What Are You Listening To Now?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

toomilk
Known user

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

Post by toomilk »

MattBenn wrote:
Kurious Oranj wrote:the modern lovers debut is one of my favorite albums of all time

i cant really get into anything he's done since
I'm the opposite. The first Modern Lovers record is good, but it gets repetitive and seems unfocused. Too many musical personalities clashing, in my opinion. Richman only got good when he slowed down and focused on his vocals. Holy shit he's a spectacular lyricist. A lot of people think he's a joke, but they miss his soul-crushing honesty and emotion.

Modern Lovers 88, It's Time For..., I, Jonathan , Rockin' and Romance, Because Her Beauty is Raw and Wild, and even his country album - unsurprisingly titled - Jonathan Goes Country are fucking killer.

I just put on my OG copy of Rockin' and Romance. The man is singing about jeans. Goddamn!

Broc, definitely check out I, Jonathan. Incredible album with sparse instrumentation, but great songs. "That Summer Feeling" is one of my favorite songs ever.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Loop: Heaven's End.

First spin in about 5 years. Can't work out why I don't play this more, it is still pretty good after all this time
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC0Wa3P_ ... r_embedded

Its been a while since I listened to Big Star. How could I forget how amazing they are?
Really great video too.

Also picked up 'Elvis - The Memphis Record' today which is just amazing. Why have I never seen this album before?
Long Black Limousine - :shock:
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

toomilk wrote: Broc, definitely check out I, Jonathan. Incredible album with sparse instrumentation, but great songs. "That Summer Feeling" is one of my favorite songs ever.
Toomilk, I don't know I, Jonathan but do know That Summer Feeling, great song. Also know You Can't Talk To The Dude & I Was Dancing At The Lesbian Bar. I was given a bunch of his tapes/copies in the early 90s and as most had Jonathan Richman in the title I find it hard to remember which album is which. There are some incredible tracks from those 80s albums; It's You, Give Paris One More Chance, Lonely Financial Zone and Corner Shop among many others.

I still think that Modern Lovers 88 and Back In Your Life are my favourite solo albums of his though, they're pretty consistent all the way through. Back In Your Life has some songs that floor me each time I hear them.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Grateful Dead - Fillmore 16th July 1966
Hookworms EP
Hookworms live at Brudenell Social Club 5/9/11
The Heads - various rehearsals and live
Moon Duo - Mazes
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Bach's Brandenburg Concertos conducted by Benjamin Britten w/the English Chamber Orchestra 2x Lp.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

runcible wrote:Grateful Dead - Fillmore 16th July 1966
"In the Pines, In the Pines,
Where the sun never shines,
I shivered the whole night through".

Great show!
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I Want You (Glides & Chimes)
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Lots of Hawkwind and Zappa...
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

war on drugs - slave ambient

just started listening to this yesterday, what an amazing record, sounds like a cross between springsteen and spiritualized.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Mike Watt - Ball Hog Or Tug Boat?

An old, indulgent favourite, which I've not heard for at least a decade.

'Against The 70s' :D
O P 8
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Teenage Fanclub- A Catholic Education.
Preceeded by Black Sabbath- Vol. 4
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

spzretent wrote:Teenage Fanclub- A Catholic Education.
Everything Flows is a classic... the extended version of this they play live is just amazing!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Jesus And Mary Chain -Munki ,forgot how great a little album this is ,with some critical self editing ,- I could easily chop off 5 tracks - it would have been a Chain classic.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Luna - Rendezvous
Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs Vol. 1 & 2
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

niamhm wrote:Jesus And Mary Chain -Munki ,forgot how great a little album this is ,with some critical self editing ,- I could easily chop off 5 tracks - it would have been a Chain classic.
Munki is great, really great. I don't know why it seems to get overloked, there are some stonking tracks on that record. The two versions of I Love/Hate RocknRoll are cool.

Was thinking today of The Pixies incredible version of Head On from Trompe Le Monde, another overlooked gem. It's a prettyt faithful version of the Mary Chain song but with loads more balls!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Broc wrote:
niamhm wrote:Jesus And Mary Chain -Munki ,forgot how great a little album this is ,with some critical self editing ,- I could easily chop off 5 tracks - it would have been a Chain classic.
Munki is great, really great. I don't know why it seems to get overloked, there are some stonking tracks on that record. The two versions of I Love/Hate RocknRoll are cool.

Was thinking today of The Pixies incredible version of Head On from Trompe Le Monde, another overlooked gem. It's a prettyt faithful version of the Mary Chain song but with loads more balls!
Was thinking about Automatic whilst listening to Munki ,some great songs, but I think the drum machine makes it sound kinda dated and was wondering what it would sound like if they rerecorded all the drum tracks with a real drummer ? ... it was a quiet day :roll:
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

niamhm wrote:
Broc wrote:

Was thinking about Automatic whilst listening to Munki ,some great songs, but I think the drum machine makes it sound kinda dated and was wondering what it would sound like if they rerecorded all the drum tracks with a real drummer ? ... it was a quiet day :roll:

A quiet day, so ya put on the Mary Chain :lol: :lol:

I re-bought Automatic on vinyl a few months ago, parts of it are still great. Halfway to Crazy, Blues From A Gun, Head On all rock..can't remember the other ones I like but I know the vinyl is shorter than the tape that I bought for my Walkman back when it was released. Which is a good thing. Only 11 songs on LP I think, so it's short and a little bit more focused, which I like. I think it fades a little on side 2 but I still like it for what it is and of its time. A shame the Reid bros don't get back together, their solo efforts FreeHeat et al are a little lost.

Did you the The Power Of Negative Thinking Niamh? I didn't, just wondering what it's like..

But yeah, some of the better tracks would sound super re-done, I just wished they got back together again :D
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

thelonious monk - straight, no chaser

munki is a nice album - and now that itis a teenager I can say I think crackin up is classic jamc (although younger of course).
I would include it on a greatest hits/best of jamc.
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

Broc wrote:
Did you the The Power Of Negative Thinking Niamh? I didn't, just wondering what it's like..

But yeah, some of the better tracks would sound super re-done, I just wished they got back together again :D
i have it. i have to say i don't listen to much off of it, as i'd already owned most of it ('barbed wire kisses,' 'sound of speed,' etc.). it has a lot of previously unavailable tracks- a lot of them are kind of bad not surprisingly (the mary chain always had a good filter for what they put on their albums and b-sides). what i will say is the 'munki' b-sides are fantastic- that was probably my favorite part of the whole package. the liner notes were very fascinating too and a lot of the tracks i only had on cd singles (like the 'stoned and dethroned' b-sides) benefited from a remaster.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Cool, thanks for the info. I wonder was Munki a little purple patch before they split? Anyway great to talk about the Mary Chain, getting too hard to type now :lol:
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

shalloboi wrote: what i will say is the 'munki' b-sides are fantastic- that was probably my favorite part of the whole package. the liner notes were very fascinating too and a lot of the tracks i only had on cd singles (like the 'stoned and dethroned' b-sides) benefited from a remaster.
I only have their last single from munki - Love RnR cd single with Easylife, Easylove and 40.000k and Nineteen666

I have heard the hate cd single tracks (although I don´t have it) but never ever heard the extra tracks for crackin
- they mucho guten?
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

I have the I Hate RocknRoll 10" but don't know the b-sides off hand. Good EP though.

Anyway i'm playing Beck - The Information, love this CD.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

The Who - A Quick One.

I haven't heard it in a while and sounds fucking great. I personally think Moon was one of the best drummers of the 60's for original style and drum tones. I don't listen to them much anymore but when I do I always want to hear more, very addictive for some reason. Unfortunately I'd love to hear Sell Out next but it is one of way too many albums on my bum hard drive that I can't access. Up next: Live At Leeds & Who's Next (Deluxe Version).
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

scratch wrote: I have heard the hate cd single tracks (although I don´t have it) but never ever heard the extra tracks for crackin
- they mucho guten?
'hide myself' is one of those. i think that one might be one of my favorite b-sides of theirs, in fact. 'rocket' is on there as well and is also quite nice.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Agreed. If they'd dumped Stardust Remedy, Fizzy, Black, and Dream Lover it would've been fantastic. Personally i've never enjoyed I Love Rock & Roll but i understand why it has to be on the album.
Another week or so 'til the re-issues start rolling out. :D
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Minky wrote:The Who - A Quick One.

I haven't heard it in a while and sounds fucking great. I personally think Moon was one of the best drummers of the 60's for original style and drum tones. I don't listen to them much anymore but when I do I always want to hear more, very addictive for some reason. Unfortunately I'd love to hear Sell Out next but it is one of way too many albums on my bum hard drive that I can't access. Up next: Live At Leeds & Who's Next (Deluxe Version).
Moonie was a dream, no one could touch him apart from maybe, elvin jones.....he played riffs on his drums. you must get hold of the mono sell out, a different beast to the stereo.
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

fuckin' HOUSE music

danny daze - fall away from love
luca bachetti & guti - finale
ray foxx - the trumpeter [guti remix]
cassius - the sound of violence [lucianno remix]
maceo plex - falling
maya jane coles - nowhere
homework - i'm into this [andre crom & martin dawson remix]
ben westbeech - something for the weekend [lee foss & robert james spirit remix]

B,
S.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The Left Banke ~ Walk Away Renée / Pretty Ballerina (Sundazed LP Reissue)
Radiohead ~ The King Of Limbs Remix 12" #5
Apache Dropout ~ Shot Down / Sister Burnout 7"
Sun Araw ~ Ancient Romans
James Brown ~ Hip-O Select Single Collections Vol. 6 - 8
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

TheWarmth wrote: Radiohead ~ The King Of Limbs Remix 12" #5
i worked a trial day at reckless in wicker park (sadly didn't get the job, kind of a bummer...), but someone came in and put all of those on hold, but there were still multiple copies in stock... wonder if they're still there...
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The one in the Loop has them all in stock. I don't think they've disappeared yet, but when they do the prices will get crazy. I like them a lot. Not all of the tracks are fantastic, but enough of them are to make them worthwhile purchases, IMO.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

spunder wrote: Moonie was a dream, no one could touch him apart from maybe, elvin jones.....he played riffs on his drums. you must get hold of the mono sell out, a different beast to the stereo.
I've never heard the mono mix and I am now on a mission to find one without breaking the bank.

EDIT: Oops, I didn't realize it's part of the standard Deluxe Edition
Last edited by Minky on Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Hard-Fi - Better Do Better
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The Glands - s/t
Kandodo - s/t
Baby Bird - Fatherhood
The Heads - Sauzipf Rocks
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

What is that Heads recording then Mark? Is it the recent 3-piece show from Europe?

Stereolab: Dots and Loops
Wooden Shjips: Marc Reilly Session 7 Sept 2011
GNOD: Crystal Pagoda
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

olan wrote:What is that Heads recording then Mark? Is it the recent 3-piece show from Europe?
That's it. Incomplete and a bit scruffy but well intense.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Currently listening to the following:

The Warlocks - Heavy Deavy Skull Lover
Koolaid Electric Company - Penzance Demos
BJM - Your Side Of Our Story
Notorious Hi-Fi Killers - Which Side Are You On?
Magic Lantern - s/t
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Re-visiting Friendly Fire. Sheee-it! That alternate Shine A Light is something else.
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

The Brian Jonestown Massacre - The Singles Collection (1992 - 2011)
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

all saints- i know where it's at (yo!)
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Bowery Electric S/T
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (not the worlds biggest PF by a long shot but stuck this on for the first time in years and loved every minute, the title track especially. Suited my mood perfectly).

Woods - Sun & Shade
Wooden Shjips - West, plus a mix Ripley did sometime back called Needle Exchange 004 http://www.self-titledmag.com/home/2010 ... -moon-duo/
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Billy Preston- Thats The Way God Planned it.
A taster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLy-s0ly ... 2BEAECDDE9
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Endless Grateful Dead live recordings.
Ron Wood and Ronnie Lane - Mahoney's Last Stand
CAVE - Live at the Brudenell Social Club, November 2010
The Heads - Live at The Attic, April 2008
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Donovan - 'Barabajagal (Love Is Hot' :D
O P 8
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Earthless - Rhythms From A Cosmic Sky

proper extended psych wigouts!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

The Stone Roses - 'Love Spreads'

Just right...
O P 8
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

forged prescriptions

nuffsaid

those kids hit the spot!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

(I moved all the posts about the Grateful Dead as there were so many I stuck them in their own thread...)
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

acetone- 'cindy'
sic alps- 'napa asylum'
warpaint- 'the fool'
acetone- s/t
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Eric Clapton - If I Don't Be There By Morning
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Mastadon-Crack The Skye,recommended to me ,prog/thrash metal concept album ,after 2/3 listens actually quite good ,tight ,focused and almost accessible for a prog /thrash concept album.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

I just plopped the needle down on the new CAVE record.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Verve - No Come Down

One of their greatest! It's like being in a shamanic ritual in some cosmic jungle.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Ride: Nowhere
The Aliens: Luna

Both on 180g double vinyl to replace my CDs. They arrived in magnificent condition in the mail this morning courtesy of some bullet-proof packaging from Spzretent. Thanks Alan!!

No thanks whatsoever to Australia Post who are the slowest, least reliable bunch of tools on the face of this planet.... :x
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Minky wrote:I just plopped the needle down on the new CAVE record.
:D I love this record...
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Kandodo

Just awesome.......
soskysoso
New user

Post by soskysoso »

Lazy Smoke - There Was A Time then, Twink - Ten Thousand Words In A Cardboard.

Psych afternoon !
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Broken Bells - Broken Bells
The Kwisatz Haderach
Known user

Post by The Kwisatz Haderach »

Moon Duo by Moon Duo

The loops become more addictive everyday
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I'm on a Billy Preston bender:
Thats The Way God Planned It LP
I Wrote A Simple Song LP
My man rocked. And he only played with the Beatles and the Stones. And stole the show at Concert For Bangladesh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyyetXvX76Q
near the 3:00 mark he starts to blast off. Classic.
The Kwisatz Haderach
Known user

Post by The Kwisatz Haderach »

MattBenn wrote:
The Kwisatz Haderach wrote:Moon Duo by Moon Duo
is this new? or old?

Thought I had all their stuff.
Sorry, wrong bloody title. Its Mazes
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Al Green - God Is Standing By
soskysoso
New user

Post by soskysoso »

Dirty Filthy Mud - The Forest of Black
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Them-Them Again ,nice .Its All Over Now Baby Blue ,must be a candidate for the best ever Dylan cover,and no its not better than the original ,the notion that Dylan writes great songs but can`t sing and other people do his songs better better ,man, that shit ire`s me :evil:
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

nikki yanosky's album. it's really exciting and unexpexted! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VGrCm2WzqA
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'