What Are You Listening To Now?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

olan
Known user

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

Post by olan »

Laz69 wrote:Their new album Runci... and rather nice it is too! Very kindly received a promo copy from a friend in the US. Due out at the end of the month:

http://www.firerecords.com/site/index.p ... 0000001014

The opener is a big fat fuzzy swirling sludgey syrup of psych with the usual heady flute sounds!
Cheers Laz, I'll add that to the shopping list.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Hofstadter wrote:The Holydrug Couple - Noctuary

WOW!!! I am absolutely loving this right now. I like that Sacred Bones is getting the chilean stuff out there here in the states. This is beautiful I think...

Does anybody have any material by the Lucid Dream? They were mentioned in a thread in the gigs section w/ the holydrug couple (the guy from the band even popped on to say hello!). Would love to hear them.
totally agree- the Holydrug Couple album is superb! had it on again last night. it's like stepping into another world. I like how they have mixed the bass n drum grooves nice and punchy too.

I'd appreciate some pointers on the Lucid Dream too (perhaps from the man himself!), I very much enjoyed their live set
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Laz69 wrote:Bardo Pond - Peace On Venus
This is a great album. Possibly the best vocals Isobel has turned in coupled with some vicious guitar sounds.

Anyone else listening to Wooden Shjips 'Back To Land'? It's really good. The first two songs sound lighter, less effects heavy and with a jaunty spring in their step. Then it goes into more traditional Shjips territory. It's different but the same :? Check it out anyways.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

spzretent wrote:I raided the E's tonight:
The Early Years LP
The Engineers CD
Echo & The Bunnymen- Porcupine LP
These Were The Earlies CD
I don't know Echo & the Bunnymen, but your other three are some of my favourite Es :lol:

The Engineers eponymous debut in particular was an impressive and very promising album, backed up with solid live shows at generally tiny venues. But I was very disappointed with the follow-up Three Fact Fader - whilst the style and sound was very similar, the songs were nowhere close to those exceptional and exceptionally consistent tunes on their debut album. I so lost interest I don't even know if they're still around. I can't say I've noticed any live listings in the last 5+ years.

Nevertheless for those who haven't heard it, Engineers is a very underrated album worth checking out, Es or otherwise !
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Laz69 wrote: Light Heat - s/t (pointed out by Runcible... new album from former Mazarin man.. superb!)
The main man Mark has turned me onto this one today as well. Marvellous!! Onto my second listen now and it's a beauty. Musical flavours simmering away for me are Byrds, JAMC, Sleepy Jackson, Ultra Vivid Scene, 60's summery pop, whilst not really sounding too much like any of them. Great find and sure beats another album with (More) Light in the title this year, for now anyway, certainly more effortless.

Type Light Heat into Google and you'll end up with lists of White Light White Heat related links instead.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

johnnyboy wrote:
Laz69 wrote: Light Heat - s/t (pointed out by Runcible... new album from former Mazarin man.. superb!)
The main man Mark has turned me onto this one today as well. Marvellous!! Onto my second listen now and it's a beauty. Musical flavours simmering away for me are Byrds, JAMC, Sleepy Jackson, Ultra Vivid Scene, 60's summery pop, whilst not really sounding too much like any of them. Great find and sure beats another album with (More) Light in the title this year, for now anyway, certainly more effortless.

Type Light Heat into Google and you'll end up with lists of White Light White Heat related links instead.
Not sure if you are aware already, but this Light Heat album is from the former frontman of Mazarin, who had a very similar sound. I returned the favour to Mark by pointing him towards the three original Mazarin albums, which he has subsequently enjoyed. If you're not familiar with them, they are worth checking out... think you'll enjoy them if you like the Light Heat album.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

...been listening to those Mazarin albums for a few days now - highly recommended. I even found one on Discogs with a signed inner for under a tenner. Snapped it up in an instant.
jwilder
Known user

Post by jwilder »

Queued up for yet another soul crushing day in a cube.

Night Beats - Sonic Bloom : love the 60s garagey psych sound.
Novella - s/t and Murmers EPs : some catchy songs
Hinkley - Frail and Poker Faced EP : local band but without a local band sound, RIYL Superchunk and Neil Young
Cheatahs - Extended Plays : thought I would give it a try regardless of the reviews
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

.. bear with me here ..

STYX- COME SAIL AWAY

I was a kid when this was a radio hit.. it used to make me bristle

but now I think it's one of the best things ever put on a record
:oops: :twisted: 8)
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

well, ok,
not "one of the best" by a long shot .. at all.
but sometimes it sure hits the spot
like right now.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

mojo filters wrote:The Engineers eponymous debut in particular was an impressive and very promising album, backed up with solid live shows at generally tiny venues. But I was very disappointed with the follow-up Three Fact Fader - whilst the style and sound was very similar, the songs were nowhere close to those exceptional and exceptionally consistent tunes on their debut album. I so lost interest I don't even know if they're still around. I can't say I've noticed any live listings in the last 5+ years.

Nevertheless for those who haven't heard it, Engineers is a very underrated album worth checking out, Es or otherwise !
I agree with ALL of the above, but I will add that their 2004 EP, 'Folly', is also worth picking up. Their first full length (S/T) is absolutely stunning! One of those albums that make you stop what you are doing and LISTEN. Also, an album that is capable of bring tears to your eyes. Masterful, extremely emotional and powerful music from start to finish.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

redcloud wrote:
mojo filters wrote:The Engineers eponymous debut in particular was an impressive and very promising album, backed up with solid live shows at generally tiny venues. But I was very disappointed with the follow-up Three Fact Fader - whilst the style and sound was very similar, the songs were nowhere close to those exceptional and exceptionally consistent tunes on their debut album. I so lost interest I don't even know if they're still around. I can't say I've noticed any live listings in the last 5+ years.

I agree with ALL of the above, but I will add that their 2004 EP, 'Folly', is also worth picking up. Their first full length (S/T) is absolutely stunning! One of those albums that make you stop what you are doing and LISTEN. Also, an album that is capable of bring tears to your eyes. Masterful, extremely emotional and powerful music from start to finish.
Really? Wow. Got to be honest here and say I found Engineers to be incredibly dull and boring. I've never heard whatever it is other people seem to hear in them. I'd lump them in with the likes of Maps and Secret Machines, again, two bands that I just don't get the love for. Oh well....
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I agree, can't say I dig Engineers either. I happened to catch the very end of their live set once and was blown away by the swirling sound they got. however when I bought the album I found that song (One in Seven) was the only good one on there and the rest was very dull and bland.
I will stick up for Maps and Secret Machines though! both have done some shite but also some excellent stuff.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

sunray wrote: Really? Wow. Got to be honest here and say I found Engineers to be incredibly dull and boring. I've never heard whatever it is other people seem to hear in them.
I find their S/T release incredibly heart felt and pretty actually. Perhaps not what some folks are looking for around these parts. I am more a pop oriented fan than a heavy psych fan. I actually bought this by mistake, put it on, and was hooked from track one Home. A gorgeous track.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

sunray wrote: Really? Wow. Got to be honest here and say I found Engineers to be incredibly dull and boring. I've never heard whatever it is other people seem to hear in them. I'd lump them in with the likes of Maps and Secret Machines, again, two bands that I just don't get the love for. Oh well....
Wow. I can understand if somebody came to their second ('Three Fact Fader') and felt this but the first s/t record is incredible. Lyrically it is so powerful and the music so beautifully composed that all my other thoughts are gone and my total focus is on the album. It is one of those records where everything works, imho.

I don't know anything about the other two bands you list so can't comment.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Just picked up the vinyl reissues of the first three Boards of Canada LPs. That is my listening sorted for today!
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

redcloud wrote:

I'll second that, that first album is incredible!
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

olan wrote:Just picked up the vinyl reissues of the first three Boards of Canada LPs. That is my listening sorted for today!
pretty sure that came today for me as well , salted away for a Xmas present I think :) ,

Dead Meadow- Warble Womb, anything but an expert on these guys only really knowing Feathers ,which I like a lot, this sounding pretty good going to be a grower though, 15 tracks 75 mins. or something like that, but the first 6/7 tracks sound excellent , laid back stoner grooves,
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Engineers - different strokes eh?

Most recent listening is Teeth of the Sea - Master. Yet again a case of 'Don't Believe The Hype'. This album is not visionary, ground-breaking or a game changer. What it is is a reasonable listening experience with some really naff sounding guitar in parts, plus a little reminiscent of The Orb on one of the tunes. Some of it sounds like any second division crusty-techno act from the early-mid 90s. Nice trumpet on the last song though.
Maybe they really need to be experienced live as they do have a fierce live reputation. Then again, those who praise them in the live stakes tend to write glowing album reviews for them too. So maybe not. :?
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I7NeHqanks

Mystic Fiddle of the Proto-Gypsies
just can't stop grooving to this record
wonderful stuff
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

New Wooden Shjips album.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Hofstadter wrote:New Bardo Pond!!!

http://pitchfork.com/advance/267-peace-on-venus/

Its classic Bardo Pond. Brilliant!
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

good dope/good fun wrote:New Wooden Shjips album.
How does it sound? Better than previous albums? More of the same or have they embraced dubstep?

I've been thoroughly enjoying Lou Reed - Coney Island Baby. One of my fav albums I'd say, such a good vibe to it. The glory of love......
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

johnnyboy wrote: I've been thoroughly enjoying Lou Reed - Coney Island Baby. One of my fav albums I'd say, such a good vibe to it. The glory of love......
That's uncanny. I've had a week of 'binging' on Lou Reed - that's the only way to go, right? Started at the dirty pop of Transformer and worked out from there. Transformer still sounds great. The sound of the strings on that album are some of the best ever recorded - silvery and melancholic. Stunning.

Anyway,Coney Island Baby is bizarrely seen as one of the low-points of Lou's career - but I love it. It's a lost pop classic! Sure, it's not as heavy as Berlin or Metal Machine Music (what is?) but 'Sunday Morning' Lou is just as good as 'I Heard Her Call My Name' Lou.

Fuck it - you can have both!

Some of his 80s records are pretty great - Legendary Hearts, despite it's dreadful cover art, is ace.
O P 8
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

BzaInSpace wrote:
johnnyboy wrote: I've been thoroughly enjoying Lou Reed - Coney Island Baby. One of my fav albums I'd say, such a good vibe to it. The glory of love......
That's uncanny. I've had a week of 'binging' on Lou Reed - that's the only way to go, right? Started at the dirty pop of Transformer and worked out from there. Transformer still sounds great. The sound of the strings on that album are some of the best ever recorded - silvery and melancholic. Stunning.

Anyway,Coney Island Baby is bizarrely seen as one of the low-points of Lou's career - but I love it. It's a lost pop classic! Sure, it's not as heavy as Berlin or Metal Machine Music (what is?) but 'Sunday Morning' Lou is just as good as 'I Heard Her Call My Name' Lou.

Fuck it - you can have both!

Some of his 80s records are pretty great - Legendary Hearts, despite it's dreadful cover art, is ace.
Indeed. I love Coney Island Baby a great deal. He was at a low ebb financially and critically at that point having just had the highs of Transformer followed by the lows of Metal Machine Music, seen as a bit down and out and fucked up too. Coney Island Baby was his go at re-connecting and what a way to do it. Can't believe it was seen as an almost sell out/cop out at the time. I think it's a beautiful album, witty in places (Gift) , dark in others (Kicks) and the title track is a gentle stunner. Really love She's My Best Friend too. Not a bad track on it at all I don't think. I was reading some good write ups on it yesterday at work whilst listening to it.

http://blogcritics.org/glory-of-love-lou-reed-and/ (I like her thoughts on the meaning of the title track here as they mirror my own)
http://www.popmatters.com/review/lou-re ... land-baby/
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/947 ... land-baby/

For me it's my favourite solo Lou Redd album, closely followed, if not head to head with Transformer, then Berlin and New York. I like bits and pieces of his 80's work, nicely compiled on the Between Thought & Expression 3 disc boxset, which I won through a magazine comp years and years ago.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

johnnyboy wrote:
BzaInSpace wrote:
johnnyboy wrote: She's My Best Friend too. Not a bad track on it at all I don't think. I was reading some good write ups on it yesterday at work whilst listening to it.
i never really liked the tracks that were on VU and then were 'reinvented' (with the exception of stephanie says which became caroline says #2- that song always makes me cry). despite the claims that the VU record was a FU record to the record company lou didn't half mine it later on (it's my third favorite vu record after nico and wlwh)

ooo favorite lou reed solo albums

new york
berlin
animal serrenade
transformer
the raven
hudsen river wind meditations
metal machine music
magic and loss

i went to a 200 times newspaper members q&a session with mick rock and lou reed to promote mick rock's new book of photos of lou reed 'transformer'

http://www.mickrock.com/lou-reed-and-mi ... lable-now/

afterwards there was time for a few questions. lou a'd my q 8)

he looks even cooler now in his slippers :D
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

and some hq lou reed 70-80s bootlegs i just found- soundboard recordings. there are 4. i'm d/ling the first one atm so cannot testify to them...

http://soundaboard.blogspot.co.uk/searc ... Lou%20Reed
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

No love for Sally Can't Dance?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Country Joe & The Fish- Electric Music for the Mind and Body
this album is brilliant, quite psychedelic but with a folk/rootsy base in there too. there's some jaunty songs that could almost be the Byrds but also some baroque trippy pieces with organ and piercing guitar. love it
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

I have to agree with the Coney Island Baby love being expressed here - it's a wonderful album. I'm a huge fan of Lou Reed's solo career, and I'm still missing quite a few of his albums. I find The Bells particularly compelling - so despairing and haunted in places - and Ecstasy is late-career classic. Reed's obsession with the perfect guitar tone really comes to fruition here. I also have to give Lou Reed & Metallica's Lulu a shout-out as well; never has an album been so ignorantly and unfairly pilloried, IMHO. Sure, I completely understand that it's not at all to everyone's taste, but the endless procession of 0/10 and 1/10 reviews were just ridiculous - I doubt many of the critics even listened to it the whole way through...
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

angelsighs wrote:Country Joe & The Fish- Electric Music for the Mind and Body
this album is brilliant, quite psychedelic but with a folk/rootsy base in there too. there's some jaunty songs that could almost be the Byrds but also some baroque trippy pieces with organ and piercing guitar. love it
Their second album, "I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die", is great, too. I transferred my original, mono copy if you're interested. Redcloud turned me on to them.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

TheWarmth wrote:
Their second album, "I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die", is great, too.
Agreed. In many respects it ("Fixin' To Die") may actually be the better of the two. There's very strong songwriting on it and, like the first LP, it too has some intense moments of psychedelia. These first two Fish albums are easily the most lysergic of the top-tier 60's Bay Area bands and are totally essential for any psych collection.

Their third LP, "Together", has its moments but it loses much cred when it descends into parody and goofy filler tunes. The fourth album, "Here We Are Again", also has its moments, especially with some of Joe McDonald's songwriting but it is overly produced with strings and brass, which brings it down. The fifth, "CJ Fish", only has Joe McDonald and Barry Melton from original line-up but it actually has some pretty cool songs that are very much of their time (eg. lots of hippie "peace"/"love" and "lets make a baby" lyrics) but, it's actually not a bad album. That said, these latter records are really for completists only.

There was also a "reunion" record in '77 but I would avoid it. Joe McDonald also has numerous solo records but again, these are very much for the completists.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Fleetwood Mac - Jams (1968-1970)

Great collection of blues jams from Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac that reach epic proportions at times. The 25 minute versions of Rattlesnake Shake and the relatively unknown "Madge Session #1" are just phenomenally groovy guitar freakouts. This will forever be the real Fleetwood Mac for me.

Daddy Long Legs - Evil Eye On You

Fuzzed up blues in the vein of Jon Spencer or The Soledad Brothers, but much wilder and energetic. Fabulous harmonica playing on this. Playing Glasgow soon, and thinking they might have a helluva live show.

Earthless - From The Ages

Superb new album from Earthless. I was kinda worried that this would maybe a little "same-y" to their previous releases or there would be too many similarities between their songs, but didn't have to worry about that. Four superb new songs that just sound amazing. Last track clocks in at over just over 30mins and it doesn't feel labourious in the slightest. Solo-tastic. Isaiah Mitchell really is one of the most impressive guitarists i've hear in recent years.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

redcloud wrote:
TheWarmth wrote:
Their second album, "I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die", is great, too.
Agreed. In many respects it ("Fixin' To Die") may actually be the better of the two. There's very strong songwriting on it and, like the first LP, it too has some intense moments of psychedelia. These first two Fish albums are easily the most lysergic of the top-tier 60's Bay Area bands and are totally essential for any psych collection.

Their third LP, "Together", has its moments but it loses much cred when it descends into parody and goofy filler tunes. The fourth album, "Here We Are Again", also has its moments, especially with some of Joe McDonald's songwriting but it is overly produced with strings and brass, which brings it down. The fifth, "CJ Fish", only has Joe McDonald and Barry Melton from original line-up but it actually has some pretty cool songs that are very much of their time (eg. lots of hippie "peace"/"love" and "lets make a baby" lyrics) but, it's actually not a bad album. That said, these latter records are really for completists only.

There was also a "reunion" record in '77 but I would avoid it. Joe McDonald also has numerous solo records but again, these are very much for the completists.
yeah I think it was redcloud mentioning it on here that brought them to my attention too! I'm really enjoying the album. it's a really nice reissue too- both mono & stereo versions and a chunky booklet with lots of notes. I've not listened to the mono version yet so might give that a go tonight.

I guess I should try the second album next and work chronologically?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Laz69 wrote:Fleetwood Mac - Jams (1968-1970)

Earthless - From The Ages

Superb new album from Earthless. I was kinda worried that this would maybe a little "same-y" to their previous releases or there would be too many similarities between their songs, but didn't have to worry about that. Four superb new songs that just sound amazing. Last track clocks in at over just over 30mins and it doesn't feel labourious in the slightest. Solo-tastic. Isaiah Mitchell really is one of the most impressive guitarists i've hear in recent years.
FM Jams - been over at tripjam again eh Laz? :wink:

First listen I had to the Earthless album I was slightly worried. It seemed to be a bit more rock than psych and the production appeared a little different. Have listened since and I think that maybe I wasn't entirely in the mood for it first time around.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

sunray wrote:
FM Jams - been over at tripjam again eh Laz? :wink:
Always worth a look :D
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Major Lazer - Free The Universe.

This album is incredible - it's sort of life changing really. Put it this way, I play music every day on my commute in the car and been going through heaps of old and new stuff (glad I have stacks of CDs after all now) - most albums will get one play, maybe a return play if they're really good.

This one has been on for fucking days...

Completely bonkers digital dancehall/heavy R&B/dubbed out pop/twisted reggae madness. At times it sounds like a condensed amalgamation of all the best bits of say, the Prodigy, but with sense of humour intact and a deep, dirty and sexy undertow. So not really like the Prodigy at all then...

The production is just something else - busy mixes but spacious and not airless, massive bass sound with bizarre high end noise to balance it out. The faster dance-centric tracks have the most amazing build-ups and stuff - it sounds awesome driving and makes you feel epic. Love it!

Here is a... 'taster'(?!) - I should warn you that this is probably NSFW, definitely not for the 'faint of heart' and completely insane: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgm55FxBMWg

:shock:

The weirdest thing of all is that I look at the sleeve listing all the guests featured on this and it sounds like it would be the worst thing in the world: Bruno Mars, Shaggy, Wyclef... even some twit from Vampire Weekend and yet! It's fucking amazing...
O P 8
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

BzaInSpace wrote:Major Lazer - Free The Universe.

This album is incredible - it's sort of life changing really. Put it this way, I play music every day on my commute in the car and been going through heaps of old and new stuff (glad I have stacks of CDs after all now) - most albums will get one play, maybe a return play if they're really good.

This one has been on for fucking days...

Completely bonkers digital dancehall/heavy R&B/dubbed out pop/twisted reggae madness. At times it sounds like a condensed amalgamation of all the best bits of say, the Prodigy, but with sense of humour intact and a deep, dirty and sexy undertow. So not really like the Prodigy at all then...

The production is just something else - busy mixes but spacious and not airless, massive bass sound with bizarre high end noise to balance it out. The faster dance-centric tracks have the most amazing build-ups and stuff - it sounds awesome driving and makes you feel epic. Love it!

Here is a... 'taster'(?!) - I should warn you that this is probably NSFW, definitely not for the 'faint of heart' and completely insane: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgm55FxBMWg

:shock:

The weirdest thing of all is that I look at the sleeve listing all the guests featured on this and it sounds like it would be the worst thing in the world: Bruno Mars, Shaggy, Wyclef... even some twit from Vampire Weekend and yet! It's fucking amazing...
Thanks for the tip, I'm gonna check this mother out!

Other than that I have been listening to loads of mad Joe Meek nonsense
hazey
Known user

Post by hazey »

really liking that new Earthless as well.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Just put on:-

Black Hearted Brother - Stars Are Our Home

Lovely sounding record. I've always loved Neil Halstead's vocals and this record certainly doesn't disappoint.
olan wrote:Just picked up the vinyl reissues of the first three Boards of Canada LPs. That is my listening sorted for today!
Olan, wouldn't mind whacking one of these down on this year's Xmas wish list...what would you say would be the best one to get?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

This week it's going to VU and Lou all week...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Magic - 'Enclosed' (woke up wanting to hear some crisp acid guitars ala Quicksilver or early Crazy Horse).
Green Pajamas - 'November'
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

The Beatles- Abbey Road.
pretty certain this is my fave Beatles album. it's refined, mature (couple of obvious songs aside) record and wonderfully produced.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Shinesalight wrote:Just put on:-

Black Hearted Brother - Stars Are Our Home

Lovely sounding record. I've always loved Neil Halstead's vocals and this record certainly doesn't disappoint.
Olan, wouldn't mind whacking one of these down on this year's Xmas wish list...what would you say would be the best one to get?
Sorry, just saw this. I am not sure I can answer that! I like them all for different reasons. I guess the first LP and the most recent LP are my favourites, but you really can't go wrong with any of them.

On a separate note, I bought the new Black Hearted Brother and White Mana LPs today, so they, along with 5 Slipstream LPs sourced from Discogs for buttons, will be my listening for tonight.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

angelsighs wrote:The Beatles- Abbey Road.
pretty certain this is my fave Beatles album. it's refined, mature (couple of obvious songs aside) record and wonderfully produced.
I`ll give that a big thumbs up , The Beatles album I listen to most recently-last 5 yrs. or so-,

White Hills -So You Are, So You`ll Be , like this album a lot ... love the sound these 2/now 3 people can dig out , ploughing your own field indeed,
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

13th Floor Elevators- Contact Sessions
13th Floor Elevators- Live in SF on LSD
Best of Pharaoh Sanders
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Suzi Quatro - Quatro (Bell 1313) 1974
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

on to Catch Bull At Four by Cat Stevens (LP) 1972
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Picked up some good stuff today. Listening to:

Rodriquez - Cold Fact
I've never seen that documentary on him, but recently heard someone talking about his music and it seemed like something I would be into so I thought I'd take a chance on it. I'm completely blown away. It's an incredible album. Definitely going to pick up the second. Anyone else listening to his music?

Los Saicos - complete discography
I saw a documentary on them on YouTube and really enjoyed it. Got the album today and the sticker on it says they make The Sonics seem like Simon and Garfunkel. That's a stretch. People say they were the first punk band. They couldn't play their instruments well and there's lots of screaming about destroying things (in Spanish), but there are some love songs on here too. All talks 'fathers of punk' discussions aside, it's just great garage rock. Reminds me of The Trashmen a lot. I know it's on Spotify too, so check it out if you haven't.

The Vagrants - I can't make a friend
Just good ol' American garage rock. "Oh Those Eyes" is such a great song.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

olan wrote:I bought the new Black Hearted Brother and White Mana LPs today, so they, along with 5 Slipstream LPs sourced from Discogs for buttons, will be my listening for tonight.
Really like the Black Hearted Brother LP at first lisen. It is beautifully recorded and contains some fantastic songwriting. Opening with an instrumental piece is a nice idea and kind of sets the mood for the record. There are some really nices drones and textures on the LP and some quite prodigious bass tones. On the downside, there are a few not-so-hot tunes on the LP which cause it to plod a bit at times. But on the whole it is a very,very good LP. There are moments when that chiming swirling treated guitar kicks in, it approachs momentary perfection (I know that sound like an entry for Pseud's corner but is it very hard to describe).

The White Mana LP is OK. I'll work on it, but it was not as immediate as previous outings.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote: 13th Floor Elevators- Live in SF on LSD
Is this the Avalon '66 show on Lysergic records or is it another title for the same show?
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Spiritualized - Amazing Grace

Halfway through my first listen in a very long time. Not that I disliked it to begin with, but it's much better than I remember. "Hold On" and "Oh Baby" are just gorgeous, although I'm not sure the album needs "Never Goin' Back" - it's not a bad song at all, but it doesn't do anything the first two tracks haven't already covered. Looking forward to reacquainting myself with the second half...
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

a real muddle at the moment....i have been reacquainting myself with the Byrds and Lovin Spoonful via some lovely mono reissues from japan, the last Eluvium album 'nightmare ending, the new Tim Hecker 'virgins', Destruction Unit - 'deep trip' and the live Caribou album 'caribou vibration ensemble' which is wonderful when the drums kick in.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

redcloud wrote:
spzretent wrote: 13th Floor Elevators- Live in SF on LSD
Is this the Avalon '66 show on Lysergic records or is it another title for the same show?
It is the one from the Music Of The Spheres vinyl box.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

J Spaceman - Ellnora Guitar Festival 2013-09

Enthralling stuff :)
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The Soft Pack : The Soft Pack - this album is awesome. Totally high energy. Great hooks. Raw tones, but not lo-fi. Great record.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Cave Triple Header.
HLD/J
P^2
I guess their album titles lend themselves well to weird abbreviations.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

TheWarmth wrote:The Soft Pack : The Soft Pack - this album is awesome. Totally high energy. Great hooks. Raw tones, but not lo-fi. Great record.
they are great live too...they all looked about 14 when i saw then touring this album a couple of years ago. interesting stood up drumming too.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

spunder wrote:
TheWarmth wrote:The Soft Pack : The Soft Pack - this album is awesome. Totally high energy. Great hooks. Raw tones, but not lo-fi. Great record.
they are great live too...they all looked about 14 when i saw then touring this album a couple of years ago. interesting stood up drumming too.
I saw them earlier this year and they were terrific, even playing to a small crowd. Drummer Brian now sits - he stood at the first show I saw a couple of years ago - as he said his back couldn't take the strain of drumming while standing up!
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Before they were the Soft Pack... the Muslims! Coverin' Walkin w/ Jesus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmF0j6_EIFE
The A-side of that single is parasites. Prettty sweet.

I think they used to cover Losing Touch w/ My Mind when they would play as the Muslims? Toomilk put on a show they played at in San Diego I think and they covered it there... wish there was a recording of that.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Hofstadter wrote:Before they were the Soft Pack... the Muslims! Coverin' Walkin w/ Jesus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmF0j6_EIFE
The A-side of that single is parasites. Prettty sweet.
Yeah! I have that 7"! Love their version of WWJ. love their debut also, but their second album not so much, sounded a bit too slick for my taste.
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

beaker73 wrote:love their debut also, but their second album not so much, sounded a bit too slick for my taste.
Spot on. The 2nd had a couple of mainstreamish tracks on it although it has its moments. My other half almost melted when they played Mexico in Leeds earlier this year. I love that song too - kind of different to the rest.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Black Bombaim - Saturdays & Space Travels
Fuzz - Fuzz
Los Tentakills - We Have Levitation
Naam - Naam
Sula Bassana - Dreamer
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Totally obsessed by The Velvet Underground's 'Ocean' this week - such a perfect track. No idea how many times I've listened to it - had it on repeat while driving at the weekend...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUQ9tmwup2Q
O P 8
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

Still on a Lou Reed tip too. I've been listening to Rock And Roll Animal /Lou Reed Live. The intro to Sweet Jane always makes me smile.

Sent by my droid using Tapatalk.
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.