What Are You Listening To Now?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

runaway
Known user

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

Post by runaway »

Sunn O))) & Boris - Altar
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah love a bit of Dungen. Tio Bitar is probably my favourite too, but Ta De Lungt gives it a run for its money.
they have gone a bit lighter and floatier recently, which I enjoy a bit less but still are good albums.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

TheWarmth wrote:Dungen are underrated, IMO. Also, 4 is great, but I think Tio Bitar is my favorite.
yeah love this one too....i remember boshing alot of mudma and listening to this constantly at a stag do in a cottage in wales years ago...good times!
Astrometry
New user

Post by Astrometry »

The new Besnard Lakes LP - brilliant. They've hit that sore Slowdive spot head-on, and some vocal parts are very much 80's Cocteau Twins. Wish they'd dare to turn up the reverb and noise now and then, though, but all in all a great record.

Melody's Echo Chamber. I like most things related to Kevin Parker, but this is probably the record I put on most often, more so than Tame Impala or Pond. The guitar part on "I Follow You" is on par with "Elephant". Beautiful stuff.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The Shivas - Freezing To Death
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Mark, is this from Mind Expansion? I seem to recall Randall talking about reissuing their stuff...
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

No - this is a Portland band that Redcloud saw live and liked before buying their album and recommending it to me. It's good catchy indie pop with nice twangy guitars and cool nasally vocals.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

My mix up...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

runcible wrote:The Shivas - Freezing To Death
runcible wrote:No - this is a Portland band that Redcloud saw live and liked before buying their album and recommending it to me. It's good catchy indie pop with nice twangy guitars and cool nasally vocals.
I would add that they also have a real "Nuggets" sound with lots of cool surf guitar. I really dig them. I think others on here will too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ADsQvsrn5k
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

...and recently noted as 'song of the day' on the Dock Ellis Facebook page!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Jethro Tull - "Stand Up", "Aqualung" and "Benefit".

For whatever reason, I woke up in a Tull mood. Currently blasting 'My God' and about to roll into 'Hymn 43' from "Aqualung". Sure, Anderson might be a bit of tosser but these three albums are really great from start to finish. They are also the only Tull albums one needs in their collection. Martin Barre was a totally underrated guitarist.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

The Stooges- Funhouse
Dream Syndicate- Days of Wine & Roses
Can - The Lost Tapes
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Pretenders - 1st album
Far heavier and more guitar orientated than people would expect.

Shack - Waterpistol
You know there are many bands I had so many opportunities to see live but they just passed me by at the time and I was blissfully unaware of the gems that sailed by. Shack are such a band. I remember them playing at the time and... I just didn't bother. Chuck in House of Love, Stone Roses, Rain Parade, Pussy Galore, Monster Magnet with John McBain... All easily available at the time yet I didn't go. Duh!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Big Star - Radio City / #1 Record (double vinyl)

Picked this up from a little local second hand furniture and vinyl shop on Friday after work along with "The Pscychedlic Sounds of The 13th Floor Elevators" (1988 reissued vinyl LP). This Big Star records plays better than pretty much all of the second hand vinyl I've ever bought. The chap who owns the shop had just splashed out buying up someone's old record collection and all the records were in near mint, practically unplayed condition. He'd only just picked up the records and hadn't even had a chance to start pricing them up, but I picked up those 2 records for £25 which I was pretty pleased with. He also had about 4 or 5 Nick Cave albums on vinyl which I never see going, even on eBay and the like, again in absolutely pristine condition. He was looking for £25 each for the Cave albums as he said he never gets his hands on any these days. I couldn't justify forking out any more cash but he's put "The Good Son" and "Henry's Dream" aside for me until I get paid next week. Going to offer him £40 for the pair. Think he also had "From Her To Eternity" and "Your Funeral....My Trial" along with one or 2 more, as well as 100's more LPs that I could spend a fortune on. He said it was very rare that he buys up a collection in this kind of condition.... I wonder how much he got it all for and how much he's going to make on it.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

runcible wrote: Shack - Waterpistol
You know there are many bands I had so many opportunities to see live but they just passed me by at the time and I was blissfully unaware of the gems that sailed by. Shack are such a band. I remember them playing at the time and... I just didn't bother.
I too really love 'Waterpistol'. One of the great lost albums of the 90's.

You know...maybe you did see them (unknowingly)? They supported Mercury Rev on their 'Deserter's Songs' tour (in the UK). I saw them both at the Astoria. It probably would have been around the time of Shack's 'HMS Fable' album? Did you see the Rev on this tour?
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Shinesalight wrote:He also had about 4 or 5 Nick Cave albums on vinyl which I never see going, even on eBay and the like, again in absolutely pristine condition. He was looking for £25 each for the Cave albums as he said he never gets his hands on any these days.
I bought a pretty rare album from '71 a few weeks back and paid $50 for it. First time I have ever seen an original press of the LP. I passed on it at first because it was $50. I woke up in the middle of the night kicking myself thinking I had better get it because the likelihood of ever seeing it again was slim. After convincing my wife of the importance of the album I went back down and bought it. Also, look at it this way...you will see 50-100 quid again before you see those Cave albums! Just a thought.

Saying that, I know next to nothing about Cave or those albums so have no idea what they are worth. This does seem a bit high to me. But, you will know better than I if it is a fair deal.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I saw the Rev twice of the deserters songs tour and Flaming Lips supported.
Shack are a great band in recorded form. Bang average live and Micks voice aint the best.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Aquarian-Time wrote:I saw the Rev twice of the deserters songs tour and Flaming Lips supported.
Shack are a great band in recorded form. Bang average live and Micks voice aint the best.
Weird. Definitely Shack who opened in London.

I don't remember Shack being average or the vocals being weak. The problem with them at that particular show was everybody was talking and very few were paying attention to them. They didn't command the respect they deserved because for whatever reason they were never promoted or pushed like so many of those other (inferior) bands were. A real shame because their songwriting was so much better than most of the shite that was pushed down our throats by the NME and Melody Maker.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I saw Shack way back in 2000. I was still quite young and naive about music, but just from pure luck I wandered into a tent at a festival and saw them followed by Elliot Smith- not bad going for random discoveries.
I've got HMS Fable which has some amazing melodies and songwriting, but is a bit bombastically produced. I also tried The Corner of Miles & Gil but that didn't grab me so much.
I have tried to get hold of Waterpistol but to no avail.. would anybody be able to help me out with that?
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

angelsighs...check your PM

'HMS Fable' is far inferior to 'Waterpistol'. My favorite song on it is 'The Streets of Kenny'. It's not a bad album but it is relegated to background music and it doesn't make me stop what I am doing and listen to it. To be fair though, I rarely even play it.

'Waterpistol', however, is one of those albums that you think "why the hell don't more people know about this record?" If it ('W'pistol') and the Strands album were Head's only gift to the world they would be more than enough.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I've been all over Waterpistol for the past few days, and all over the Strands album before that. Michael Head is one talented scouser.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

great to see people enjoying Shack & Mick Head , HMS Fable , Here`s Tom With The Weather & On The Corner all contain fantastic songs,arrangements and performances , no they don`t quite reach the highs off Waterpistol or The Strands albums but you`d be missing out on some fantastic stuff not to check them out ,
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

redcloud wrote:
Aquarian-Time wrote:I saw the Rev twice of the deserters songs tour and Flaming Lips supported.
Weird. Definitely Shack who opened in London.

I don't remember Shack being average or the vocals being weak. The problem with them at that particular show was everybody was talking and very few were paying attention to them. They didn't command the respect they deserved because for whatever reason they were never promoted or pushed like so many of those other (inferior) bands were. A real shame because their songwriting was so much better than most of the shite that was pushed down our throats by the NME and Melody Maker.
Aye - you mean like the Dandy Warhols? :wink:

Strangely enough, it was only because of a pretty big feature on Michael Head and the Magical World of The Strands album in the NME that I heard about it and ulimately checked it out. There was no way that would have happened if not for that article.

I saw the Deserter's Songs tour in 1999 and I can confirm (unfortunately) that the Flaming Lips were the only support. If a puppet show with a video of a man playing the drums counts as support, I dunno...
O P 8
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

NME went pretty much balls out on Shack and Michael Heads songwriting abilities around HMS Fable time as I remember,
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

BzaInSpace wrote:
Strangely enough, it was only because of a pretty big feature on Michael Head and the Magical World of The Strands album in the NME that I heard about it and ulimately checked it out. There was no way that would have happened if not for that article.

I saw the Deserter's Songs tour in 1999 and I can confirm (unfortunately) that the Flaming Lips were the only support. If a puppet show with a video of a man playing the drums counts as support, I dunno...
I first read about The Strands album in Time Out. Great review, which made me go out and buy it. I also trusted many of Time Outs journalists (at the time). They seemed to have their fingers on the pulse.

I found my ticket stub...Mercury Rev: 21st January, 1999 The Astoria. I'm also 100% positive it was Shack who opened in London. The Lips may have played their own London show that year then toured with Rev up north? I did see the Rev again in 2001 at the Electric Ballroom but my memory keeps telling me it was definitely Shack at the Astoria and the year coincides with release of 'HMS Fable'.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

The Tyde - Once, Twice and Three's Co albums... great little stroll down memory lane.

Fuzz - Live, Alex's Bar, Long Beach, CA 19th June 2013... another great show from Ty Segall's current project.

Arab Strap - Philophobia... just bloody genius!

San Francisco 's Shiver - S/T... great heavy psych rocker!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Busy day driving about. On the car stereo:
The Stems - At First Sight
Underworld - Second Toughest In The Infants
Brian Jonestown Massacre - Your Side of Our Story
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Laz69 wrote:
San Francisco 's Shiver - S/T... great heavy psych rocker!
Greasy meth amphetamine biker gang/band....glorious. I don't think they made much of a stir locally but this recording is certainly an interesting relic. I haven't played it for a while. Think I will put it on. :D
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

An odd mix of Lee Hazlewood, A Place To Bury Strangers and Janis Joplin...

It's working for me. Probably not everyone though.
and through wax seals and padlocks...a hand through my ribcage...past the choking I saw palms and fingers grasping shoulders...collarbone...crushing...I imagined myself hacking desperately at a sea of appendages...freeing myself like a butcher...
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

http://www.shacknet.co.uk/film/2012-mic ... -19-12-12/

a superbly recorded performance from Mick Head and his most recent band, The Red Elastic Band, showcasing some fantastic new songs and Shack classics , very promising,
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

a lot of my bloody valentine today (pretty much everything)
and i've been playing this record at least once a day for the past week or so-

grouper- 'the man who died in his boat'
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

The Litter - Emerge

Good record for doing some Saturday chores and housework.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I like Grouper a lot. Alien Observer and Dream Loss are incredible. I guess I need to check out that new one, which I understand is actually older material recorded around the time of Dragging a Dead Deer Up A Hill, correct?
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Eat Lights: Become Lights - Habitat 67
Arrived in the post today. Bloody good on first listen.

Roedelius / Schneider - Tiden
Minimalist krautrock/arty electro soundscapes with grand piano thrown in. Very interesting but rather sparse music. Brilliant stuff really.

The Orb and Lee Scratch Perry - More tales from the observatory
This is pretty poor, which was a surprise as the last Orb/LSP is great. 5 new tracks over sides A/B but in reality an e.p. rather than an album as it can't last for more than 25 minutes. The remixes on sides C and D are pretty poor, so I can't say I would recommend this to any but the hardcore fan (which I am not).
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

TheWarmth wrote:I like Grouper a lot. Alien Observer and Dream Loss are incredible. I guess I need to check out that new one, which I understand is actually older material recorded around the time of Dragging a Dead Deer Up A Hill, correct?
yes. i just got ahold of 'dragging a dead deer up a hill' but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. 'the man who died in his boat' is the first thing i've heard by grouper and i'm having a hard time not listening to it over and over again- going to have to check that other stuff out.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

It's really hot out here in the west! We did as much as we could in the morning and are now inside keeping cool.

I'm currently listening to: Tommy Bolin's first band, Zephyr. Their first album from 1969 is a hard rocking classic. Bolin's blazing guitar combined with Candy Givens' singing, which is like a combination of Janis Joplin, a wailing Tracy Nelson and Lydia Pense, makes this record superb from start to finish.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Eat Lights;Become Lights - Habitat '67

This has got to be up there with their best work. Really looking forward to the new album and to seeing them again in Brighton in the Autumn.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Brian Jonestown Massacre Your Side of Our Story - just found this on my iPod a week ago; don't know how or where I got it from and 99% sure I don't have it lying around on CD, but whilst I'm enjoying these slightly different versions for the 1st time (that I can recall) I wish I had more info about it; not even sure the tracks are in the right order as "Outro" isn't at the end, however I'm particularly loving this shorter version of "Here It Comes" - in this form it's a tie with "Servo" as my favourite BJM song ... the moral of the story: I should root around on my iPod more often for more hidden gems!

Moon Duo Mazes - listening in anticipation of their gig at the Cluny later this year, am very pleased they've decided to come further up north this time round :D

Love Comes in Colours - spurred on by recent discussion here, I decided to explore some of their early stuff for the first time in too long; bonus is after the "Forever Changes" tracks you get three amazing tracks of similar quality: "August" and the "Laughing Stock/Your Mind and We..." single (though compared to the "Forever Changes" tracks these 2 don't seem to have been mastered as well, and sound a bit too quiet). Very sorry to have lost the liner notes on this CD, as they are well written and full of good info about the band; I think the author writes for Rolling Stone and has written other long and comprehensive liner notes on other CD re-releases of similar period and genre material. For those who don't have Love or Da Capo this is a great way to get 14 of the best tracks from those two, plus the post FC tracks mentioned above all, on a single disc - released on the great Rhino label :!:

Spiritualized Live on Breezeblock 1998 - great live performances, better version of "Come Together" than the RAH, also the best quality version I have by far of the old arrangement of "I Am What I Am" but hearing it so clear makes me even happier Jason bided his time to record it, until over 10 years later when he came up with the far, far better SHSL arrangement; this version doesn't even sound like a Spiritualized song to me, but if I didn't know better I'd probably have assumed it was a cover, and an odd choice music-wise at that!
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Mogwai Fear Satan
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

mojo filters wrote:Brian Jonestown Massacre Your Side of Our Story - just found this on my iPod a week ago; don't know how or where I got it from and 99% sure I don't have it lying around on CD, but whilst I'm enjoying these slightly different versions for the 1st time (that I can recall) I wish I had more info about it; not even sure the tracks are in the right order as "Outro" isn't at the end, however I'm particularly loving this shorter version of "Here It Comes" - in this form it's a tie with "Servo" as my favourite BJM song ... the moral of the story: I should root around on my iPod more often for more hidden gems!
i don't know much about 'your side of our story' but i'm quite sure that it's a digital only release. i got ahold of it on the old bjm site. it's got a bunch of my favourites- 'swallowtail,' 'johnny marr is dead' and 'somewhere' (which i think has miranda lee richards singing). i love that 'here it comes' as well. as good as ed harcourt's vocal on that song is on ATIOM anton's version here is really emotionally raw and poignant.
if 'outro' is the second-to-last track on yours then that's the order i have it in as well. i always thought that was odd as well, but i think it's supposed to be like that.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Flying Saucer Attack S/T Lp. Found one of the originals today. Black & White foldover sleeve. Numbered. The whole shooting match.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

shalloboi wrote:
mojo filters wrote:Brian Jonestown Massacre Your Side of Our Story -
i don't know much about 'your side of our story' but i'm quite sure that it's a digital only release. i got ahold of it on the old bjm site. it's got a bunch of my favourites- 'swallowtail,' 'johnny marr is dead' and 'somewhere' (which i think has miranda lee richards singing). i love that 'here it comes' as well. as good as ed harcourt's vocal on that song is on ATIOM anton's version here is really emotionally raw and poignant.
if 'outro' is the second-to-last track on yours then that's the order i have it in as well. i always thought that was odd as well, but i think it's supposed to be like that.
I love "Somewhere" - especially the version from the '98 Peel Sessions. I don't have "Your Side of Our Story" though. Isn't it essentially alternate versions & outtakes?

Anybody willing to share?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

redcloud wrote:Anybody willing to share?
In your Dropbox dude...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

:D
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Screaming Trees - quite a bit but most recently 'Dust'. When I play the last 2 Trees albums I still scratch my head and wonder why they didn't make it big in the wake of Nirvana. I rate the best stuff on those records higher than Nevermind.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

runcible wrote:Screaming Trees - quite a bit but most recently 'Dust'. When I play the last 2 Trees albums I still scratch my head and wonder why they didn't make it big in the wake of Nirvana. I rate the best stuff on those records higher than Nevermind.
Absolutely! I am in 100% agreement with you!
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

redcloud wrote:
runcible wrote:Screaming Trees - quite a bit but most recently 'Dust'. When I play the last 2 Trees albums I still scratch my head and wonder why they didn't make it big in the wake of Nirvana. I rate the best stuff on those records higher than Nevermind.
Absolutely! I am in 100% agreement with you!
+ 1 8)
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Paris Angels — Perfume
Design.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Hills - Live

Superb Cardinal Fuzz release...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

The Soft Machine- Volume 1
I listen to this album a lot and it's still sounding fresh and revealing hidden depths. a classic in my opinion.
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Human Expression
Love at the psychedelic velocity

incredible 60s garage psych

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sCyyC6D4Kg
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Steve Masons set from Glastonbury at the weekend and very good it is ,hoping he plays a Scottish gig later this yr. he seems to have attracted a relatively sparse crowd from what I can see on the iplayer ,which is pretty disappointing considering the album he brought out this yr.is so good, he deserves better, still,
watched the PIL set before that ,(yes catching up ) , they were really good , that Lu Edmond on guitar is bloody superb!!
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Poltergeist LP (really good this from Will and Les from Bunnymen)
The Verve Live @ Hultrfred is on my cd player most days at the moment.
Sigur Ros-Kveikur ( real return to form this)
Kurt Vile both the lastvtwo albums on repeat, loving the vibe
Thee Oh Sees- Help
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Aquarian-Time wrote: Sigur Ros-Kveikur ( real return to form this)
Agreed! The stuff on the 10-inch that came with my copy of the album is really solid too.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

niamhm wrote: watched the PIL set before that ,(yes catching up ) , they were really good , that Lu Edmond on guitar is bloody superb!!
amen to that. I watched that whole set too. in an ideal world Keith Levene would be there but he was doing a great job. nice shimmering, trippy tone and the version of Public Image (the song) was great.
with the big beard he reminded me of Warren Ellis from the Dirty Three too :)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

These fine records have graced my turntable today:

The Green Pajamas - Book of Hours (LP, 1986)
The Litter - Emerge (LP, 1969)
Sopwith Camel - The Miraculous Hump Returns From The Moon (LP, 1973)
Autosalvage (LP, 1968)
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Ultrasound - I'll Show You Mine

A lost classic...
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Jon Hopkins- Immunity , some amazing electronic album , stunning really ,
Steve Mason - Monkey Minds In The Devils Time ,
Verve- Storm In Heaven,
Bob Dylan -Greatest Hits Vol.2
Hookworms -Pearl Mystic,
JakeCardigan
Known user

Post by JakeCardigan »

Quttinirpaaq - No Visitors - http://quttinirpaaq.bandcamp.com/
[url]http://adventuresinthesoundscape.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.mixcloud.com/adventuresinthesoundscape/[/url]
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Scotland The Brave!!!
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Reggae and nothing but. It's the only music for this sunny weather.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Plenty of RIDE
Design.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Eat Lights/Become Lights - the first two albums.
Wjoa. This stuff is wayyyyy cool. Wish I had listened sooner.

Sun Araw - Thrasher (Neil Young Cover)
Organ bubbling all over the place w/ some noodling + and background synthy textures setting the mood for the first few minutes until the fx'd vox singing those legendary lyrics come in fighting their way through the thicket of things going on in the song. i'm not your neil young expert so maybe for those of you more devoted than i you might not love this, but I really think it's great. it's a bit chaotic, but something feels really appropriate about that to me. feels like an epic 'play loud' and close your eyes type deal to me. really comes together in the last few minutes when some clarity is finally attained (made sweeter by the chaos), finally .
original for a movie that matt lessner (who did the 'in orbit' cassette with sun araw) directed. never saw it, came out a few years ago, but the thrasher cover just got put down on vinyl so i picked it up. the cover is nice too.

'galaxies and stars......'
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The Sun Araw cover of Teenage Fanclub's "December" is fantastic. Was the most recent album good? I didn't buy it, as I found Ancient Romans to be pretty dull.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Ditto Sun Araw's cover of TFC's "December"... superb cover. He did a full show playing Bandwagonesque.. i used to have that show somewhere...
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

The Ashes on 5Live Sport. C'mon the Aussies!! :wink: