What Are You Listening To Now?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

runaway
Known user

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

Post by runaway »

ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Guy Wysman wrote:Who is the author?
Hi Guy, and welcome to the forum!
it's Neil Young, when he was Younger
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Dylan Howe - Subterranean: New Designs On Bowie's Berlin

http://dylanhowe.bandcamp.com/album/sub ... ies-berlin

Really interesting project and well worth a listen/purchase. I know Dylan locally to me in Essex and he's a lovely guy but hadn't really heard him play before but this is great jazz.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

A selection of artists I've been playing this year can be found at http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... qYBOYC-9ay
It's 8 tracks only...
It all seems to sound a bit post apocalyptic...

B,
S

Note: If you do find yourself liking the couple slower strains of techno present in the playlist I recommend you also give this a listen http://boomkat.com/downloads/1024633-va ... dominators
Its probably one of the better 14 Tracks put together by Boomkat

:)
Shoulders back, smash it
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

my glorious sunny walk to work this morning was soundtracked with this: http://albumsthatneverwere.blogspot.co. ... menes.html

its a really clever/ great invented studio reproduction of the 'man and the journey' gigs. (nearly) all my fave late '60's Floyd in one handy mix.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

my ipod crashed again, so i bought a new one.

while i'm waiting for it to arrive in the mail the only thing i've been listening to has been-

wye oak- 'shriek'

i caught the kate bush cover that they did ('running up that hill') and it really pulled me in and now i'm finding it really difficult to stop listening to 'shriek' on repeat. it was the only album i bothered to put on my soon-to-be-useless ipod when i had to restore it for the second time this week.
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

60s surf garage throwbacks abound these days ..some good a lot not so good.
this is spirited stuff indeed

Artist: Mystic Braves
Album: Desert Island

prelisten stream beam here >
http://mysticbraves.bandcamp.com/album/desert-island
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

The Cosmic Dead - EasterFaust

Saw these guys on Thursday night down here in Brighton and they blew my mind. Picked this up on vinyl from the merch stall after the show:-

www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
spaceman85
Known user

Post by spaceman85 »

the rolling stones-let it bleed
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Durutti Column: Chronicle XL.

The new and yet old a the same time Durutti Column album arrived today. A rough mix was released in limited number several years ago. This is superior and the extra bits are excellent in places. Nice artwork and package too.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

I heard the first 3 Slowdive EP's recently and they made me weep.
23-24 years ago these were released!
Have downloaded tonight
Where's the Kleenex...

B,
S
Shoulders back, smash it
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

searching for a Thee Oh Sees album to listen to in while im in work. stumbled on this.
David Holmes BloodShot comp
"Inspired by one of the greatest rock'n'roll shows I've ever seen, 'Thee Ooh Sees' at the Black Box in Belfast on sun may 5th. I was meant to play a bunch of these tunes but because i only got to spin for 30/40 minutes so a bunch of these fine platters slipped thru the cracks. Hope y'all dig it as much as i enjoyed compiling & mixing it." - David Holmes.
It's a rip-roaring journey through some of the ruffest and rawest modern (and not so modern) Garage, Pshyche, Freakbeat and Rock N' Roll with tracks from the likes of The Black Angels, Jean Pierre Mirouze, Moon Duo, Goat, Wooden Shjips and Loop. Heavy.

http://www.mixcloud.com/Tourist/blood-s ... id-holmes/
spaceman85
Known user

Post by spaceman85 »

Lusine-Arterial
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

olan wrote:Durutti Column: Chronicle XL.

The new and yet old a the same time Durutti Column album arrived today. A rough mix was released in limited number several years ago. This is superior and the extra bits are excellent in places. Nice artwork and package too.
my copy of this arrived yesterday, very nice package it is too! the maps are a bit silly though.
looking forward to putting some time aside for a listen. I didn't realise how different it is to the limited 2011 release (just comparing the tracklists)
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote:

my copy of this arrived yesterday, very nice package it is too! the maps are a bit silly though.
looking forward to putting some time aside for a listen. I didn't realise how different it is to the limited 2011 release (just comparing the tracklists)
You can't really do this by comparing the tracklists. So, via the magic of cut and paste, here are the differences related to disc 1:

A bunch of the tracks have simply been been retitled, but are otherwise identical. So going CXL title (orig Chron title) we have:

Embattled Heart and Rattling (Emptiness)
Poppy and Pancho (Ananda)
The Rest of a Life (No More Close to Me)
Nine Years (Someone Got Away)
To Raise a Gentle Smile (Resolution)
Pancho and Poppy (Accord)

The Water Colour Class is simply Anguish of the Text Message from the original CD, but is shorter by about 30 seconds on Chronicle XL. I don't understand the need for this edit, but neither is central to the album. (Pancho was VR's nickname for what it is worth. Poppy is his ex....)

Fanfare and Synergetic are identical on both releases. Party (The Version), Mello, Mercy in the Cathedral and Fanfare Reprise are new on Chronicle XL. Some of these are reworking of old tunes (yet again).

Ordinarily, I would own up to being a total dweeb for knowing this, but I've hardly listened to Chronicle, let alone Chronicle XL. I cut and paste the information from an email from Mike Mitchell on the Durutti Column list. He obviously needs to get out a bit more these days...... :lol:
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Father john misty - fear fun
West coast Topanga Canyon magic. Solo album for the drummer for the fleet foxes. Whoa... Come back :wink:
Seriously killer album!! Heard on a David Holmes mix. Validation...

Connan Mockasin - Forever Dolphin Love
Loved 'it's choade my dear' and finally picked up the album after the spaceman mix. Messed up psych madness. I have a feeling it's going to be a grower.

Exile - off the back of BZA's thread given it a few plays in the sun and man does it sound good.

Fred Neil - cocaine

Philamore Lincoln - the north wind blew south.
Don't really know what genre this is? It just sounds so good. Check it out
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

olan wrote:
angelsighs wrote:

You can't really do this by comparing the tracklists. So, via the magic of cut and paste, here are the differences related to disc 1:

A bunch of the tracks have simply been been retitled, but are otherwise identical. So going CXL title (orig Chron title) we have:

Embattled Heart and Rattling (Emptiness)
Poppy and Pancho (Ananda)
The Rest of a Life (No More Close to Me)
Nine Years (Someone Got Away)
To Raise a Gentle Smile (Resolution)
Pancho and Poppy (Accord)

The Water Colour Class is simply Anguish of the Text Message from the original CD, but is shorter by about 30 seconds on Chronicle XL. I don't understand the need for this edit, but neither is central to the album. (Pancho was VR's nickname for what it is worth. Poppy is his ex....)

Fanfare and Synergetic are identical on both releases. Party (The Version), Mello, Mercy in the Cathedral and Fanfare Reprise are new on Chronicle XL. Some of these are reworking of old tunes (yet again).

Ordinarily, I would own up to being a total dweeb for knowing this, but I've hardly listened to Chronicle, let alone Chronicle XL. I cut and paste the information from an email from Mike Mitchell on the Durutti Column list. He obviously needs to get out a bit more these days...... :lol:
ah the old switcheroo.. I should have known! thanks for the info
spaceman85
Known user

Post by spaceman85 »

the austerity program-song 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

simonkeeping wrote:Father john misty - fear fun
West coast Topanga Canyon magic. Solo album for the drummer for the fleet foxes. Whoa... Come back :wink:
Seriously killer album!! Heard on a David Holmes mix. Validation...

Connan Mockasin - Forever Dolphin Love
Loved 'it's choade my dear' and finally picked up the album after the spaceman mix. Messed up psych madness. I have a feeling it's going to be a grower.

Exile - off the back of BZA's thread given it a few plays in the sun and man does it sound good.

Fred Neil - cocaine

Philamore Lincoln - the north wind blew south.
Don't really know what genre this is? It just sounds so good. Check it out
Nice picks Simon. Still need to listen to that Spaceman mix. Lots on at the moment... I made it as far as the Cher & Spector track and lost it completely. Immense stuff.

Anyway, any chance of a re-up of the David Holmes mix? Or anyone?

Assuming you mean this one posted a bit back by Hedspace:
Hedspace wrote:searching for a Thee Oh Sees album to listen to in while im in work. stumbled on this.
David Holmes BloodShot comp
"Inspired by one of the greatest rock'n'roll shows I've ever seen, 'Thee Ooh Sees' at the Black Box in Belfast on sun may 5th. I was meant to play a bunch of these tunes but because i only got to spin for 30/40 minutes so a bunch of these fine platters slipped thru the cracks. Hope y'all dig it as much as i enjoyed compiling & mixing it." - David Holmes.
It's a rip-roaring journey through some of the ruffest and rawest modern (and not so modern) Garage, Pshyche, Freakbeat and Rock N' Roll with tracks from the likes of The Black Angels, Jean Pierre Mirouze, Moon Duo, Goat, Wooden Shjips and Loop. Heavy.
http://www.mixcloud.com/Tourist/blood-s ... id-holmes/

Unfortunately the link has expired there, but sounds well tasty. I know very little about any of the artists, but I keep hearing amazing stuff about The Oh Sees from so many different people, so I've gotta check them out. Holmes says they are one the greatest live shows he's ever seen? Serious kudos there. :shock:

And Exile... in the sun. Yep. The gift that keeps giving. Perfect!
O P 8
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Eels - Cautionary Tales, simply brilliant :D
'Remember, change is not good'
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Blasting Stone Roses' Second Coming on vinyl right now. It's that reissue that's been out for while now and what a great pressing it is: it really brings forward the spacious mix and has a huge bass sound. Groovy sh*t!
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

my gosh

this is so, so good
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

^^ That's a lovely song Ro ^^

Makes my currently listening pleasure sound like a bucket of sleaze.

Black Bananas for me "Powder 8" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksfDjpVgvAo plus a really cool Liars remix of their Physical Emotions track https://soundcloud.com/#drag-city/physi ... iars-remix . I've got the Electric Brick Wall album coming through the post and tickets booked for their 100 Club gig in November. I never got to see Royal Trux so this will be my chance to see Jennifer up close and personal.

Also, Royal Trux - Veterans Of Disorder, cued up and ready to go.....
spaceman85
Known user

Post by spaceman85 »

tropic of cancer_restless idylls
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

New Electric Moon LP on GPS... superb!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Laz69 wrote:New Electric Moon LP on GPS... superb!
Arrived today with a mad picture disc. Yet to listen to either though.....
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Picture disc? Of the album? Mine is a lovely sky blue colour, but is just standard vinyl... Great cover art though!
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

olan wrote:
Laz69 wrote:New Electric Moon LP on GPS... superb!
Arrived today with a mad picture disc. Yet to listen to either though.....
So Dom has sent them out. Hope mine will make it's way across the channel soon!
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Metallica at Glastonbury, courtesy of BBC2. Absolutely loving it. I'd rather see them headline than the likes of McCartney or the Rolling Stones any day of the week.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

I'm doing Metallica @ Glastonbury also. However to me it looks/sounds a bit cheesy tbh - it's more like a metal disco (if there is such a thing) than the aggression/anger I'd normally associate w/Metallica. It's a bit too happy/celebratory - which is exactly why I think the stones are more suited to that kinda mood - a party. Metallica don't really carry it off as well IMO.. Was defo nice change of sound tho for Glastonbury.

Yea whiskey in the jar.. Pure cheese. Think I'm about done..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Laz69 wrote:Picture disc? Of the album? Mine is a lovely sky blue colour, but is just standard vinyl... Great cover art though!
Two LPs arrived from Dom, which is a nice sky blue LP and Razen reed bombus lfo, which is one of the maddest picture disks I own. The music is waaaaaaay out there too. It is pretty excellent. In fact, I've yet to by a GPS record from Dom that hasn't been excellent.
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

The Ladies and Gentlemen... black box set
Got it on ebay a few weeks a go for a decent price and i've had this dark cloud of DIY necessities hanging over me for a while (about 6 years) so i have saved it for this weekend.
Listening to the extra discs certainly lightened the DIY load.
Really impressed. How to do a reissue well, very well. Pretty much everything about it. Just right...
Totally drew me in and required repeated spins.
When it came out i was loath to waste my pennies on this kind of thing. I'm now really really glad i was able to find it for a good price all these years later despite its apparent limited issue.
A couple of stand out moments such as the telephone messages - that just screams, I Think I'm In Love - you can really hear the development and the Cop Shoot Cop section. There's one other... maybe Cool Waves that on first listen made me put down my roller and listen.

If you haven't got it I'd say it's essential.

On the DIY front Wickes trade Matt Emulsion(27 quid for 10ltrs) is also highly recommended. Did 100+sqm of newly plastered wall with 20lts. I was expecting to have to do third coat but even in the bright late evening light two coats look adequate. Tomorrow morning might tell a different story but fingers crossed that's me and decorating finished for another decade.
Heavy Tourism
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

jack white wrote:I'm doing Metallica @ Glastonbury also. However to me it looks/sounds a bit cheesy tbh - it's more like a metal disco (if there is such a thing) than the aggression/anger I'd normally associate w/Metallica. It's a bit too happy/celebratory - which is exactly why I think the stones are more suited to that kinda mood - a party. Metallica don't really carry it off as well IMO.. Was defo nice change of sound tho for Glastonbury.
It should have been Sabbath
Sigh...
Now it will never happen

I really liked their stage set. Do they always do that? Has anyone else ever done it?
Heavy Tourism
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

An odd and contrasting selection.

999 - 999
999 - The Biggest Prize In Sport
999 - Separates
The Grateful Dead - Live, Hill Auditorium 14 Dec '71
The Grateful Dead - Live, Hill Auditorium 15 Dec '71
Rich Robinson - The Ceaseless Sight
Wooden Shjips - Dos
Dandy Warhols - Come Down
Dandy Warhols - 13 Tales From Urban Bohemia

I have to say that those Dandy Warhols albums are some of the best driving music I know.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I've had the afternoon off, so I have listened to a variety of things

Cocteau Twins: Garlands
Orb and Lee Scratch Perry: The Orbserver in the Star House
PiL: First Edition
Boards of Canada: Geogaddi
Spiritualized: LGM
William Alfred Sargent: Things Inside

Next up: Ramones: It's Alive
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Last week or so I`ve been playing Spiritualized - Royal Albert Hall , I think this is on the back of all the live gigs in Bza`s Bootleg thread. Mostly been playing the 1st disc, and I seemed to remember some folk here discussing the keyboard sounds on Shine A Light I think, being a touch boogie woogie- ish or something, I had never noticed this before, but couldn`t stop noticing it :( , anyway that minor gripe aside, it still sounded superb to me, must have played it a dozen times this last week,

Today for my work`s driving music I grabbed The Telescopes - Altered Perceptions on the way out, good collection of early/mid stuff this with a few curio bits thrown in, enjoyed it a lot in the what passes for sweltering heat round here, the loud bits were still very loud, and the more mellow/jazzy track still hold up well ,
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Wooden Wand: Farmer's Corner

I have a long standing minor obsession with Wooden Wand. The Wooden Wand and the World War IV album being a particular recent favourite. However, due to moving house/idiocy I missed the release of this in May of this year. It has monopolised the turntable here since I picked up it by accident at Probe on Friday. Highly recommended if an accoustic vibe is your thing.....
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Chris Robinson Brotherhood - Phosphorescent Harvest

One of the records I was bought by my wife for my birthday today and loving the vibe on this 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
spaceman85
Known user

Post by spaceman85 »

XTC_ I Remember the Sun
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Blues Pills - S/T

Excellent bluesy rock from Sweden. Some killer guitar freakouts and some great Joplin-esque vocals.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Lay Llamas -Ostro, its late night, heavy and hypnotic beats hitting the spot after a few beers and some wine, 8)

johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I like that Lay Llamas track. Same label as Goat I see. Will have to investigate further.

I've been binging on Jane's Addiction - Ritual De Lo Habitual the past few days, especially the 2nd side. I'm probably playing it more now than I did when first purchased on vinyl way back in 1990/91. Can't quite tell if the production is a tad flimsy or whether it's my naff USB turntable. Turn it up loud enough and it packs a punch though.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

David Rodigan - Masterpiece Album

...which obscurely appeared before me in a music shop today...

Shoulders back, smash it
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

johnnyboy wrote: I've been binging on Jane's Addiction - Ritual De Lo Habitual the past few days, especially the 2nd side. I'm probably playing it more now than I did when first purchased on vinyl way back in 1990/91. Can't quite tell if the production is a tad flimsy or whether it's my naff USB turntable. Turn it up loud enough and it packs a punch though.
the production on that album is definitely flimsy! sounds the same on my CD copy
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

angelsighs wrote:
johnnyboy wrote: I've been binging on Jane's Addiction - Ritual De Lo Habitual the past few days, especially the 2nd side. I'm probably playing it more now than I did when first purchased on vinyl way back in 1990/91. Can't quite tell if the production is a tad flimsy or whether it's my naff USB turntable. Turn it up loud enough and it packs a punch though.
the production on that album is definitely flimsy! sounds the same on my CD copy
Must agree here lads, I bought the vinyl back in 1990 and a cd copy about 2000, both shitty quiet/flimsy. I was a big fan of this band, and if ever an album was screaming out for a decent remaster job its Ritual De Lo Habitual, I can just add that the 12" single of Three Days certainly kicks ass, just a pity the album/ cd doesn`t sound the same.

Allah-las new album , sounds fantastic without reinventing the wheel, what they do, they are masters of.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

i still love the album though. 3 days is a great song.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Parquet Courts - "Sunbathing Animal".
Strong album of the year contender imo. Here's the title track:

Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spaceman85
Known user

Post by spaceman85 »

Tiny Vipers-Life On Earth
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Courtney Barnetts Glastonbury set.

nice.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

gonna burn brightly
for a while
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

New LP on deep Distance from Leisure Birds has had a few spins now and is seriously impressive. Reminds me of a fututristic Eat Light become Lights with Vocals. Real good and mega limited so get on it quick.
I will get round to listening tothe new Mogwai box set, but time seems to dissapear at a fair old pace these days.
Parquet Courts are also a favourite with me at the moment, cross between Pavement, The fall and Modern Lovers I would say
nogoodboyo
Known user

Post by nogoodboyo »

I've been listening to The Darkside
I played my old Epiphone Casino the other day.
I even plugged it in and did some noodling
It still sounds nice
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Aquarian-Time wrote:Parquet Courts are also a favourite with me at the moment, cross between Pavement, The fall and Modern Lovers I would say
Nice to see someone else here diggin' them. Sunbathing Animal is the first album in a loooong time that i've been inclined to play more than twice before casting aside.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Moon Duo - Live In Ravenna, been looking forward to hearing this, man its raw/loud/messy compared to their studio stuff recently, I like it , but it was a jolt to hear them like this, a live drummer so really Moon Trio,

Stonedutch
Known user

Post by Stonedutch »

Last edited by Stonedutch on Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Where I stand is only three miles from space ..."
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

i dig that moon duo live album

it sounds crunchier than their studio stuff :evil:
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

Lisa Gerrard - Twilight Kingdom

second track ‘Adrift’ is just wonderful.
Last edited by cantona on Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Blue Öyster Cult - Blue Öyster Cult from 1972

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0yNndiQMVk
spaceman85
Known user

Post by spaceman85 »

davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Deers - Demo 7"

Spanish girl duo based in Madrid who pruduce the most wonderfully catchy infectious tunes that I can only describe as ramshackled! Most frustrating thing is only two tracks currently out there and LP not due til next next year :(
'Remember, change is not good'
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

twink - think pink

the pink fairies - never never land

the deviants - ptooff!