What Are You Listening To Now?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

angelsighs
Known user

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

Post by angelsighs »

olan wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:29 pm
angelsighs wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:45 am [snip]...such as the very rare Maria Kapel which I recall Olan (I think) raving about on the board. [snip]...
By far and away favourite SOoA LP and the one I tend to reach for when it is time to listen to them.
well Olan you were right about Maria Kapel, it's a beautiful record indeed. it reminds me of the more lyrical and pretty finger picking style he had on For Octavio Paz. sublimely recorded as well.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:16 pm
olan wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:29 pm
angelsighs wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:45 am [snip]...such as the very rare Maria Kapel which I recall Olan (I think) raving about on the board. [snip]...
By far and away favourite SOoA LP and the one I tend to reach for when it is time to listen to them.
well Olan you were right about Maria Kapel, it's a beautiful record indeed. it reminds me of the more lyrical and pretty finger picking style he had on For Octavio Paz. sublimely recorded as well.
It is the beauty of the music and the astonishing recording that gets me with this. You can actually hear the acoustics of the Maria Kapel (and sometimes a sigh either from the audience or Ben) which makes for a beautiful atmosphere. A really, really delicate and fragile record but one well worth persuing. Needless to say the LP is even better as an experience.

Also, something of a first for me to be accused of being right about anything. Stop that please, it will upset my equilibrium if it happens again.... :) :)
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

4/5 hrs in at work then home for a late lunch and some music,

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing, an old music journo flamed it on twitter, just had to listening to it again, he`s tweeting bullshit, its still great
Les Big Byrd - Iran Iraq Ikea, late to the party with these guys, quite enjoying this album though,
La Hell Gang - Thru Me Again,
Lovely Eggs - I Am Moron, this will go down as my "Lockdown" soundtrack in time I think, listened to it loads very catchy, punky, fun and garagey I suppose, produced by Dave Friedman, again I though they were kinda newish but turns out this is their 11th album!!! Still bloody good though :lol:
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

niamhm wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:24 pm Lovely Eggs - I Am Moron, this will go down as my "Lockdown" soundtrack in time I think, listened to it loads very catchy, punky, fun and garagey I suppose, produced by Dave Friedman, again I though they were kinda newish but turns out this is their 11th album!!! Still bloody good though :lol:
I think they're even older than you Gary! :lol: Was supposed to be seeing them in a few weeks but since rescheduled for September.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

olan wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:58 pm Also, something of a first for me to be accused of being right about anything. Stop that please, it will upset my equilibrium if it happens again.... :) :)
there's a quote about a 'stopped clock' which is springing to mind ;)
but yeah, definitely a beautiful record. will have to go on the physical wishlist when i have a few more quid in my pocket
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:13 pm
olan wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:58 pm Also, something of a first for me to be accused of being right about anything. Stop that please, it will upset my equilibrium if it happens again.... :) :)
there's a quote about a 'stopped clock' which is springing to mind ;)
but yeah, definitely a beautiful record. will have to go on the physical wishlist when i have a few more quid in my pocket
The chances of me being right about anything twice in a day....pfffffft.. :lol:
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

The Strokes - The New Abnormal, pretty apt title no? Been liking this a lot more than I thought I would, not liked a Strokes album since Room On Fire

Pigs x 7 - Viscerals, liked the singles leading into this but kinda struggling to get into this.

Sonic Youth - Sisters, maybe my fav Youth album

The Cult - Sonic Temple & Love, Billy Duffy did one of those Tim Burgess listening parties on twitter for Love - very good it was too - round about the time someone I know was flaming Sonic Temple, I think I like in order Electric, Sonic Temple and then Love,
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

The Real Complete Works... :D 8)

And the initial mixes of the new Slipstream album :D :D :D :D :D
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I know there's at least a couple of other Twilight Sad fans on the board. they've released a live album as 'pay what you want'. properly mixed and sounding powerful, this is no 'just take it straight from the soundboard' jobbie

https://thetwilightsad.bandcamp.com/alb ... -time-live

if was nitpicking I would rather a setlist not so focused on the most recent album (not my favourite)- and perhaps more from the underrated 3rd one. but great nonetheless.
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

Today and yesterday:
Bobby Charles - Street people
Eat lights become light - Live
Caetano Veloso - Tropical
Frieder Butzmann - in Bunte Flügel
Spectrum - Soul kiss
V/a - The World of Keith Haring
"Thank you"
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

angelsighs wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:08 pm I know there's at least a couple of other Twilight Sad fans on the board. they've released a live album as 'pay what you want'. properly mixed and sounding powerful, this is no 'just take it straight from the soundboard' jobbie

https://thetwilightsad.bandcamp.com/alb ... -time-live

if was nitpicking I would rather a setlist not so focused on the most recent album (not my favourite)- and perhaps more from the underrated 3rd one. but great nonetheless.
Was supposed to be seeing them last Thurday, currently rescheduled for mid -Sept but I can see that being moved again, so this makes a nice way to tide us over, and yes it sounds great, massive, hope it makes it to vinyl at some point as well.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

niamhm wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:51 pm
Was supposed to be seeing them last Thurday, currently rescheduled for mid -Sept but I can see that being moved again, so this makes a nice way to tide us over, and yes it sounds great, massive, hope it makes it to vinyl at some point as well.
Yeah it was cool of them to release the album on the same day that that gig was to take place. Acknowledges how gutting it is for both parties. Yeah I think it will probably be moved again unfortunately.
The next gigs that take place after all this is over will be extra euphoric I reckon!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The new Mogwai soundtrack, ZeroZeroZero, is out today via Bandcamp with pay-what-you-can pricing. 1/2 of the proceeds are going to Help Musicians and NHS charities. Sounding great so far.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

TheWarmth wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:36 pm The new Mogwai soundtrack, ZeroZeroZero, is out today via Bandcamp with pay-what-you-can pricing. 1/2 of the proceeds are going to Help Musicians and NHS charities. Sounding great so far.
Thanks for that, i'd no idea they had a new album coming.

Mark Lanegan - Straight Songs of Sorrow: Had a listen this morning, thought it was ok. It ties in with his autobiography and maybe that's why it seems a little bitty, no flow to it as such imo.
What struck me most was how smooth his voice appears on a lot of the songs, which was something i personally found jarring. I mean, if the songs are about Lanegan's life, well then i want to hear the growl, the rasp, the inherent living that contributed to 'The Voice' rather than a soft croon.
Musically it covers all his bases really but some extra things going on too. Nothing drastic but a few flourishes that you mightn't normally get with his material. Further listening required.

Aside from the above, music has taken a back seat to reading this month. Predominantly nice weather since this whole thing started so the choice has been sit out in the sunshine (books) or spend time indoors (music)? Sunshine for me!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Thanks to that Teenage Superstars doc I have been listening to tons of Pastels, Vaselines, Eugenius etc.
Also for some reason Teardrop Explodes- Everybody Wants To Shag and The Piano CD.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I've gone back decades to stuff I played when I was a teen at school.

So yesterday and today has had a lot of Steve Hillage featured and I was surprised at how good it was. He is an amazing guitarist and the music - although totally hippified - sounds pretty fresh. And enjoyable. The Green album is excellent but I enjoyed Motivation Radio too. Then I stuck on Live Herald which eclipsed the other 2 and was worth it for the version of Searching For the Spark on its own.

Next up was Genesis - Selling England By The Pound. I used to love this lot when I was at school, at least the Gabriel years. Some of this sounds really dated but a few songs - Firth of Fifth in particular - stood out as the playing was so good. A few nice sounds, the fake cockney accents less so.

Peter Gabriel's 1st 4 solo albums did it for me 35 years ago too but I found these pretty patchy, but again with a few really good highlights.

What's next?! Wings? Some UK punk? Always good to revisit your historical obsessions of the past!
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

digging through some old CD's I've recovered from my old marital home ... Penthouse by Luna is pretty great. Melomania by Darkside so so. Stratosfear by Unisex (essentially the Telescopes (?) ) is ok ish. a load of E.A.R. too ...

the first album by Tess Parks and Anton Newcombe arrived in the post yesterday. sounds good. well, just like BJM really with female vox
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

runcible wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:52 am I've gone back decades to stuff I played when I was a teen at school.

So yesterday and today has had a lot of Steve Hillage featured and I was surprised at how good it was. He is an amazing guitarist and the music - although totally hippified - sounds pretty fresh. And enjoyable. The Green album is excellent but I enjoyed Motivation Radio too. Then I stuck on Live Herald which eclipsed the other 2 and was worth it for the version of Searching For the Spark on its own.
partial to a bit of System 7 too . might dig some out. remind myself of a skunk fuelled summer in the early 90's after exams when Planet Dog etc were quite big :-)
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

oh, my.
please take four minutes to hear this beautiful gem!

Dr. Buzzard’s Original Savannah Band
Sunshower

https://youtu.be/2inOfmFcz7A
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Having read of the sad death of John Prine I've been immersed in his music for the last day or so. His name was familiar before but - to my shame - I'd never listened to his stuff previously. I feel idiotic - this is prime country blues and bluegrass and it has real depth and emotion. I've been playing a load of live stuff - there is lots on Youtube - and the guy is not only a great performer, but has immense stage presence and humour. In light of his tragic CV19 death I also feel a real sense of sadness while listening to this music.

Stuff like this:
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

olan wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 1:58 pm Image
Listening now and, after upping the volume a good chunk, I'm loving it. If I was being greedy, I'd loved to have heard some treated guitar tear through some of the songs, but still a great return from Pete imo!
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Jane's Addiction

September 27, 1987
Rockefeller's,
Houston, TX

From the Teddy Ballgame Archive

Recording info; SBD > VHS > PCM

Transfer info; PCM > Sony PCM601esd (spdif out) > Marantz PMD661 recorder (spdif in) (emphasis decoded) > Nuendo > Wav 16/44

Digital Recording by anonymous
PCM provided by Ted Mattes
Transfer by Anonymous
Edited & Mastered with Adobe Audition by Joe Noel
April 17, 2020

The Players
- Perry Farrell; vocals
- Eric Avery; bass
- Stephen Perkins; drums
- Dave Navarro; guitar

Notes;
- "Walk This Way" tease before first encore.

- setlist -
t01 - intro
t02 - My Time
t03 - Whores
t04 - 1%
t05 - Idiots Rule
t06 - No One's Leaving
t07 - Ted, Just Admit It...
t08 - Pigs in Zen
t09 - Ain't No Right
t10 - Thank You Boys
t11 - Three Days
t12 - Ocean Size
t13 - [encore break]
t14 - Trip Away
t15 - [encore break]
t16 - Standing in the Shower... Thinking
t17 - outro

Total Run Time; 1:08.0
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Is that Jane’s Addiction set downloadable frome somewhere? #askingforafriend ;)
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
good dope/good fun
Known user

yeah.
It just popped up on zomb the other day.
zombtracker.the-zomb.com
If you can't get on there lemme know.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

As I'm working from home I'm playing music that's loose and I can get lost in as background rather than listen to closely. To my surprise I've really got into Phish. I can almost hear people's eyeballs rolling in horror. Well, as a Deadhead I can relate to a lot of the noodly stuff they play. So I found a load of jams on YouTube which are pretty good to work to I must say.

It was also really hot in Yorkshire over the weekend so once again I had to play Relatively Clean Rivers which is still the single greatest hot weather album I know. Not one for damp days or even to play at night, It needs harsh, hot sunshine on a boiling afternoon.

beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

good dope/good fun wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:35 am yeah.
It just popped up on zomb the other day.
zombtracker.the-zomb.com
If you can't get on there lemme know.
Thanks! But I can't sign in, the verification email doesn't come through, no matter what I try :roll:
If you can help out in another way...?
cheers!
good dope/good fun
Known user

Apparently it's been a while since I uploaded everything and I'm inept, but here should be everything for that Jane's show.
Only problem I encountered was creating one large file folder.
Everything is here, it's just all separated.
I'm sure someone else can bundle the whole thing if they wanted, but you should be able to grab it from here:

https://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/ASG ... asgY7Vy4WM

Let me know otherwise.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

good dope/good fun wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:22 pm Apparently it's been a while since I uploaded everything and I'm inept, but here should be everything for that Jane's show.
I'm sure someone else can bundle the whole thing if they wanted, but you should be able to grab it from here:

Let me know otherwise.
Yes! got ‘m. Thanks for your trouble! Will be enjoying this tonight, when the kid’s asleep.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

good dope/good fun wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:22 pm Apparently it's been a while since I uploaded everything and I'm inept, but here should be everything for that Jane's show.

Let me know otherwise.
Cheers man, always been a massive Jane`s fan, surprised this gig has them playing Three Days back in 87 though,
good dope/good fun
Known user

All good.
There are only really a handful of live Jane's shows out there that are really good audio quality.
Even a bunch of their SBD's are completely unbalanced.

I saw this one pop up recently and was excited because it was new to me.
My Time is a nice way to open and I love that song.
And yeah, you don't see too many sets with a Pigs in Zen and Three Days in the same set.
At first I thought the sound quality was gonna be sub-par, but I think once Dave gets his electric guitar patched in some point through Whores it all comes together.
Def one of the better sounding Jane's SBD's I've come across.
Glad you guys are liking it, as music should be passed along.
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

AURORA - All My Demons Greeting Me as a Friend

She is a Norwegian singer who I am discovering after watching a great interview with her on Records in my Life. So far so good.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I'm all over the place with my work soundtrack... I'm able to play music at really high volume which is great but my direction is fairly random.

2 days ago I was on the Flying Burrito Brothers. Then All Things Being Equal by Sonic Boom, which led to...

Sound of Confusion, which I played for the first time in ages yesterday. It only takes a couple of seconds for it to show it's magic. So good. Then a load of outtakes from PWF.

I played loads of Ween today which is pretty random in itself.

Now I'm listening to Electric Wizard - again premium volume - which took me by surprise, but that wall of intense distortion is a good working background.

No idea what's next...
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I'm also at work on my own, so music blaring out today we have had

R.E.M and Murmur
Spectrum-Soul Kiss
Grateful Dead- Europe 72...again
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Stumbled across Frankie Teardrop Dead - Plane Eclipse today. Really enjoying it. While working at home yesterday, I also listened to 'All Things....' twice, CD 2 of the reissue of the first House Of Love album, and a Glen Campbell compilation.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

A couple of late night pandemic whisky fueled Amazon purchases.
Verve- Urban Hymns box set. I forgot about how great a lot of these b-sides were. I still haven't made it to the reason I bought this. The live version of Stormy Clouds/Reprise from Manchester 1997.
Pale Saints- Comforts Of Madness 2x LP. Gorgeous 4AD remaster.
Sonic Boom- All Things....LP.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I was at that Verve gig in Manchester, what a night that was
Still on a Grateful a Dead trip, so just listened to Garcia, Self titled album from 71. Sublime
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Live Radiohead Black Session from 1993 this morning
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Aquarian-Time wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:23 pm Still on a Grateful a Dead trip,
:shock: When did this happen?!!! I recall one of the LPF's in Olan's, i suggested checking out the Long, Strange Trip doc if you'd even the tiniest interest in the Dead. You replied that you hadn't.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

sunray wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:12 pm
:shock: When did this happen?!!! I recall one of the LPF's in Olan's, i suggested checking out the Long, Strange Trip doc if you'd even the tiniest interest in the Dead. You replied that you hadn't.
Leave him alone Joycey, he was only a youngster back then.... :lol:
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Four-Calendar Café [2002 Remaster] by The Cocteau Twins as I type
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Haha you are indeed correct Joycey, alas it was that Documentary that sealed it. About a year ago I think, I do love a Rock doc/biopic type thing so my interest was held anyway, but the more i watched, the more it all made sense. Glad I did as I find them a great watch/listen. The key is to give it time. I do remember several members of the board having a discussion about the Dead and I delved into a couple of albums and it just didn't resonate, amazing what time can do for ones tastes
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

This morning's work soundtrack - U2 - 'Songs Of Innocence', First Aid Kit - Stay Gold, and Sigur Rós - Með Suð Í Eyrum Við Spilum Endalaust.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Aquarian-Time wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:15 am
Haha you are indeed correct Joycey, alas it was that Documentary that sealed it. About a year ago I think, I do love a Rock doc/biopic type thing so my interest was held anyway, but the more i watched, the more it all made sense. Glad I did as I find them a great watch/listen. The key is to give it time. I do remember several members of the board having a discussion about the Dead and I delved into a couple of albums and it just didn't resonate, amazing what time can do for ones tastes
:lol: Careful now, you could end up heading down the Jazz route :wink:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Aquarian-Time wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:15 am I do remember several members of the board having a discussion about the Dead and I delved into a couple of albums and it just didn't resonate, amazing what time can do for ones tastes
There aren't that many studio albums that really capture the Dead. I really only play American Beauty, Workingman's Dead and Wake of the Flood. All the other stuff I play is live, mostly either audience recordings or Dick's/Dave's Picks. And Europe '72 of course.

It took me decades to understand that band properly! And now I generally only play 69-74 (with a few exceptions but not many), but I have a ridiculous amount of stuff from that era. Glad you found the magic at last anyway!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I can vouch for that documentary- I was not a Dead fan (and infact still aren't really) but it certainly kept me interested. the sign of a good documentary I guess, that it can keep you watching even if you don't particularly like the subject matter. the band have a hell of a story to tell plus just that west coast psych era is interesting in itself.
I do get the impression that the band are a hard nut to crack. it's never really clicked for me, although in terms of studio albums I did get Anthem of The Sun fairly recently and that I quite like.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Erland Cooper - Skule Skerry, OMD - English Electric and a MOJO magazine cover CD (MOJO Presents Trojan Explosion) this afternoon
good dope/good fun
Known user

This is for Aqaurian-Time.
I was perusing bt.etree earlier and this was posted since it was 'On This Day in GD History.'
Downloaded it and glad I did.
Awesome sounding matrix.

Nice little side-note on it, Jerry teasing China Cat in NFA is pretty cool.
It wouldn't be until 6 months later that they break it out in full after not playing it since 1974.
Pretty cool tease in there though.

Grateful Dead
Winterland Arena
San Francisco, CA
June 8, 1977

*Matrix*

----------------------------------------------------
SBD:

Recording Info:
SBD -> Master Reel (7 inch Master Reels @ 7.5ips 1/2trk) -> Dat -> CD

Transfer Info:
CD -> EAC -> Samplitude v7.02 Profesional -> SHN
(3 Discs Audio / 2 Discs SHN)

Transferred and Edited By Charlie Miller
charliemiller87@earthlink.net
9/3/04

[Cuts]

The Other One from 12:41-13:08

Notes:
-- Thanks to Paul Scotton for the source discs.
-- Thanks to David Minches for the patch source upload.
-- Seamless transition between discs 2 and 3.

----------------------------------------------------
AUD(s):

1)
Source: AUD>MR>Reel>DAT>CD(s)>EAC>SHN
Recorded by Rob Bertrando with AKG D224s>Tandberg 10XD
DAT transfer info unknown

2) [Currently uncirculated]
AKG D220 > Tandberg 10X (7.5 ips); playback on
Technics 1506 > Sony R500 DAT > HHb CDR 850 > EAC >
wav > FLAC

Patch from middle of NFA chant to end of instrumental
break in GDTRFB:

AKG D220 > Tandberg 10X (mic preamp
only) > Sony TC158 > Tandberg 10X (reel @ 7.5 ips)

-----------------------------------------------------
Thank you to Charlie Miller for the SBD transfer,
to Rob Bertrando for recording the show and providing the AUD #2 transfer,
to Dave Winters for the AUD #1 transfer,
and to Mr. B. for help with the pitch correction.

Matrix by Hunter Seamons using Final Cut Pro (SHN & FLAC>AIFF>Final Cut>WAV>FLAC)
October 20, 2008

Set I
-----
d1t01 - New Minglewood Blues
d1t02 - Sugaree
d1t03 - Mexicali Blues
d1t04 - Row Jimmy
d1t05 - Passenger
d1t06 - Sunrise
d1t07 - Brown Eyed Women
d1t08 - It's All Over Now
d1t09 - Jack-A-Roe
d2t01 - Lazy Lightnin' ->
d2t02 - Supplication

Set II
-----
d2t03 - Bertha ->
d2t04 - Good Lovin'
d2t05 - Ramble On Rose
d2t06 - Estimated Prophet ->
d2t07 - Eyes Of The World ->
d2t08 - Drums ->
d3t01 - The Other One ->
d3t02 - Wharf Rat ->
d3t03 - Not Fade Away ->
d3t04 - Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad ->
d3t05 - Johnny B. Goode

Encore
------
d3t06 - Brokedown Palace
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

in lieu of the delayed arrival of my copy of the new Sonic Boom album I have rediscovered Pigeonhole by the NewFastAutomaticDaffodils

a corker of an album
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

SpEnCeR1 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:10 pm in lieu of the delayed arrival of my copy of the new Sonic Boom album I have rediscovered Pigeonhole by the NewFastAutomaticDaffodils

a corker of an album
Yes! Brilliant album! Criminally underrated band, the New FADS. Body Exit Mind is a true masterpiece, if you ask me.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Yesterday's morning was soundtracked by Nepathya - Aaina Jhal, McAlmont & Butler - The Sound Of [CD 2], Ulrich Schnauss & Jonas Munk - Epic and a live Icicle Works concert from 1986. Had a bit of 6 music on this morning for the first time in a few months as I've been enjoying delving into my own music. I also really miss Radcliffe & Maconie from weekday afternoons. Now listening to Iftin - Gabar ii Noqee & Other Tastes (some Somali funk from 1970) and then following recommendations here, I'll revisit Body Exit Mind from the New FADS. I do love Stockholm.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Went with a bit of a Sonic indulge this afternoon - 'All Things...' again, then his first solo album, then 'Highs, Lows...' which is criminally underrated I have to say!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I'm very much not an expert on Russian psychedelic music but Sula Bassana, who has many fans on this forum, certainly is.

He added a link to the 'Psych Fans' Facebook group yesterday. Turns out this whole EP is just $1 to download which is one of the best value transactions I've ever done!

This is quite excellent. Can't see folks here not enjoying it! Turn it up and drone out...

https://polskaradioone.bandcamp.com/album/ep
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

runcible wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:22 pm I'm very much not an expert on Russian psychedelic music but Sula Bassana, who has many fans on this forum, certainly is.

He added a link to the 'Psych Fans' Facebook group yesterday. Turns out this whole EP is just $1 to download which is one of the best value transactions I've ever done!

This is quite excellent. Can't see folks here not enjoying it! Turn it up and drone out...

99p well spent on some great Psych music. Once again this forum introduces me to some sounds I would probably never have found. Thankyou runcible for posting on here and bringing a smile in difficult times.
Recommended. Cheers.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

runcible wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:22 pm I'm very much not an expert on Russian psychedelic music but Sula Bassana, who has many fans on this forum, certainly is.

Yeah, I've got their self-titled LP (a trade with Sula if I remember correctly) and can highly recommend them. Sula Bassana is the man and for those of you into modern psych, and if you haven't done so already, you really need to check out his solo work and his albums with Electric Moon and Zone Six.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

That Russian lot are new to me too. Track 4 is where it's at!

Been listening to the two latest DRR releases by Eye Make The Horizon and Kombynat Robotron respectively. Both recommended for instrumental psych lovers. Although the former would have been better served by ditching the jazz wankery of track 3.

Oh yeah...just want to put my hand up for the New FADs fanclub here :)
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

sunray wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:42 pm That Russian lot are new to me too. Track 4 is where it's at!

Been listening to the two latest DRR releases by Eye Make The Horizon and Kombynat Robotron respectively. Both recommended for instrumental psych lovers. Although the former would have been better served by ditching the jazz wankery of track 3.

Oh yeah...just want to put my hand up for the New FADs fanclub here :)
Don't you know, 'Jazz wankery' is where its at in 2020 man :wink:

Thats reminded me of when I took my mate to see Spiritualized at the RFH for a L&G show and when they played 'The Individual' and 'No God, Only Religion' he turned to me and said "its a bit wanky isn't it!". :lol:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Shinesalight wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:41 pm Yeah, I've got their self-titled LP (a trade with Sula if I remember correctly) and can highly recommend them. Sula Bassana is the man and for those of you into modern psych, and if you haven't done so already, you really need to check out his solo work and his albums with Electric Moon and Zone Six.
I would go further than that and suggest that Zone Six's "Love Monster" LP is a masterpiece that is a good as anything released in the last 20 years.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Yup nothing wrong with jazz wankery I'll have you know, especially when mixed with psychedelic sounds! Good stuff of this ilk particularly seems to come from Scandinavia for some reason..
Luminescence
Known user

Post by Luminescence »

Ýard Act / 'the trapper's pelts'
Spiritualized / 'hey jane'
Fontaines D.C. / 'i don't belong'
The Wyches / 'cowboy'
Hey Jayne
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

the new album by Maserati is quite beefy.

struggling to get into the new Sonic Boom, but I am not giving up yet, hopefully it will click....been rinsing all previous efforts in a bid to set the stage.
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

Bitchin' bajas, they're pretty cool!
"Thank you"