What Are You Listening To Now?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

mc
Known user

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

Post by mc »

spzretent wrote:Sounds like you are in a very stressful situation. I wish you both the very best. It helps put things in the proper perspective.
Sometimes nothing works likes music you love. Nothing.
Sit back and enjoy. Sounds like you have earned it.
Happy Birthday, Happy Holidays and a very Happy & more importantly Healthy New Year.
Thanks Alan, I really appreciate your good wishes. Life has been abomninably stressful since summer, but after eighteen long weeks my wife is finally home from hospital again. We've both been trained to do the nursing aspects of the 24/7 care she needs, which is a different kind of stress, albeit one I'm hugely thankful I can take on. After a brief scare this evening that thankfully resolved itself before a hospital trip was required, she's happily asleep and I have beer, new whisky and new music to consume before bed. Another happy Xmas and NY to you and everyone else, because you all deserve it :)

PS. What am I listening to now?

SubRosa - For This We Fought The Battle Of Ages, which I've just bought and is utterly bewitching: epic, melancholy, horizon-spanning violin-driven (!) doom metal that fans of Mogwai and GY!BE's heavier output should find most enjoyable...
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Widespread Panic

1996-06-07
The Warfield
San Fransisco, CA

Good stuff.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Have given myself a 2017 target of listening to (via either ipod, turntable or cd) 1000 albums from start to finish.
I figured I was doing too much skipping through, shuffling and far too much buying without giving the albums enough airtime.

I am 25 albums in thus far and thoroughly enjoying it, listening to such a varied amount of stuff (naturally keeping a log of everything I listen to) but also making time for more listening which is effectively what buying all this stuff is surely all about.
I may or may not list each months listening but to be honest doubt anybody would be overly interested.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Pink Floyd - The Early Years boxset

Could never afford to splash out on the physical item, but was sent a digital copy of this set and, to my ears, its nothing shot of fabulous. Not sure if real Floyd afficienados think so highly of it, and they may well have already heard the live shows that are included, but it has opened up a whole different side of Floyd that i have not immersed myself in for a very long time.

Was always a fan, especially the earlier years, but was only really familiar with the studio albums and a few of the more common live things, but this set has really opened my eyes to the fabulous live shows they put on back then. There are songs on this that i wold never have expected to hear live and the live show from Amsterdam is just incredible. Labelled "The Man, The Journey", this live show from '69 is just fuckin incredible! Its not just a show and a batch of songs - its, as the title suggests, a journey through so much more... a discover... an adventure... a suite of music that almost projects a story. I'm sure many hardcore fans will have heard similar things from other shows, but this has really blown my mind. Shows why Pink Floyd were one of the best psychedelic bands of that era.

The superb BBC sessions with John Peel are equally good. There is a version of One Of These Days which has just become my ultimate version after thinking the Pompeii version was my definitive version for many years. Again, lots of songs that i haven't really heard other than on the studio releases, and its like hearing them for the first time all over again. The out takes/non-album tracks from the More and Zabriskie Point soundtracks are also really good, and we have the stereo version of the Live AT Pompeii too which also sounds great - it has a heavier sound to it.

Anyways, enough rambling... if you can afford the price tag, go get it... if not, try and track it down online. You won't regret it.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I got the box set (after much soul searching....and lying to the missus, who took delivery !!)
Its as Laz states quite superb, as I hadn't heard the majority of it before. The sound quality is awesome and I'm nowhere near a 1/3 of the way through.
Olan mentioned to me there had been a few issues with non playing Blu Rays etc, but I checked the problem discs first and they played fine so maybe I was lucky.
Its great anyway and I'm heading into anothher disc tonight
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Aquarian-Time wrote:Have given myself a 2017 target of listening to (via either ipod, turntable or cd) 1000 albums from start to finish.
I figured I was doing too much skipping through, shuffling and far too much buying without giving the albums enough airtime.

I am 25 albums in thus far and thoroughly enjoying it, listening to such a varied amount of stuff (naturally keeping a log of everything I listen to) but also making time for more listening which is effectively what buying all this stuff is surely all about.
I may or may not list each months listening but to be honest doubt anybody would be overly interested.
sounds like an idea for a blog to me! :)
That's less than 3 albums a day which is doable. particularly if you drive a lot for work (get the ipod cranked up)
I know it can be hard to give albums the attention they deserve. my attention span has been decimated by the internet but I think I have good listening habits (play all the way through etc).
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

I'm enjoying the new Ulrich Schnauss and Jonas Munk collaboration:

http://www.astrangelyisolatedplace.com/ ... nk-passage

I'm surprised because after the last Ulrich Strauss album I had given up on him and vowed not to buy another of his records. I didn't enjoy it "No further ahead than today" at all, neither the one before or his two albums with Mark Peters (bit dull really). But liking this new track.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

stegraham wrote:I'm enjoying the new Ulrich Schnauss and Jonas Munk collaboration:

http://www.astrangelyisolatedplace.com/ ... nk-passage

I'm surprised because after the last Ulrich Strauss album I had given up on him and vowed not to buy another of his records. I didn't enjoy it "No further ahead than today" at all, neither the one before or his two albums with Mark Peters (bit dull really). But liking this new track.
Cool, I will check this out. I haven't listened to Manual in ages, but I have his Golden Sun and Azure Vista albums.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Trembling Bells- The Sovereign Self

a great recent discovery for me. one of those bands where I'm thinking " how did I not find them sooner?!" kinda folky in an olde worlde english way but then there's some trippyness with clean rippling guitars which is right up my alley. methinks I will be investigating more..
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Freelovebabies- Both CD's. Back to back.
Followed by:
Sonic Boom- Spectrum, Soul Kiss & High Lows.... Back to back to back.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

spzretent wrote:Freelovebabies- Both CD's. Back to back.
Fabulous records. Always a joy to listen to.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Feral Ohms.. yet more great stuff from Ethan Miller of Comets on Fire. they released a live album last year and the studio debut is coming soon

https://soundcloud.com/feral-ohms
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Hills - s/t debut album released on Cardinal Fuzz a few weeks back, really terrific stuff,
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

"play fucking loud!"
O P 8
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Lots of obscure(ish) late 60s/early 70s stuff. The Grease Band, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Eire Apparent, Bo Grumpus. Some interesting bits and bobs for sure...
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

Kurt Vile - B'lieve I'm Goin Down...

I've now listened through Smoke Ring for my Halo, Wakin on a Pretty Daze and this one. He's the first new artist I've gotten into in awhile.
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

"a dub track which aside from being something of an ambient reggae experiment, also acted as the blueprint for The Specials’ 'Ghost Town' track"
http://marcoonthebass.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... -rock.html
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

All things Swearing At Motorists at the minute along with some Smog/Bill Callahan (not putting a smiley face as not really appropriate) but good stuff all the same :!:
'Remember, change is not good'
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Experimental Audio Research - Worn To A Shadow

For those put off by the more obtuse, outre aspects of Sonic's career (me, I love it all), this relatively recent release is definitely one of the more mellow, bright, tuneful E.A.R. records. Fans of "Mesmerised" will find much to enjoy here.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

mc wrote:Experimental Audio Research - Worn To A Shadow

For those put off by the more obtuse, outre aspects of Sonic's career (me, I love it all), this relatively recent release is definitely one of the more mellow, bright, tuneful E.A.R. records. Fans of "Mesmerised" will find much to enjoy here.
I love this record. Have heard it once before and its just so lovely and "mesmerising" like you say... much more accessible than some of his other EAR work (i love it all anyway!)

Have never seen the disc actually being played, so until i can afford to pick up a copy, this will do :D
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Broadcast & The Focus Group- Investigate Witch Cults of the Radio Age

I really like this album and recently had the inkling to dig deeper into this whole 'hauntology' thing, this type of music is strange and transporting. ordered a Ghost Box compilation thing.
Martin L
Known user

Post by Martin L »

Jagwar Ma - Every Now And Then
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Have been dusting off some Sonic Boom related items. Feels so good, indeed.

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Billy Cobham- Spectrum

as with most jazz fusion, a mixed bag on this but some amazing moments too.
it's notable for a couple of reasons- Tommy Bolin (later of Deep Purple) on guitar duties, and it's where Massive Attack sampled the beat for 'Safe From Harm'
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Robag Wruhme - Elämä on pitkä hiljainen joki. Elu on pikk vaikne jõgi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKulS_ZaFS0

https://www.discogs.com/Robag-Wruhme-Po ... se/4249913
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Last 2 days the Temples new album, liked the psychedelic pop of the last album but this one seems to have moved in a more proggy/Tame Impala direction, a few really great psych/ pop tunes at the start and finish but the middle 5/6 tunes just nseem to pass in a samey/meh blur, will persevere as the good ones are cracking pop.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Best sounding vinyl I have heard in like forever!
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

SO good!

Design.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

MODLAB wrote:SO good!
I've been enjoying Dark Vol I so much that I've started to worry I may not like the Light side very much, but this certainly sounds promising :)

In anticipation of tonight's Grails gig, and providing some interesting background to what's influenced Chalice Hymnal:
Emil Amos' Drifter's Sympathy - EPISODE 16 - *SLEAZY LISTENING*
https://www.art19.com/shows/emil-amos-d ... d66a9787f1
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

new Spectres album is streaming. I know there's a few fans on the board. seems quite similar to the first album on initial listen

http://thequietus.com/articles/21953-sp ... bum-stream
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

New Six Organs of Admittance album. It's quite superb, more song based than previous efforts and a lovely folky/psych groove running through. Some nice melodic touches as well. A real return to form
debased
Known user

Post by debased »

Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs - Feed the Rats

Aside from Om and Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats, I don't listen to many heavy/stoner type bands, but I do like this group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th4gnbSFjU4
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Aquarian-Time wrote:New Six Organs of Admittance album. It's quite superb, more song based than previous efforts and a lovely folky/psych groove running through. Some nice melodic touches as well. A real return to form
I keep meaning to buy this, still haven't got round to it yet! there's too much stuff coming out!!

I actually liked the Hexadic stuff for what it was, but I know what you mean. this sounds like a return to the sound we last heard on Asleep on The Floodplain
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9oTLSFApsM

Damaged Bug - Bunker Funk - side project from the murky spaceship mind of John "Thee Oh Sees" Dwyer. Had it on heavy rotation the past week or so and it's a proper little delight, a step up from his last one Cold Hot Plumbs. The boundaries between the 'Bug and 'Oh Sees are becoming blurry.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

On vinyl at very high volume 8) .
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

The new Blown Out release, Superior Venus, the vinyl was damn sold out at the label Riot Season and bands Bandcamp pages, which was crap, so I had to make do with a digital purchase, hopefully, pick up a copy if there are any shop returns but man this is massive, two giant slabs of driving, intense, space rock, these guys ain't f#ckin` about.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Saw Blown Out in Brighton last week Niamh and they were incredible. Really nice lads too. I had the pleasure of putting out a track by them on a compilation last year:-

http://dronerockrecords.com/shop/magnet ... nge-vinyl/

They are prolific and seem to release 2 or 3 records a year. If you're desperate for a copy of Superior Venus I think Resident Records still has some:-

http://www.resident-music.com/productde ... t_id=46702
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'm really enjoying the Blown Out album too. Nice slab of heavy psych. Some great stuff coming out from Riot Season recently including Hibushibire (Japanese psych very much in the Acid Mothers Temple mould). They have repressed that one so it's possible that the Blown Out may also get the same treatment. They are also putting out the new Cosmic Dead.

What I did was order some promo CDs you can get from the Riot Season site. Actually cheaper than a download and at least I get something physical.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Lo-fi ramshackle vibes from Meth Teeth https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1DHrdsgy08. Quite a hard band to Google though if you don't like seeing photos of meth heads bad teeth crop up. Their album Everything Went Wrong was something I picked up in a 2nd hand shop for about a fiver a few years ago, taking my fancy because it was on Woodsist and because they were called Meth Teeth.
Very lo-fi recording but I'd love to play guitar like that. Great band.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground and Nico

Just read the whole RIP Lou Reed thread as well as the allmusic.com bio on him. He was quite a unique, march to the beat of his own drum, individual. Tonight was the first time I listened to him, solo or as part as the VU. I can see that he influenced Spacemen 3 and Spiritualized, at least I can hear some similarities. I like it so far, but I can't tell yet if he'll become someone I keep coming back to. It's rare I find someone new that really I get into, but just recently I discovered Kurt Vile and Follakzoid, so it can happen. I keep my eyes and ears open on this forum especially and a few other places around the web.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Just heard this in the grocery store. Boy! It's been awhile.
Think I'll be listening to as much Little River Band today as possible.
Good stuff.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNgXpoN ... &t=2h13m6s

SPZ GLASTO 93.

SOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOD!
Design.
good times
Known user

Post by good times »

MODLAB wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNgXpoN ... &t=2h13m6s

SPZ GLASTO 93.

SOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOD!
Thank you so much for this link!

Never knew this even exist, just wow! I listened this bootleg from Let It Flow EP countless times but this is the first time i see a video and even a interview. WOW.

Thank you!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Am I right in thinking the Orb "headlined the other stage back in 1993 but Spiritualized came on after as a kind of "come down" band or I heard/read that wrong?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Shinesalight wrote:Am I right in thinking the Orb "headlined the other stage back in 1993 but Spiritualized came on after as a kind of "come down" band or I heard/read that wrong?
Pretty sure The Orb played early evening. Can't remember which stage. Spiritualized closed Sunday night on the 2nd stage for sure. I saw both. Spiritualized were superb. The Orb almost sent me to sleep.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

My recollection is that The Orb headlined NME Stage on the Saturday night, Spiritualized headlined the same stage on Sunday.

Massive crowd for The Orb, at one point I was just carried along in a sea of people, pity anyone trying to go in the opposite direction!
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

good times wrote:
MODLAB wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNgXpoN ... &t=2h13m6s

SPZ GLASTO 93.

SOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOD!
Thank you so much for this link!

Never knew this even exist, just wow! I listened this bootleg from Let It Flow EP countless times but this is the first time i see a video and even a interview. WOW.

Thank you!

Very welcome.
Design.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I love how the jarring out-of-tune guitar riff repeats and continues to deviate from western harmonic expectations. Just as how the character of the song's subject has been consistently questionable, the music follows...
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

Just finishing listening to I'm Your Man, Let's Dance, and The Morning After from Spiritualized' 2013 Chicago show. I wonder if any of these will be on the new album.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Been listening to a LOT of Paperhead this last few days in preparation of FINALLY seeing them in Glasgow next Friday. I interviewed them for the release of their last album and have love them since i was introduced to their debut many many years ago. These teenagers put out a debut album that Syd Barrett would have been proud of but all their albums have been great.

beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

New FADS - Beatlemania!

https://youtu.be/hoSUqBuVpyo
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Moon Duo stint on NTS last month
https://www.mixcloud.com/NTSRadio/moon- ... arch-2017/

Plenty of us mentioned how good their recent shows have been in the brudenell and other venues, over the past couple of weeks...heres the third track in a couple of us were on about.
Mighty stuff!

https://youtu.be/KQPa2Y7Obss?t=956
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I think ideally you have to experience Moon Duo in the flesh.. I thought one of the best things about the show was the sheer physical impact of it, like all the best gigs you could feel it in your body!

right now I'm listening to the first Soft Machine album.. it's still sounding pretty much unique and perfect!
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

angelsighs wrote:I think ideally you have to experience Moon Duo in the flesh.. I thought one of the best things about the show was the sheer physical impact of it, like all the best gigs you could feel it in your body!

I totally agree with you.
Dont get me wrong, the post is nostalgia based for those that were there, just like Nam. or those with a set of headphones, some volume (as opposed to playing youtube clips back on a phone) a spare ten minutes, and one can get the jist of just how good their latest gigs can be.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote:I think ideally you have to experience Moon Duo in the flesh.. I thought one of the best things about the show was the sheer physical impact of it, like all the best gigs you could feel it in your body!
I was just listening to Occult Architecture Vol.1 and came to the same conclusion. I will always go see them live but I find myself increasingly un-engaged by their recorded output. Bits of their records are great, other bits are naff and some of it is just a feeling of "Ripley mumbles, here's a crap drum, now the solo."

Currently enjoying Ecstatic Vision 'Raw Rock Fury'.
You like early Hawkwind? Early Monster Magnet? The Stooges? You do? Then this is the album for you. Four songs over 35-odd minutes from a band who sound like they actually have done some drugs at some point in their life. Probably in the past five minutes. Play LOUD.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Another absolute gem from Dom Martin's Polytechnic Youth label.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Moon Duo - Occult Architecture Vol.2: Forget what I said about Vol.1 'cos this is beautiful, best thing they've done in years. No crap drum sounds, not too many of those key changes that infuriate me so much. It's an altogether more mellow, light direction. One which they should pursue further. 'Mirror's Edge' screams David Holmes at me; effortlessly cool and funky it makes me want to trip in the sunshine, or conjures images of people waving arms in the air swaying gently to a beautiful new dawn. The last track 'Crystal World' could be something lost in the vaults from the LGM or Soul Kiss sessions :D 8)

White Hills - Stop Mute Defeat: They seem to be heading in the same post-punk direction as Gnod but not as harsh. Really enjoyed it, the title track reminds me of The Chemical Brothers.

The Black Angels - Death Song: Another good album. 'Stadium Psych' i'll call it and I don't mean that in a derogatory manner. It's just got such a large, full sound and one that could appeal to a wider audience but probably never will. Whereas Indigo Meadow felt like a conscious attempt to commercialise a bit this doesn't, its much more like the first two albums but bigger sounding.

Gnod - Just Say No...: Good, but not quite the assault I was expecting and hoping for. Just wish it was heavier and harder. That's not to say it isn't but it could be more so.

Pigsx7 - Feed The Rats: Same as above. The elements are there, Sabbath, Monster Magnet, but doesn't wallop quite like it should. I've no doubt that live both albums would definitely do the required damage.

Gnoomes - Tschak! : Bit more electronic than Ngan but none the worse for it. Danceable shoegaze?

Julie's Haircut - Invocation and Ritual Dance of my Demon Twin: Keeping up the high standard for today. Can grooves with a bit of jazzyness and some psych meandering. Decent.

Feral Ohms - S/T: It's a lot more RAWK than I was expecting. All previous material i'd heard was a full-on sonic psych assault but this was, different I suppose. Maybe it was the production or I wasn't in the humour but it lacked the bonkersness of the singles.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Was all that listening today sunray? Looks like you've been busy

I've had a first listen to the new Black Angels also and really liked it on first impression. Some tracks were a little Black Angels by numbers but on the whole great mix of droning riffs and some moments of beauty.

I am keen to check out the Feral Ohms too. I like pretty much everything Comets related (apart from Howlin Rain which is a bit soft) indications do seem to be that it's damn heavy but much more on the short sharp punky vibe
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Over and over...
Attachments
IMG_2337.JPG
IMG_2337.JPG (73.06 KiB) Viewed 20040 times
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Jesus...20 years since this was released :shock: I miss dancing in fields with like minded souls.

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Trees- The Gardens of Jane Delwaney

wow, this album is seriously good. it's really impressed me on first listen. acid folk with songs that sound superbly intricate. melodic basslines and stinging lead lines over rippling acoustic guitars. if you like Fairport Convention et al you have to check this out