What Are You Listening To Now?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Minky
Known user

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

Post by Minky »

Nowhere, which someone mentioned somewhere on here. Not working for me & not that big on this album, but this has nothing to do with Mark hitting on my girlfriend at the time. Fucker! Rather listen to Lush, who frankly blew them off the stage that night.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Lush - Scarlet...that's better!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

James Brown - 'There Was A Time', live 1967
O P 8
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

The Missus not too happy, big Ride - Nowhere fan. Ya see I'll take the 1st two ep's & b's on Leave 'em all behind and Twistrella over Nowhere. We have the ol creation cassette. But the cd of Nowhere has the extra tracks.??? The one with the Shark is my fav!!!, also on cassette.. Today....yeah great cut! That's what I'm listening to right now! Fuck Lush...wait? Yeah, Today by Ride!!!
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

Minky wrote:
Minky wrote:Fuck yeah, this works!!! My ears are tingling.

The Black Ryder - Let It Go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McvzQ-8G9EE
Stuck on this one...speak to me baby!!!!
ah, the black ryder- they are fantastic! that's an album i bought twice without even thinking twice about it.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Minky wrote:The Missus not too happy, big Ride - Nowhere fan. Ya see I'll take the 1st two ep's & b's on Leave 'em all behind and Twistrella over Nowhere. We have the ol creation cassette. But the cd of Nowhere has the extra tracks.??? The one with the Shark is my fav!!!, also on cassette.. Today....yeah great cut! That's what I'm listening to right now! Fuck Lush...wait? Yeah, Today by Ride!!!
those extra tracks on Nowhere are cream topping on an already superb cake!!
Today.. what a song! and love those drum fills on Unfamiliar :)

Grasshopper.. that's a beast of a song

will have to listen to Ride yet again tonight!
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

angelsighs wrote: those extra tracks on Nowhere are cream topping on an already superb cake!!
Today.. what a song! and love those drum fills on Unfamiliar :)
Loz', IMO, drumming had so much character...fun too watch too. Going Blank Again track...great drumming. Unfamiliar too. The drum fill in Leave Them All Behind at the 2;10 mark....sums it up!
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

the new Glasvegas song and it sux, like their other music. what was McGee thinking? he must have been on drugs again
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

burningwheel wrote:the new Glasvegas song and it sux, like their other music. what was McGee thinking? he must have been on drugs again
:lol:

When I saw them live in 2009, the only thing that really bothered me was the singer. ^^ Haven't heard the new single though.

Cellphone Is Dead - Beck
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Minky wrote:The Missus not too happy, big Ride - Nowhere fan. Ya see I'll take the 1st two ep's & b's on Leave 'em all behind and Twistrella over Nowhere. We have the ol creation cassette. But the cd of Nowhere has the extra tracks.??? The one with the Shark is my fav!!!, also on cassette.. Today....yeah great cut! That's what I'm listening to right now! Fuck Lush...wait? Yeah, Today by Ride!!!
Yeah, have to agree with you and Sighs....The first 2 EPs (Ride and Play) along with the Fall EP (the one with the shark on the cover, which was made up of Dreams Burn Down plus those 3 extra tracks at the end of the CD of Nowhere) and the Today Forever EP are phenomanal. Grasshoper, the B side to Leave Them All Behind is another of my favourite Ride tracks. What was the B-side to Twisterella though....don't think I have that?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

The B's on Twisterella were Going Blank Again, Howard Hughes, and Stampede. Going Blank Again is the only one that stands the test o time for me, great drumming...but definitely a b side but a good one.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

...Mojave 3 - Truck Driving Man. Not a big fan of the almighty Mojave 3 but quite like this quirky one, some good guitar work too.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

Ads wrote:
Yeah, have to agree with you and Sighs....The first 2 EPs (Ride and Play) along with the Fall EP (the one with the shark on the cover, which was made up of Dreams Burn Down plus those 3 extra tracks at the end of the CD of Nowhere) and the Today Forever EP are phenomanal. Grasshoper, the B side to Leave Them All Behind is another of my favourite Ride tracks. What was the B-side to Twisterella though....don't think I have that?
The shark is the Today Forever EP.

I have sympathy with Lush. I wouldn't totally dismiss them.

It's true though, their EPs are very cool. Today Forever used to be my favourite Ride record for several months. :lol:

Grasshopper 8)
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

yeah, you'e right actually. The Fall EP had the penguins on the front. Whoops :oops:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Earth: Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light 1
d_rradio: parts
Autechre: Oversteps
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Beautiful warm day in San Diego. Psychocandy was made for days like this.
Meo
Known user

Post by Meo »

Velvet Und. - A .Warhol Unripenend
aahhh Saturday Mornin'
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Meo wrote:Velvet Und. - A .Warhol Unripenend
aahhh Saturday Mornin'
My Bloody Valentine: Before Loveless.

I've had to go to a (cough, cough) dinner dance with the wife. To paraphrase Mr Lydon: No Fun. Am sulking...
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

abaco dream - life and death in g and a SLY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW1c8Ua-zYw
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

ganglians- to june
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

George Jones - Just One More

Incredible country music. This guy is as good as anyone in the rock canon, and better than most who get way more critical attention. It's sad that people like him and Merle Haggard, old warhorses, don't get more attention from the mainstream.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

jadams501 wrote:George Jones - Just One More

Incredible country music. This guy is as good as anyone in the rock canon, and better than most who get way more critical attention. It's sad that people like him and Merle Haggard, old warhorses, don't get more attention from the mainstream.
I'm with you there - have you heard that album The Grand Tour? Beautiful and sad, but makes you feel somehow good inside.

What a voice...
O P 8
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Mogwai: Hardcore will never die...but you will.

My wife presented me with a copy on CD today. I've managed to listen to it twice - I quite enjoy some of it, but some of it has not really grabbed my attention yet. Hopefully I'll pick it up on vinyl in the next few days- the best way to appreciate this mob IMHO (and Spiritualized and the Spacemen for that matter).
Meo
Known user

Post by Meo »

worth a dinner dance I hope Olan!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

jadams501 wrote:George Jones - Just One More

This is proper American country music. White boy blues. True and honest and sung from the heart.

Unfortunately, the shit they masquerade as country these days is so far removed from the honest to goodness, white boy blues that it once was it makes the whole genre a fucking joke. "McCountry" music...millions served. Fucking horrible stuff. Hank Sr. would be rolling in his grave.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Meo wrote:worth a dinner dance I hope Olan!
NO.IT.FUCKING.WAS.NOT! :evil:

On the other hand it is only once a year and it was an opportunity to sink a few beers so it was a total waste of time
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

i can't stop listening to that broadcast live recording from the trish keenan thread- thanks to the kind soul who recorded it and minky for uploading it- it sounds amazing!
a friend of mine gave me a copy of the new mogwai record a few weeks ago and i'm sorry to say that it's the first album of theirs that i've found to be a disappointment. the last track is the only one that i really like. what i will say is that it's completely unlike any other mogwai album so far and i'd imagine it might actually win some people over who hadn't been fans before. certainly can't fault them for that.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

shalloboi wrote:i can't stop listening to that broadcast live recording from the trish keenan thread- thanks to the kind soul who recorded it and minky for uploading it- it sounds amazing!
I just passed the link on. That's the original link that the guy who recorded the show sent me that I posted on the Trish thread. I did, though, take the original one file mp3 and separate into individual tracks but never uploaded it until a few weeks ago. That link is here:
http://rapidshare.com/#!download|261tg| ... rar|159750

Also passing on a link to the last show at The Meredith Festival - Dec. 10, 2010 (FM Broadcast)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J7SJQ42Y
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

thanks again! that version of 'in here the world begins' is so great- it's nice to have it just on its own.
i'm really kicking myself that i didn't go to see them open for atlas sound on that tour- i think it fell on a night before i had to work really early and it was really far away and i didn't have a car and blah blah blah. it all seems a bit petty now and i remember wishing i'd gone the morning after the show.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Cej_Ib_S8

Neil Diamond - Sunday Sun

Embarrassing, but what a great song. So well written.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Spiritualized: Medication e.p. Found it at the bottom of a box of tapes today. I have not listened to it for years. I really love the way that Medication flows into Angel Sigh from the Peel session. I was also surprised at how much I enjoyed Space, which I've never really bothered with much before.
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

Fields of the Nephilim - Earth Inferno

Moved house recently, one of the boxes holding my CDs collapsed this evening when I was moving it from one room to another and this fell out on top of the pile..... enjoying it too! (while picking up CDs and putting them all back in their correct cases)

Of all the 'goth' bands of the time this bunch had the dodgiest image but by far the best musicians.

Post by jadams501 »

Elvis - Tomorrow Never Comes

Quite possibly the best song from his country concept album, "I'm 10,000 Years Old." A blinding rendition of the Ernest Tubb classic!
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Queen Elizabeth - She-Diana

Julian Cope and "three Thighpaulsandras". Lovely stuff.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Both Lupine Howl's albums
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Laz69 wrote:Both Lupine Howl's albums
I really like quite a bit of their debut (Carnivorous) but have never really been able to get into The Bar At The End of The World. The best thing I got about buying it is that the seller accidently shipped it along with a free copy of the 125 EP!

Can you or someone recommend a few highlights of their second album? I'd like to give it another chance.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Perplexa
Citay - entire catalogue
Asteroid #4 - Hail to the Clear Figurines
CAVE live at Salford Islington Mill
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

jadams501 wrote:
Laz69 wrote:Both Lupine Howl's albums
I really like quite a bit of their debut (Carnivorous) but have never really been able to get into The Bar At The End of The World. The best thing I got about buying it is that the seller accidently shipped it along with a free copy of the 125 EP!

Can you or someone recommend a few highlights of their second album? I'd like to give it another chance.

Personally, i think Lupine Howl managed to keep some of the better aspects of Spiritualized (rockier, blues-ier side of things) and, although their songs weren't all instant classics, they were pretty bloody good. Live, they were fantastic.

Opener, "A Grave To Go To" is great... reminds me a bit of Spiritualized's "Electricity", but better. Second track "Don't Lose Your Head" is good too. Lovely slide guitar on that. "Gravity's Pull" is a cracker... Sean's harmonica playing is brilliant. Always enjoyed that about him (Would Spiritualized's live versions of "These Blues" on the the Pure Phase tour been anywhere near as good without Sean's harmonica playing?). "Trust Me?" and "Burning Stars" are my favs from the album tho and i think the closer "All I Can Do" is a fitting ending to the album. I always wished that their third album saw the light of day.

Did you ever hear the "You Make Me Feel Like I'm n LSD" track they put up for download? If that was a taster for the 3rd album, it would have been a cracker.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Just heard GaGa's 'Born This Way'.

The chorus! :shock:
O P 8
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I much prefer the second Lupine Howl album to the first, which is just 'ok'.

my favourite tracks are A Grave To Go To which rocks and Burning Stars which has a great outro
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

The subject matter of "A Grave To Go To" was a big turn-off to me and probably most of the reason why I didn't spend too much time listening to the rest of the record. I'll give it another try.
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I'm at the end of side C of the new Mogwai. I'm really enjoying it. Much better than the last two in my opinion.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Richard Ashcroft - Glory

One of several severely underrated tracks from his last album. Some of the backing R&B vocals are a little dodgy but overall it's a very strong song.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

WAR - All Day Music
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

A lot of Special Moves and Hardcore Will Never Die.... in prepeartion for next week's gig. Have discovered that Mogwai make nigh on perfect gym work-out music too, which is nice. :D
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

BRMC-Live At The Forum dvd ,its on behind me ,not really watching .
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Cheapster

(sometimes you get a mouthful when you only want a taste...)
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

herman
Known user

Post by herman »

c w stoneking - jungle blues,
it's weird no one mentioned this before. one of the best albums of the year imo.
very wel worth checking out!
"Thank you"
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

spzretent wrote:The See See- Late Morning Light
Guitar Porn- I Belive It(A Harrogate comp)
2 Sun Araw Live Cds
Cave- Live at Islington Mill
:D
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

The Low Anthem - Smart Flesh
Bright Eyes - The People's Key
MBV - Loveless (Had this on CD for years and never really got it despite every body raving about it but thought I'd give it one more go and I have FINALLY got it :D)
'Remember, change is not good'
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Johnny Paycheck - Take This Job and Shove It
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Cave - Psychic Summer...

Enjoying this... still undecided on everything i've heard, but this is growing on me.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Durutti Column - Vini Reilly remaster demo disk.

Interesting stuff, but sadly these demos are not essential (unlike say Forged Perscriptions). However if ever there was a Durutti album to take a punt on, this is it as the remaster is very, very good. Buy it and help the artist out (not a trivial thing here).
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

CAVE...

Absolutely loving "High, I Am"... its like it finally makes sense... :D
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Brian Eno - Here He Comes

The synth is this song is just perfect, so sweet and melancholy.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Durutti Column: Vini Reilly (Reissue) on Kooky Discs.

This arrived in the post during the week. It is a strange one for me as I already own this (on CD, original and FACDO issues, cassette, DAT and vinyl - very sad, I must get out a bit more). The CD remaster is good, but as this is an analog recording nothing is a patch on the vinyl. The disk of demos is, well just that, a disk of demos. Interesting to listen to once or twice. Having said this, as the FAC (CD and vinyl) issue is impossible to find without shelling out $$$, and the FACDO issue sounds woeful, this is well worth 13 quid of your money if you are a DC fan. It is one of their strongest albums and has aged very well. The use of samplers and found sounds was very novel in 1988, but has been done to death now. Some of the most beautiful and innovative guitar playing you'll hear.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

....And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead: Tao of the Dead

Given to me along with "So Divided" by a mate as thanks for a favour. He reckoned I would like the music "judging by the artwork" ( :shock: ). Sad to admit that this mob completely passed me by up until now. Not my thing really, but worth a spin all the same. F*cking awesome artwork, I really want to own the 12" LP with the excerpt from the graphic novel (if such a thing exists) just for the art.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Linda Perhacs-Parallelograms

Great long lost acid folk album from the late 60's. I have had this on cassette for years but stumbled on a new copy of the now out of print and equally rare cd last week for only $7.00! Beautiful album...I forgot how much I like it.
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

Derrick Carter - Fabric 56

Simply the most important dj House mix cd I've heard in the past 15years.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

olan wrote:....And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead: Tao of the Dead

Given to me along with "So Divided" by a mate as thanks for a favour. He reckoned I would like the music "judging by the artwork" ( :shock: ). Sad to admit that this mob completely passed me by up until now. Not my thing really, but worth a spin all the same. F*cking awesome artwork, I really want to own the 12" LP with the excerpt from the graphic novel (if such a thing exists) just for the art.
these guys have been mentioned a couple of times on the board recently- gonna repeat what I said elsewhere. it's all about Sources Tags and Codes which is an amazing album. the one before that (Madonna) is almost as good too.

not sure about the artwork myself.. :)
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Trail of Deads first 4 albums are all brilliant, shame about the last few though. The last track on the new one is great but most of it is pretty boring. DJd with them last time they played manchester, top guys!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Thin White Rope-Moonhead

This album blew me away when it first came out...still sounds good today!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Guessed wrote:Derrick Carter - Fabric 56

Simply the most important dj House mix cd I've heard in the past 15years.
Next stop this mix...cheers Stuart for the recommendation!

What do you think of Fabric 54? Loving it. Still...

And... what did you think of EvIL hEAt? Gimme a PM pal...
O P 8