What Are You Listening To Now?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

Post by BzaInSpace »

😎
O P 8
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Spotify have the new remaster up?
The artwork would say yes.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

Because he died exactly 30 years ago today, it's gonna be non stop Serge Gainsbourg today!
"Thank you"
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Just discovered Peel Dream Magazine from California.

https://peeldreammagazine.bandcamp.com/

Pastiche Stereolab anyone?! Found it all rather enjoyable myself...
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:48 pm Just discovered Peel Dream Magazine from California.

Not bad. Dave Cambridge/Cardinal Fuzz mentioned them a while back. I wouldn't be into all of it but there are moments!
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

runcible wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:48 pm Just discovered Peel Dream Magazine from California.

Scanning through some of the tracks, i can hear similarities to the early Kranky artists and also Fuxa, and some more obvious nods to MBV. Enough for me to investigate further. Cheers Mark!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

When the inspiration is so obvious I can take it. These guys are obviously big Stereolab fans so it's cool. It's when bands claim 'we sound nothing like so-and-so...' (poking the Spacemen/Loop hornets nest here inevitably!)
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Jane Weaver - Flock, her 11th album apparently!! And this supposed to be `the pop one`, if Stereolab and Broadcast pass for pop in your house then I suppose so, just sounds really good to me, psychedelic and folky
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

niamhm wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:03 pm Jane Weaver - Flock, her 11th album apparently!! And this supposed to be `the pop one`, if Stereolab and Broadcast pass for pop in your house then I suppose so, just sounds really good to me, psychedelic and folky

Not a huge fan of Paul Weller unless its in relation to the Jam but heard this Jane Weaver remix recently and its really nice.
if your looking for escape during lockdown it also compliments the excellent documentary The Farthest -
(dont watch it on youtube..its in bits)

Space is the place!
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

or you could always invest in some crypto for the long term (none of that moonboy shite) - specifically Cardano ADA

[/quote]
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Vapour Theories - Celestial Scuzz: Album title sums it up really! This is Bardo Pond's Gibbons brothers in a semi-contemplative mood. I'm sure the last track takes it's tune/riff from EAR's Mesmerised album. Or maybe it's Spectrum. I would best describe this as an aggressive Windy & Carl 8)

https://bardopondmusic.bandcamp.com/alb ... tial-scuzz
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Arab Strap - As Days Get Dark, been waiting a while for this and it doesn't disappoint. Lyrically superb from Moffat, I have always loved his half spoken delivery of songs and often uncomfortable subject matter and Middletons music just seems to fit perfectly with them, whatever he's playing :!:
'Remember, change is not good'
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Clinic - S/T: Comp of early singles that still sounds wonderful 22( :shock: ) years later. Not a duff track on there.
Psychic Lemon - Studio Jams Vol.3: Self explanatory. All their Jams comps are pwyw: https://psychiclemon.bandcamp.com/album ... s-volume-3
Hey Colossus - Hates You and You and..: Debut album. Sludgy riffs. Not essential to be honest.
Plankton Wat - Future Times: I was really looking forward to this as i think there is a Magic Lantern or Eternal Tapestry connection. Drifting guitar and synth for the most part but not quite hitting the spot for me. In fairness i'm not sure i was in the mood for it. https://planktonwat.bandcamp.com/album/future-times
Thurston Moore - Lunatic Street, Thank You: Disc 2 of this compilation. Some fine songs in there. In latter years he seems to have accepted his material is going to sound like Sonic Youth so why change it?
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Yeah I got the Plankton Watt album Joycey, its Dewey who used to be in Eternal tapestry, its ok, he has better albums in his back catalogue, it just sort of meandered along
Listening to a lot of stuff on the Castles in Space and the Woodford Halse label, the latter is mainly cassesttes, (have a new Teac twin cassette ordered but there is long wait, supply cant meet demand) but they download via bandcamp so plenty of options to listen.. I have been looking at streamers as well...... A whole can of worms opened up. Anyway Woodford halse is electronica, weird folk, acoustic drone stuff and rather marvekllous. Castles in Space is purely Electronica but covers all bases, techno, ambient, berlin school, soundtracks, hauntology. Largely its been really good getting stick into the material Cocolan and Field Lines Cartographer are 2 of the artists that have hit the spot, the former sounding a bit Boards Of canada.

Neil Young archives 2 deluxe box set landed yesterday, listened to most as i got the flac files when pre ordered. Truly wonderful stuff and its hard to imagine just how many songs he must have written during that 72-76 period.

Olivia Tremor Control, Black Foliage, finally got it on 2LP to replace a scratched cd, wonderful weird Beatles esque trippy guitar pop pysch

Guided By Voices have very much arrived at my door, which is not a good thing financially but currently playing Propellor, Be Thousand and Vampire on Titus

PJ Harvey- reissue campaign has been great with some fine pressings, especially interesting are the demos which appear as stand alone albums

Cheval Sombre- Time waits For no one. More of the same from a very consistent artist, most enjoyable
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

The La's - Pete De Freitas sessions. Amazing. Love these versions.

Liberty Ship sounds totally unhinged!
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

I've been listening to the new Still Corners album - The last Exit. They are not my fav band, but it's ideal music for when i'm coding. Nice and mellow in the background - maybe it's contributed to a few breakthroughs.

Because Briita Philips provides vocals for one of the tracks, I've just bought the last Jonathan Bree album - "After the Curtains Close", which was released last year. I gues you'd describe the music as "baroque pop"? Not sure - he's spooky a looking guy with the Auton-esque costume. I kinda like the vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxRq23qVE8A
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Playlist on random today. Has dropped some crackers this afternoon.

Gotta love sunny Friday! :D
mschoeffler
New user

Post by mschoeffler »

Mogwai
As the Love Continues
All Week Long!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

mschoeffler wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:14 pm Mogwai
As the Love Continues
All Week Long!
Yep superb, maybe the best since without getting too verbose `Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will , another great Mogwai album
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I’ve said it before - but Mogwai have released more recordings than I can keep up with. Will definitely check this out.

Currently listening to a Royal Trux compilation called ‘Quantum Entanglement’
O P 8
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

The Mogwai record IMHO is one of their best, well worth a listen :D
'Remember, change is not good'
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

John Prine - The Missing Years
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Ezra Feinberg - Pentimeno and Others, Recumbent Speech. Lovely solo material from ex Citay bloke
Phish - Riveira Maya, Mexico. All 3 nights from their stint in February 2020
Goose - Various recent live shows
Papir - Jams. Newly released recordings of er... Papir jams!
Steve Hillage - Green, Motivation Radio. Quality hippy guitar noodling
Marshall Tucker Band - s/t. Southern countryish rock
Jim Dickinson - Dixie Fried. Probably my most played album of the last month
joemac75
New user

Post by joemac75 »

LGM & PP reissues (of course :D )

And an oldie that has just hit my top ten of all time with a bullet:
Gene Clark - No Other
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

The Coral - Coral Island: heard some tracks on the RadMac show, and enjoyed them. It's the first album I've bought by The Coral since Magic and Medicine. Might have to check more out.
Eels - Earth to Dora: just got round to getting a copy of this. Thought his last few albums have been lacklustre, but really enjoying this one.
Rudimentary Peni - Great War: if you like RP then you'll like this.

Also, nearly forgot - and I guess this is a gulity pleasure - I've been listening to the "Come to the sunshine" Harpers Bizzare boxset. All 4 of their albums. Just love the easy listening vibe, and I think their third album "“The Secret Life of Harpers Bizarre” is especially fab!

Just waiting for the new Magic Castles album to arrive!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

runcible wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:27 pm Papir - Jams. Newly released recordings of er... Papir jams!
Where did you get your copy from Runci? Can't seem to find a copy under £33 here in the UK.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Shinesalight wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:28 pm
runcible wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:27 pm Papir - Jams. Newly released recordings of er... Papir jams!
Where did you get your copy from Runci? Can't seem to find a copy under £33 here in the UK.
FWIW Jon, I bought mine from Stickman Records as that is the shop run by the band's drummer. I think it was about the same money including shipping so I rather it went to the band rather than a middleman.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Shinesalight wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:28 pm
I bought a download from Bandcamp before I saw there was a physical product, which was an error, but I'll just have to cope with that!

My playlist recently featured every version of Transparent Radiation I could find for the Podcast!

Also a lot of Slipstream going down here which is a nice rediscovery.

I started looking at older things I haven't played for ages and found myself listening to Ozric Tentacles 'Erpland' which has some great moments but is perhaps a tad jazzy.

I found a CD spzretent sent me of very obscure Mercury Rev things that sound very unlike Mercury Rev, with odd titles like 'Left Handed Raygun of Paul Sharits'. It features a great cover of The Band's 'Tears of Rage'.

I also got stuck back into Global Village Trucking Company's remastered recordings which sound really polished, and the unreleased tunes are pretty interesting too. But that's a family thing...
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:04 pm I started looking at older things I haven't played for ages and found myself listening to Ozric Tentacles 'Erpland' which has some great moments but is perhaps a tad jazzy.
:D Always good to return to the Ozrics now and again. Erpland is definitely one of their best.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Iceage - Seek Shelter
Danish band, never heard of ‘m before, but their new album was produced by Sonic. Appearantly they were a punk band but transformed into something more polished, for lack of a better word. I quite like this, bit of primal scream, spiritualized and britpop in there, even a gospel choir! Good songs, the singer needs a bit of getting used to, but check ‘m out.
https://iceage.bandcamp.com/album/seek-shelter
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

I just found out about this from Pitchfork and watched this David Lynch, Donovan collaboration on youtube. It's pretty great I think.

niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

The new Gnod compilation of stuff from just offer 10yr ago and a bit forward, some of its a bit raggety around the edges soundwise but its brilliant, so reminds me of what attracted me to them in the 1st place and at various points over the last decade or so, I haven`t always been so boiling hot on what they were doing, always interesting though, challenging, bit of an underground national institution really if that`s even possible
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I really like the new Sula Bassana LP 'CV Sessions'. It is basically a series of instrumentals built using analogue synths, drum machines and guitars. In places it hints at something like Metallic Spheres by The Orb.

runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Slipstream - pretty much the whole catalogue. Funny that.
Spacemen 3 - Recurring
Sonic Boom - Almost Nothing Is Nearly Enough
Goose - recent live stuff on Bandcamp
Light Heat - s/t
Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas/Blue Bell Knoll
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

runcible wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:20 pm Slipstream - pretty much the whole catalogue. Funny that.
:lol: I had great fun doing the same when i interviewed Mark a few years back. So many great tracks in there.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Magic Castles - Sun Reign : wonderful record.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Earthless - Live In The Mojave Desert Vol. 1 You know what your getting, 3 tracks 80 min, blasting for all they`re worth, channelling Hendrix, last live album they did had 6 tracks over 2 sides, I think this suits them better, space to stretch out and really let things breath

Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Earthless are such a great band. Isaiah's playing just blows my mind!

At the complete opposite end of the scale, i'm loving Cheval Sombre's new release, Days Go By. Guy can't do no wrong in my opinion. Just some beautiful, beautiful music to close your eyes to and forget about the rest of the fuckin world, even just for a little while! :D
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Laz69 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:35 am At the complete opposite end of the scale, i'm loving Cheval Sombre's new release, Days Go By. Guy can't do no wrong in my opinion. Just some beautiful, beautiful music to close your eyes to and forget about the rest of the fuckin world, even just for a little while! :D
I second this - both the Cheval Sombre records this year have been fabulous. Just a great chilled out vibe to drift along to.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

This is clearly an audience recording. Quite good though.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

This just arrived. I've been looking forward to it as 'Time Waits For No-one' was great.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

stegraham wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:01 am
Laz69 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:35 am At the complete opposite end of the scale, i'm loving Cheval Sombre's new release, Days Go By. Guy can't do no wrong in my opinion. Just some beautiful, beautiful music to close your eyes to and forget about the rest of the fuckin world, even just for a little while! :D
I second this - both the Cheval Sombre records this year have been fabulous. Just a great chilled out vibe to drift along to.
Does Sonic play on these albums or is he just the producer?
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

sunray wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:29 pm
Pete plays keyboards and provides processing according to the sleeves. This is in addition to the production job.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

niamhm wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:17 pm Earthless - Live In The Mojave Desert Vol. 1 You know what your getting, 3 tracks 80 min, blasting for all they`re worth, channelling Hendrix, last live album they did had 6 tracks over 2 sides, I think this suits them better, space to stretch out and really let things breath
Thanks for flagging this up, great stuff. Hendrix is a good comparison, like him the guitar playing is very fluid and keeps shifting between lead and rhythm. Keeps it fresh. A lot of heavy psych bands play one riff for 10 mins which is fine but this is something different.

I've also ordered the Can live album from Piccadilly records, I wanted to support my local record store but they only had the vinyl version. This is a prime candidate for the CD version though, the tracks won't be split into pieces and I can just take it all in. Only a tenner too, cheap as chips.

Oh and I was lucky enough to win a test pressing of the new Cheval Sombre album looking forward to receiving that!

Would others agree that this is looking like a good year for music? Some great releases so far and we are not even half way.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

olan wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:37 pm
Pete plays keyboards and provides processing according to the sleeves. This is in addition to the production job.
A couple of really great albums. Some heartbreaking songs . Wonderful production, both albums will be on repeat for a while for me.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

BROKENHEART wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:16 pm
olan wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:37 pm
A couple of really great albums. Some heartbreaking songs . Wonderful production, both albums will be on repeat for a while for me.
They're great LPs. I've been playing 'Days Go By' repeatedly. Not only is the music fantastic the production is wonderful. It is an amazingly room-filling sound built from some very sparse acoustic guitar, Sonic's electronic noodlings, a bit of random melodica and a voice.

This last week has been something of an epic week for music as in addition to the Can live LP and the Cheval Sombre LP, I also picked up 'The Heavens' by Sedibus which is an Alex Patterson LP that is just fabulous (if you like The Orb that is). The Sedibus LP shades it for me over the other two but it is great to get three such strong LPs in such a short space of time. I'm waiting on the new Rose City Band LP now wit very high hopes for that too. I love the first two LPs.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

The Black Keys - Delta Kream. Going back to their roots with this collection of covers of Junior Kimbrough and R.L. Burnside tunes, I though I was kinda `played out` on `The keys` after their last album but this dials it all back and is very enjoyable, some right chilled vibes an toe tapping atmospheres, just checked the prices on this and as if to confirm their position as ` a bunch of robbing bastards` Rough Trade have the coloured vinyl version at a mere £13 dearer than the black vinyl version, must be London prices or something
Last edited by niamhm on Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

niamhm wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:01 pm The Black Keys - Delta Kream. Going back to their roots with this collection of covers of Junior Kimbrough and R.L. Burnside tunes, I though I was kinda `played out` on `The keys` after their last album but this dials it all back and is very enjoyable, some right chilled vibes an toe tapping atmospheres, enjoying this,
Yeah it's not bad, a bit too smooth in places for my taste. I still think Chulahoma is the best thing they ever did.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

My most played album of the year, Terry Gross - Soft Opening: https://terrygrossband.bandcamp.com/album/soft-opening
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Dub most of the day, King Tubby and Lee Perry in particular interspersed with a lot of early stuff from The Orb.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Having a bit of a Galaxie 500 day today. This live album is fabulous!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Slipstream - Bradlaugh Fields Forever. Gets better with every listen.
Steve Kilbey - Unearthed, Painkiller, Eleven Women. Church man's prime solo area.
Blackberry Smoke - You Hear Georgia. Ticks my southern hippy box neatly.
Relatively Clean Rivers - s/t. Everyone enjoying the hot weather should be listening to this!
Rose City Band - Earth Trip. Enough said. Ripley does it again.
Cheval Sombre - Days Go By. I'm with everyone else on this one.
Flowers of Hell & Will Curruthers - Opus 66. Came across this 3" CD and have got right back into it.
The Anteloids - A Strange Adventure/Jupiter And Beyond The Infinite. Played these on a whim having not heard them for ages and they sound absolutely superb. Yet neither appear on their Discogs or Bandcamp pages. It's like that part of their history has vanished online!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

O P 8
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Comes free with a copy of Willy Vlautin’s new book of the same title. Features a demon cover version of ‘Broken Heart’ by some band called Spiritualized.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

olan wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:00 pm Image

Comes free with a copy of Willy Vlautin’s new book of the same title. Features a demon cover version of ‘Broken Heart’ by some band called Spiritualized.
nice one Olan, I've preordered! I'm a fan of Richmond Fontaine but never fully investigated The Delines- I guess now is a good time.

I read his book The Free which was really good, it was literally like one of his songs at novel length! the songs were always really good at drawing a picture in your mind so I guess it was a logical step
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:34 pm
olan wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:00 pm Image

nice one Olan, I've preordered! I'm a fan of Richmond Fontaine but never fully investigated The Delines- I guess now is a good time.

I read his book The Free which was really good, it was literally like one of his songs at novel length! the songs were always really good at drawing a picture in your mind so I guess it was a logical step
I'm a huge fan of The Delines. Both the studio LPs (Colfax and The Imperial) are fantastic. There is a compilation called the scenic sessions which is great too. I rate them way above Richmond Fontaine and I love Richmond Fontaine. Amy Boone's voice is just superb for channelling the struggles and failures in Vlautin's stories/lyrics. Astonishingly good live act too.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

olan wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:05 pm I'm a huge fan of The Delines. Both the studio LPs (Colfax and The Imperial) are fantastic. There is a compilation called the scenic sessions which is great too. I rate them way above Richmond Fontaine and I love Richmond Fontaine. Amy Boone's voice is just superb for channelling the struggles and failures in Vlautin's stories/lyrics. Astonishingly good live act too.
Thanks, I will certainly investigate further in that case! I agree that Willy's voice is something that potentially limited their music before. it's fine but he doesn't have much range and often fell into a kind of talking singing style. it made a lot of the songs sound a bit samey.
as you say his lyrics are so good at capturing people's struggles and those who have been left behind by the american dream
rapideye
Known user

Post by rapideye »

GYBE - G_d's Pee...really liking this on first listen. Seems an easier listen than some of their releases. Some of it life affirming even. Vinyl package great, but then they usually are. Liking the 12"/10" and the side that never ends. Love that shit.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - CARNAGE.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Suddenly i feel very, very old :lol:
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

sunray wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:37 pm Suddenly i feel very, very old :lol:
Reminds me of a certain pair of Manchester lads, around 1994... :lol:
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Laz69 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:10 am
Yeah there is that alright!
The above track is pure early Verve to me though. He's even got Dicky's hand gestures :lol: To be fair he does have enough sense to go walking on a quiet street :wink:
I checked out some of their other stuff; very much Stone Roses, Charlatans, early Oasis vibe to them. And the record label is called Spirit of Spike Island :lol:
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

sunray wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:09 pm
Laz69 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:10 am
Yeah there is that alright!
The above track is pure early Verve to me though. He's even got Dicky's hand gestures :lol: To be fair he does have enough sense to go walking on a quiet street :wink:
I checked out some of their other stuff; very much Stone Roses, Charlatans, early Oasis vibe to them. And the record label is called Spirit of Spike Island :lol:
Yeah, reminded me of The Verve, too. Bit of a “Blue” vibe going on there. And their next single is called Blu, but sounds more like bandwagon madchester. Anyhow, I liked it. Wanted to order the record, but it is already sold out on preorders, go figure.
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Rose City Band: Earth Trip. Absolutely fantastic LP.