What Are You Listening To Now?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

niamhm
Known user

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

Post by niamhm »

/\/\//\ Some real gems on that SOOL album,

Late afternoon and the sun is shining here for a change!!

The Myrrors - Arena Negra is going down a treat :)
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

The Memories - Hot Afternoon LP - Short but oh so sweet slice of west coast pop with a belting version of True Love Will Find You In The End thrown in for good measure :!: Think already gong to be part of my summer soundtrack :D
'Remember, change is not good'
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Pretty Lightning LP on the ever reliable cardinal Fuzz label, really enjoying this, desert blues pysch in essence, with Sun Araw style vocals. Whats not to like ?

Got the 3 most recent Deep Distance LP's, all outstanding, the most recent to land is the Zone six album which is awesome, reminding me of Earthless.

Just to balance out all this Psych, Ryan Adams debut Heartbreaker got a spin, still amazing.

Oh and The White Hills album is superb, there best for several years.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

the new oh sees is up on soundcloud- it can be downloaded for free for today only. my initial impressions are that it follows on nicely from 'drop' with the return of brigid as a huge bonus.

https://soundcloud.com/castle-face-1/se ... -at-last-1
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Coming late to the news Exit Calm had split, been spinning the first album alot. what a lovely wash of noise that is with some great great lyrics.

also been checking out the new Blanck Mass - its got beats!

...and lots of live Deerhunter.

Live Deerhunter - dig in; http://livebootlegconcert.blogspot.co.u ... Deerhunter
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

BVCP206 wrote:The Memories - Hot Afternoon LP - Short but oh so sweet slice of west coast pop with a belting version of True Love Will Find You In The End thrown in for good measure :!: Think already gong to be part of my summer soundtrack :D
Forgot to add this was a 'High Fidelity' moment, was browsing in a record shop in Madrid and this came on, as my Spanish is sadly lacking I asked my brother to ask what it was and the rest is history so to speak..... :D
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

spunder wrote:Coming late to the news Exit Calm had split, been spinning the first album alot. what a lovely wash of noise that is with some great great lyrics.
yeah remember seeing them tweet a little while back that they'd split. not surprised to be honest. they were writing fairly anthemic music but for some reason were getting nowhere.
first album was excellent..
2nd album... left me very cold.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

The Holy Drug Couple , White Manna & East India Youth albums have been sounding pretty good this week,

Also been playing Thee Blue Nile- Hats a lot recently, man its such a great album, magic never seems to wear off,
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

angelsighs wrote:
spunder wrote:Coming late to the news Exit Calm had split, been spinning the first album alot. what a lovely wash of noise that is with some great great lyrics.
yeah remember seeing them tweet a little while back that they'd split. not surprised to be honest. they were writing fairly anthemic music but for some reason were getting nowhere.
first album was excellent..
2nd album... left me very cold.
i wouldnt be surprised if the 3 musicians continue as another project. there is a couple of decent tunes on the second album, but i agree its not as good as the first which is perfectly soundtracking my state of mind at the mo, that opening track is an utter monster.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

runcible wrote:Andrew Weatherall - A Pox On The Pioneers.

This album is a totally unexpected gem. I really find it amazing that a man associated with dancier beat-driven music can have produced an album that sounds more like 70s glam rock and pop than anything else.

Can't fault it and it's been on rotation in the car for days now. Fantastic!

If you haven't already heard them, I'd recommend the later Two Lone Swordsmen albums - particularly Wrong Meeting and Wrong Meeting II. Both are in the same kind of vein as A Pox On The Pioneers, with Weatherall singing on kind of garage rock songs, with a bit of a rockabilly influence at times.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

By a beautiful synchronicity, runcible might like to comment to this before I do...
O P 8
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Viet Cong - Viet Cong. The album really doesn't compare to the live experience. Almost like two different bands.

The Holydrug Couple - Moonlust. I only made it halfway through this and had to switch it off due to increasing boredom and irritation. Maybe I just wasn't in the humour but it sounded awfully bland and dull to me today.

Six Organs of Admittance - Hexadic. Would I be right in thinking this is way more full on and harsh sounding than any of their previous releases? I enjoyed most of it but i can't see myself returning to it anytime soon.

Metz - Metz. Punky, noisey type affair. Clocks in at a little over 26 minutes so doesn't wear out it's welcome.

I need an album that really excites to come along soon....
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

New album From Jacco Gardener- This is really really good. Kind of Chamber pop psych. Imagine if you will, a more focused Syd Barratt backed by Broadcast.

Bop English- main main from White Denim does a solo album and unsurprisingly does it very very well. Similar to White Denim without quite as many changes and noodling, but still plenty going on. The production is really impressive as well.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Tom Verlaine- A Millers Tale 2 CD.
One of those CDs I bought years ago. Just filed away. Played it last night and never realized the first CD is a live show from London in 1982. Holy shit is his guitar on fire on this. I realize not everyone likes Tom Verlaine but if you do this is well worth searching out.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Bardo Pond - Is There A Heaven? EP
Earthless - lots and lots and lots of Earthless
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

oh and the new Oh Sees album is brilliant also, a real return to form after last years minor blemish 'drop'
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

spzretent wrote:Tom Verlaine- A Millers Tale 2 CD.
One of those CDs I bought years ago. Just filed away. Played it last night and never realized the first CD is a live show from London in 1982. Holy shit is his guitar on fire on this. I realize not everyone likes Tom Verlaine but if you do this is well worth searching out.
big Television fan here, but never really checked out Veraline's solo stuff. this sounds just the ticket!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

He has some great solo stuff.
S/T, Dreamtime, Cover, Flashlight. All good and wont cost a fortune to pick up.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

As mentioned elsewhere: Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly

Really rather wonderful so far.
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

Listened the other day to the first record we recorded in 96' from our band Maya, called 'Slow Escape' which was released on Conspiracy Records.
The production wasn't a 100% fantastic, but we were young and full of ideas and stuff...
Anyway, it's kind of psychedelic, ambient and rockin'.
Like to hear some opinions of you music lovers out there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh5qf4-Semo
"Thank you"
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I decided to go and give some of these Great Pop Supplement releases I have accumulated over the past few years another play
Violet Woods- S/T is amazing. Teetering between Byrdsy pop and Sarah Records but so good.
The big surprise of the evening is the 2012 I Am Ampersand LP. Holy shit is this record amazing. Neo/Psych/Folk or whatever label people want to give it.
you can listen to for free here.
https://i-am-ampersand.bandcamp.com/album/grave-goods
Stand out tracks are:
The Hired Hand
and the fucking amazing title track
Grave Goods.
I have no vested interest in this other than to urge you to check these tracks out.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

spzretent wrote:I decided to go and give some of these Great Pop Supplement releases I have accumulated over the past few years another play
Violet Woods- S/T is amazing. Teetering between Byrdsy pop and Sarah Records but so good.
The big surprise of the evening is the 2012 I Am Ampersand LP. Holy shit is this record amazing. Neo/Psych/Folk or whatever label people want to give it.
you can listen to for free here.
https://i-am-ampersand.bandcamp.com/track/grave-goods
Stand out tracks are:
The Hired Hand
and the fucking amazing title track
Grave Goods.
I have no vested interest in this other than to urge you to check these tracks out.
I have religiously bought everything Dom releases on DD, GPS and Polytechnic Youth. I quite often shelve the LPs without playing them, which turns out to be a huge mistake. I fully agree with your views on the Violet Woods and I am Ampersand LPs. However, the recent LP Dom released by Zone 6 is an absolute monster. Two sides of superb guitar drone! It is my favourite LP of the year thus far, and by quite a distance. In second place (and also released by Dom) is the Sula Bassana LP Kosmonauts on Deep Distance. This is a more electronic take on drone by a member of Zone 6. Anyhow, not being a believer in coincidence, I looked up Zone 6/Sula Bassana and ended up buying a couple of Zone 6 of CDs directly from Dave Schmidt, 'Live Wired 2004' and '10 Years of Aural Psychedelic Journeys'. Suffice to say they are feckin' amazing. I'm now trawling the usual suspects for Zone 6 vinyl. Please do yourselves a favour and chase these LPs down!!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I have been stocking Great Pop Supplement and Deep Distance 7"s, 12"s & LP's. One of the few in the US bringing these in and they trickle out. It is kind of sad there isn't more interest. I like Dom. I trust Dom. I support Dom.
Subsequently I have quite a few out of print titles just sitting here. For a few years.
You are correct about the Zone Six & Sula Bassana LPs Olan. Really enjoyed those.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

For those that like it dark, heavy and trippy then there's a new Destruction Unit song on the loose ahead of their next album http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2 ... ni_10.html . As always it sounds an unholy messed up racket on first listen but a few more and I'm addicted. I love this band.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

johnnyboy wrote:For those that like it dark, heavy and trippy then there's a new Destruction Unit song on the loose ahead of their next album http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2 ... ni_10.html . As always it sounds an unholy messed up racket on first listen but a few more and I'm addicted. I love this band.
I agree, an unholy racket right enough, but half a dozen listens the last 2 days and I`m in, crazy energy flying around, :twisted:
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

niamhm wrote:
johnnyboy wrote:For those that like it dark, heavy and trippy then there's a new Destruction Unit song on the loose ahead of their next album http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2 ... ni_10.html . As always it sounds an unholy messed up racket on first listen but a few more and I'm addicted. I love this band.
I agree, an unholy racket right enough, but half a dozen listens the last 2 days and I`m in, crazy energy flying around, :twisted:
Welcome aboard! I've been playing it over and over at my work desk the past couple of days. Highly recommend their last album Deep Trip and seeing them live too, over here in Sept at the Liverpool Fest and a date in London as well, which I'll be at. They're insane live, best described here http://www.castlefacerecords.com/collec ... ction-unit
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yup loving that new Destruction Unit track... it's more of the same really, but that's no bad thing. can't wait to see their live show.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

Blogariddims 40 - Grime in the Dancehall

Especially 27m39secs to 35m13secs which is a madhouse records mash feat. baby cham, buju, lady saw etc

Also prince jazzbo, prince far I, richie spice, dillinger

HoldTight
Shoulders back, smash it
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Stuart X.Hunter wrote:Blogariddims 40 - Grime in the Dancehall

Especially 27m39secs to 35m13secs which is a madhouse records mash feat. baby cham, buju, lady saw etc
Ah...you can't beat the aul 'Joyride' :D I recommend you try it at a slightly faster pitch, satisfaction guaranteed.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Panda Bear- Person Pitch
Pentangle- s/t
Fripp & Eno- Live in Paris
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Volume 2
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Mercury Rev - Secret For A Song

Very loud and utterly loving it too. What a magnificent track. Rest of "The Secret Migration" coming up...
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Fantastic sounding capture.
Good stuff.

Spiritualized
April 01, 1998
Universal Amphitheatre
Universal City, CA

Source: Core Sound Binaurals > Sony TCD-D8
Lineage: DAT Master 16/48 > FLAC
Transfer (BLG): DA-20 > coax > Marantz PMD-670 > usb reader > Adobe Audition > iZotope Ozone 5 > WavePad > xACT > FLAC
Taper: Ed Davis

01 Cop Shoot Cop…
02 Shine a Light
03 Born Never Asked > Electric Mainline
04 Electricity
05 Sway
06 Come Together
07 I Think I’m in Love
08 Lay Back in the Sun

Total Time: 43:17
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Out of Philadelphia, first The Asteroid #4, now Ecstatic Vision....

http://www.spin.com/2015/06/ecstatic-vi ... lp-stream/

The Philly-based psychonauts Ecstatic Vision make brawny prog that feels like an apparition. Their totemic compositions heave and roil with the creaking weight of Hawkwind records, but things aren’t as they seem. Their approach to familiar structures are unpredictable and the casually flitting guitar lines are ghostly, unsettling mirages that change shape and form the instant you feel like you have them figured out.

The trio’s debut LP Sonic Praise surfaces next week on Relapse Records, but before it does its streaming here in full. Check it out here, alongside the dates of an upcoming tour with their fellow Philadelphians in Creepoid.

Ecstatic Vision tour dates:
June 23 – New York, NY @ Mercury Lounge #
June 26 – Philadelphia, PA @ Johnny Brenda’s #
June 30 – Richmond, VA @ Gallery5 #
July 1 – Harrisonburg, VA @ The Golden Pony #

# with Creepoid
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Bardo Pond's cover of Maggot Brain is pretty fine!
they are releasing this compilation rounding up all the cover versions they've done for RSD

http://thequietus.com/articles/18191-ba ... ogy-stream
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

[quote="angelsighs"]Bardo Pond's cover of Maggot Brain is pretty fine!
they are releasing this compilation rounding up all the cover versions they've done for RSD

http://thequietus.com/articles/18191-ba ... ogy-stream[/quote

Listened to the trilogy all the way through, never bought the vinyl, but the CD`s are being ordered sounded totally frazzled and brilliant,

My Bloody Valentine -mbv, still sounding disorientingly weird in a good way, its like the batteries are running out but everything is still in time an tune, quite a feat.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Dungen have finally come out of hiding, new album on the way.

http://pitchfork.com/news/60076-dungen- ... k-akt-dit/

it sounds like a continuation of the last two albums to me... bit disappointing. I want him to crank the amps up again. still pisses on the new Tame Impala stuff though :)
niamhm wrote:
angelsighs wrote:Bardo Pond's cover of Maggot Brain is pretty fine!

http://thequietus.com/articles/18191-ba ... ogy-stream
Listened to the trilogy all the way through, never bought the vinyl, but the CD`s are being ordered sounded totally frazzled and brilliant,

My Bloody Valentine -mbv, still sounding disorientingly weird in a good way, its like the batteries are running out but everything is still in time an tune, quite a feat.
good isn't it! they played Maggot Brain as an encore when I last saw them in Birmingham, it was an amazing surprise "it can't be, can it?... it is!!"
the Velvets cover is fantastic too.

mbv is a fine album, I always liked it but wondered whether initially it was just the novelty of having ANY new MBV to listen to.. with hindsight, it's still great on its own terms! only one tune on there (If I Am) that I don't really care for.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

shalloboi wrote:the new oh sees is up on soundcloud- it can be downloaded for free for today only. my initial impressions are that it follows on nicely from 'drop' with the return of brigid as a huge bonus.

https://soundcloud.com/castle-face-1/se ... -at-last-1
The lovely coloured vinyl of this is back in stock for a while at Castle Face Records http://castlefacerecords.co.uk/products ... -mutilator grabbed a copy last night
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Can never really remember the order these albums came out in, think this might be their 4th, Hall Of The Mountain Grill, some fantastic stuff on this ,

Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

nice Gospel vibes by Peaking lights

https://soundcloud.com/peakinglights/heroiiiin
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Jenny Hval - Apocalypse, girl

An utterly mesmerising album. Hard to describe; just listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=33&v=oGksHxwnap0
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Piles of CDs of The Grateful Dead's 'Fare Thee Well' shows from Chicago from the beginning of this month. I never expected them to be this good but the 3 nights featured different set lists and are very enjoyable.

Also The Church 'Further/Deeper', which I think is something like their 24th album. An unexpected psychedelic treat.

And until the rain started pouring lots of roots reggae...
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Half a day off yesterday, so manged to listen in solitude for a change.
On the decks went'
Sylvester Anfang 11 LP on GPS, (kind of Indian/Asian vibe in a jam style way)
Kosmanaut-Orange LP on (Deep distance) Blissed out electronic krautrock
Ultimate Painting debut LP on Trouble in Mind Records (gets better with every listen, cant wait for the new one next week)
Luna-Romantica and Revdevouz in readiness for the weekend (3 gigs yay !)
Twelve-Housten we have nom problem vol 1 cd (more kraitock lovliness from SIx by seven mainman)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

runcible wrote: Also The Church 'Further/Deeper', which I think is something like their 24th album. An unexpected psychedelic treat.
funny! listened to The Church's Untitled #23 last night myself. really enjoying it, it's been a grower of an album. quite tuneful but like you say there's a slight psychedelic shimmer to it too.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I have been stuck in this mode for about a week.
Mazzy Star and Speck Mountain.
Observations?

Mazzy Star's last record- Seasons Of Your Day is my favorite by them. That is saying a lot. It seems it never really got its fair share of praise. Perhaps I am wrong. Prior to Seasons... Among My Swan was my favorite.

Speck Mountain. I know I have said it before but I cant believe this band isn't bigger. Especially among the hordes of Mazzy Star fans that showed up night after night when they toured. Imagine if Hope Sandoval had such a soulful voice that you could just tell it was coming from somewhere much deeper in her gut. Just gorgeous. This is another instance where someone just opens up on stage but if you went up to her she would be very shy and quiet. Magical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3kz5YZtuQ0
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JADNepNMhHI
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

spzretent wrote: Mazzy Star's last record- Seasons Of Your Day is my favorite by them. That is saying a lot. It seems it never really got its fair share of praise. Perhaps I am wrong. Prior to Seasons... Among My Swan was my favorite.
I put 'Seasons of your Day' on last night on my way home from work and I agree with you- I've noticed it's become the go-to when I want to listen to them.

Other than that I've been listening to the new Beach House (I can't resist when their albums leak- I've had it pre-ordered since it was first announced anyway) and Lana del Rey- 'Ultraviolence' on endless loop for some reason.

Whenever I manage to escape the loop I've been listening to a bunch of Star of the Lid, Grouper and... well, Loop.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Bruce Springsteen - Rattling The Chains: The Lost Masters Volume 2 (Darkness On The Edge Of Town Sessions)
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

The Rolling Stones- The Beggars Banquet Sessions.
4 CDs of outtakes from BB and more plus a wicked DVD full of footage I had never seen before.
Being the golden era Stones obsessive I am I thought I had heard most of the BB outtakes. Boy was I wrong. 95% is crystal clear quality too.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Merzbow/Mats Gustafsson/Balázs Pándi/Thurston Moore- Cuts of Guilt, Cuts Deeper

really enjoying this. 2CDs of avant noise/jazz. only one of the tracks is relatively laid back, mostly its a noisy free for all! a bedrock of electronic tones duelling with wailing sax and shards of guitar.
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

Rainy afternoon in Birmingham.
Bees Made Honey
Heavy Tourism
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

New Chvrches tracks. Bloody gorgeous as ever.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Allah - Las - Lagniappe Sessions , some Allah style covers, very good as well,

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gmixrw7dvepp ... KJRza?dl=0

if anybody`s interested.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

(recent CD acquisition from Tower Records in Tokyo)
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

Had a chat with a group of lads late afternoon in the pub. They had been binge buying at the closing day of one of Birmingham's vinyl shops.
Influenced by the contents of their bags i have been listening to Kraftwerk and Hawkwind. Also giving Zappa another go.
Heavy Tourism
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

New Destruction Unit, "The Upper Hand", a furious sun baked trip to God knows where......

http://www.imposemagazine.com/bytes/new ... upper-hand
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Public Service Broadcasting - Race For Space :D
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

AFX ~ Orphaned Deejay Selek 2006-08
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Wes Montgomery- Goin' Out Of My Head Lp. 60's Jazz.
I found this LP today while looking for vinyl to sell and all signs pointed to this being this amazing sounding LP. So I played it. The fidelity is stunning. The music aint my thing at all. So not up my street.
Soon to be in someone elses collection.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

BEAK> on Marc Riley

Some great music being played with the bonus of BEAK> playing live in the studio.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0675n9j
Design.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Last night the New Yo La Tengo was debuted at DC towers and its lovely. So laid back but really nice and the addition of their old guitarist is a nice touch, he has little flourishes all over the album

Also new Death and Vanilla 12 " which is superb. Closest thing we have to Broadcast by a country mile
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Death & Vanilla are cool, but some of their stuff feels way to much like Broadcast-lite to me. The recent album is tough for me to listen to without having being overwhelmed by the urge to switch over to Ha-Ha Sound or The Future Crayon. However, the super weird live album (improvisational?) album D&V put out, Vampyr, is intoxicating, creepy as fuck and totally different from their more pop-leaning material.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Twilight Sad - Nobody Wants To Be Here And Nobody Wants To Leave, had fair bit of millage out of this album this year, even the kids are liking its gloomy majesty,

At this precise moment a complete White Hills gig from Effenar, Eindhoven, 2 nights ago that someone has kindly filmed an put up on youtube 8)
suskind
Known user

Post by suskind »

Korean surf rock bank Say Sue Me
https://electricmuse.bandcamp.com/album/weve-sobered-up
good for late summer days
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

Max Richter - From sleep.The one our edition and not the eight hour edition.

It is composed to make the listener fall asleep.I really like it.
Last edited by cantona on Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Sun Kil Moon - April

Having listened to most of his back catalogue, this is probably the nicest-sounding of all Mark Kozelek's work. Brilliant both from a songwriting and production perspective, April is a far more considered and mature work than earlier Red House Painters material. However it lacks both the raw visceral emotion of Benji, and the impressive and challenging complexity of the amazing Universal Themes.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Design.