What Are You Listening To Now?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

What Are You Listening To Now?

Post by BzaInSpace »

simonkeeping wrote:
BzaInSpace wrote:This blindingly good record by Jerry Lee Lewis called Soul My Way that is in fact his soul album, recorded in 1967.
Bought it second hand a few years ago now and never really gave it a proper listen...it's magic! All time great cover of 'Dream Baby' as previously done by Roy Orbison.
Jerry Lee, piano, and what sounds like a Stax rhythm section plus horns etc. Beautiful! :shock:
BZA that sounds awesome. Im going to hunt that down right now!
Simon, give me a shout if you can find the cd - meant to be pretty scarce! If not, I'm gonna transfer the vinyl to mp3 using black ops. technology within the next week or so...
scratch wrote:
spunder wrote:
scratch wrote:miles davis - unknown sessions vol.3 (stuff from 70-74)
is this something youve downloaded....track titles?
yes, from the "dr. fusion" blog (they go for flacs rather than mp3s)
there is better things there than the above... the "deep brew" ones are pretty cool! (unspliced bitches brew bits and more)
http://drfusion.blogspot.com/2009/08/mi ... ghlin.html
Woah. Gotta check this out later. :shock:

Oh aye...the Beatles - The Beatles/White Album. No Beatles for ages. Good place to start...
O P 8
olan
Known user

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

Post by olan »

Ads wrote:
spzretent wrote:The Aliens- Luna
Is that album any good Spzretent? I loved Astronomy for Dogs but never bought this. Sure they had it on in my local once and I liked it but never got round to buying it.
It is FUCKING AWESOME. :D
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

What olan said.

Initially I wasn't sure about Luna but by the 3rd listen I was hooked. 'Boats' remains my favourite Aliens track but there are masses of glorious moments elsewhere. It's an essential purchase in my book.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Best thing about my iPod is that if I just hit play, it starts with the Aliens and plays all their material. Sometimes you just don't need to be bothered to select the band!!

PS: excuse my language earlier today - don't know what has come over me, but it was a 100% accurate discription....
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Ads wrote: Is that album any good Spzretent? I loved Astronomy for Dogs but never bought this. Sure they had it on in my local once and I liked it but never got round to buying it.
Agree with the two other posts. Awesome and an essential purchase. Especially since spring is here. It is a very upbeat, Springy, record.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The new Hills album is blowing my mind. Amazing. I think it's better than the first one.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

TheWarmth wrote:The new Hills album is blowing my mind. Amazing. I think it's better than the first one.
:D Yeah I love it too - album of the year so far. Amazingly they are heavily influenced by punk - The Damned and Discharge being two crucial bands.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

WARNING: The following contains STROBE lighting and EXTREME LEVELS of harsh piercing distorted guitar noise. There's no messing about here, especially from 1:08 onwards. Also, check out Mizutani adjusting his hair around the 5:00 mark, cool f****r....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyLje_pH ... ata_player
What more can the heart of a man desire?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Can- Soundtracks. Pretty 'effin underrated!
Monster Magnet- Spine Of God 8)
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Neu! — Isi

B,

M
Design.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

TheWarmth wrote:The new Hills album is blowing my mind. Amazing. I think it's better than the first one.
Yep, had a listen today and it's far more satisfying than the first, which was good but not as consistent. Bit of a White Hills feel to this one.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

sunray wrote:Yep, had a listen today and it's far more satisfying than the first, which was good but not as consistent. Bit of a White Hills feel to this one.
Spot on!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I presumed you were all talking about the White Hills in the first place, having never heard of Hills. Just checked out their MySpace page and I like them already. Tell me more about them...
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

This evening I'm playing:

Amboy Dukes-s/t
Amboy Dukes-Journey To The Center of the Mind
Amboy Dukes-Marriage on the Rocks/Rock Bottom

Sure, Ted Nugent is an idiot but there is no denying his guitar abilities. Love these old Dukes albums.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

redcloud wrote:This evening I'm playing:

Amboy Dukes-s/t
Amboy Dukes-Journey To The Center of the Mind
Amboy Dukes-Marriage on the Rocks/Rock Bottom

Sure, Ted Nugent is an idiot but there is no denying his guitar abilities. Love these old Dukes albums.
What makes the Nuge more of an idiot than any other rock star? With his anti-drug stance, he probably has more brain cells left than most.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

jadams501 wrote:
What makes the Nuge more of an idiot than any other rock star? With his anti-drug stance, he probably has more brain cells left than most.
Well, I wasn't comparing him to anybody else but yes...I guess Liam Gallagher is as much of an idiot as the Nuge. But, Ted's anti-drug stance has nothing to do with my remarks. I can respect that. I can even, just about, stomach his macho bow hunting spiel. I was commenting more on his sexist, racist and extreme political views, which are not far off the radar from some of those right wing militia people arming themselves for Armageddon. Sorry, personally I don't want to hear his ridiculous rants I just want to hear his guitar playing.

Whatever happened to the guy who once said "now our ears are one, may they melt together to the ends of the earth"?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

redcloud wrote:
jadams501 wrote:
But, Ted's anti-drug stance has nothing to do with my remarks. I can respect that. I can even, just about, stomach his macho bow hunting spiel. I was commenting more on his sexist, racist and extreme political views, which are not far off the radar from some of those right wing militia people arming themselves for Armageddon...
Ha ha ha...well put, redcloud. Genius!

The Nuge : leading "The War Against Drugs", one dead deer at a time...

and also... Sly Stone - Fresh
O P 8
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Didn't Ted Nugent have a fur farm or something? Breeding mink or some other furry creature in order to make coats?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

No. A game farm. And he never killed anything he didn't eat.
He may be whacked and right wing but he has his principles I guess.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

redcloud wrote:
jadams501 wrote:
Well, I wasn't comparing him to anybody else but yes...I guess Liam Gallagher is as much of an idiot as the Nuge. But, Ted's anti-drug stance has nothing to do with my remarks. I can respect that. I can even, just about, stomach his macho bow hunting spiel. I was commenting more on his sexist, racist and extreme political views, which are not far off the radar from some of those right wing militia people arming themselves for Armageddon. Sorry, personally I don't want to hear his ridiculous rants I just want to hear his guitar playing.
The Nuge has said some ridiculous things over the years but I wouldn't say any of it's been worse than what people on the other side of the spectrum, like the guys from Rage Against The Machine or any number of "political" rappers, have said about their own politics. I guess I don't see why Ted is often qualified as an "idiot" while Zach De La Rocha or Dead Prez don't get the same label.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Well quotes like this on animal rights:
“I’m stymied to come up with anything funnier than people who think animals have rights. Just stick an arrow through their lungs.”

...aren't going to win him that much admiration...
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

siamese temple ball - no title or any other information concerning the band, but i think sir richard bisschop has got something to do with it. great album, also came out by the name '70's tai orchestra' on mississippi records.
jon spencer blues explosion - controversial negro
circle - infekto
the mother of invention - freak out
"Thank you"
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

redcloud wrote:
jadams501 wrote:

Whatever happened to the guy who once said "now our ears are one, may they melt together to the ends of the earth"?

not the most popular around here ,but cut the guy some slack ,Liam aint on a par with this asshole!!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

He is far, far more articulate than LG. But that aint hard.
runcible wrote:Well quotes like this on animal rights:
“I’m stymied to come up with anything funnier than people who think animals have rights. Just stick an arrow through their lungs.”

...aren't going to win him that much admiration...
Not from vegetarians.

And just so the thread doesn't get derailed:
Spiritualized- Live at Radio City.....again :shock:
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

"We Came Here In A Helicopter!"

Post by BzaInSpace »

Nice one Spz.

In honour of recent adventures - and to celebrate my one day off this week (spectacularly bad weather and a police helicopter floating around near my flat - bastards!) I'm playing extremely loudly another fabled live bootleg with immaculate sound:

Primal Scream - Live at Glastonbury 2005

I refer to this gig as the 'Kill All Hippies' show. Insane... full marks for managing to bring down the whole love and peace atmosphere of Glasto down with "Bad Vibrations". Heh heh heh...

Infamous pre-show interview...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0ET7D4_E4Y

If anyone would care to be sent a download link for said gig PM me...
O P 8
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

And don't forget the strange ending to their perfomance that year BZA...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh9DPVKq ... re=related

:shock: 8) :D :roll: :wink: :twisted:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Ha ha ha... "D'YA WANNA HEAR THE STONE ROSES???"
:lol:
O P 8
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

went to see godspeed on monday. can't stop listening to the recording, which is here if you're interested-

http://www.archive.org/details/gybe2011 ... k41.flac16
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

oh, and this also- which is the first time i saw godspeed back in london in 2000, back when i recorded every show i went to-

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GE512O3T
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

American Analog Set - Magnificent Seventies

Any other AAS fans here?
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I used to LOVE them about 6 years ago. Know By Heart and Promise of Love ("Hard to Find" is a fantastic song) were my jams. Didn't they break up?
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I think by the last few albums AAS was pretty much a revolving lineup, like Spiritualized, with Andrew Kenny being the driving force of the band. I don't think the band formally broke up, but Kenny's moved on the Wooden Birds project, which I haven't really gotten around to listening to.

The stuff that you mention is relatively late in their career, when they picked up some of the early 2000s indie sound. I like that material, but their earlier albums have much longer songs with lots of Spiritualized-esque organ drones. It's very low-key and blissed-out, perfect music for falling asleep to.

I did a search and they've hardly ever been mentioned on this forum, which surprises me because they seem like something a lot of people around here would like.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Have you heard Andrew Kenny's cover of Angel Sigh?
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I haven't, but I'd like to!
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Cornershop & The Double 'O' Groove Of, Featuring Bubbley Kaur
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

jadams501 wrote:I haven't, but I'd like to!
It's fantastic. All acoustic (if I can remember correctly) and very dreamy. It was part of a comp series I'm sure a lot of us here are familiar with. Here's a download I found by quickly googling it: http://kickthetragedy.blogspot.com/2009 ... chive.html
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Pussy Galore- Exile On Main Street. Well part of it anyway.
Nilsson- Schmilsson
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

thanks, toomilk.

Verve - Columbo
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

The 'I'm Not There' soundtrack - lots of great bands doing Dylan covers - currently on Fourth Time Around by Yo La Tengo
and through wax seals and padlocks...a hand through my ribcage...past the choking I saw palms and fingers grasping shoulders...collarbone...crushing...I imagined myself hacking desperately at a sea of appendages...freeing myself like a butcher...
robotoilet
Known user

Post by robotoilet »

shalloboi wrote:went to see godspeed on monday. can't stop listening to the recording, which is here if you're interested-

http://www.archive.org/details/gybe2011 ... k41.flac16
Thanks for your recommendation. There are many high quality recordings especially from this U.S tour.
I saw them twice in Tokyo about a month ago. They were really amazing, tight and powerful. I thought they became far more fit than when I saw them in London last year. I also have listened to my own recording and the stuff from Internet Archive over and over again.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

the new j mascis record 'several shades of why'. absolutely love it
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

New Soft Speaker tracks - our very own Warmth plays a blinder on these. Loving the beefed up sound.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Delgados-The Great Eastern

Orange Can-Entrance High Rise
Cheapster
Known user

Post by Cheapster »

gassjack wrote:The 'I'm Not There' soundtrack - lots of great bands doing Dylan covers - currently on Fourth Time Around by Yo La Tengo
Agreed. I'm partial to Mark Lanegan's version of Man In The Long Black Coat
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Ten Years After-A Space In Time

Every time I hear this album I have to stop what I am doing, sit down and just listen. It's quite possibly the greatest album about drug addiction (and overcoming it) that has ever been recorded. Pure heartfelt genius.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

redcloud wrote:Ten Years After-A Space In Time

Every time I hear this album I have to stop what I am doing, sit down and just listen. It's quite possibly the greatest album about drug addiction (and overcoming it) that has ever been recorded. Pure heartfelt genius.
Quite a statement on a Spiritualized / Spacemen 3 forum!

Beatles - Something
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

jadams501 wrote:Quite a statement on a Spiritualized / Spacemen 3 forum!
Yea, maybe so. But, it gets me everytime. It's hard not to feel the hairs on your neck stand up or your heart ache when listening to 'Hard Monkeys' and 'I've Been There Too'.

In fact, I would go as far as saying 'A Space in Time' and Spirit's "Twelve Dreams.." are amongst the most overlooked and under appreciated albums of the early '70's.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Led Zeppelin - Since I've Been Loving You. The squeak in the kick drum pedal...classic.
robotoilet
Known user

Post by robotoilet »

Minky wrote:Led Zeppelin - Since I've Been Loving You. The squeak in the kick drum pedal...classic.
i love the version of it live on BBC Sessions. it's just superb.

Echoh Air - The Psychic Paramount
i really enjoy the led zep vibes through their album Gamelan Into the Mink Supernatural.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

robotoilet wrote:
Minky wrote:Led Zeppelin - Since I've Been Loving You. The squeak in the kick drum pedal...classic.
thats my favourite version of possibly my favourite Led Zep song. the How The West Was Won version is good too but maybe a bit too bombastic
gassjack wrote:The 'I'm Not There' soundtrack - lots of great bands doing Dylan covers - currently on Fourth Time Around by Yo La Tengo .
it really is a cut above the average covers album isn't it? particularly partial to Tom Verlaine's Cold Irons Bound and Jim James' Going to Acapulco
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

I'm Not There (1956)

Post by BzaInSpace »

angelsighs wrote:
gassjack wrote:The 'I'm Not There' soundtrack - lots of great bands doing Dylan covers - currently on Fourth Time Around by Yo La Tengo .
it really is a cut above the average covers album isn't it? particularly partial to Tom Verlaine's Cold Irons Bound and Jim James' Going to Acapulco
I really like Mark Lanegan's song. But, to use a cliche - but really mean it - that man could sing the phone book and it would still sound awesome!

I have two gripes with this album though: Firstly, the last track, the awesome, blinding, best song that Dylan ever wrote :shock: , the sublime 'I'm Not There (1956)' itself, is finally included on an official release after being a long sought after bootleg and getting a large part of Greil Marcus' Invisible Republic rhapsodising about it... having only heard the truly awesome bootleg take for a year or so, and still being blown away with it every time I hear it, I eagerly waited to hear the proper release and that...

But I prefer the bootleg take! Sure, it's in mono and sounds slightly rough around the edges but a quick boost through Auduacity and it sounds ace. The official release however, despite being pristine quality (or as pristine as the Basement Tapes recordings will allow) has Garth Hudson's (I presume) organ sound way too high in the mix. Basically, the bootleg has this sound with the rest of the band all balanced and mixed perfectly, while the 'proper' release has that annoying split stereo sound and keyboards dominate the right channel. It sounds uneven and for me the song loses much of it's mystery and general lo-fi vibes.

Still... great fucking song.

My other complaint is that The Stooges recorded a version of 'The Ballad of Hollis Brown' :shock: which in the end wasn't selected for use... although the likes of Jack Johnston and the fuckin' Hold Steady got on there... madness!

...currently listening to an old record of various drummers recorded live called Drum Night In Birdland. It's epic!
O P 8
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Laser Guided Melodies — Been a while and with the grey day outside seems quite perfect.

M
Design.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Black Swan - In 8 Movements
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Spacemen 3 - Perfect Prescription (first time in ages, my how it roars back at me!)
Vietnam Veterans - Green Peas
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

angelsighs wrote:
robotoilet wrote:
thats my favourite version of possibly my favourite Led Zep song.
That's also my favourite version of my co favourite Led Zep song.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Dennis Wilson- Pacific Ocean Blue
New Order- Movement
Byrds- Notorious Byrd Brothers.
While watching basketball.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

FreeLoveBabies - Written In Sand
FreeLoveBabies - Home Improvements For Condemned Buildings
Sterling Roswell - The Psychedelic Ubik
Triumph 2000 - Phazed & Confused
angelsighs
Known user

Re: I'm Not There (1956)

Post by angelsighs »

BzaInSpace wrote:
the sublime 'I'm Not There (1956)' itself....

..My other complaint is that The Stooges recorded a version of 'The Ballad of Hollis Brown' :shock: which in the end wasn't selected for use... although the likes of Jack Johnston and the fuckin' Hold Steady got on there... madness!
I must confess I am quite ignorant of the Basement Tapes, that's a Dylan period I haven't investigated as yet, I'm only familiar with the songs I've got on compilations (Santa Fe, Million Dollar Bash, The Mighty Quinn) but I think I know what you mean. the songs sound like nice mono blocks of sound and manage to convey a wonderfully immersive atmosphere that would be ruined by too much stereo panning etc. that said I don't think the I'm Not There song sounds that different. sometimes the problem can just be the version you hear first you often prefer (for example as much as I enjoy the studio version of Sitting On Fire I don't think it holds a candle to the smooth, gorgeous acoustic mainlines version, particularly the very first one at the Daniel Johnston show. that knocked me out very first time I heard it). similarly people often prefer the more powerful demo or live versions of songs they hear first, and studio versions can just sound weak or limp (perhaps another thread)

I don't mind the Hold Steady, they pick a Dylan song very suited to their style to be fair. Jack Johnson is one of the dullest examples of a dull genre (I'm not a big fan of the 'singer-songwriter' and much prefer bands) and like you say not sure what he's doing amongst such illustrious company

currently listening to..... Blue Cheer- Vincebus Eruptum. wonderfully crude and heavy blues-rock- a perfect addition to the MC5/Stooges/Grand Funk talk on the other thread.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

You're in for a real treat with the Basement Tapes. I don't know if I'd quite say I'm Not There is Dylan's BEST song, though it's certainly great, but the entire session has a marvelous timelessness about it and amazing atmosphere. The official Basement Tapes release is the best place to start, even though a bunch of the material is by the Band by itself and not actually recorded during the Basement Tapes sessions. You can find the complete sessions bootleg easily enough, but there's a lot of material that's either fragmentary or in really bad audio, and the official release has a good selection of a lot of the better/more audible recordings.

That said, I'm surprised that the Dylan Office keeps on issuing bootleg series installments that rehash the same old early 60s folk songs when the Basement Tapes is an obvious area of the catalog that needs a souped-up release. I imagine we'll get a really nice box set of the Basement Tapes eventually, complete with swooning liner notes by Greil Marcus.

I almost never like Dylan covers, since very few people come anywhere close to the amount of nuance Dylan brings when singing his stuff. But I'm Not There is a solid collection with a lot of surprising gems. The only things I really don't like on it are Iron & Wine's overly-precious Dark Eyes, Sufjan Stevens' Ring Them Bells, and that Woody Guthrie kid's When The Ship Comes In.

Right now: Michael Jackson - (I Like) The Way That You Love Me
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Old acid house DJ mixes on ancient cassettes...
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

jadams501 wrote:I almost never like Dylan covers, since very few people come anywhere close to the amount of nuance Dylan brings when singing his stuff.
I went through a period many moons ago where I was convinced that some covers were better than his originals. Maybe because I'd heard the cover version before hearing the originals. The songs at that time being:

13th Floor Elevators - It's All Over Now (Baby Blue) - such a great version, and the Chocolate Watchband version too, but not as.
The Byrds - Mr Tambourine Man
Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower
The Faces - Wicked Messenger

there's more but they've slopped right on out of my brain in this afternoon heat. Needless to say that Dylans originals have worked their charms over the years.

Current listening pleasures of today? Well, mine are:
Funkadelic - s/t
Moon Duo - Mazes
Primal Scream - Screamadelica + the '92 live in LA set (both on heavy rotation the past couple of weeks)
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The Faces' version of "Wicked Messenger" is badass.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Other good Dylan covers:

Jeff Buckley - If You See Her Say Hello, Just Like A Woman, Dink's Song
George Harrison - If Not For You
Flying Burrito Brothers - If You Gotta Go
Spacemen 3 - Fixin' To Die :wink:
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Lee Michaels- 5th. Damned near gospel!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Angels of Light - New Mother
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

William D Drake - The Rising Of The Lights. Coming out on my record label on May 16th. Woo hoo.