What Are You Listening To Now?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

mc
Known user

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

Post by mc »

Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls

It's really good. How can they still come up with such genius this late in their career astonishes me :shock:
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Low - Ones and Sixes
Pretty stark at the outset, but that's to be expected.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

runaway wrote:Low - Ones and Sixes
I have been listening to the new Low album quite a bit over the last few days. Musically I think is is excellent, and I really like the artwork but what is with the lurid yellow vinyl? Also, MP3 and not FLAC download is cheapshit thing to do, especially given the pice of the LP.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Design.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

olan wrote:
I have been listening to the new Low album quite a bit over the last few days. Musically I think is is excellent, and I really like the artwork but what is with the lurid yellow vinyl? Also, MP3 and not FLAC download is cheapshit thing to do, especially given the pice of the LP.
Did you get the Sub Pop "Loser" special edition? I got the CD w/ an owl t-shirt for the kid.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Minami Deutsch - s/t , from Cardinal Fuzz, arrived today, been playing it all night, wonderful minimal Kraut Rock from Japan, very pleased with this .
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

runaway wrote:
olan wrote:
Did you get the Sub Pop "Loser" special edition? I got the CD w/ an owl t-shirt for the kid.
Yep, lovely music, particularly beautiful sleeve design and hideous urine-sample yellow vinyl. Quite like the sticker that says looser on cover. I hadn't noticed that before....
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

The God Machine- Scenes From The Second Storey

this album is one where you don't know quite where it would have fitted into the music scene of the time (1992)- there's some very metal riffing and some moments that remind me of Janes Addiction of all people- but then there's some tranquil moments, atmospheric sax and even some piano tinkling.
tell you what though, I can hear definitely moments where early Mogwai would have cribbed some of their moves from.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Sunburned Hand Of The Man- Jaybird
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Pulp - The Sisters EP
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Kikagaku Moyo - Forest of Lost Children

moop
Known user

Post by moop »

finally picked up Link Wray's '3 Track Shack'. fantastic stuff!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

moop wrote:finally picked up Link Wray's '3 Track Shack'. fantastic stuff!
I can speak for a few people I know. This stuff is life changing musically speaking.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

The Field Mice — Triangle

Design.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Max Richter - Sleep . bluddy lovely.

also converting loads of live stuff/ bootlegs from crappy bit rate mp3's to flac. its like they have been converted from B&W to 3D Technicolor. especially the 60's / 70's material. amazing.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Deerhunter - Fading Frontier

This sounds better with every listen. Described as Bradford Cox's 'poppy' album it's certainly got a very appealing sound but there is still some edge to proceedings, just as there was with Halcyon Digest, the album Fading Frontier gets compared to, although it's quite a way off the harsher sound of Monomania. Lots of very catchy songs with that dreamy feel you find in Deerhunter music. The 2 preview tracks - Snakeskin and Breaker - are among the best tunes here I think, and the anticipation they created have made the album live up to my expectations. They play at the Brudenell in a couple of weeks which I am really looking forward to.

I must admit to not having found a great deal of new music this year so this is a welcome arrival. Recommended.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I'm finding that Deerhunter album to be really disappointing, as was the last one. It just passes me by when I listen to it.

I think they lost something when Josh Fauver left. I'll still go and see them in Dublin next week though!
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

...think I'm mellowing with age then... I like the laid back feel of this new one.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Halcyon is gathering dust on its shelf - haven't played it since I gave it a few spins when it came out. Not bothering with the new one - don't understand the hype surrounding this band.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Brian Eno - New Space Music (bonus disc of the recent Neroli reissue)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

runaway wrote:Halcyon is gathering dust on its shelf - haven't played it since I gave it a few spins when it came out. Not bothering with the new one - don't understand the hype surrounding this band.
I think the vast majority of Halcyon is fantastic - couple of less interesting tunes but the rest is great. I hadn't really paid much attention to DH until someone played me that. I don't get that last album but I am enjoying the floaty nature of this new one a lot.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

The new FUZZ album, a double album so its taking a bit off getting to grips with, but its getting put through its paces this weekend, liking what I`m hearing so far.
Bull Lee
Known user

Post by Bull Lee »

Don Cherry - Orient.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

recently found this fantastic live recording of Echo & The Bunnymen which I had on in the background while doing some computer stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuIvLAtp0sc

there are a lot of great live recordings out there under the Rockpalast banner. there's a fantastic early REM one too.

this week I've also been mostly listening to:

Godspeed You Black Emperor- Asunder, Sweet and Other Distress
Loop- The World in Your Eyes
Deep Purple- Made in Japan
Doves-Kingdom of Rust
The Rolling Stones- Sticky Fingers
The Rolling Stones- Exile on Main Street
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Finally got a new copy of 3-Track Shack (Ace 2015). Now I know what y'all are talking about.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Slaves - Are You Satisfied?
Nathaniel Radcliffe & the Night Sweats - Nathaniel Radcliffe & the Night Sweats
Low - Ones & Sixes
Spectres- Unofficlal Bond Theme 7"
PSB - Race For Space

I like to mix it up a bit :D
'Remember, change is not good'
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

An artist from Austria called Juleah

Really good stuff, lots to see and hear on youtube. First few albums are download only (which you can download off bandcamp for nothing if you want, I paid a few quid for each)
Her new album is out and its the first physical release and its great. Two spins today already.
Think Psychic Ills, Speck Mountain, Tess Parks, maybe a bit of Mazzy Star. She plays all instruments herself and I highly reccomend.
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

I got a hold on 14 Isaac Hayes albums (family member past away) and some of them are really enjoyable.
Apparat Organ Quartet - Polyfonia (Iceland's best kept secret)
Candi Staton - Compilation (bought it for 'I'm just a prisoner', but there are plenty of great souljerkers)
Chelsea Wolfe - Live at roadburn 2012 (a killer!)
"Thank you"
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

I'll tell you what I'm NOT listening to; anything by that fucking Adele!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Aquarian-Time wrote:An artist from Austria called Juleah

Really good stuff, lots to see and hear on youtube. First few albums are download only (which you can download off bandcamp for nothing if you want, I paid a few quid for each)
Her new album is out and its the first physical release and its great. Two spins today already.
Think Psychic Ills, Speck Mountain, Tess Parks, maybe a bit of Mazzy Star. She plays all instruments herself and I highly reccomend.
This description was right up my street. I checked some songs out online and promptly ordered the LP. Once again I can thank this message board for another great recommendation.
For those interested, especially in the North America, Amazon UK by far the best deal at $27.50 shipped.
Thank you Dave.
jwilder
Known user

Post by jwilder »

Her cover of Spacemen 3's cover of The Carter Family's May The Circle Be Unbroken is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxQUcnZ4ovI
Aquarian-Time wrote:An artist from Austria called Juleah

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Juleah's version of the Staples Singers classic was astonishing. Definitely gonna check her stuff out.

For me the last few weeks have been dominated by exactly two albums - one of which was Raw Power in its many versions. The 1997 Iggy Pop remaster was my intro to it back in 1998 I think - there was an article with Jason about his top 10 records in Melody Maker - and this was number one choice.

It blew out many beatboxes years ago in college, but it sounded better than anything.

There's a less abrasive version out there on a limited 12", which was remastered for RSD 2012. It sounds like the perfect hybrid between the original Bowie mix and the incendiary Iggy Pop version ('Shake Appeal' sound more like The Cramps than ever!)!

Have a listen: play at HD (720) quality with headphones, or as loud as you can play loud...

O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Psychedelic Fleetwood Mac.

Dig deep...

O P 8
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Black Bombain - Live At Casazul, toss up between this an Minami Deutsch for Cardinal Fuzz`s Records best release this yr but both excellent,
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

That McMorrow guy...his albums...whilst making a box of curiosities and a collage card for my girlfriends birthday...quite nice really
Shoulders back, smash it
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

New Thee Oh Sees song "Fortress". Much goodness abounds.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/12/t ... ss-listen/
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

BzaInSpace wrote:Psychedelic Fleetwood Mac.

Dig deep...

Whoa, that's nice man! It's got a real 70's Beach Boys feel to it.

Thanks for the new Oh See's track Johnnyboy. That's a cracker isn't it
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Raw Power is the greatest. I love everything about it.

2 washed up weirdo's move to London to make an album. Iggy reading Time magazine sitting under a tree in Kensington Gardens snorting rocks of heroin and writing the lyrics to 'Search and Destroy'. That always gives me a little kick when I walk through there - deflowering one of London's most celebrated royal Parks with seedy rock and roll behavior. The fact that most of it was written on an acoustic guitar! The vision of James Williamson! The Scala Show. The way they looked, I mean come on! The fact that no one over here could play like the dum dum boys so he had to draft them in to lay down that unhinged filth. That fact that it was so ahead of its time know one knew what the hell to make of it? What is this? The audience bating live shows, the bottle fights, the blood. The myths, the legends

and the simple fact that

they took

rock and roll

as far

as it could go.

"So we were living in Fulham and you'd turn on the TV or radio and I think it was Jimmy Savile, or this succession of awful creeps with insinuating voices, would come on and say, 'Hi mums, here's the new one from Elton' or whatever. These people peddling this horrible showbiz crap. The game was sewed up so that nothing any good could get in. So we were on a mission – partly to get people to get with it and partly to get there ourselves. I had somebody I wanted to be, a way I wanted to look, and a way I wanted to sound and it had nothing to do with having 10 quid in my pocket."

When you ain't got nothing, you got nothing to lose
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

simonkeeping wrote:
Dig deep...

Whoa, that's nice man! It's got a real 70's Beach Boys feel to it.

Thanks for the new Oh See's track Johnnyboy. That's a cracker isn't it[/quote]

No probs Simon, I only found out about it this morning via a mate. Could be a new album come spring next year. I love their work rate!
As for Fleetwood Mac, Tusk is the only album of theirs I have and it's a cracker. Well worth a purchase but no need to buy the deluxe versions of it that keep getting re-issued.
My headphones at work are now blasting out Hey Coloussus "Radio Static High", man oh man that's a BIG album.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

BzaInSpace wrote:Psychedelic Fleetwood Mac.

Dig deep...

Flat on your back blue sky summer's day psychedelia. Love it.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Pulp - Live at the Hallamshire Hotel, Sheffield, 28th March 1985

Wonderfully ramshackle stuff from the "Freaks"-era band. I can't get enough of Pulp's early "awkward" phase :)
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Black Grape - live in 1996

this is soooo feckin good. anyone else see them around this time? it was a gloriously shambolic funkadelic/ james brown/ lots of other stuff mash up. i loved em, still sound amazing today. only recently realised the paris angels guitarist was involved.

http://livebootlegconcert.blogspot.co.u ... ondon.html
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

What Are You Listening To Now?

Post by BzaInSpace »

Some great posts here (Raw Power! Tusk! Black Grape!!!) which I will add to when I can...

In the meantime - LISTEN.

The best thing I've seen and heard today, this week or even the decade? Probably.

I was looking for a YouTube link for Jerry Lee Lewis' classic 'Chantilly Lace', which I've mainlined for weeks and kicks off the 3rd disc of the incredible Whole Lotta Jerry Lee Lewis box, which is absolutely the gift that keeps giving.

(The string arranger and quartet hired for this session were told by Jerry that there "would be one take only" - despite Jerry not being very familiar with the song... :shock:)

The only YouTube link for this particular studio sesson on YT is sadly really poor quality, but I found something even better:

Fucking incredible! Jerry Lee in 1973 for the BBC, with a pick up band who look like Steely Dan, yet he channels the whole live high energy thing he does so well.

Proper sky-high rock & roll beauty - another shitty gig for the early 70s Jerry Lee Lewis yet he gives it everything. Magical and intense and incredibly right on it.

I only wish the fucking BBC hadn't felt it prudish/prudent to edit the conclusion of Jerry Lee's 'Shakin' hand instructions... :wink:

RO - this is for you!
:D
O P 8
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

The news of singer Mick Lynch's death a few days ago made me search for this. Always remember the first time I heard it as a teenager. Think it was on The Tube on Channel 4. Real wtf??!!! moment.

Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

BzaInSpace wrote:Fucking incredible! Jerry Lee in 1973

Proper sky-high rock & roll beauty

RO - this is for you! :D
"Hiyyyya!"
~Thanks BZA~
It is very beautiful indeed.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Flaming Lips- In A Priest Driven Ambulance.
3 parts noise. 1 part pop hooks.
One monster tune after another for nearly an hour.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Just spinning the second release on my label while wrapping Christmas presents. Lovely start to Christmas Eve :D 8)
Attachments
10441173_1630452387216692_7248521435790204246_n.jpg
10441173_1630452387216692_7248521435790204246_n.jpg (82.52 KiB) Viewed 12670 times
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Been playing this Adam Franklin & the Bolts Of Melody- I Could Sleep For A Thousand Years CD for two weeks.
Any Swervedriver fans out there that can tell me if the other two Adam Franklin CD's are like this?
This one is amazing.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I blasted the best Xmas album of all time - Phil Spector's Christmas Gift To You a few times yesterday - neighbours away so a good way to start the day, up with my children and later on once more at this fantastic dinner I was invited to...

Raw Power went on later (I think!) and I definitely played Lee and Nancy. Good times...
O P 8
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Kode9 - Nothing

A quietly harrowing listen, with the sad loss of Kode9's frequent collaborator The Spaceape (who succumbed to cancer in 2014) looming large over sparse, fractured, vaguely dystopian synths and beats.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Aphex Twin - Syro

Definitely loving this more and more as time goes on. What felt slightly underwhelming on release has become a labyrinthine album of odd, idiosyncratic beauty. AFX on vocoder for the win :)
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

I'm enjoying the latest Earthless track:

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/earthless-scion-premiere

Shorter with vocal - I guess a "proper" song this time from them. Great heavy riff and guitar solo!

ste
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Lovin' the new Earthless track... they can do no wrong in my eyes really!

Right now, i'm hitting it hard with the MC5...

Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Stars of The Lid - ....and Their Refinement of the Decline (3x LP)

Bought this in the sale yesterday after remembering they'd been highly recommended on the forum. Lovely, mellow sounds for a Sunday morning 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Sounds corny but I have played nothing but Bowie since Monday. Sounds fantastic of course.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Revisiting Friendly Fire & Blue On Blue.
So good.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

spzretent wrote:Revisiting Friendly Fire & Blue On Blue.
So good.
I dug them out recently. A great accompaniment to our re-introduced hifi alarm clock; waking up with Lazer Guided Melodies each morning is an extremely good way to start the day.

In other news I am excited today to receive the Still in a Dream boxset as a late Christmas present from my Girlfriend. Its sounding gooood.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

The new Iggy Pop songs are sounding really good. Collaboration with Josh Homme amongst others. Very Berlin era sounding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmyKjFQVMMU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m8TmlS20ZA

Tried getting tickets to see him at the Albert Hall in May but it sold out pretty pronto.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

The new Suede- Night Thoughts,
The new Ty Segall - Emotional Mugger,

And some old school hip hop , Gravdiggazz - The Pick ,The Sickle & The Shovel sounding better with age, actually sounding like a genuine `95/96/97 Wu Tang classic with the benefit ...
KappaTI
Known user

Post by KappaTI »

So rarely feel the need to post since what I've been listening to is usually covered, but I'm surprised folks round these parts aren't interested/aware of The Drones. Probably my favorite (active) band of the past decade. Their last album absolutely destroyed me when I first heard it. New album is out in March, and I couldn't be more excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XibHLDrlUls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ9bA3Nnqp8

Also been listening to a bunch of Phil Elverum's stuff, since it's so damn rainy here. Specifically the Mount Eerie album "Wind's Poem". Pretty thrilling guitar squalls and calm, droney bits throughout. Should be right up the alley of anyone who likes LGM.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Peter Green- The End of The Game
I would advise folks here to check this out. it sounds nothing like either Fleetwood Mac or his solo stuff. not very bluesy- it's more of a jazz fusion jam session with some scorching Hendrix-style wah wah playing. 8)
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Urthona - Urthona Plays Atlantis?

Another album from Julian Cope's "One Three One" universe, with the man himself on cymbals. Two twenty-minute slabs of cavernous, howling guitar feedback, with added brass on one track that reminds me of Harmony Rockets. "Colossal overdriven mung worship", says the promo blurb. Highly recommended, says I :)
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

New Suede album is tremendous.

Also today whilst driving to far off meetings I listened to

Bob MouldBeauty and Ruin
Bardo Pond and Tom Carter
Besnard Lakes new one(which is also excellent)
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Aquarian-Time wrote:New Suede album is tremendous.

Also today whilst driving to far off meetings I listened to

Bob MouldBeauty and Ruin
Bardo Pond and Tom Carter
Besnard Lakes new one(which is also excellent)
Got to agree about the Suede album, never bothered with the last one, and didn`t really hold out to much hope for this one tbh, boy was I wrong, cracking album,
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

John Cale - M:Fans

Very Average
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Dead Skeletons- When The Sun Live in Berlin
http://fuzzclub.com/blogs/posts/9208762 ... -in-berlin