What Are You Listening To Now?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

redcloud
Known user

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

Post by redcloud »

The Beau Brummels - Bradley's Barn

PS: Hey beaker - Laz, runcible and I were talking about that CRB release just the other day! :wink:
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

The Warlocks: Skull Worship

Great tunes but a very strange recording. The best description I can give is that the LP sounds a bit muffled. I might describe it as being a bit like a cassette dub of a copy that was recorded with Dolby off, but played back with Dolby on, but that would make me seem like an old fart.....(guilty as charged).
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

olan wrote:The Warlocks: Skull Worship

Great tunes but a very strange recording. The best description I can give is that the LP sounds a bit muffled. I might describe it as being a bit like a cassette dub of a copy that was recorded with Dolby off, but played back with Dolby on, but that would make me seem like an old fart.....(guilty as charged).
this is in the mail on it's way to me. nearly every LP of theirs i have on vinyl has problems- my copy of 'heavy deavy skull lover' has a lot of loud pops and always has, 'the mirror explodes' has a ton of skips. i suppose this would make the circle complete. i guess i'm an old fart as well as your description makes perfect sense to me.

i got an email from cargo telling me there wouldn't be an mp3 download with my LP copy. did yours come with an mp3 download?
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

The disappointment of hearing that the quality of the sound of the vinyl is poor has slightly overshadowed the joy I had when I opened an email from my local record store telling me that this was waiting for me to pick up. Pretty certain from what I've read on the Warlocks' site and elsewhere that there is no download code with this or, even a CD which in this day and age is a pretty poor show.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

redcloud wrote:PS: Hey beaker - Laz, runcible and I were talking about that CRB release just the other day! :wink:
As in on the board? Cause if so, I missed it completely :shock:
Anyhow, have youse had a chance to listen to it?
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Shinesalight wrote:The disappointment of hearing that the quality of the sound of the vinyl is poor has slightly overshadowed the joy I had when I opened an email from my local record store telling me that this was waiting for me to pick up. Pretty certain from what I've read on the Warlocks' site and elsewhere that there is no download code with this or, even a CD which in this day and age is a pretty poor show.
The quality of the pressing is great. It is just a bit lower-Fi than most recordings. I'm guessing it was recorded very quickly using fairly primitive kit on a tight budget. The music is really good, and is a fair advance in terms of sophistication. There are some really nice drones and synths underpinning the first few tunes, but it is all a bit muddy to my (cloth) ears.

Did notice the absence of CD and/ or download. For £20 (or thereabouts) I was surprised not to get the digital version too.

Not a bad record though on first listen.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Om - Advaitic Songs

Wonderful record.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Led Zep - No Quarter
kind of obsessed with this song right now, keep playing the riff on my guitar, dreaming what it would be like to have Bonham backing me up on the drums. Silly, I know...
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Live at KCRW

Excellent sound on this.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Spiritualized - Toronto Opera House October 20, 2003

Wow, I keep coming back to this one...fucking stellar. I saw them earlier in Philly and this recording pretty much sums up the the sonic assault of the Philly show.

My turntable is at the Doctor's with a bad cantilever :( so I've been going through some of the stuff I have on my external hard drive.

The House Of Love - 1986-88: The Creation Recordings
The House Of Love - Spy In The House Of Love

I haven't heard these guys in a while but they're hitting the spot. Someone mentioned a new album, I'll have to check it out.

Heaven And Hell Volume One: A Tribute To The Velvet Underground

Let me back track for a minute (if anyone got confused)...I was listening to White Light/White Heat which led me to the Heaven and Hell Tribute which led to The House Of Love which led to the Toronto Opera House Show and now has led me to the Radio City Music Hall Show. :lol: :D
Noddy
Known user

Post by Noddy »

angelsighs wrote:
Hofstadter wrote:The Holydrug Couple - Noctuary

WOW!!! I am absolutely loving this right now. I like that Sacred Bones is getting the chilean stuff out there here in the states. This is beautiful I think...

Does anybody have any material by the Lucid Dream? They were mentioned in a thread in the gigs section w/ the holydrug couple (the guy from the band even popped on to say hello!). Would love to hear them.
totally agree- the Holydrug Couple album is superb! had it on again last night. it's like stepping into another world. I like how they have mixed the bass n drum grooves nice and punchy too.

I'd appreciate some pointers on the Lucid Dream too (perhaps from the man himself!), I very much enjoyed their live set
hi, many thanks! Apologies for the delay in reply, just returned from a European tour (rounded off perfectly by supporting Dead Skeletons in Manchester (who were excellent).

All our 7"s and 10"s are sold out now, and our debut album sold out on vinyl within 2 days, but it has been reissued and will be online in the next day or two! Also still available on CD and digitally:
http://holyareyourecordings.bigcartel.com/
http://theluciddream.bandcamp.com/album ... and-deceit

We are currently working on our second album, which is taking huge inspiration from Krautrock, and we have been playing 3 songs from it live recently.
Our next release is on 24th February 2014, a 7" to be released on Too Pure (great label), as part of their singles club.

Some board members may have caught us live in the very early days (2009) as we supported Spectrum at a few shows, and have also supported the likes of Death In Vegas, A Place To Bury Strangers, The Aliens and The Magic Band.

You can probably find all you need on here too (thanks again!!):
https://www.facebook.com/theluciddream

Mark
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

2 copies of The Lucid Dream- Songs Of Lies And Deceit LP from a US based site :wink: here:
http://dockellisrecords.bigcartel.com/

I have been listening to Moon Duo- Circles on repeat. It actually swings at a few points.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Goat: Live Ballroom Ritual.

A concise review: :D
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Most of the Spectrum catalogue.
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

cluster - cluster II (plas)

fifty foot hose - cauldron (if not this time)

jefferson airplane - thirty seconds over winterland (feel so good)

faust - IV (krautrock)
jayray
Known user

Post by jayray »

Spindrift "Ghost of the West"
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Yo La Tengo vinyl bought last night.Popular Songs and Fade

I haven't been keeping up with Yo La Tengo releases, and now realise this was a big mistake, which I am glad to have rectified.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Mott The Hoople- The Ballad Of Mott 2x CD
White Stripes- De Stijl
Moon Duo- Circles. I just cant stop listening to this.
Lee Perry- Voodooism
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Intense few weeks entailing a lot of driving - following binging on Lou and the Velvets, I've also reacquainted myself with the following: massive Wu-Tang & solo indulgence included...

GZA/Genius - Liquid Swords
Ghostface Killah - Ironman, FishScale
Masta Killa - Made in Brooklyn
Raekwon the Chef - Only Built for Cuban Lynx II
Method Man, Ghostface, Raekwon - The Wu-Massacre
Wu-Tang Clan - Iron Flag
Wu-Tang Clan - Wu-Tang Forever
Inspectah Deck - Uncontrolled Substance

For me, Wu-Tang Forever remains by some distance one of the greatest double albums ever. Only something like Electric Ladyland is up there with it for me. Just awesome. I note that even today 'common consensus' suggests their debut album is the peak and stuff, I honestly believe this album was just not listened to enough - even on it's purchase back in 1997 I thought it was too vast and detailed to get a feel on. The old adage about trimming down a bunch of songs to make a great single album has been applied here, but for me, the songs that didn't strike me initially have long since become essential. Thought provoking, complex, dynamic and some astonishing verbal poetry at work - with a good helping of sly wit and laugh out loud laughter. Plus some absolutely killer beats and some amazing loops, great sub-bass to feel in your stomach. Nothing sounds as good as this jacked up really loud. Amazing...

On a lamer note, the Iron Flag edition I bought in Fopp a few years back to replace my original will never be played again - I realize now I have the radio-friendly version, with all sweary-words back-masked or silenced. Poor fucking show... :wink:

Among with some more reason stuff, these have also been heavily played and very heavily enjoyed:

The Sabres of Paradise - Sabresonic II
Brian Eno - Here Come The Warm Jets, Before And After Science
Led Zeppelin - Houses Of The Holy
Spacemen 3 - Performance
Hendrix - Band of Gypsys
Prodigy - Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

The last one - holy shit. What an incredible album. Seriously underrated in the Prodigy 'canon' it seems - it's just fucking amazing. Again, it works best when you're barrelling along at full volume, but it's really fucking good. It's a million times better than their previous multi-million selling record... probably didn't help with the lack of vocals on a lot of it, but for me this makes it so much better. Apparently it was also recorded, mixed and mastered entirely on a laptop.... :shock:
O P 8
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

BzaInSpace wrote:Intense few weeks entailing a lot of driving - following binging on Lou and the Velvets, I've also reacquainted myself with the following: massive Wu-Tang & solo indulgence included...

GZA/Genius - Liquid Swords
Ghostface Killah - Ironman, FishScale
Masta Killa - Made in Brooklyn
Raekwon the Chef - Only Built for Cuban Lynx II
Method Man, Ghostface, Raekwon - The Wu-Massacre
Wu-Tang Clan - Iron Flag
Wu-Tang Clan - Wu-Tang Forever
Inspectah Deck - Uncontrolled Substance

For me, Wu-Tang Forever remains by some distance one of the greatest double albums ever. Only something like Electric Ladyland is up there with it for me. Just awesome. I note that even today 'common consensus' suggests their debut album is the peak and stuff, I honestly believe this album was just not listened to enough - even on it's purchase back in 1997 I thought it was too vast and detailed to get a feel on. The old adage about trimming down a bunch of songs to make a great single album has been applied here, but for me, the songs that didn't strike me initially have long since become essential. Thought provoking, complex, dynamic and some astonishing verbal poetry at work - with a good helping of sly wit and laugh out loud laughter. Plus some absolutely killer beats and some amazing loops, great sub-bass to feel in your stomach. Nothing sounds as good as this jacked up really loud. Amazing...

On a lamer note, the Iron Flag edition I bought in Fopp a few years back to replace my original will never be played again - I realize now I have the radio-friendly version, with all sweary-words back-masked or silenced. Poor fucking show... :wink:

Among with some more reason stuff, these have also been heavily played and very heavily enjoyed:

The Sabres of Paradise - Sabresonic II
Brian Eno - Here Come The Warm Jets, Before And After Science
Led Zeppelin - Houses Of The Holy
Spacemen 3 - Performance
Hendrix - Band of Gypsys
Prodigy - Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

The last one - holy shit. What an incredible album. Seriously underrated in the Prodigy 'canon' it seems - it's just fucking amazing. Again, it works best when you're barrelling along at full volume, but it's really fucking good. It's a million times better than their previous multi-million selling record... probably didn't help with the lack of vocals on a lot of it, but for me this makes it so much better. Apparently it was also recorded, mixed and mastered entirely on a laptop.... :shock:

Totally agree about Wu-Tang Forever, love that album , as you say so much going on, lot a shit to take in for sure, but I probably play it more than 36 Chambers. Gza- Liquid Swords got to be one of the finest Hiphop albums ever recorded, can I just say while your on this trip , Method Man- Tical, love that album so dark and inventive , and not strictly Wu but its related, Gravediggaz- Niggamortis , dark, psychedelic, funky & funny , RZA definitely involved , you inspired me to dig some Wu out went looking for 8 Diagrams, there`s the box but no cd :?
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Abner Jay
true story of Abner jay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKpflHueZAk
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Hills: Master Sleeps
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I pulled out the first four Sun Dial albums yesterday and was playing them throughout the day and evening ("Other Way Out", "Reflecter", "Libertine" and "Acid Yantra").
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

redcloud wrote:I pulled out the first four Sun Dial albums yesterday and was playing them throughout the day and evening ("Other Way Out", "Reflecter", "Libertine" and "Acid Yantra").
Have you heard Other Way In? Superb tracks from the Other Way Out sessions.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

sunray wrote:
redcloud wrote:I pulled out the first four Sun Dial albums yesterday and was playing them throughout the day and evening ("Other Way Out", "Reflecter", "Libertine" and "Acid Yantra").
Have you heard Other Way In? Superb tracks from the Other Way Out sessions.
I don't think so but I'd love to hear it if you have it.

I do have the "Overspill" EP and "Return Journey". Is there a crossover with these two albums and the sessions/outtakes?
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

The Cardigans - Long Gone Before Daylight
found a hi rez vinyl rip on the internet, is sounding great right now. Would love to own a vinyl copy myself, but the ones out there are just too expensive :roll:
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

beaker73 wrote:The Cardigans - Long Gone Before Daylight
found a hi rez vinyl rip on the internet, is sounding great right now. Would love to own a vinyl copy myself, but the ones out there are just too expensive :roll:
great album! think my favourites are 'communication' and 'then you kissed me' but there's loads of gems on it. seemed to be released without people noticing, so nice to see it getting praise on here. I read they were touring recently so hopefully there'll be a new album at some point?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

lots of Comets on Fire
Galaxie 500 - Peel Sessions
The Beatles- Help!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Had a bit of a Pink Floyd weekend these last few days... all albums up to and including The Wall... also including watching the Live At Pompeii DVD. Thoroughly enjoyed it all!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

niamhm wrote:Totally agree about Wu-Tang Forever, love that album , as you say so much going on, lot a shit to take in for sure, but I probably play it more than 36 Chambers. Gza- Liquid Swords got to be one of the finest Hiphop albums ever recorded, can I just say while your on this trip , Method Man- Tical, love that album so dark and inventive , and not strictly Wu but its related, Gravediggaz- Niggamortis , dark, psychedelic, funky & funny , RZA definitely involved , you inspired me to dig some Wu out went looking for 8 Diagrams, there`s the box but no cd :?
Good stuff - gimme a shout if you don't find your copy of 8 Diagrams... incredible record, beats 36 Chambers for me for sure, just disappointed they didn't get their shit together for an album this year. But yeah, maybe as I got into them later I still can't say I'm the biggest fan of 36 Chambers - it's got a certain rawness but apart from Ghostface and Meth I don't think they have quite found their own styles at that point, just seems a bit unformed. Way prefer Forever and 8 Diagrams and a lot of the solo stuff...

Tical? Yep, that's another good one. His following solo stuff has been patchy but I really like 4.21... The Day After. That's excellent.
O P 8
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Chris Bell- I Am The Cosmos deluxe 2x CD.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

the fauns- 'lights'

this LP finally came in the mail today. it doesn't have a download code, but that just gives me an excuse to stay up late listening to it and converting it so i can listen to it tomorrow too. they're an interesting band- a good mix of dream pop and bombast with some subtle synths and electronics and female vocals (soft and low rather than cooing and high).

earlier today-
galaxie 500- 'on fire' and 'this is our music'
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Dion
Album. Wonder where Im bound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1Ps4yM_KP0
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Mike Parker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22jMIiPYg74

Be interested in your thoughts. Off the scale.

Abstract Acid?
nogoodboyo
Known user

Post by nogoodboyo »

A bit of nostalgia for me this evening.
The Seeds - A web of Sound
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Toy - Join the dots
decided to check this out after reading a rave review on the NME website. And lo and behold, i like it! they sound fun! It is problaby psych by numbers, but well executed and good songs, imho.
it's streaming here: http://3voor12.vpro.nl/luisterpaal/play ... 65082.html
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Staying on the NY tip, this mornin's run completed with a fantastic bootleg of Neil Young & Crazy Horse live in Cincinnati 1970.

Soundboard quality... this is the shit NY needs to be releasing in his individual Archive releases - no more early acoustic shows, please!

Sure, the first half of the gig is solo, with a clearly very baked Neil, but it's just setting the scene for when Molina, Talbot, Whitten and Nietzsche join in - fucking amazing. Unlike the official Fillmore 1970 show from the same tour, this is the full gig with nothing left off...
O P 8
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Is this the setlist from the NY boot?

CD 1:
1. On The Way Home
2. Broken Arrow
3. I Am A Child
4. Helpless
5. Dance, Dance, Dance
6. Sugar Mountain
7. Don't Let It Bring You Down / The Old Laughing Lady
8. The Loner
9. Everybody knows this is Nowhere

CD 2:
1. Winterlong
2. Come On Baby, Let's Go Downtown
3. Wonderin'
4. It Might Have Been
5. Down by the River
6. Cinnamon Girl.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Steppenwolf 7
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Paul Butterfield Blues Band - East West

i reckon the whole West Coast acid rock scene was spawned with the title track....at least a lot of cues were take from it. they never did anything quite like that again either
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

TheWarmth wrote:Is this the setlist from the NY boot?

CD 1:
1. On The Way Home
2. Broken Arrow
3. I Am A Child
4. Helpless
5. Dance, Dance, Dance
6. Sugar Mountain
7. Don't Let It Bring You Down / The Old Laughing Lady
8. The Loner
9. Everybody knows this is Nowhere

CD 2:
1. Winterlong
2. Come On Baby, Let's Go Downtown
3. Wonderin'
4. It Might Have Been
5. Down by the River
6. Cinnamon Girl.
Yes! Once I ripped off the lengthy tuning interludes in the electric set I was able to fit this on one CD right enough...
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Hedspace wrote:Dion
Album. Wonder where Im bound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1Ps4yM_KP0
Oh, just spotted this. Superb album. 'Southern Train' is just amazing... :D
O P 8
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Wooden Shjips- Back To Land,
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

beaker73 wrote:Toy - Join the dots
decided to check this out after reading a rave review on the NME website. And lo and behold, i like it! they sound fun! It is problaby psych by numbers, but well executed and good songs, imho.
it's streaming here: http://3voor12.vpro.nl/luisterpaal/play ... 65082.html
thanks for this! I found their first album a bit psych-lite and a bit formulaic but gonna give this a try.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Led Zeppelin- Houses Of the Holy.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Julianna Barwick } Nepenthe . With track 2 " The Harbinger " on loop.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spunder wrote:Paul Butterfield Blues Band - East West

i reckon the whole West Coast acid rock scene was spawned with the title track....at least a lot of cues were take from it. they never did anything quite like that again either
Not sure if the "whole West Coast Acid Scene" was spawned from the lengthy "E/W" LP but Butterfield and Bishop's shimmering eastern/raga'esque and jazzy scales definitely made many bands take note. I can only imagine what that particular jam would have been like to see live at the Fillmore with liquid light show projections and full volume (not to mention the "other details" that would have been involved!).

I would go as far as saying that 1966 is, arguably, the most significant and important year in rock and roll history. It was ground zero and it was the fuel, ignition and spark that lit a cultural explosion that radically inspired millions of young people and altered the course of rock music, forever. The seeds were definitely sown in '64 and '65 but in my humble opinion, 1966 is the year that pretty much changed the course of rock and roll and "East West" made a significant contribution.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Markley - "A Group". (certainly not the best of the West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band material but there is something quite endearing about it. Although, my wife did say "what the hell is this? It's weird!". :D )

So, I put this on instead and she is enjoying it much more (I think...)

Mighty Baby - "Jug of Love"
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

King Crimson "Starless".
This track fucking kills, so heavy and sinister especially LOUD!!!
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

redcloud wrote:

Not sure if the "whole West Coast Acid Scene" was spawned from the lengthy "E/W" LP but Butterfield and Bishop's shimmering eastern/raga'esque and jazzy scales definitely made many bands take note. I can only imagine what that particular jam would have been like to see live at the Fillmore with liquid light show projections and full volume (not to mention the "other details" that would have been involved!).

I would go as far as saying that 1966 is, arguably, the most significant and important year in rock and roll history. It was ground zero and it was the fuel, ignition and spark that lit a cultural explosion that radically inspired millions of young people and altered the course of rock music, forever. The seeds were definitely sown in '64 and '65 but in my humble opinion, 1966 is the year that pretty much changed the course of rock and roll and "East West" made a significant contribution.
:D i was being a little over enthusiastic, but yeh i am drowning my ears in the early west coast scene at the mo. have you heard this : http://www.amazon.co.uk/East-West-Live- ... B0000034D7

also loving some Airplane boots with Signes from autumn '66 and that 'Signes farewell gig' that was recently released.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Chris Forsyth- Solar Motel
this is late contender for album of the year for me! four extended suites of guitar jamming. there are moments of slightly discordant Sonic Youth territory but mainly it's clean, ringing guitars interlocking and spiralling skywards. if you like Marquee Moon (the song) check it out!
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

angelsighs wrote:Chris Forsyth- Solar Motel
this is late contender for album of the year for me! four extended suites of guitar jamming. there are moments of slightly discordant Sonic Youth territory but mainly it's clean, ringing guitars interlocking and spiralling skywards. if you like Marquee Moon (the song) check it out!
yeah, read good stuff about this...think Uncut gave it a 9/10, might check it out when i get time, only a couple of quid on Amazon d/l
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

spunder wrote:
yeah, read good stuff about this...think Uncut gave it a 9/10, might check it out when i get time, only a couple of quid on Amazon d/l
I think Uncut was where I first read about it too... give it a go, it's brilliant!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Been listening to a new compilation i have put together along with my youngest daughter for my teenage son's Christmas.

We started this idea last year; burning a compilation of songs he liked at the time, creating some nice artwork for the jewel case and inserting a little message from my daughter to her big brother inside the cover. Last years effort was pretty special and i'm certain i heard him say thanks to her (typical sulky teenager of little words usually! :lol: ) and we regularly heard it playing from his room so my daughter was keen to do another this year and is all excited about it already so i've been doing the quality control/test listen today... :D
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

angelsighs wrote:
spunder wrote:
I think Uncut was where I first read about it too... give it a go, it's brilliant!
Check out his collaboration with Koen Holtkamp Early Astral - really excellent, kosmische-y stuff. Koen Holtkamp's record on thrill jockey "Gravity - Bees" is brilliant also.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Hofstadter wrote:
Check out his collaboration with Koen Holtkamp Early Astral - really excellent, kosmische-y stuff. Koen Holtkamp's record on thrill jockey "Gravity - Bees" is brilliant also.
thanks- will do! there is a little bit of kraut in Solar Motel, but's largely fairly clean sounding. will be interesting to hear him get a bit more overtly psychedelic
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Call The Doctor, from Perfect Prescription.

Pure stark, wasted genius. Quite possibly Pete's best song.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spunder wrote:
redcloud wrote:

:D i was being a little over enthusiastic, but yeh i am drowning my ears in the early west coast scene at the mo. have you heard this : http://www.amazon.co.uk/East-West-Live- ... B0000034D7
Haven't heard that PBB album/boot. Careful though because the quality control on some of these releases needs to be tightened. Seems any tapers show regardless of audio quality can get released with fancy artwork and a nice bit of liner notes.
spunder wrote:also loving some Airplane boots with Signes from autumn '66 and that 'Signes farewell gig' that was recently released.
I love Signe-era Airplane. "Takes Off" often comes out of its sleeve right around when the warm sun of summer finds its way out on a regular basis (early July up here in the Pacific Northwest).
nogoodboyo
Known user

Post by nogoodboyo »

The lovely Joan Baez afore I slip into the land of nod.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

White Light/White Heat - 45th Anniversary Deluxe Edition
Got this on CD today. Had never owned it. At first I thought I put the wrong disc in the player- what I heard sounded like poorly recorded demos, but it was the actual release! I love Lou and I've loved the first album for decades, but I wasn't prepared for this. It sounds horrible.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

runaway wrote:White Light/White Heat - 45th Anniversary Deluxe Edition
Got this on CD today. Had never owned it. At first I thought I put the wrong disc in the player- what I heard sounded like poorly recorded demos, but it was the actual release! I love Lou and I've loved the first album for decades, but I wasn't prepared for this. It sounds horrible.
:shock:

I know nothing about the "45th Anniversary Deluxe Edition" but, I have an original copy of WL/WH and it is, and always has been, my favorite VU album of them all. I've always admired the primal rawness of it.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

I'm gonna have to give it another go, but I can't tell you how shocked I was at first listen. "...busy sucking on my ding dong"?
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

runaway wrote:I'm gonna have to give it another go, but I can't tell you how shocked I was at first listen. "...busy sucking on my ding dong"?
ha ha! hilarious FORTY FIVE years later and still has the power to shock....brilliant
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

I get the feeling that fans of WL/WH are the same ones who rave about Astral Weeks and Pacific Ocean Blue...