What Are You Listening To Now?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

niamhm
Known user

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

Post by niamhm »

Making my way through Robert Shelton`s No direction Home, so listening to a fair bit of Dylan, currently John Wesley Harding, its fantastic, had previously missed how good it was next to the trilogy that preceded it, an easy mistake I guess, also the new Rose City Band - Earth Trip, also fantastic in a not too dissimilar vein
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

The Stooges, Live at Glastonbury 2007, iPlayer. Bit of a pantomime but very, very entertaining. I can only imagine what The Stooges were like in their heyday.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

A slew of new releases and amazingly i enjoyed them all :shock:

Rose City Band- Earth Trip: It's very mature isn't it? Thankfully, Ripley maintains enough spaciness throughout to prevent it from descending into blandness. Odd to hear a Ripley album with no major guitar solo to speak of. I like it but it needs more listens on my part.

Veik- Surrounding Structures: Fans of Beak need to get on this. Lots of droning keys and simple guitar/drum parts. https://veik.bandcamp.com/

Snapped Ankles- Forest Of Your Problems: Apparently darker and noisier than previous releases, can't hear it myself. You do get plenty of analogue synths and danceable rhthyms though. The Fall and LCD Soundsystem spring to mind. https://shop.snappedankles.com/album/fo ... r-problems

Birds Of Maya- Valdez: Scuzzy guitars a go-go. I can hear elements of Snotty 70s American Punk, The Stooges, Sabbath, Endless Boogie, Neil Young and Comets On Fire. https://birdsofmaya.bandcamp.com/album/valdez

Six Organs Of Admittance- The Veiled Sea: Some great guitar on this. Chasny trying something different yet again and it works. A combination of mellow moments and wigouts. 'Somewhere in the Hexagon of Saturn' reminds me of a harsh Darkstar ('Dead song, not the band). Then to finish the lp with an excellent cover of one of my favourite Faust songs was a pleasant surprise indeed! https://threelobed.bandcamp.com/album/the-veiled-sea

The Go! Team- Get Up Sequences Part One: Sampledelic pop. Not listened to the Go!Team in years but i enjoyed this. Brass, flutes, big beats and a hint of shoegaze this time around. Bouncy, happy tunes. https://thegoteam.bandcamp.com/album/ge ... s-part-one
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I am also enjoying the Birds of Maya album Sunray. I did already have one album of theirs (Ready to Howl) which was good but perhaps a bit too lo fi. this one is still raw and raucous but has a bit more structure to it (relatively). I think many around these parts would enjoy this.
why they have been sitting on this since 2014 is a mystery.

new Six Organs.. I can't find anywhere to buy a physical copy this side of the pond at all (there's definitely something going on with vinyl supply?).. trying to resist listening digitally so that it's first listen can be 'proper' :) but not sure how much longer I can wait

olan wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:05 pm I'm a huge fan of The Delines. Both the studio LPs (Colfax and The Imperial) are fantastic. There is a compilation called the scenic sessions which is great too. I rate them way above Richmond Fontaine and I love Richmond Fontaine. Amy Boone's voice is just superb for channelling the struggles and failures in Vlautin's stories/lyrics. Astonishingly good live act too.
further to our previous discussion Olan not sure if you spotted this, Willy put together a playlist of other act's music to go with the book. Broken Heart is there and also some perhaps unexpected choices.

http://www.largeheartedboy.com/blog/arc ... utins.html
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Latest release in the Levitation Sessions series is Slift, sunray of these parts introduced me to this band and they totally rock.
Seems to be selling out quickly- they just have released another small batch. At least check out the videos though, it's kick ass!

https://youtu.be/fJG0AJJQuU0

However.. Expected dispatch date... January 2022? :/
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Stumbled on this last week and promptly purchased. Great compilation of Taste-Era stuff from The Telescopes. There appears to be a Vol2 as well, but i hadn't noticed and missed out. Bugger.

https://thetelescopes.bandcamp.com/merc ... reen-vinyl

[UPDATE] Vol2 found and purchased. These seem to collate all the early singles from various labels together. Probably nothing new compared to the 3 or 4 compilations of similar tracks that have appeared over the years, but i'm happy to get these on vinyl, and in some really nice sleeves too.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Laz69 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:19 am Stumbled on this last week and promptly purchased. Great compilation of Taste-Era stuff from The Telescopes. There appears to be a Vol2 as well, but i hadn't noticed and missed out. Bugger.

https://thetelescopes.bandcamp.com/merc ... reen-vinyl

[UPDATE] Vol2 found and purchased. These seem to collate all the early singles from various labels together. Probably nothing new compared to the 3 or 4 compilations of similar tracks that have appeared over the years, but i'm happy to get these on vinyl, and in some really nice sleeves too.
nice one Laz, I really like the early Telescopes era (ie before Creation) and didn't know there were so many odds and sods so think I may purchase Vol 1.
this month is becoming expensive! :/
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

niamhm wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:17 pm Earthless - Live In The Mojave Desert Vol. 1 You know what your getting, 3 tracks 80 min, blasting for all they`re worth, channelling Hendrix, last live album they did had 6 tracks over 2 sides, I think this suits them better, space to stretch out and really let things breath

Gary, did you pick up the vinyl version of this album? If so, where? I can't seem to find it at Resident or Norman. :(
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Oh Sees- Chapel, SF 10.2.19: Fantastic live album of John Dwyers mob in fine form 8) https://ohsees.bandcamp.com/album/the-chapel-sf-10219
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Shinesalight wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:32 pm
niamhm wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:17 pm Earthless - Live In The Mojave Desert Vol. 1 You know what your getting, 3 tracks 80 min, blasting for all they`re worth, channelling Hendrix, last live album they did had 6 tracks over 2 sides, I think this suits them better, space to stretch out and really let things breath

Gary, did you pick up the vinyl version of this album? If so, where? I can't seem to find it at Resident or Norman. :(
Got it from Juno Records Adam https://www.juno.co.uk/products/earthle ... gKHzfD_BwE
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Someone posted a live video of Terry Bickers and Pete Fij, recently on Facebook, playing So Hot (wash away all of my tears). I'm a big House of Love fan, but never bothered - not sure why - with the records by this duo. I've recified this and just bought their two albums, so been listening to these recently and like them.

(BTW, I also spotted that the House of Love have been recording a new album, and Terry Bickers doesn't seem to be in there now. Guy Chadwick seems to have a new band around him. I guess Terry is busy with Pete Fij? Shame because I enjoyed the last two HOL albums with Terry playing on them).

I quite like the new Shaun Ryder single - Mumbo Jumbo, and this made me listen to some old Mondays stuff, and I love this performance of their track "Performance" on Tony Wilson's Granda show. Great vibe and great dancing!!! :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJecpjVs3Lc
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

Is Going Down Slow Jason's song or a cover and I was just listening to it now from the Reykjavik 2010 concert.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

stegraham wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:04 pm Someone posted a live video of Terry Bickers and Pete Fij, recently on Facebook, playing So Hot (wash away all of my tears). I'm a big House of Love fan, but never bothered - not sure why - with the records by this duo. I've recified this and just bought their two albums, so been listening to these recently and like them.

(BTW, I also spotted that the House of Love have been recording a new album, and Terry Bickers doesn't seem to be in there now. Guy Chadwick seems to have a new band around him. I guess Terry is busy with Pete Fij? Shame because I enjoyed the last two HOL albums with Terry playing on them).
Massive House Of Love Fan. One major issue stems from Guy wanting to tour outside the UK/Europe and Terry & Pete refuse. Which is a real shame. I flew over to see them in Leeds in 2018 and it remains one of the great shows I have ever seen. Unless it was for a NYC showcase they never toured the US with TB. Being American I am lucky to have seen them twice with Terry Bickers. Once in Brighton at the Escape Club in the late 80's and 2018 in Leeds. Several times with Simon Walker as well who was great but lets face it, he isn't Terry Bickers.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

spzretent wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:16 amMassive House Of Love Fan. [...] I am lucky to have seen them twice with Terry Bickers. Once in Brighton at the Escape Club in the late 80's and 2018 in Leeds.
Blimey, I was at that Escape Club gig. Small world.

When they played Brighton a few years later, just after Simon had joined, they did an in-store signing at the local Virgin Megastore during the day. I am slightly ashamed that, as part of an ongoing joke between some of my friends and me about Guy's lyrics not always being quite what they could be, that I got him to sign my copy of the I Don't Know Why I Love You 12" with the dedication "Your face is a foreign food".
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Toots & The Maytals - Funky Kingston
Congos - Heart of the Congos (at least 2 different pressings, thanks spzretent!)
Burning Spear - Marcus Garvey
Prince Fari - Cry Tuff Dub Encounter Chapter 2
Keith Hudson - Brand
CSNY - Deja Vu box set
Ezra Feinberg - Recumbent Speech, Pentimento and Others
Kurt Vile - his entire solo catalogue
Phish - various live stuff
Goose - various live stuff
Grateful Dead - Dave's Picks Vol 37 (Nassau Coliseum Sept 73), Dave's Picks 38 (Williamsburg April 78)

The mini heatwave in the UK has sent me in a suitably reggae direction. But everything else here sounds great in the sun too.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Ian wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:03 am
When they played Brighton a few years later, just after Simon had joined, they did an in-store signing at the local Virgin Megastore during the day. I am slightly ashamed that, as part of an ongoing joke between some of my friends and me about Guy's lyrics not always being quite what they could be, that I got him to sign my copy of the I Don't Know Why I Love You 12" with the dedication "Your face is a foreign food".
I walked up to Guy prior to them going on and he was interviewed in Sounds and mentioned how crazy the major label interest was. That even an A&R guy from Detroit came to a small gig in Brighton. I never said I was an A&R person, That show was insane too. I remember thinking they are like the UK version of Sonic Youth with better songs/hooks. Just for the sheer noise they created onstage that night. I was over for a buying trip and based in London and the guys in the shop I based myself out of could not believe I was willing to take a train to Brighton for a gig. I've done that a few times. I have the gig poster from the Escape Club framed here.
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

spzretent wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:06 pmI walked up to Guy prior to them going on and he was interviewed in Sounds and mentioned how crazy the major label interest was. That even an A&R guy from Detroit came to a small gig in Brighton. I never said I was an A&R person, That show was insane too. I remember thinking they are like the UK version of Sonic Youth with better songs/hooks. Just for the sheer noise they created onstage that night. I was over for a buying trip and based in London and the guys in the shop I based myself out of could not believe I was willing to take a train to Brighton for a gig. I've done that a few times. I have the gig poster from the Escape Club framed here.
I remember it being rammed, my wife and I had to stand on some seats near the back to be able to see anything. Amazing gig though, only time I saw them with Bickers.

It takes no time to get from London to Brighton, and those of us on the coast make the journey in the other direction for gigs all the time. Strange attitude by your hosts!
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

RIP Tõnu Aare. Respects to his guitar style. East-Europe is a total no man's land to this forum readers, but flags are low for my kind of people.

https://youtu.be/JtiDYPxuurc

https://youtu.be/H8UaPFbbfQY

His second from left standing. What a man, what a life.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Probably going to see these guys supporting All Them Witches in October, nothing certain these days so we`ll see nearer the time I do have a ticket though. Not got any of their records so just boning up through the internet, man this is pretty f#ckin` intense, Slift - Levitation Sessions, superb setting as well
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

niamhm wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:09 pm Probably going to see these guys supporting All Them Witches in October, nothing certain these days so we`ll see nearer the time I do have a ticket though. Not got any of their records so just boning up through the internet, man this is pretty f#ckin` intense, Slift - Levitation Sessions, superb setting as well
Thats fuckin tremendous! :D Have seen the name being mentioned but never investigated. Nice one Gary!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

niamhm wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:09 pm Probably going to see these guys supporting All Them Witches in October, nothing certain these days so we`ll see nearer the time I do have a ticket though. Not got any of their records so just boning up through the internet, man this is pretty f#ckin` intense, Slift - Levitation Sessions, superb setting as well
wow didn't know they were supporting on this tour, unfortunately nearest date to me is Nottingham which is a bit far. they are also playing Manchester Psych Fest if anyone's going to that.
Sunray of these parts turned me onto to this band, they totally rock. the thunderous basslines and punk energy but with spacy bits too.
the Levitation sessions is also getting a swish coloured vinyl release, Fuzz Club have a unique version for the UK.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Relaxing with the Heads
Never heard this one before, even though for many years around here people have been talking about The Heads, I never actually bothered to check ‘m out. But when Normans Records had a special annivesary edition of Relaxing, I’d thought I’d take a punt. Was delivered today and after a first spin, I quite like it. You people here have excellent taste ;-)
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Scottish psyche maniacs Helicon teaming up with Will Carruthers for this angry, menacing belter, I`m More English Than You, You C#nt
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

niamhm wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:42 pm Scottish psyche maniacs Helicon teaming up with Will Carruthers for this angry, menacing belter, I`m More English Than You, You C#nt
Love it! :D :lol: 8)
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

only recently, after several years of near silence, have i been able to really enjoy music again.
this particular performance is helping me now.
that voice!

lcd soundsystem
i can change
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM-Xc2_JHkQ
(sorry i haven't been able to make the youtube embedding work)
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

So glad to hear that ro!

Keep on keeping it on
O P 8
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

BzaInSpace wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:59 am So glad to hear that ro!

Keep on keeping it on
thanks, my friend.
it’s slow going but it sure feels right.
i’d forgotten the endorphin aspect of it all!
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

So addicted at the moment to this :
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VpoBdZYI8C
Taxi kebab
"Thank you"
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Might be a guilty pleasure (I don't know anything about the band), but I heard this on the radio recently and really like it. Truth by a group called Jungle:

I'm also enjoying the new Juleah album - Stoked on Planet Summer. Maybe her best record so far?

Oh yes, I'm liking the new Cud single too - got a great funky vibe! Hppefully the 7" will arrive this week.
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

lots of old live Deerhunter bootlegs ... what a live band, they could really kick up a storm on a good night.

and

discovering the The Staple Singers in detail. their run of about 8 albums in the '60's is total quality, like the best soul music ever; funky, bluesy and totally spiritual(ized). Pops Staples is the coolest.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

SpEnCeR1 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:02 pm discovering the The Staple Singers in detail. their run of about 8 albums in the '60's is total quality, like the best soul music ever; funky, bluesy and totally spiritual(ized). Pops Staples is the coolest.
what a great journey to be on!

i’m listening to this right now. It’s Kermit the frog & Debbie Harry singing rainbow connection
https://youtu.be/h0Hd3uWKFKY
Step 8
New user

Post by Step 8 »

God bless the board.
Back after a long gap and it’s great to see the ace spirit on here.
Power to you peoples, and your suggestions
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

I've been enjoying the first two tracks from Dean Wareham's up and coming new album, especially the one that was released this last week - Cashing In:

Also released on the same day (15th Oct) as Dean's Album, there also a new Dean & Britta album - Quarantine Tapes. Glad this is getting a "proper" release because the 7" box set was out of my price range!
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

New PSB record dropped today (Bright Music) not played fully yet but couple of singles are excellent. Nice g/f sleeve orange black vinyl and lovely booklet too. Well worth the investment :D There is a super dooper edition but at around £80 had to draw the line :D
'Remember, change is not good'
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

My Isn't Anything remastered vinyl, to remind myself what a decent reissue is like.

It sounds sensational.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Been revisiting a number of the Fuzz Club Sessions. This one is currently hitting the spot. This Sessions series is one of the best recorded i've heard. Sound quality has been incredible on every one.

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

The Bug - Fire: Wonderfully dirty, aggressive bass music to soundtrack the urban nightmare of all you city dwellers. Me? I wake up every morning looking at grass, trees and flowers and even i feel like taking a hit off the pipe and caving someone's head in with a hammer after listening to this. Or perhaps just hearing it blasting out of a massive soundsystem in a field instead. https://thebugmusic.bandcamp.com/album/fire-2

Here The Captain Speaking, The Captain Is Dead: In total contrast to the above, what we've got here is some lovely psych that uplifts, pounds, soothes and generally makes you feel good. I defy anyone to not find themselves beaming during at least one song on the s/t album. The second lp is good but it doesn't quite grab me like the debut does. Recommended. :D 8) https://herethecaptainspeakingthecaptai ... in-is-dead

Upupayama - S/T: For fans of Kikagaku Moyo, The Myrrors, Hills and latter period Goat. https://upupayamacf.bandcamp.com/album/upupay-ma

Smote - Bodkin: As above really. Droning, repetitive tribal folk with flutes and sax. https://smote.bandcamp.com/album/bodkin
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

The new David Holmes track:

runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The new Steve Gunn album 'Other You'. It's classic Steve Gunn but he sees to have taken his foot off the intensity pedal so lighter than his last album. https://stevegunn.bandcamp.com/

Everything by The Transpersonals. Christ - how did I not hear of these guys before? Excellent Bristol psych, pastiche in places but some excellent drones that wobble on in fine fashion. This is a good one: https://transpersonals.bandcamp.com/album/schizodelia

Chicos de Nazca 'Dreamers'. New album, similar to the rest of their stuff but with a touch of Rose City Band direction. https://chicosdenazca.bandcamp.com/album/dreamers

Pacific Range. Californian hippy stuff with a hefty nod towards the Dead. Tip of that hat to Laz69 for this one. https://curation-records.bandcamp.com/a ... e-mountain

Eat Lights Become Lights - Romance of the Stars. Latest thing from Neil who used to post here as They Transmit. I've ordered a physical copy so I'm hoping it appears soon! https://eatlightsbecomelights.bandcamp. ... -the-stars
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Kinda late to this lot, bdrmm on Sonic Cathedral, the album Bedroom is scarily old school `shoegaze` with a bit of Goth/ The Cure thrown in, seeing that written down I would normally have run a mile but a few folk I know are going to see them up here later this month so I checked them out and shit its pretty good, might even go see them end of Oct.

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Yep bdrmm are good. Nothing incredible (i think they've possibly received a bit too much hype for what they are) but solid debut album from a band so young. They just released a new single too.
https://youtu.be/5rH4hXuAX1g

Another new band on Sonic Cathedral are Mildred Maude. Little bit noisier than their normal stuff, the album is 4 long instrumentals shades of Slowdive, Sonic Youth etc
https://youtu.be/A9B1-msn8KM
runcible wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:37 pm The new Steve Gunn album 'Other You'. It's classic Steve Gunn but he sees to have taken his foot off the intensity pedal so lighter than his last album. https://stevegunn.bandcamp.com/
Hopefully giving this a full listen later on. I'm a huge Steve Gunn fan but the songs released so far left me a bit unimpressed. Like you say, definitely lighter and smoother than his previous work. I'm hoping it will make more sense when listening to the whole album.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

New Steve Gunn is almost jazzy in spots. Which I found weird. I have warmed up to it though. It definitely was not as immediate as his other records.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

angelsighs wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:51 am Yep bdrmm are good. Nothing incredible (i think they've possibly received a bit too much hype for what they are) but solid debut album from a band so young. They just released a new single too.
https://youtu.be/5rH4hXuAX1g

Another new band on Sonic Cathedral are Mildred Maude. Little bit noisier than their normal stuff, the album is 4 long instrumentals shades of Slowdive, Sonic Youth etc
https://youtu.be/A9B1-msn8KM
runcible wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:37 pm The new Steve Gunn album 'Other You'. It's classic Steve Gunn but he sees to have taken his foot off the intensity pedal so lighter than his last album. https://stevegunn.bandcamp.com/
Hopefully giving this a full listen later on. I'm a huge Steve Gunn fan but the songs released so far left me a bit unimpressed. Like you say, definitely lighter and smoother than his previous work. I'm hoping it will make more sense when listening to the whole album.
Mildred Maude are supporting bdrmm on tour later this month, think I`ll go to that one, getting very strong `shoegaze` vibes from the bdrmm album, normally as a desrcriptor for a new release that would put me off but really enjoying it so far
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

New Neil Young album - Carnegie Hall 1970
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

So that's what bdrmm sound like :shock: I've no idea why, but i had them marked down as sounding like The 1975 :lol: :? Yeah, i'd go see them live if they passed through these parts.
runcible wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:37 pm Everything by The Transpersonals. Christ - how did I not hear of these guys before? Excellent Bristol psych, pastiche in places but some excellent drones that wobble on in fine fashion. This is a good one: https://transpersonals.bandcamp.com/album/schizodelia
Never heard of them myself Runci but a quick listen through that album you linked has convinced me to delve further. I've a feeling i won't like all of it but there's enough there to pique my interest. Cheers.

I'm still on The Liminanas & Lauren Garnier LP. AOTY contender for me 8) Seriously folks, give it a listen: https://theliminanas.bandcamp.com/
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

niamhm wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:38 am
Mildred Maude are supporting bdrmm on tour later this month, think I`ll go to that one, getting very strong `shoegaze` vibes from the bdrmm album, normally as a desrcriptor for a new release that would put me off but really enjoying it so far
Yeah i know what you mean, because I like shoegaze a fair bit I often investigate if a review mentions that as an influence. But it rarely pays off. The new bands are usually just watered down versions. Same when reviews mention Spiritualized as an influence to be honest.

Bdrmm have a fair bit of postpunk in there too. Definitely The Cure but also The Chameleons which is no bad thing in my book.
They come across rather well in this live session
https://youtu.be/Il5DLaCImVw
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

sunray wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:52 pm
runcible wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:37 pm Everything by The Transpersonals. Christ - how did I not hear of these guys before? Excellent Bristol psych, pastiche in places but some excellent drones that wobble on in fine fashion. This is a good one: https://transpersonals.bandcamp.com/album/schizodelia
Never heard of them myself Runci but a quick listen through that album you linked has convinced me to delve further. I've a feeling i won't like all of it but there's enough there to pique my interest. Cheers.
I've found the whole back catalogue to be pretty good. Some great atmospheric drones. Like Bardo Pond meeting Plasticland at times.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

After someone posting a link to the "Deeper than Holy" Pastel track, I managed to buy the 4 track EP when it came out last week. Lovely orange splatter 12" vinyl - all 4 tracks are great. Been listening it this alot the last few days. Good stuff!!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Can't get this track out of my head this week. Beautiful vocals.

beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

stegraham wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:48 am After someone posting a link to the "Deeper than Holy" Pastel track, I managed to buy the 4 track EP when it came out last week. Lovely orange splatter 12" vinyl - all 4 tracks are great. Been listening it this alot the last few days. Good stuff!!
Where did you get it, if you don’t mind me asking? Can’t find it anywhere.
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

beaker73 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:44 pm
stegraham wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:48 am After someone posting a link to the "Deeper than Holy" Pastel track, I managed to buy the 4 track EP when it came out last week. Lovely orange splatter 12" vinyl - all 4 tracks are great. Been listening it this alot the last few days. Good stuff!!
Where did you get it, if you don’t mind me asking? Can’t find it anywhere.

Well, after hearing their first track I started to follow them on Facebook. They announced, a couple of weeks ago, that even though the records had sold out ages ago they had 10 available for late comers. I was lucky enough to get the pre-order in and get one of the last 10. Lots of people on FB asking for a re-press but they say the record company - Spirit of Spike Island - only want to do one off limited runs. Sounds crazy especially when there's such a demand.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Ian wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:14 pm
I remember it being rammed, my wife and I had to stand on some seats near the back to be able to see anything. Amazing gig though, only time I saw them with Bickers.

It takes no time to get from London to Brighton, and those of us on the coast make the journey in the other direction for gigs all the time. Strange attitude by your hosts!
Don't suppose you were at the "three gigs in one night" event they did in 1991? That was really something - they had these incredible lasers at the Town & Country Club, then the third gig at the much smaller Dome in Tufnell Park was only for fans who had the special "season ticket", which was a laminated card like a Tube ticket. It was a secret venue and we were taken directly there from Kentish Town on a couple of charter coaches.

At the last of those gigs I needed a p1ss before the show and when I went in the gents there was Guy Chadwick being photographed for the NME. Weirdest p1ss I've ever had!

Still have the one-off x3 t-shirt and the laminated ticket from that...
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

Greeny wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:13 pmDon't suppose you were at the "three gigs in one night" event they did in 1991?
No, they (or rather, whoever was in charge of their marketing) had turned me against them by that point.

Despite being less enamoured with the first Fontana album than their Creation stuff, I was still buying everything on every format around that time. One of the adverts for The Beatles And The Stones detailed the tracks spread across the formats, and I remember the phrase "for maximum collectability" coming into things. And then, once I'd tracked them all down, they put out a compilation with loads of those tracks on. I really did get the feeling I'd been cheated, and it put me off them for some time. Finally got the Babe Rainbow album at a car boot, still haven't heard Audience With The Mind.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Ian wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:38 pm Finally got the Babe Rainbow album at a car boot, still haven't heard Audience With The Mind.
Babe Rainbow has its moments.
Audience With The Mind doesn't.
Strictly my opinion. :wink:
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

I like Babe Rainbow - it might be my fav HoL album. I agree about Audience of the Mind - there's somrthing about it - production, songs? Not sure but it doesn't do anything for me.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Jon Hopkins - Singularity, man this so good, it kinda by past me at the time for some reason which is kinda weird as I`d been a massive fan of the previous one. This is awesome, from the bangers to the mellower stuff it just flows superbly and the production is immaculate, maybe too immaculate for some but its hitting the spot for me this last few days
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

stegraham wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:33 am I like Babe Rainbow - it might be my fav HoL album. I agree about Audience of the Mind - there's somrthing about it - production, songs? Not sure but it doesn't do anything for me.
Babe Rainbow has gotten much better with age.
It's still my 4th on my HOL fave LPs list if we are are counting A Spy In The House Of Love.
All in descending order.
S/T, Fontana, Spy, Babe Rainbow.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Been enjoying the new Cheval Sombre track that dropped yesterday. Apparently it's a Grateful Dead cover . I must admit my ignorance of the Dead, but I do like this 8 min laid back droney vibe. A Dire Straits (!!!) cover on the the b-side when it gets released in November!

runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

stegraham wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:42 am Been enjoying the new Cheval Sombre track that dropped yesterday. Apparently it's a Grateful Dead cover . I must admit my ignorance of the Dead, but I do like this 8 min laid back droney vibe. A Dire Straits (!!!) cover on the the b-side when it gets released in November!
Yup, Althea is a classic Grateful Dead track, with endless discussion about which is the greatest rendition. Don't get me started on that!

Dead and Company - which is a few of the surviving members of the Dead - played Althea at Red Rocks just last night in fact.

This sounds very nice and a perfect CS adaption.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Parquet Courts- Sympathy For Life: After all the references to Screamadelica, Can, dropping acid daily and extended jams edited down to make this lp i had high hopes for the new album of one of my favourite acts of the past decade. Unfortunately it doesn't hit the mark for me. It might be a grower but it's the first PC album i've struggled to stick with all the way through. Not bad but not immediate like the others. It has grooves but they're a little clunky and i'm not mad on the production. I shall persevere nonetheless.

Clinic- Fantasy Island: It's Clinic but it's different. Oddly enough it reminds me of latter period Madness for extremely brief moments. The title track is great, probably the closest they've sounded to the early material in years.

The Jesus & Mary Chain- The Power of Negative Thinking: Four cd boxset of b-sides/odds & sods. Sometimes all that's needed is four hours of the Chain. Marvellous :D 8)
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Very, very bland on first listen. Then again, TWOD LPs tend to be slow growers in my experience so perhaps it news a few more listens.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Haven’t bothered with the new War on Drugs. Put off by the £40 price tag for the vinyl and the clips I heard online sounding very average.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Shinesalight wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:42 pm Haven’t bothered with the new War on Drugs. Put off by the £40 price tag for the vinyl and the clips I heard online sounding very average.
I won't be buying it. I've listened to it a second time and it was less engaging than first time around. I hardly listened to the last one either...
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

olan wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:16 pm
Shinesalight wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:42 pm Haven’t bothered with the new War on Drugs. Put off by the £40 price tag for the vinyl and the clips I heard online sounding very average.
I won't be buying it. I've listened to it a second time and it was less engaging than first time around. I hardly listened to the last one either...
Not a fan, but i did hear one song off it and genuinely thought it was Don Henleys 'Boys of Summer' :shock: Thought i'd been transported back to 1985. Dreadful shite altogether. Surely that's peak 80s now and cunts can move on to something else? Think i said that a decade ago though :roll:
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Also a thumbs down from me on the new War on Drugs unfortunately. And this is someone who really liked the first 3. A Deeper Understanding had a couple of great songs on it, but now on this new one I'm fully off board.
I'm a bit non plussed by the rave reviews the last two LPs got.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

I heard this track on the radio recently and liked the vibe. Don't know anything about the artist, but the other tracks on youtube aren't as good as this one: