What Are You Listening To Now?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Laz69
Known user

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

Post by Laz69 »

niamhm wrote:The new Kikagaku Moyo - House In The Long Grass which is sounding really good.
Has your copy arrived Gary? I'm patiently waiting for mine from Japan...
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

niamhm wrote:The new Kikagaku Moyo - House In The Long Grass which is sounding really good.
Seeing them in Brighton on Bank Holiday Monday :D 8) Just hoping they've got some copies of the LP with them.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

No James, bought it digitally, but will pick up the vinyl next Sat hopefully.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

The Duke Spirit "Wounded Wing " from the album "Kin" this track guesting Mark Lanegan on vocals. Haunting.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Oasis ! FFs whats wrong with me? i cannot stand them.

for some reason have found myself drawn to Definitely Maybe ( which I don't think I've listened to for about 20 years ) and some live shows from '94. a fair amount of novelty in there but have been enjoying a handful of tracks. the album *sounds* amazing actually. great job from Owen Morris.

jesus.
Martin L
Known user

Post by Martin L »

Pauw - Macrocosm Microcosm
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

The aircon
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

A lot of Lou Reed and Teenage Fanclub, also the first manics album this afternoon.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

I'm listening to what I consider the greatest cover of all time, Isaac Hayes' unsurpassable rendition of By The Time I Get To Phoenix:

My good lady is unwell in bed, but our wonderfully gorgeous new kitty cat is keeping me company. She's a rescued stray, but after only a couple of days in her new home she's following us around from room to room, sleeping on our laps and purring at every stroke and cuddle :D
Attachments
13331036_10154114028236285_850569113766331288_n.jpg
13331036_10154114028236285_850569113766331288_n.jpg (115.42 KiB) Viewed 16844 times
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Psychic Ills new one Inner Journey Out is sounding pretty good, 3rd listen since Friday and its really suiting this early summer heat wave we`re experiencing in Scotland.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Lots of Stephen Stills, particularly the Manassas stuff.

But I also played a few bits of that Psychic Ills album and enjoyed that too.

I heard you Scots were enjoying prolonged weather - we've had 2 splendid days in Yorkshire but I think it's going to change...
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

wonderful
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Gang of Four- Return the Gift

strange one, this. it acts as a kind of a greatest hits. but what actually happened is they went into the studio to rerecord new versions. it serves two purposes- as a way to sell the songs without giving their old record company royalties- and as a way to rectify what they saw as poor production on the early stuff.
it does rock, that's for sure. infact it almost rocks too much- the drums sound huge and the guitars are pin sharp. kinda loses some of that lofi postpunk flavour.
what a great band though. the way everything interlocks and plays off each other. the guitar playing is quite minimalist but shit hot. Marxism you can dance too :)
I just ordered Entertainment! to get the original versions.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Making up for the non-summer we are experiencing.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

Julianna Barwick- 'Nepenthe'
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

TBF, been drinking most of the day, been on 24 hr call for a weekend this point I`m listening to EATBM - Ocean Rain at a hell of a volume, thank f#ck my house is detatched what a brace of songs they came up with here, no wonder Macca was calling it the best album of all time,
green-field
New user

Post by green-field »

Been listening to Slowdive lately... Good stuff and they are sure more popular now than back in 90s.

mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Alpha Stone - Stereophonic Pop Art Music

Apart from a cursory listen to The Darkside fifteen years ago, I've never really listened to Bassman's post-Sp3 work. Spinning this now courtesy of Youtube, and it's proving a very pleasant listen thus far :D
Martin L
Known user

Post by Martin L »

Sonic Youth - Teenage Riot
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Five Thirty's output.

Five Thirty revival starts here!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

The debut album by Desert Mountain Tribe - Either That Or The Moon, kinda Black Angel/ BRMC/Verve vibe, been getting many plays the past two weeks, added to my `must see` list for the LPF weekend.
Claxie
New user

Post by Claxie »

Elliott Smith - Son of Sam !
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

niamhm wrote:The debut album by Desert Mountain Tribe - Either That Or The Moon, kinda Black Angel/ BRMC/Verve vibe, been getting many plays the past two weeks, added to my `must see` list for the LPF weekend.
that sounds right up my street- will have to check them out!

today I've been listening to Steve Gunn- Eyes on The Lines. it's superb, his best album yet I reckon. he can no longer be described as folk- everything is plugged in and full of rippling guitar lines. this would be perfect music for driving down a dusty American road.

this live performance of the opening track is brilliant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GUu4G9FNLc
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Some Sunsick day } Morgan Delt .
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

Viv Albertine - The Vermilion Border

Hearing this after reading her stunning book Clothes, Clothes, Clothes. Music, Music, Music. Boys, Boys, Boys.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Chicos De Nazca's Blowing Inside album... really brilliant psych from Chile/Berlin.

runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Laz69 wrote:Chicos De Nazca's Blowing Inside album... really brilliant psych from Chile/Berlin.
Yes! I love this too! The other albums are also pretty damn good. Isn't this guy part of Follakzoid and something to do with Psychedelic Schafferson Jetplane?
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Temples
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

This.
Documenta- Belfast drone pop.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

This evening I am mostly listening to Julian Cope's Jehovahkill, which is a stone cold all-time classic for the ages.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Neelum Blue by Saddar Bazaar (playing at Liverpool Psych Festival) from the album The Conference of the Birds.
Do I hear Shine a Light ?
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

mc wrote:This evening I am mostly listening to Julian Cope's Jehovahkill, which is a stone cold all-time classic for the ages.
One of my all time top 10 albums... fabulous.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

runcible wrote: Yes! I love this too! The other albums are also pretty damn good. Isn't this guy part of Follakzoid and something to do with Psychedelic Schafferson Jetplane?
I know a few of these bands have close ties but don't know if they share members. Really impressed with the lazy stoner psych style from Chile... Follakzoid, Psychedelic Schafferson Jetplane and La Hell Gang are all excellent too!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Been checking out the La Hell Gang album Thru Me Again, that is quality, looking forward to seeing them later this month, that Chicos De Nazca album is really good as well those 2 share at least one member, probably two, cool sounds though.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

niamhm wrote:Been checking out the La Hell Gang album Thru Me Again, that is quality, looking forward to seeing them later this month, that Chicos De Nazca album is really good as well those 2 share at least one member, probably two, cool sounds though.
A friend recommended this band. I must check it out.
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Came across this today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HTG7EqKGko

The Japanese Psychocandy??!!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

New TFC album...

I've struggled with some of TFC's more recent work, although Shadows was definitely a grower and i love that now. I can honestly say i rarely listen to any of the albums though very often nowadays (even though i still love it when they drop into a random playlist). So i'm trying to rediscover them again through the new album. Upon first hearing "I'm In Love" i just didn't like it. Absolutely nothing grabbed me and it it seemed to just lack direction (no pun intended!) All i could think of was "these guys can do so much better!". So here we go...

Album sounds well produced and the songs sound good but i'm just not getting drawn in by some of it. Still can't get into "I'm In Love" and there are a couple of other songs which don't have that instant WOW factor. Some really great guitar work on it, especially from Raymond but, and it pains me to say it, Norman's songs sound the weakest of the songwriting trio this time round. Nice use of organs and synths in all the right places (kudos to Dave McGowan).

I think Raymond has really stepped up on this one. His songs are inventive, intruiging and really rather gorgeous. In fact this is easily Raymond's best set of songs on a recent album. And there is a lot of great work by Dave on these too!

Gerry's song are as strong as ever and are easy to spot as soon as they start. All sunshine and beauty. Business as usual for him. Can't help but melt with the harmonies on his tracks too.

Hmmm... Norman. I'm struggling here. "I'm In Love" is upbeat and all jingly-jangly, but it just doesn't go anywhere or have that killer hook to grab me. When i first heard it, it just sounded bland and i'm not sure it was ideal as the album opener. The opener and "The Darkest Part Of The Night" are two of Norman's weakest and are probably the weakest tracks on the entire album. "Darkest Part..." sounds rather "same-y" with, again, a lack of hook to pull me in. The closer, "Connected To Life" is much better and is nicely placed as the closer.

So there you go... my tuppence worth. Curious to what others honestly think. I'm trying to be honest, but really open minded here too as falling out of love with a band who's music has been such a big part of your life is not something i really want to have to go through!
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree

Sounds more like a Cave/Ellis album .A very dark album.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

Radio for all you lovers of no hope
Shoulders back, smash it
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

https://osr-tapes.bandcamp.com/album/sp ... in-7-osr76

Black Bananas - Spyder Brain - like an overloaded splurge of electric Miles and 80's P funk. Tasty!
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

:)
Design.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

the new Early Years album is excellent, wearing their Harmonia influence on their sleeves , even more so than before!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Just finished listening to the new LP from The Warlocks, Tales from the Prolapse (or something similar). It is really, really poor. Some of the vocals and lyrics are laughably bad in places... :cry:
imbilly
Known user

Post by imbilly »

I can see some Sp3 influence... pretty psyched out. :o

https://0sinho.bandcamp.com
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

spunder wrote:the new Early Years album is excellent, wearing their Harmonia influence on their sleeves , even more so than before!
thanks for the hu....looking forward to this album sliding through the back door (yep, theres no letterbox on the front door) over the next week.
crikey!...hard to believe Im finally going to get to see these live in November :D
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Hamilton Leithauser & Rostam- A 1000 Times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9FILAkKinQ

Hamilton from the much missed Walkmen teaming up with a guy from Vampire Weekend. I'm not familiar with Vampire Weekend, but whatever they are doing seems to be working. what a fantastic song- Hamilton's solo album was a bit too Sinatra for me, this still has a bit of that at the beginning but also has all the power of The Walkmen :)
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

I am enjoying the new Goat album . I like it a lot.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

spunder wrote:I am enjoying the new Goat album . I like it a lot.
I can't get into the Goat LP. It has flutes and pan pipes and we operate a strictly no pan pipes rule here and frown upon any unnecessary use of the flute.* :D

I have been listening to The Heads a lot recently. Tilberg is currently playing rather loudly. It is a beast. 8)

* Defined as anywhere other than Spacemen 3 and Spiritualized records.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

olan wrote:
I can't get into the Goat LP. It has flutes and pan pipes and we operate a strictly no pan pipes rule here and frown upon any unnecessary use of the flute.* :D
Ha ha! Brilliant! Agreed 100% on pan pipes. When I hear those South American buskers with pan pipes I have to rush past. Even worse is that apparent 'relaxation' music they play in spas which has wall-to-wall pan pipes. After a minute of that I feel more stressed than ever...
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

spunder wrote:I am enjoying the new Goat album . I like it a lot.
I`m with you, after initial reservations - mostly about pan pipes tbf - I`m enjoying it a lot as well.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

oh I remember the pan pipe craze in the 90s- pan pipe arrangements of pop hits of the day :D
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

New Moon Duo track http://www.thefader.com/2016/11/01/moon ... -cold-fear

"Cold Fear," a haunting, exhilarating song with hints of '80s minimal electro no wave. Over email, Johnson told The FADER that the track "is about primal fear, like drowning, or falling endlessly in a nightmare. It's a creeping, striking feeling that is also a real rush. It makes you feel alive.”

http://www.self-titledmag.com/2016/11/0 ... ure-vol-1/
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

johnnyboy wrote:New Moon Duo track http://www.thefader.com/2016/11/01/moon ... -cold-fear

"Cold Fear," a haunting, exhilarating song with hints of '80s minimal electro no wave. Over email, Johnson told The FADER that the track "is about primal fear, like drowning, or falling endlessly in a nightmare. It's a creeping, striking feeling that is also a real rush. It makes you feel alive.”

http://www.self-titledmag.com/2016/11/0 ... ure-vol-1/
Liking this, plus a Saturday night gig in the diary for next yr and a new album, this kinda news makes my day, now if only Spiritualized would do the same ..

Also, Psychic Ills - Inner Journey Out, such a fine album, Spzretents lukewarm live review is making me wary but I think I`ll go see them later this month anyway.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

niamhm wrote:

Also, Psychic Ills - Inner Journey Out, such a fine album, Spzretents lukewarm live review is making me wary but I think I`ll go see them later this month anyway.
It is very possible I caught them on an off night. I had heard great things about them live. Perhaps my expectations were unrealstic?
Dont let my opinion keep you from going.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Primus
2003-11-08
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

After being utterly steamrollered by the new Trainspotting 2 trailer, I had to look up the astonishing song driving it:

Wolf Alice - Silk

I'd heard of them before, but never any music until now. Further proof, if any was ever needed, that today's genuinely popular (in terms of high chart position) music can be utterly wonderful :)
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

Hope Sandoval & the Warm Inventions- 'Until the Hunter'

Been waiting for this one for quite a while. I've only listened to half of it so far, but it's managing to surpass my expectations. Everything Hope's done up to this point hasn't strayed too far outside of what you'd expect from Mazzy Star, but this one is very distinctive in her solo work and her work with Mazzy Star. The first track 'Into the Trees' is over nine minutes and incredibly atmospheric, but the lyrics get fairly specific. The two singles preceding it are a pretty good indication of the stylistic range. The second song does sound like a Mazzy Star song that didn't make it onto 'Seasons of Your Day.' I guess what's always been so great about Hope's solo work and Mazzy Star is how there's really nothing wrong with that fact at all.
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

joan baez - here's to you : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9DsWSgkLTc
a mantra
"Thank you"
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

CHRIS LOW's POST-PUNK "MEMORABILIA MIX" Dec. 2016

https://www.mixcloud.com/chrislow1/chri ... -dec-2016/

TRACKS: Gun Club – Sex Beat / Gang of Four – Damaged Goods / Punishment Of Luxury – Puppet life / Magazine – I love you, you big dummy / Siouxsie & The Banshees – Monitor / Stereolab - Crest / Swell Maps – Let's build a car / Abwaarts – Computerstaat / CCCP - Live in Pankow / Cabaret Voltaire - Nag nag nag / Tuxedomoon – No tears / Alternative TV- Lost In A Room / Zounds – Can't cheat karma / Spizz Energi – Soldier, soldier / Delta 5 – Mind your own business / A Certain Ration – Shack up / Au Pairs – It's obvious / Wire – The 15th / Grauzone – Eizbar / Soft cell – Memorabilia / The Slits - Heard it through the grapevine / Liquid Liquid – Cavern / Lizzy Mercier Descloux - Fire
Design.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Oh, it's been awhile...
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

FM Spaceman wrote:Spiritualized Lazer Guided Melodies ...

xx xx ...
It always delights me when you post this.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

mc
Known user

Post by mc »

It's very late. I'm 36 today (technically yesterday I suppose, but I've not been to bed yet), I've set up my wonderful wife's IV fluids for the night, I've got some good beer by my side and I've just spend the best part of £100 on new music. For all of that, I'm listening to Lazer Guided Melodies, because sometimes nothing else will do. It's been with me for more than half of my life; favourites come and go, and I still devour both new and old music at a voracious rate my finances can ill afford, but I seriously doubt anything will ever supplant LGM as the most wonderful album in existence. So on that note, happy Xmas and NY, fellow Spz lovers and friends :)
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Sounds like you are in a very stressful situation. I wish you both the very best. It helps put things in the proper perspective.
Sometimes nothing works likes music you love. Nothing.
Sit back and enjoy. Sounds like you have earned it.
Happy Birthday, Happy Holidays and a very Happy & more importantly Healthy New Year.