What Are You Listening To Now?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

spunder
Known user

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

Post by spunder »

Destruction Unit - 'deep trip'

whoa! this blew out the cobwebs on my walk to work this AM.....fantastic heavy psych.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

the new wooden shjips album showed up in the mail today, so i've got it on the turntable right now while i upload some new songs. it sounds very bright and a bit bluesier to me. the acoustic track that was previewed is a pretty good indicator.
BzaInSpace wrote:Totally obsessed by The Velvet Underground's 'Ocean' this week - such a perfect track. No idea how many times I've listened to it - had it on repeat while driving at the weekend...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUQ9tmwup2Q
i got obsessed with that track again too- the one i always think of is the one that opens the second disc of the 'live with lou reed' set from 1969-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUYuTiYzvFc

one of those songs where i heard a live version first. the studio versions of it are both really nice too. i'm still on a lou reed kick too- been listening to the dr's comp.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Laz69 wrote:Black Bombaim - Saturdays & Space Travels
Fuzz - Fuzz
Los Tentakills - We Have Levitation
Naam - Naam
Sula Bassana - Dreamer
Fuzz- Fuzz , also , side 1 ripping out my speakers just now , sounds superb, some crazy loud bass sounds...
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

BzaInSpace wrote:Totally obsessed by The Velvet Underground's 'Ocean' this week - such a perfect track. No idea how many times I've listened to it - had it on repeat while driving at the weekend...
Man, this song has been stuck in my head for the past few days. Earlier in the week I had listened to the "1969" lp (from the Sundazed box set) and every morning since then I've woken up with this song in my head. Powerful stuff!
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

niamhm wrote:
Laz69 wrote:Black Bombaim - Saturdays & Space Travels
Fuzz - Fuzz
Naam - Naam
Sula Bassana - Dreamer
Fuzz- Fuzz , also , side 1 ripping out my speakers just now , sounds superb, some crazy loud bass sounds...
I've been enjoying that Fuzz LP too.
White Manna - Dune Worship is the other LP I have been listening to a lot recently. Their debut was one of my favourite albums last year, this is even better.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

The Mandrake Memorial - S/T ('67), "Medium" ('68), & "Puzzle" ('69) - easily among the most intriguing bands/albums I own. Albums that I have often gone back to and always hear something new. Tremendous but a shame they are now long forgotten except by collectors.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

1970-
The recent Moondance remaster and (Jethro Tull) Benefit remaster. Both sound incredible.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Musiccargo - Harmonie

WHOA. Listening to this for the first time right now... Really cool. I would say it's pretty close to Eat Lights Become Lights in Sunrise at Marwar Junction mode - sort of stripped down, slowly progressing, but still synthy and chrome plated. There are some weeeird german vox on a lot of the tracks. The second song slowly unfolds over its 8 length with a steady beat that def. feels like it would good to be dancing to... weird guttural synths come in and out, metallic/sparkly texture floats around, some very subtle guitar stuff happening... really cool. I've only heard snippets of their last record but that has a lot more of an italo/house influence running throughout it. Last track on this album has a very cluster feeling. Super cool stuff. If anybody wants a listen and can't find it, PM me.
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Hofstadter wrote:Musiccargo - Harmonie

WHOA. Listening to this for the first time right now... Really cool. I would say it's pretty close to Eat Lights Become Lights in Sunrise at Marwar Junction mode - sort of stripped down, slowly progressing, but still synthy and chrome plated. There are some weeeird german vox on a lot of the tracks. The second song slowly unfolds over its 8 length with a steady beat that def. feels like it would good to be dancing to... weird guttural synths come in and out, metallic/sparkly texture floats around, some very subtle guitar stuff happening... really cool. I've only heard snippets of their last record but that has a lot more of an italo/house influence running throughout it. Last track on this album has a very cluster feeling. Super cool stuff. If anybody wants a listen and can't find it, PM me.

Had a few listens to the 2 tracks on youtube which was enough for me to go and purchase the cd off piccadillyrecords
Really nice stuff and oddly enough around the time I first read your post I received an email from the Kosmiche Laufer boys mentioning they were posting out the goods at long last for http://www.kosmischerlaufer.com/ :D
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

On the turntable recently was the new LP fromm White Denim- Corsicana Lemonade. More chilled than previous outings but no less impressive. Live they are unreal
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Aquarian-Time wrote:White Denim- Corsicana Lemonade. More chilled than previous outings but no less impressive. Live they are unreal
These guys are coming to Portland in early February. I know nothing about them. Tell me more.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Øresund Space Collective – Live at Roadburn 2010 on the Spacerock Productions Label

Speculative buy from Probe in Liverpool hoping for some sonic fireworks. I bought it on strength of the cover art and picures of dudes armed with wah-wah peddles and moogs etc. Not bad, a bunch of long spaced out funky-ish jams, but with hindsight the bloke with the Wizard Hat and huge beard (Dr Space - for it is he!) in the cover art was a better guide guide for what to expect. I don't expect this to get regular plays here....
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Finally got a cop of the Factory Floor album...

Okay so it's really cool. I like it a lot, thoroughly enjoyed listening to it... It fucking MOVES. It sounds great. I'd love to see them live. I'd love to be working with whatever gear they have... the element of slow evolution is really really entrancing. The rhythms are great, especially hearing them slowly morph subtly as the envelope on oscillator slowly changes or a filter opens and closes creating a sort of second order rhythm... Just the sort of thing I love. I can't wait to play this song on the radio, but... that's sort of it? I don't know when I'll ever listen to this after a week or two passes. There are definitely some really epic tracks on it, and I can totally see myself getting super excited at a venue and hearing Any of the songs on it coming through the PA between bands to dance to or at a dance night at a venue or something, cause yeah, this stuff is super fun to move to but... yeah I'm just not sure when I'll ever really take the time to put this on ya know? I was super excited to finally get it, especially after listening to some of the tracks on youtube soooo much, but... right now I just sort of find myself wondering why? Feels like something that will just sit on the shelf forever, get played on the radio once or twice, and that's it. Definitely not bad or anything... Maybe I'll make it my "get shit done, time to clean the dormroom/write an essay" album or something.

I'm curious as to what the other people on the board who picked up are feeling about it now that you've been able to spend more time with it since you first got it.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Redcloud

White Denim are a mixed bag 2 guitars, bass and drums. Technically they are all outstanding, There chemistry on stage is a sight to behold. Musically it welds Rock, Psych (loosely), Jazz, all together without ever really being able to pigeonhole which style the music really is. The last album D was the one that brought them some more media attention, the new one is a little more laid back but in a good way, still plenty of get instrumental interludes and his voice is decent as well.. When we saw them live last year, there were mouths open at the stuff they were coming out with. I left the venue gob smacked. Cant wait to see them next week
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Deep and dirty blues today...

Daddy Long Legs - Evil Eye On You
Jonny Halifax & The Howling Truth - The Bestial Floor

I came across Daddy Long Legs recently and really loved their high energy, fuzzed blues. They played Glasgow last week and my brother went along to see them. He said they were incredible live and had some of the best best blues harmonica playing he's ever seen live. My brother had a chat and some drinks with them afterwards and then bid them farewell.
My brother went down to London to see the Pastels last Friday night after which he made a quick taxi journey across London to see them again at the Shackwell Arms - cue much astonishment and suprise when my brother started talking to them at the merch stall. Another fabulous show by them by all accounts.
Jonny Halifax was one of the support bands for the Shackwell Arms show above and these guys (just the 2 of them) really impressed my brother too. One guy on a Fender Jaguar while the other played a lapsteel with a rack of pedals attached. Really dirty, dirty blues. Sounds great. My brother bought their album on the strength of it and its sounds really good. I imagine they could be REALLY loud when they play live.

Anyways, i think a few people here might dig both of these bands...

Daddy Long Legs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmPSPfpLoPM

Jonny Halifax & The Howling Truth
https://soundcloud.com/#the-howling-truth
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Currently revisiting The Beta Band in anticipation of the arrival of the Steve Mason Monkey Minds record.
'Remember, change is not good'
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Hofstadter wrote:Finally got a cop of the Factory Floor album...
Listened to it twice in September... and that's it really. I found it a little disappointing to be honest, but I think that was probably down to the fact that i'd seen them live just a few weeks previously and thought they were great. The album just didn't have the same impact.
I'd like to point out that they've taken a massive leap forward in the live arena over the course of the past year. Far more together with the added bonus of some really nice visuals.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Hofstadter wrote:Finally got a cop of the Factory Floor album...

Okay so it's really cool. I like it a lot, thoroughly enjoyed listening to it... It fucking MOVES. It sounds great. I'd love to see them live. I'd love to be working with whatever gear they have... the element of slow evolution is really really entrancing. The rhythms are great, especially hearing them slowly morph subtly as the envelope on oscillator slowly changes or a filter opens and closes creating a sort of second order rhythm... Just the sort of thing I love. I can't wait to play this song on the radio, but... that's sort of it? I don't know when I'll ever listen to this after a week or two passes. There are definitely some really epic tracks on it, and I can totally see myself getting super excited at a venue and hearing Any of the songs on it coming through the PA between bands to dance to or at a dance night at a venue or something, cause yeah, this stuff is super fun to move to but... yeah I'm just not sure when I'll ever really take the time to put this on ya know? I was super excited to finally get it, especially after listening to some of the tracks on youtube soooo much, but... right now I just sort of find myself wondering why? Feels like something that will just sit on the shelf forever, get played on the radio once or twice, and that's it. Definitely not bad or anything... Maybe I'll make it my "get shit done, time to clean the dormroom/write an essay" album or something.

I'm curious as to what the other people on the board who picked up are feeling about it now that you've been able to spend more time with it since you first got it.
hmmmm interesting...was thinking about getting hold of this....maybe I wont bother...?

just discovered The Oscillation, really enjoying their last 3 albums....some of it has a very Syd Floyd in freakout vibe to it.....I have also, embarrassingly, been listening to 'misplaced childhood' by Marillion well loud in the motor...loved it as a pre-pubescent, although it does make me feel a bit Alan Partridge :-D
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I like the Factory Floor album a lot. It didn't disappoint me. The bonus tracks, which are long versions of the three short interlude songs from the album, are also great and worth tracking down.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

opal- 'early recordings'
all of the my bloody valentine i have- which now, with the third album, is a formidable task.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

listenend to a stream of Cave - Threace today! Love it! Popped by the local record store today to buy the vinyl. Alas, they didn't have it. Ordered it though and should be spinning it by saturday 8)
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Jefferson Airplane - Volunteers
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

New Fast Automatic Daffodils - Body Exit Mind
such a brilliant album! any love for the new fads here?
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

beaker73 wrote:New Fast Automatic Daffodils - Body Exit Mind
Their "Pigeonhole" album has always been a guilty pleasure of mine!
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Laz69 wrote:
Their "Pigeonhole" album has always been a guilty pleasure of mine!
Don't feel guilty about it, that album is a classic!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Absolutely. Listened to it for the first time in years during our sunny summer. Most enjoyable.
I remember seeing them in the early 90s whilst on a particularly fine microdot. Good times :D

"Oh I could get a good job if I tried but what's the point?"
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Nancy & Lee: "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" Phew. Stellar.
hazey
Known user

Post by hazey »

Just loving that Black Hearted Brother 2LP; fav Halstead release in some time! Also just picked up new lps by Wooden Shjips and Earthless.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Wooden Shjips- Back To Land , 2nd listen since the deluxe vinyl came yesterday, it looks amazing , and sounds to my ears ... fantastic, just had to put track 3 Ghould back to hear it again, very JAMC but more Shjipsy, love it , some amazing tracks here, it IS their most accomplished work to date, but its not Prog.Rock by any means, still a steady development in their work, :D
nogoodboyo
Known user

Post by nogoodboyo »

D-E-V-O
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

lou reed - street hassle

i never really gave this album much time beyond the obviously amazing title track

its grown to be my favorite solo album i think

its so druggy and decadent and funny.. it reminds me what i liked so much about iggy pop's the idiot in a way

i think spacemen 3 really liked the version of "real good time together" on here.. with that shimmering, wavy guitar
jayray
Known user

Post by jayray »

Om - "Adviatic Songs"
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Neil Young & Crazy Horse: Psychedelic Pill
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Galaxie 500- Uncollected
Flying Saucer Attack- Further
Yo La Tengo- Popular Songs
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Swans - The Seer
Ginger - 555%
Pulp - Separations
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Phantasia - I Talk To The Moon
The Mandrake Memorial - Medium
Blues Image - Open

Ahhhh...it's Friday.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

BVCP206 wrote:Currently revisiting The Beta Band in anticipation of the arrival of the Steve Mason Monkey Minds record.
Had vinyl a couple of days and got to say this is a brilliant record, instantly hooked, my record of the year so far :D
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Day drinking and listening to Queen's Hot Space, which I'm sure if a huge favorite amongst the good people of this board!
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

The Orb & David Gilmour - Metallic Spheres

A great combination of musical minds :)
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

mc wrote:The Orb & David Gilmour - Metallic Spheres

A great combination of musical minds :)
Ah, I totally want to hear this!
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

It's well worth it. It's no token appearance from Dave either - he co-wrote all the tracks, his guitar is everywhere (and utterly gorgeous at times) and he even provides some vocals too. Very enjoyable stuff.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Heh heh, "day drinking and listening to Queen's Hot Space". That sounds fantastic.

(still listening to the new Mazzy Star, beside the fire)
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

mc wrote:It's well worth it. It's no token appearance from Dave either - he co-wrote all the tracks, his guitar is everywhere (and utterly gorgeous at times) and he even provides some vocals too. Very enjoyable stuff.
My significant other, who is filipino, has a term for whenever I put on space rock, most classic rock, blues rock, folk rock, country rock, and ambient: white people music. Not saying that's a bad thing, but it seems apt for this album. Gilmour's first solo album has been so described, on more than one occasion.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Spiritualized- St Andrews Hall August 9, 1997 Soundboard. Some of these old show are incredible. Its been a long time since I listened to these.
Simply amazing!
A heavy dose of Psychic Ills also.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

spzretent wrote: A heavy dose of Psychic Ills also.
I binged last night on the Ills cause of show on Tuesday - <3 Electric Life and Another Day Another Night from Dins so much. The improvy interludes are so good too.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

one of my co-worker's put the new psychic ills on earlier- i hadn't heard it yet and thought it was pretty good. i figured it had made up most of their set when i saw them open for mazzy star earlier in the week. they sounded really good live this time- completely different from the other two times i saw them (once in 2006 and the other in 2007).
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Finally got my hands on ELBL's Modular Living thru DER --- mmmm fantastic. Felt very stunned and awed by Rowley Way Overlook-->Los Feliz to Griffith - beautiful duo... Los Feliz to Griffith was making me homesick because of the title (two areas of LA that I have spent a lot of time in) - can't wait to be in a car driving around LA listening to Modular Living, and particularly listening to those two songs.

I did not realize until this week when I got the Heavy Electrics/Modular Living/the deep distance 12" that lots of the material was recorded/worked on in LA also, I did not realize at all that the ELBL albums were partially recorded in Los Angeles, I had always just assumed everything was totally english... pretty cool, makes me excited for the possibility of some Eat Lights Become Lights shows in LA. The insert for Heavy Electrics actually has a photo of some good LA sprawl on it. I figure Rowley Way Overlook is probably something in London - can anybody here speak to it?
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Random selection of stuff for today's working hours...

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
New Fads - Pigeonhole
Julian Cope - Jehovahkill
Dead Skeletons - Dead Magick
Bardo Pond - Peace On Venus
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

Miles Davis - The Original Mono Recordings.
9 CDs to go at and looking forward to it immensely. Genius! :D

Low - The Invisible Way
Thought I'd better have a listen before the gig tomorrow.
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

QOTSA- LullabiesTo Paralyze,
Daniel Avery- Drone Logic,
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

niamhm wrote:QOTSA- LullabiesTo Paralyze,
Daniel Avery- Drone Logic,
There's a 3 hour Daniel Avery Boiler Room mix available on Soundcloud.

Opens with Von Haze and then straight into Fuxa. Tremendous stuff.

The James Holden LP also recommended if you haven't got it.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Wooden Shjips - Back To Land
The Icarus Line - Slave Vows
Lots of Mazarin
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

runcible wrote:Wooden Shjips - Back To Land
Is it any good? I paid Thrill Jockey for the limited edition, but it still hasn't shown up despite them posting it on 8 November. :cry: :cry: :cry: I am still avoiding streams, downloads and radio playback to hear it 'fresh'.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Luna - Bewitched
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

listening to this mix i made on mixcloud-
http://www.mixcloud.com/shalloboi/diary ... ic-bummer/

it's a little heavy on the 90s nostalgia (there is even a smashing pumpkins song on there) but i'm happier with this than i've been with a lot of the mixes i've been making lately...
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

olan wrote:
runcible wrote:Wooden Shjips - Back To Land
Is it any good? I paid Thrill Jockey for the limited edition, but it still hasn't shown up despite them posting it on 8 November. :cry: :cry: :cry: I am still avoiding streams, downloads and radio playback to hear it 'fresh'.
If you want a new direction for the Shjips you'll be disappointed. But if you want part 3 of their catalogue you'll smile. It's like the other stuff. But I love the other stuff so I think it's great!

Got mine from Piccadilly - I think Thrill Jockey's P+P charges are outrageous!
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

5 discs worth of the Monterey Pop festival...finally located!

plus, Jefferson Airplane 'takes off' and some Airplane boots from '66, Electric Music For Mind and Body in glorious Mono and some mono Simon and Garfunkel....starting to have my Summer of Love obsession that happens every couple of years.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

runcible wrote:Got mine from Piccadilly - I think Thrill Jockey's P+P charges are outrageous!
I generated an estimate today to ship a 2xLP set to the UK and it came out to $22.35.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Superchunk - I Hate Music
Steve Mason - Monkey Minds In The Devils Time
The Bride Of Frankenstein movie soundtrack - Frank Waxman (yes you read that right loving the horror soundtrack thing that's going on at the moment so many gorgeous releases) :D
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Mike Watt - Ball-Hog or Tugboat?
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

cant believe i have never heard this before : The Byrds, Avalon Ballroom 1968

mind = blown!
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Liminanas new album is an absolute treat, so thats had some play. Also been warming up for ATP so Slint, Comet on Fire and Ty Segall have all had some air time, next up will be Mogwai, Neu, White Fence and Loop

Also havent heard much if anything from Shellac and Superchunk or OM (not sure why) so will be surfing the net this week to get fully prepared for their audio visual treats
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Fallen Angels:
Album: A long way down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i3XKhRCEFo

Ivan Shmagge: A walk in the woods
https://soundcloud.com/colonelgatito/01 ... woods-with
nogoodboyo
Known user

Post by nogoodboyo »

Yardbirds.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I'm currently listening to: Stephen Stills - "2"
Hedspace wrote:Fallen Angels:
Album: A long way down
This is a great album and it is the better of the two FA records. There is a live set from that was also recently put out.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Chris Robinson Brotherhood - Betty's S.F. Blends, Volume One, 4 lps on red and white marbled vinyl, lovely package and sounds great