What Are You Listening To Now?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

mc
Known user

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

Post by mc »

Untitled #4 - The Twilight Sad

an unreleased song taken from the forthcoming "Fourteen Autumns & Fifteen Winters" reissue...

https://soundcloud.com/fatcatrecords/un ... -1/s-zB8uh
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

mc wrote:Untitled #4 - The Twilight Sad

an unreleased song taken from the forthcoming "Fourteen Autumns & Fifteen Winters" reissue...

:)
bit gutted that this reissue is only on vinyl!
are you going to any of the 'Fourteen Autumns..' gigs?
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

angelsighs wrote:

Me too, but if I can get hold of a copy I'll be buying it for sure. Fingers crossed for a download code...

I went to the second Glasgow "Fourteen Autumns" gig just before Xmas, and it was absolutely astonishing. James' voice just slays me live, the band was on wonderful form and they did some really interesting readings of the rarely-played songs. And the last encore was "Three Seconds Of Dead Air", which made my year! You're in for quite the treat if you're going to one of the forthcoming gigs :)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

mc wrote:
angelsighs wrote:

Me too, but if I can get hold of a copy I'll be buying it for sure. Fingers crossed for a download code...

I went to the second Glasgow "Fourteen Autumns" gig just before Xmas, and it was absolutely astonishing. James' voice just slays me live, the band was on wonderful form and they did some really interesting readings of the rarely-played songs. And the last encore was "Three Seconds Of Dead Air", which made my year! You're in for quite the treat if you're going to one of the forthcoming gigs :)
yup got a ticket for the Manchester date, can't wait! will be interesting to see how they do the more abstract tracks like 'Here It Never Rained', and the title track!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

angelsighs wrote:been checking out the s/t album by Dino Valente. I know him as the sometimes singer of Quicksilver Messenger Service. here he's more in folk troubadour mode.. quite 60's sounding. I am enjoying it.. this fella can sing.

I actually prefer QMS without Dino. The first two LP's and the live stuff, especially in '68 where they hit their peak, are superb and so much more crisp, fluid and packed with muscle. Once Dino got out of jail and returned to the band their sound changed dramatically. To be honest, I have also always struggled with his voice.

For a brilliant loner acid folk album check out the amazing Perry Leopold album. Originals are ridiculously expensive as he only privately pressed a handful and gave most of them away on street corners but it has been reissued brilliantly by Guersen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLn732t4qrE
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Black Submarine - new shores.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

redcloud wrote:
angelsighs wrote:been checking out the s/t album by Dino Valente. I know him as the sometimes singer of Quicksilver Messenger Service. here he's more in folk troubadour mode.. quite 60's sounding. I am enjoying it.. this fella can sing.

I actually prefer QMS without Dino. The first two LP's and the live stuff, especially in '68 where they hit their peak, are superb and so much more crisp, fluid and packed with muscle. Once Dino got out of jail and returned to the band their sound changed dramatically. To be honest, I have also always struggled with his voice.

For a brilliant loner acid folk album check out the amazing Perry Leopold album. Originals are ridiculously expensive as he only privately pressed a handful and gave most of them away on street corners but it has been reissued brilliantly by Guersen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLn732t4qrE
I actually really like Dino's voice. I do agree that it didn't really fit QMS though. and also it kind of tethered them down a bit.

just listening to that Perry Leopold song.. very nice! 'loner acid folk' is a genre I definitely want to investigate further. there's something about a crystalline acoustic guitar and troubadour-ish vocal that gets me. plus I often need something to cleanse my palate after listening to heavy or noisy music.. and I find modern singer songwriters totally lacking in substance.

another 'acid folk' rarity I was reading about recently was Damon- Song of a Gypsy. apparently very few copies pressed originally. then became a bit of a 'lost classic'. recently reissued. however I'm not really feeling it. some of the fuzzy guitar tones are nice but finding it a bit too melodramatic. plus the sleeve is awful!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV4lSgESGXc

I think sometimes these things can become 'lost classics' just by virtue of rarity, but the reality is not that great..
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

olan wrote: To be very honest, the album is the least interesting of their efforts IMHO. The early stuff which is really just a bunch of portastudio feedback manipulations is far more interesting/original. I do really enjoy the bass guitar and drum sounds on this album. I'm a sucker for brooding, descending, basslines and sparse tribal drumming.
same here.. Explosions in the Sky are one of my favourite bands (I know people complain they are a bit samey but people such as Wooden Shjips seem to get a free pass for that..) and my fave Mogwai album may just be Cody. so you do the math :)
which of the early Sora Shima stuff do you recommend?
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

angelsighs wrote:
another 'acid folk' rarity I was reading about recently was Damon- Song of a Gypsy. apparently very few copies pressed originally. then became a bit of a 'lost classic'. recently reissued. however I'm not really feeling it. some of the fuzzy guitar tones are nice but finding it a bit too melodramatic. plus the sleeve is awful!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV4lSgESGXc

I think sometimes these things can become 'lost classics' just by virtue of rarity, but the reality is not that great..
Angelsighs, "Song of a Gypsy" is an awesome album! Originals of this are also way out of most people's price range but again, Guerson put this out and did a beautiful job with art/thick gatefold textured sleeve, 180gm vinyl etc. I think they were ltd. ed. at the time of reissue so even it might be pricey. I have both these albums (Leopold & Damon) on both LP & CD. If you want send me a PM and I can hook you up with mp3.

Also, while not 60's but still well worth checking out are Bobb Trimble's albums, which were recorded in the 80's but sound as if they could have been recorded in '68-72. Elliott Smith was clearly inspired by the Trimble records.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

spunder wrote:Black Submarine - new shores.
What? Where? Seems to me that it's about time for them to send out a digital copy to everyone who pre-ordered way back in October of 2013. Fucking hell.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

I followed the Pitchfork link to Spz+Kid Millions on Soundcloud and then left it running, and fell upon this:
https://soundcloud.com/solar-motel-band ... 09-13-2013

which I'm liking a lot on a first listen! A quick search showed me a couple of yous having Chris Forsyth - Solar Motel in their 2013 quick albums, but I don't think it was much talked about.
This live recording is absolutely fab, mostly instrumental, it's not especially heavy, but guitar-driven psych or whatever you want to call it :) It really should appeal to quite a few people posting here.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

White Hills- Live At Roadburn 2011, not sure if this their whole set but I`m loving it anyway,
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Rev Brown, that first song, especially. Damn!
http://youtu.be/HvjdecN9Uno
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Can't stop listening to the Mississippi space program song... so frigging pretty :) Also been listening to the cut copy cover too since it's in a sort of similar vein. Does anybody have a digital copy of the "bay of pigs" song from the mexican summer booklet? There's an excerpt of it here
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

TheWarmth wrote:
What? Where? Seems to me that it's about time for them to send out a digital copy to everyone who pre-ordered way back in October of 2013. Fucking hell.
Let's just say putting a few keywords together in google got me a free copy....I have pledged for the deluxe edition so don't feel to bad about it. It hasn't knocked me out yet but it does seem to be slowly working its magic.....it is rather too polished for my liking and Jonesy is mixed far too low for much of it and there is no real rock n roll to it but....... there are some real moments of beauty. I think it might sit at home on Kompact or ECM for some reason
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

The Aliens- Luna LP. This vinyl sounds absolutely superb. I have to remind myself a few times a year.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Stonedutch
Known user

Post by Stonedutch »

"Where I stand is only three miles from space ..."
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

spzretent wrote:The Aliens- Luna LP. This vinyl sounds absolutely superb. I have to remind myself a few times a year.
Nice one! I shall have to give this a listen tonight now that you have reminded me about it. Astronomy for Dogs is excellent too!
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Eight Rounds Rapid, a Southend-On-Sea four piece who supported Wilko Johnson on his farewell tour last year. His son plays guitar, similar style and they do have a Dr Feelgood vibe but more punky and Wire like at times. I saw them play my local on Saturday night and was transfixed. Great video for their song Channel Swimmer filmed on the seafront here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mWQEIClYpk, been playing it a lot along with their 7" Writeabout / Steve. Really exciting band.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

redcloud wrote:
Angelsighs, "Song of a Gypsy" is an awesome album! Originals of this are also way out of most people's price range but again, Guerson put this out and did a beautiful job with art/thick gatefold textured sleeve, 180gm vinyl etc. I think they were ltd. ed. at the time of reissue so even it might be pricey.
okay, maybe I'll give it another try! my expectations may have been raised too much by the hype about a lost classic!
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

spunder wrote:
TheWarmth wrote:
Let's just say putting a few keywords together in google got me a free copy....I have pledged for the deluxe edition so don't feel to bad about it. It hasn't knocked me out yet but it does seem to be slowly working its magic.....it is rather too polished for my liking and Jonesy is mixed far too low for much of it and there is no real rock n roll to it but....... there are some real moments of beauty. I think it might sit at home on Kompact or ECM for some reason
Individual tracks up on youtube as well.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

A.R. Kane "i" LP.
I used to get so upset when my employees would play this all the time in the shop. Its been at least 20 years since I listened to it and it sounds pretty damn good right now. Maybe now I am ready for it. Not so otherworldly anymore.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Monster Magnet - TAB 25 :shock:
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Prince's Chaos & Disorder.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

The Masters Apprentices - "Choice Cuts".

Brilliant album from start to finish but, side A, in particular, is phenomenal. Early 70's heavy rock at its best and most delicious!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Captain Beyond - s/t (1972)

Re-discovering this one and it sounds better than ever.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

reading Alice Echols bio of Janis Joplin which has successfully led me to become obsessed with her *swoon* and Big Brother and the Holding Co....so it's them nonstop at the mo...Great White Guru on the Lost Tapes and Hall of the Mountain King (visuals on youtube) are amongst the awesomeness i am enjoying...never appreciated how amp shreddingly heavy they were before....
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Carlton Melton- Four Eyes, man I love this mini LP/12" ,
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Julian Cope - Autogeddon
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

niamhm wrote:Carlton Melton- Four Eyes, man I love this mini LP/12" ,
Had this on yesterday too.... superb!
mc wrote:Julian Cope - Autogeddon
This has got to be one of his most under-rated albums ever. The wonderful S.T.A.R.C.A.R. is just sublime! 8)

Forgot to add my listenings when i added this post:

Carlton Melton - Photos of Photos (never tire listening to this)
Cush - Various (my favourite new band)
Mercury Rev - Yerself Is Steam/Lego My Ego (stone cold classic!)
Eat Lights Become Lights - Autopia (rekindling my love for motorik!)
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Laz69 wrote:
niamhm wrote:Carlton Melton- Four Eyes, man I love this mini LP/12" ,
Had this on yesterday too.... superb!
mc wrote:Julian Cope - Autogeddon
This has got to be one of his most under-rated albums ever. The wonderful S.T.A.R.C.A.R. is just sublime! 8)
Absolutely! There are so many gems in his catalogue it's hard to know where to start. I'm listening to "Odin" right now, and I fancy a bit of "Black Sheep" afterwards...
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Compiled a list of Boo Radley's tracks for a friend of mine while reminiscing about things... makes a really nice little playlist.

The Finest Kiss
Losing It (Song For Abigail)
Leaves & Sand
Butterfly McQueen
Lazarus (12" version)
Don't Take Your Gun To Town
What's In The Box (See What You Got)
C'Mon Kids
Bench AT Belvidere
Room At The Top
Wallpaper
Ride The Tiger
Get On The Bus
Paradise
Wilder

Easily one of my all time favourite bands. Their consistency and diversity always astounded me and Martin Carr is a massively under-rated guitarist. Some of the sounds and tones he produced were just incredible, not to forget his formidable song writing abilities.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Laz69 wrote:Compiled a list of Boo Radley's tracks for a friend of mine while reminiscing about things... makes a really nice little playlist.

The Finest Kiss
Losing It (Song For Abigail)
Leaves & Sand
Butterfly McQueen
Lazarus (12" version)
Don't Take Your Gun To Town
What's In The Box (See What You Got)
C'Mon Kids
Bench AT Belvidere
Room At The Top
Wallpaper
Ride The Tiger
Get On The Bus
Paradise
Wilder

Easily one of my all time favourite bands. Their consistency and diversity always astounded me and Martin Carr is a massively under-rated guitarist. Some of the sounds and tones he produced were just incredible, not to forget his formidable song writing abilities.
Interesting list....Everything's Alright Forever is an astonishing record....so so so underrated. The guitars on that are monsterous. I sort of lost interest after that album, although that Lazarus EP is pretty amaze...
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Love the boo radleys, giant step is a masterpiece.
The one song i'm missing from your list is 'martin, doom it's seven o'clock', love that song :wink:
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Ah Laz...how could you leave out Barney and Me? I'd have put Kaleidoscope and Catweazle in there too :)
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Haha... so many great tracks to choose from, i know, but i just had to go with what i had to hand.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I've just finished my first listen to Tomorrow's Hits by The Men. It is their first LP recorded in a studio, but still keeping very much to the lo-fi ethic. My initial impression is that it is a really very good record indeed.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

The Chambers Brothers - "New Generation"

One of the best soul rock albums recorded? Possibly. Perfect for a Sunday afternoon. Great album art too!
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

For those who were into Kosmischer Laufer, there's a second LP coming out. First two tracks here -

Really really liking the 10 minute one a lot.

Also, listening to the new Cult of Dom Keller album now after posting a thread about it... seems pretty rad so far.
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

Earth
The Bees Made Money...
Heavy Tourism
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

Roky Erickson
Love To See You Bleed

Swordfish Records 1992
along with the other Swordfish comp which i always call Cold Night... this is as good as i've heard for 1980s tracks
Heavy Tourism
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

The Heads: At Last on blue vinyl courtesy of a Mr J. Cope via eBay. It is very, very loud here at the moment 8)
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

'pure phase'- it's always the perfect soundtrack to an awful commute. After working a full day near a college on the weekend before st. Patrick's day I need all the zoned-out bliss I can get...
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream
Dean Wareham - S/T

Both of these are perfect sunny Sunday morning records when you've been woken up early :D
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Shinesalight wrote:War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream
Dean Wareham - S/T

Both of these are perfect sunny Sunday morning records when you've been woken up early :D
Never bothered listening to War On Drugs before this album , but I`m finding a lot to like in Lost In The Dream this weekend, great album.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

niamhm wrote:
Shinesalight wrote:War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream
Dean Wareham - S/T

Never bothered listening to War On Drugs before this album , but I`m finding a lot to like in Lost In The Dream this weekend, great album.
i think it's fantastic - much prefer the production this time around and the songs seem stronger too, esp 'red eyes' and 'an ocean in between the waves'. not to sound too much like an old man but it's nice to hear the lyrics this time too ;)

the dean wareham album is great. can't get over how good holding pattern is...
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Babybird- Bad Shave
Field Mice- Snowball
Stooges- Fun House
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

The War On Drugs - Lost In The Dream

Just put it on for the first time; halfway through track 1 just now and enjoying it a lot. I've been looking forward to this for a while :)
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Lots of Jazz Butcher just now. Guy's back catalogue is really impressive, but some songs are just outstanding!

(featuring the one and only Sonic Boom on feedback guitar!)

redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Zephyr - Sunset Ride (1972)

Tommy Bolin had departed by the time they recorded this LP so, it is often overlooked. But, Candy Givens' voice is at its most controlled and the rest of the musicians are equally top notch.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Working my way thru the Fall catalogue this weekend. Have lots of catching up to do - only got this far so far:
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

runaway wrote:Working my way thru the Fall catalogue this weekend. Have lots of catching up to do - only got this far so far..
I'll be interested to hear what you think of it. I remember the first time i heard that. after all the hype about them being some life-changing band and that probably being their best album... i remember hating it :lol:
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Oh, I've liked it for years but it is not my favorite. I like This Nation's Saving Grace and the other "Brix-era" albums the most.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

My absolutely favourite Fall Album. Lay of Land is an total killer....

I hope the feckin' image thing works!
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

runaway wrote:Oh, I've liked it for years but it is not my favorite. I like This Nation's Saving Grace and the other "Brix-era" albums the most.
interesting...i think i need to give these a go then. To be honest i think Hex just sort of put me off them at the time, though it sounds much better to me now. I'll check out wonderful and frightening world album too. cheers for the recommendations - there's too many Fall albums to choose from!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

moop wrote:
runaway wrote:Oh, I've liked it for years but it is not my favorite. I like This Nation's Saving Grace and the other "Brix-era" albums the most.
interesting...i think i need to give these a go then. To be honest i think Hex just sort of put me off them at the time, though it sounds much better to me now. I'll check out wonderful and frightening world album too. cheers for the recommendations - there's too many Fall albums to choose from!
+1 for This Nation's Saving Grace. IIRC that is the one with Gut of the Quantifier on it. Careful with chasing The Fall back catalog though, there are millions of LPs and compilations to get. Out of the whole back catalog, the Peel Sessions box is probably the most played item. It is fantastic and features a wonderful tune called 'Australians in Europe' which I still use to wind my other half up with 20-odd years later (she is a shackle-dragger).
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Juan Trip'
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

the peel sessions is like the quintessential fall experience to me

the songs are broken up in chunks of 4 or so, so it can be easier to digest by listening to a session at a time.. lets be honest mark e. smith can be tough after long periods of time

also it covers most of their eras so you get a good sampling of everything

and most of the performances simply outclass the album versions
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

The Fall were flawless during their Kamera years:
Lie Dream of a Casino Soul 7"
Hex Enduction Hour
Look, Know 7"
Room to Live

Their first go with Rough Trade is also fantastic:
Grotesque
Slates 10"

Most of their early albums have been released in extended editions which are flawlessly packaged and presented. Great writeups on the band at that point in time, press snippets, pictures, and will include essential tracks surrounding each particular album.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Just remembered that I had (and still have somewhere) a copy of Room To Live on white vinyl from back when I still had a turntable. Need to get another turntable...
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

O P 8
nogoodboyo
Known user

Post by nogoodboyo »

Bert Jansch - Fresh as a Sweet Sunday Morning
Band of Joy - For What It's worth
Jackson c Frank - Blues Run The Game
Yes I stayed in and watched the tv last night.
Must get out more or less
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

runaway wrote:Judee Sill - Heart Food
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

nogoodboyo wrote:Bert Jansch - Fresh as a Sweet Sunday Morning
Band of Joy - For What It's worth
Jackson c Frank - Blues Run The Game
Yes I stayed in and watched the tv last night.
Must get out more or less
same here. was a great doc on Planty, I love that he has just dabbled in different genres since Zep rather then trading off their name.
the Bert Jansch thing was good too, although I thought it would be more of a documentary than a concert film.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Kaleidoscope - Side Trips
Kaleidoscope - A Beacon From Mars
Kaleidoscope - Incredible

I go back to these records periodically and am always blown away by them. What a phenomenal band. I honestly cannot think of any band before nor since that was/is as eclectic, creative or talented as this band.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Cabaret Voltaire Archive 828285 Live

CD box of 3 gigs, 2 in 1982 and one in 1985. Superb stuff. I saw them play in 1982 (32 years ago :shock: ). Sic transit gloria mundi and all that sort of thing.....