK31erwD0
Haha, that's amazing. When I read your post, I hadn't had a chance to listen to the clip, but when I put on the phoenix lp again I could hear Dinosaur Jr doing the song. Just actually listened to the cover version and I love it :-)
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

McCartney's RAM while cutting the grass this weekend. Brilliant.

Picked up Wings Over America 3LP for a dollar on friday, the vinyl is VG+ to M-. Can't wait to get it on the turntable.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

sunray wrote:A load of RSD releases, only two of which I actually bought.

Carlton Melton - Live Europe 2012 (Cheers Olan). Bought this. Glad I did.

Moon Duo - Circles Remixed. Hmm...Bit dodgy this. First few songs I thought it could be a grower, but then the last few it was more a case of 'i'll never listen to this again.'
Glad I got the Carlton Melton live LP too, but the Moon Duo remixes are really a mixed bag. I like the ones on side A - a lot more dancefloor orientated than previous remixes, but side B does nothing for me.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I've been listening to the Carlton Melton RSD release repeatedly. It is absolutely fantastic. Finally played the Bardo Pond RSD album, also excellent. I picked up a second hand LP of music from "A Fistful of Dollars" and "A Few Dollars More", which is really different, but matches well with current favourites.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I just got the new Mainliner album 'Revelation Space'. I'd like to say I am currently listening to it but it's the closest thing to unlistenable as I have ever encountered. Very unpleasant!

Can anyone here say they've 'really got into it'?
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Citay - Little Kingdom

Sounding particularly lovely tonight. 8)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

is there anywhere I can download that Carlton Melton live album?
their show at Supersonic was possibly my gig of last year- mindblowing.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

Glen Brown And King Tubby - Version 78 Style - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJxB2xIAN28

Played on 6music this morning and now having a nose around trying to find a copy that won't break the bank. Reggae on vinyl only! This is an outstanding track.

I also inexplicably have had Speak Like A Child by The Style Council in my head and I was never a fan. Proving a lot easier to pick up than Glen Brown.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

mikal cronin- 'mcii'
deerhunter- 'monomania'

bought these two yesterday and not particularly thrilled with either one. the new mikal cronin is nowhere near as good as his debut and the new deerhunter just isn't grabbing me yet. 'halcyon digest' didn't take for a while either, though, and i ended up loving that one.

also,
kurt vile- 'wakin' on a pretty daze'

i've listened to this about six times now and there are only about three or four songs that i really like. all of my friends are going nuts over it though and i just don't get it. i've been listening to kv for years now, too.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

nickh wrote:Glen Brown And King Tubby - Version 78 Style - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJxB2xIAN28

Played on 6music this morning and now having a nose around trying to find a copy that won't break the bank. Reggae on vinyl only! This is an outstanding track.
An outstanding track indeed. All about the hypnotic, heavyweight bass... and the moment it changes for one bar sorta makes life worth living really. I knew this from one of those amazing mid-to-late 90s compilation albums on Blood & Fire - Glen Brown & King Tubby - Termination Dub.

Despite the blazing hot sunshine only lasting for yesterday (and I was working too!), the generally milder weather has seen me reaching for some of the more dubwise material too...

I've been digging deep into the awesome Trojan compilation of primetime Black Ark-era 12" dub mixes by Lee 'Scratch' Perry: Disco Devil: The Jamaican Discomixes. It's completely genius. Probably one of the best compilations ever, and it's at least as good as any other Scratch complation I've ever heard.

Also - Creation Rebel's Threat To Creation, Dr. Alimantado - Born for a Purpose, Annie Anxiety - Jackamo and King Tubby & Friends - Dub Gone Crazy. The last is also a great Blood & Fire comp.
O P 8
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

earlier:
The Byrds - Sanctuary IV / Dr. Byrds & Mr. Hyde
Still Corners - Strange Pleasures
Carter Tutti Void - Transverse
Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
now:
King Crimson - Red
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Factory Floor - Live in the Boiler Room
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Any update on the Cult of Dom Keller LP US release? I've been listening to "this is how it feels..." as well as "goatskin dream"a lot this past month and been building up lots of excitement. Any UK-ers heard the LP yet?
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

primal scream - more light
grim tower - anarchic breezes
jason lytle - department of disappearance
bevis frond - white numbers

been really enjoying all of these. the primals album is great fun and contains many elements of (and sometimes references to) their past sounds, which reminds me why i used to love them so much. at the same time it sounds fresh (as someone already pointed out in the other thread). hard to believe they could make an album this good after the last two. probably best since xtrmntr in my opinion.

grim tower is currently filling the void of any new pink mountaintops album. acoustic and eerie!

jason lytle - for some reason i didn't really connect with this album at first, but the other day it clicked and now i love it. i guess my expectations sort of got in the way of actually listening to it properly.

bevis frond - never heard this band/guy before, but have been really enjoying the album. to my ears it has a lots of that 'fuzzy logic' SFA sound, both in guitars and vocals (his accent really shouldn't sound like Gruff, but it does quite often.) There's a bit of j mascis sound in there too, and i'm also hearing some big star/byrds in the acoustic numbers. quirky, english, riff-heavy, catchy, soulful stuff.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Eddie and the Hot Rods - Teenage Depression
The Asteroid # 4 - Windmill of the Autumn Sky :D
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

1. Mark Lanegan and Duke Garwood: Black Pudding
2. Primal Scream: More Light

Picked up both today. Listened to both LPs once in the above order. Lanegan and Garwood is epic, simply stunning. I am sure the Primal Scream LP will grow on me, but it was going to be a hard act to follow after Black Pudding. It will be an amazing year for music if this is not in my top 3 albums for the year........
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Artist: Lollipop Shoppe
Album: Just Color

taste
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEeTTnadd2s
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Hedspace wrote:Artist: Lollipop Shoppe
Album: Just Color

taste
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEeTTnadd2s
Ah, a very good album and a legendary Portland band! Fred Cole is still very active in the local Portland scene. Worth checking out Dead Moon and his new band, Pierced Arrows.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

the pretty things - sf sorrow "trust"
all night long yesterday
this is a Song... one that makes things better
thanks redcloud
Last edited by Hofstadter on Thu May 16, 2013 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Hofstadter wrote:the pretty things - sf sorrow "trust"
all night long yesterday
this is a Song... one that makes thing better
thanks redcloud
:)

A song written in 1968 that I first heard in the mid 80's and it too touched me. Now, in 2013 it works its magic on you...an 18 year old growing up in the 21st century. A true timeless classic that only gets better and better with age.

Trust.

Indeed.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The Deviants - 'Ptooff!'
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

EARTH - HEX