What Are You Listening To Now?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

olan
Known user

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

Post by olan »

Loop: Heaven's End

Don't know why I play this so rarely. It is excellent.....
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

shalloboi wrote: dirty three- 'toward the low sun' (i feel comfortable in saying that i have trouble getting through the first two tracks but once i do this is my favourite dirty three record in ages).
crazy- they are possibly my two favourites! :)

big thumbs up from me for the live tracks from that Verve video too. when that came out on VHS I used to play it over and over like a proper fanboy. that version of Stormy Clouds is just mindblowing, my other favourite is the version of Lifes An Ocean. it was great hearing live performances from them in really good quality.
doesnt it say on the box where each track was recorded?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I think Stormy Clouds was Chicago. I was at that show.
Life's An Ocean was Detroit.
I think a few sings off the video were shot in Chicago.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

freelovebabies - home improvement for condemned buildings
freelovebabies - written in sand

Wow! To some in here I am probably coming late to these two albums but holy shit, they are incredible! Dreamy, floaty, trancey pop music that makes me feel like I'm on laughing gas.

Superb.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

redcloud wrote:freelovebabies - home improvement for condemned buildings
freelovebabies - written in sand
Two good ones for sure.

Right now, Elvis Presley - Amazing Grace: His Greatest Sacred Performances

Amazing, supercharged gospel music! This is some of The King's greatest material and good demonstration that the church was a big part of the foundation of rock 'n' roll. Essential listening.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

ive just discovered Felt. i am very happy!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Discovered a website full of psych wonders, new and old... up to my eyes in new and already known albums that i haven't heard before. Absolutely superb!

Currently listening to Eternal Tapestry & Sun Araw's Night Gallery... absolutely sublime!
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

ringo deathstarr- 'mauve'

i also made this playlist of psych stuff that i've been listening to lately- http://www.mixcloud.com/shalloboi/psych ... september/
still stuck in the verve k-hole. i'm making it a goal to get 'a storm in heaven' and 'a northern soul' on vinyl.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Neil Young & Crazy Horse-WELD, bought this when it came out ,might have been my first Neil albums certainly one of the last vinyl albums I bought before my recent reintroduction to vinyl ,which means its in pristine condition as its been away for quiet a while ,sounds amazing!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Chris Robinson Brotherhood - The Magic Door

Picked up his new album on my way home from work today. Looking forward to sitting down with a beer or a glass of wine and listening to it later tonight.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Therapy? Troublegum

In wine buff's term: Not much bouquet, but plenty of authority.....
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

olan wrote:Therapy? Troublegum

In wine buff's term: Not much bouquet, but plenty of authority.....
Babyteeth and Pleasuredeath for me. Troublegum was when the downward trajectory began imo.

Spent the afternoon listening to the Cardinal Fuzz releases. Funny, but it's the one I expected least from (Sunlight Service Group) that's by far the best. Grabbed me immediately and not the slightest hint of filler. Pontiacs and ...Demons are good but don't quite get to where they're aiming for.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Animal Collective - Centipede Hz

Grouper - AIA

Sun Araw/Eternal Tapestry - Night Gallery

Sun Araw - Live at Tonalism in Marfa, TX

Sun Araw - Some Other Sorcery

and tomorrow... Sun Araw - the Inner Treaty
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Black Market Karma-Easy Listening (cross between BRMC and BJM) all very good to these ears
Relatively Clean Rivers (70's Hippie folk pysch stuff)
Bardo Pond-Lapsed

also having a blast on some Sun Kill Moon stuff as well
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Creation Rebel - Close Encounters of the Third World
Creation Rebel - Psychotic Junkanoo
Creation Rebel - Dub From Creation
The Asteroid # 4 - These Flowers of Ours
The Asteroid # 4 - Hail To The Clear Figurines
Chris Robinson Brotherhood - The Magic Door
Chris Robinson Brotherhood - Various live
The Grateful Dead - Various live
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

New Order: Portmeiriinon Festival No.6, North-West Wales, 16 September 2012

BBC6 Live transmission downloaded from Dimeadozen

(Utter shite BTW, makes me a bit sad as I used to love New Order)

Does anybody know what the Spiritualized setlist was and if the BBC are going to Broadcast the set?
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Olan, haven't listened to any of the 6Music coverage but New Order were absolutely on fire last night at Portmerion. Just got back to Brighton after an 8 hour drive back from Wales. Have never seen New Order before despite them being one of my favourite bands ever and I was a bit apprehensive about seeing them without Peter Hook but they were incredible. By far the best performance of the weekend. Totally amazing festival. Not without teething problems but it was the first one. Wonderful location, excellent line up and a great atmosphere.

As for Spiritualized, don't think 6Music covered their set as they were only doing the Sunday. Spiritualized were great, but lacked a little something to blow the crowd away like Primal Scream and New Order did. Think Jack or someone might have said the same in a review of their festival appearance in Ireland earlier in the year, but the quiet numbers of Oh Baby and, in this instance, All Of My Tears and Going Down Slow, don't really work for a headline set to those who aren't massive fans. Of course I loved it but there was a lot of chatter and bored faces which weren't there the Primals and New Order headline slots.

From memory (which is useless at the best of times!) their set went something like this:-

Intro
All of My Tears
Electric Mainline
Hey Jane
Heading For The Top
Walking With Jesus
Oh Baby
Going Down Slow
So Long You Pretty Things
She Kissed Me (It Felt Like A Hit)
Take Me To The Other Side

I'm sure the set may have been more than that but that's what I remember. The last 3 tracks were amazing as was the version of WWJ and Electric Mainline. I'm sure a couple of other forumites went so they my be able to fill in the gaps. I'd also be interested to hear other people's thoughts on the festival as Mrs Shines, my friends and I loved it. 8) :D
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Shinesalight wrote:Olan, haven't listened to any of the 6Music coverage but New Order were absolutely on fire last night at Portmerion. Just got back to Brighton after an 8 hour drive back from Wales. Have never seen New Order before despite them being one of my favourite bands ever and I was a bit apprehensive about seeing them without Peter Hook but they were incredible. By far the best performance of the weekend. Totally amazing festival. Not without teething problems but it was the first one. Wonderful location, excellent line up and a great atmosphere.

As for Spiritualized, don't think 6Music covered their set as they were only doing the Sunday. Spiritualized were great, but lacked a little something to blow the crowd away like Primal Scream and New Order did. Think Jack or someone might have said the same in a review of their festival appearance in Ireland earlier in the year, but the quiet numbers of Oh Baby and, in this instance, All Of My Tears and Going Down Slow, don't really work for a headline set to those who aren't massive fans. Of course I loved it but there was a lot of chatter and bored faces which weren't there the Primals and New Order headline slots.

From memory (which is useless at the best of times!) their set went something like this:-

Intro
All of My Tears
Electric Mainline
Hey Jane
Heading For The Top
Walking With Jesus
Oh Baby
Going Down Slow
So Long You Pretty Things
She Kissed Me (It Felt Like A Hit)
Take Me To The Other Side

I'm sure the set may have been more than that but that's what I remember. The last 3 tracks were amazing as was the version of WWJ and Electric Mainline. I'm sure a couple of other forumites went so they my be able to fill in the gaps. I'd also be interested to hear other people's thoughts on the festival as Mrs Shines, my friends and I loved it. 8) :D
Thats the thing about gigs in general and New Order gigs in particular; one person thinks they were shite, the person next to them thinks it was the best gig ever. I saw them play regularly from 1981 - 1989 and since then once in 1993 (Reading) and twice in 2002 (Melbourne). They were never the same band after 1985 live.....

It is good to hear you enjoyed it though. How were Primal Scream? There is another band that are either red hot or not good in my experience. Their sets in Australia about the time of XTRMNTR were awesome, but since then I've enjoyed their gigs but the visceral impact was not there.....
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Shinesalight - please tell me every detail of the Portmerion event. I wanted very much to attend this, but learnt of it too late.

How were Death in Vegas, and where were the bands playing? I went to the venue a few weeks back - were they on micro stages set amongst the village and hotel?
I believe there were little parties that you were meant to stumble onto in the woods? Sounded brilliant, I'd definitely want to go next year.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

KingHarry wrote:Shinesalight - please tell me every detail of the Portmerion event. I wanted very much to attend this, but learnt of it too late.

How were Death in Vegas, and where were the bands playing? I went to the venue a few weeks back - were they on micro stages set amongst the village and hotel?
I believe there were little parties that you were meant to stumble onto in the woods? Sounded brilliant, I'd definitely want to go next year.
Am exhausted and hitting the sack now but will do a proper write up once I've fully recovered. It was so good though. You should definitely go next year if you get the chance.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

So yeah, if you want a bad analogy, Centipede Hertz is like skittles + speed. Super fun. The more and more I listen to it, the more and more I'm loving each song. I was trying to pick out a few highlights, but really with each spin they are all seeming excellent.

Sun Araw - The Inner Treaty - my record store likes to give ya stuff the day before street date if you just ask for it, so I was pretty excited to get this today. For some reason, whenever I visualize the cover, I see a parrot instead of a weird fish. Strange. Still digesting it - certainly sounds clearer than a lot of his other stuff. Grip is an instant highlight. Having seen him play Like Wine a few times, it feels different on record - a bit lighter, more tropical compared to it live, where the bass is so fucking loud it feels like it is knocking your clothing off and dominating everything else - it recedes into the back a bit more here, letting the percussions/other stuff be playful in the foreground - interesting to listen to a song on a record where you have a very distinct perception of it live already but have never heard it recorded - normally it's the other way around. Loving the rest of the album.

Tropical is a good word for (most of) the album.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

It is Julian Cope Day here for no particular reason. So far we have had:
Fried
Psychedelic Revolution
Jehovahkill
Peggy Suicide

We'll probably have a bit of Brain Donor later....
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Dinosaur Jr - I Bet On Sky, outstanding. Since they reformed have just got better and better :D
'Remember, change is not good'
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

BVCP206 wrote:Dinosaur Jr - I Bet On Sky, outstanding. Since they reformed have just got better and better :D
I thought they would struggle to match the magnificence of the last album, Farm, but agree the new one is fantastic!

Just now, both Chris Robinson Brotherhood albums are just getting played daily, along with some of their live shows and some great Grateful Dead shows that some good people have provided me with. The new CRB album is just totally sublime! Another i thought would be hard to match the first one, but this is just unreal!!!! 8) 8)
Last edited by Laz69 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yeah, the new Dinosaur Jr. is excellent. I was actually disappointed a bit when I saw them recently when they only played one song off of Farm. I think that album is killer, too.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

I actually ordered a lovely little bundle from SC Distribution in the states which includes g/f vinyl, ltd cd, ltd 7" with non-album tracks and poster, also came with download code which I received immediately after ordering :D
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

thee oh sees- 'putrifiers ii'
one of their weirder records. very interesting to hear them using string arrangements. a few of the tracks are very 60s sounding as well- they could almost be pinned down to source material. almost.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

BVCP206 wrote:I actually ordered a lovely little bundle from SC Distribution in the states which includes g/f vinyl, ltd cd, ltd 7" with non-album tracks and poster, also came with download code which I received immediately after ordering :D
Arrived today lovely package took 4 days from states hats off to SC brilliant service :D
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Ty Segal Band -Slaughterhouse ,loving the ragged energy on this album :)
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Neil Halstead " Palindrome Hunches "
Saint Etienne " Words and Music "
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Electric Moon - Flaming Lake
Electric Moon - Inferno
Electric Moon - Lunatics
Wo Fat - Jams 2007-12
Grateful Dead - Veneta Oregon Aug 27th 1972
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

runcible wrote:Grateful Dead - Veneta Oregon Aug 27th 1972
For someone who's just started dipping their toes in the GD live shows, i think this is superb! Best version of Sugar Magnolia i've heard yet!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Thee Oh Sees - Putrifier II: Yet another great release. It amazes me how a band so prolific can maintain such a high standard. Usual 60s garage/psych but with added drones and strings (the strings may well be a mellotron).

Thee Oh Sees/Total Control - Split release: Each band gets 4 songs. Superb again. Punkier end of the spectrum.

Pontiacs - El Vivo EP Radio Horizonte: Songs that appear on Bursting apparently recorded for some radio station, can be downloaded free on their Bandcamp page.

Six Organs Of Admittance - Ascent: I liked this, would've liked it more if it had been grittier sounding. A lot rockier than some of the previous releases.

The UFO Club - S/T: Debut album by Christian Bland of The Black Angels with Lee Blackwell from The Nightbeats. More 60s garage/psych with nods to Girl Groups, Bo Diddley and Surf Instrumentals. Some covers in there: Be My Baby, Up In Her Room. Not mind blowing but a pleasant diversion for 45 mins.

Earthless - Live At The Casbah 06 09 2004: Phenomenal. Man I would love to see this lot live.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Dinosaur Jr. - I Bet on Sky

Don't know why it's taken me so long but,believe it or not, this is the first Dinosaur Jr album I've ever bought...and what a corker it is. Did I see a post on here somewhere that their last LP is just as good?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yeah, Farm is excellent. Get that one, for sure. The others that I really enjoy are Green Mind, Where You Been, Bug and You're Living All Over Me. I have to admit that I'm not very familiar with the first, self-titled album.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

Shinesalight wrote:Dinosaur Jr. - I Bet on Sky

Don't know why it's taken me so long but,believe it or not, this is the first Dinosaur Jr album I've ever bought...and what a corker it is. Did I see a post on here somewhere that their last LP is just as good?
You don't know how lucky you are! Dinosaur jr are one of my most listened to bands of the last few years. Given your love for Neil Young and other heavier psych rock bands (right?) I can't see how you wouldn't enjoy a fair bit of their output. I'd advise to skip the first album. It may have an amazing cover, but it's sort of like they recorded it before they found their sound. Feels a bit like demos or something. As The Warmth says, You're Living All Over Me and Bug are great. They are total classics and see the band at their most raw. I like Where You Been a lot too. I read somewhere that someone described that album as their 'alt rock' album, and i guess that's about right? It's pretty dark and introspective but also heavy in places. Great album arc too. Many people love Green Mind, but I found it hard to get into. I tend to ignore the other stuff after that til we get to the reunion albums. Of these, Beyond has some great tracks but is on the whole inconsistent, while Farm sort of encapsulates what I hope for in a new Neil Young album (sorry, lazy comparison!) - great songwriting, riffs and skyscraping extended guitar solos. The J Mascis solo album Different Shades of Why is incredible too. There's lots of acoustic guitar and close-mic'd vocals on that one, but in my opinion it's one of his best. Have fun :D
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

SECTION 25

B,

M
Design.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

the new SoftPack elpee.....its very good.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Tame Impala: Elephant (not sure about this, its a bit Gary Glitter/T-Rex/Glam for my tastes)
The Orb with Lee Scratch Perry: The Orbserver in the star house (not bad at all, superb bowel quaking/trouser flapping bass)
Neil Halstead: Palindrome Hunches (nice, but maybe a bit spineless....)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

freelovebabies - Home Improvement For Condemned Buildings

Runcible sorted me out with this album and it absolutely blew me away. I remember it when it came out but I didn't act on it. Better late than never...what a wonderful discovery. Ended up finding a physical copy on Amazon Marketplace. Didn't pay too much ($20)...as it's out of print that seemed ok plus it included the shipping costs from England. It arrived today and I am playing it very loud over a glass of wine while I cook dinner. Superb album. I love the first one too but I REALLY dig this one.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

redcloud wrote:freelovebabies - Home Improvement For Condemned Buildings

Runcible sorted me out with this album and it absolutely blew me away. I remember it when it came out but I didn't act on it. Better late than never...what a wonderful discovery. Ended up finding a physical copy on Amazon Marketplace. Didn't pay too much ($20)...as it's out of print that seemed ok plus it included the shipping costs from England. It arrived today and I am playing it very loud over a glass of wine while I cook dinner. Superb album. I love the first one too but I REALLY dig this one.
It's great isn't it? Unfortunately my copy appears to have disappeared off the face of the earth. I think I still have two copies of the first album though - one with a little note from Will in it - but no condemned buildings! No mp3 backup here either, so i may have to reinvest in another copy...

Today, I've been listening to this classic album:
http://magoo.bandcamp.com/album/the-soa ... s-of-magoo
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Just had a first listen to the new Tame Impala album and i feel... short changed. In fact, the track Elephant seems to be the highlight. Just seems too awash with synths and has lost that brilliant psych guitar sound and killer songs they managed to capture on their debut.

Was trying to think what it reminded me of... and its just hit me... it reminds me of The Flaming Lips' Yoshi Battles The Pink Robots. The same feeling i felt after hearing that for the first time. I actually enjoyed the The Soft Bulletin, but was really REALLY disappointed when Yoshimi was released.

Bugger... :(
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

That's a bummer. I actually didn't think much of the first Tame Impala album, but I love the new single, so I had (maybe still have) high hopes for the album. Is it streaming somewhere?
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Its out in the interweb...
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

NPR is streaming the new Flying Lotus and Ultarista (Nigel Godrich) albums. Both sound really good. I'd never listened to Flying Lotus before. It wasn't what I had expected, but I like it quite a bit.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Love the first Tame Impala LP and the early eps. Not sure about Elephant, but if it is representative of the LP it is not looking too good...
Last edited by olan on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I've found myself on a Neil Young binge since the weekend:

Zuma, Weld, Rust Never Sleeps, Ragged Glory, Live At Fillmore, Live At Massey Hall have all been on heavy rotation, especially Zuma.

Weld is one i have on vinyl but haven't played since buying it really, and that was in 91 I think. Nearly sold it as it can fetch £80 but glad I didn't. It's got big beefy Crazy Horse balls on it.

The Chromatics 'Kill For Love' (linking to Neil Young with a cover of Hey Hey My My (Into The Black)) is a recent purchase but I'm not too sure about it. The first half is really good but then it drags. Bought it on a whim after liking the Drive Soundtrack. May take it back for a switch to the new Woods album or Moon Duo on Monday.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Spiritualized - Amazing Grace

Just got this version (single LP) off of E-Bay for a fiver plus P&P. Bought the triple vinyl version of it years ago when I didn't have a turntable and was just collecting Spiritualized vinyl but rarely play it as its a bit of a pain keep on changing the records on such a short album. I know it's not every Spiritualized fan's cup of tea but Jason obviously likes it judging by the amount of AG tracks that have made up the set lists in recent years. Mrs Shines walked in to This Little of Life of Mine and said what a racket it was! I really like the album on the whole; O Baby is beautiful, Ballad of Richie Lee and Rated X are haunting and She Kissed Me, Cheapster and the aforementioned This Little Life are all-out ballsy rockers. Lord Let It Rain on Me has been slated in the past for being "Spiritualized by numbers" but I think it really captures all that the band are about. It's also sounding even better in some of their recent live shows.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
debased
Known user

Post by debased »

spunder wrote:the new SoftPack elpee.....its very good.
I loved their first album but I was concerned about this new one after hearing the three "preview" tracks: Saratoga, Tallboy & Bobby Brown. It seemed as if they (or the record label) went out of their way to pick songs that sounded little like the first album. I've now had a chance to hear Strapped and I'm impressed (and relieved).
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I bought The Soft Pack's Strapped and the new Dinosaur Jr. album yesterday and both are killer. Strapped hasn't been getting very positive reviews, but I like it a lot, so far. "Bobby Brown" and "Tallboy" are both excellent singles. The sax is a nice new element. They had an dude switching between sax and keys when they played Chicago a few months ago.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Ty Segal -The Hill ,awesome new single of next album ,third album this year and this sounds the best yet,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQwLneB9qkk
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Colour Haze - Tempel
Colour Haze - Los Sounds Des Krauts
Colour Haze - s/t
Electric Moon - Inferno
Electric Moon - Flaming Lake

Two contemporary German bands that are heavy psych and very jammy. Electric Moon have a couple tracks that are nearing the one hour mark. Both are really great to get oneself lost into. Great new discovery.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Shinesalight wrote:I know it's not every Spiritualized fan's cup of tea but Jason obviously likes it judging by the amount of AG tracks that have made up the set lists in recent years. Mrs Shines walked in to This Little of Life of Mine and said what a racket it was! I really like the album on the whole; O Baby is beautiful, Ballad of Richie Lee and Rated X are haunting and She Kissed Me, Cheapster and the aforementioned This Little Life are all-out ballsy rockers. Lord Let It Rain on Me has been slated in the past for being "Spiritualized by numbers" but I think it really captures all that the band are about. It's also sounding even better in some of their recent live shows.
I agree. To me Amazing Grace is a great record, and a bracing correction of the excesses of the previous few albums. It's lean, focused, and has some great songs -- Richie Lee, Rated X, and Lay It Down Slow are among my favorites. Never Goin' Back may be as hard as J has ever rocked on album. And really I like everything. Even The Power And The Glory feels more concise than many of J's other instrumentals.

To anyone who says the album is Spiritualized by numbers -- isn't that sort of the essence of what J does? It's all about refinements and reimaginings of the same basic formula.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

jadams501 wrote:
Shinesalight wrote:I know it's not every Spiritualized fan's cup of tea but Jason obviously likes it judging by the amount of AG tracks that have made up the set lists in recent years. Mrs Shines walked in to This Little of Life of Mine and said what a racket it was! I really like the album on the whole; O Baby is beautiful, Ballad of Richie Lee and Rated X are haunting and She Kissed Me, Cheapster and the aforementioned This Little Life are all-out ballsy rockers. Lord Let It Rain on Me has been slated in the past for being "Spiritualized by numbers" but I think it really captures all that the band are about. It's also sounding even better in some of their recent live shows.
I agree. To me Amazing Grace is a great record, and a bracing correction of the excesses of the previous few albums. It's lean, focused, and has some great songs -- Richie Lee, Rated X, and Lay It Down Slow are among my favorites. Never Goin' Back may be as hard as J has ever rocked on album. And really I like everything. Even The Power And The Glory feels more concise than many of J's other instrumentals.

To anyone who says the album is Spiritualized by numbers -- isn't that sort of the essence of what J does? It's all about refinements and reimaginings of the same basic formula.
i still really love 'amazing grace' as well. the loud guitars on it sound perfect- nice and huge and biting. i'm a pretty big fan of all of the production on it, actually- everything has a great amount of clarity without sacrificing character.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Very different than pretty much everything that gets posted on this board pretty much ever, but I'm enjoying this a ton right now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyVW1uLFYT8

Just thought I'd drop it here for fun.

Also: Assorted Bardo Pond albums, as well as the two Hash Jar Tempo albums. REALLY digging this stuff a LOT.

Also, new Moon Duo.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

VOIVOD — Astronomy Domine

M
Design.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Carlton Melton: Photos of photos
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

olan wrote:Carlton Melton: Photos of photos
Is it good?
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Laz69 wrote:
olan wrote:Carlton Melton: Photos of photos
Is it good?
The 12" e.p. that comes bundled with the album is simply brilliant. I've played it a couple of times so haven't got into the LP yet.

More later....

[Edit]

Have listened to the album now. It is very good, seems far more melodic than recent efforts. Nice drones and a very laid back almost dreamy atmosphere. There is a sense that the album is less lo-fi too, which helps as it appears to me that this is far more accessible than the early e.p.s.

FWIW, I suggest that you buy the limited edition LP if you get the option. The free 12" is very special indeed.

Summary: Bought two LPs today, Circles by Moon Duo and Carlton Melon's photo's of photos. I prefer Moon Duo's LP, I suspect it will be way up my list of favourite records of the year. The Carlton Melton LP shouldn't be far behind. Bloody good day's shopping really.....
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Grizzly Bear- Shields. anyone else got this yet? listened a few times, it's not grabbing me as yet but I have faith it will click as all their albums have been the very definition of 'growers' for me. reviews have been saying it's a more rocky sounding Grizzly Bear, I wouldn't go that far but there are definitely some relatively muscular moments and also some Beatles-esque poppy songs.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

olan wrote:FWIW, I suggest that you buy the limited edition LP if you get the option. The free 12" is very special indeed....
Definitely want to get hold of that 12"... Really want to hear that live version of "When You're In"', that's one of my favourite songs of the last few years. Will hopefully get my hands on it at their upcoming Brigton shown.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

angelsighs wrote:Grizzly Bear- Shields. anyone else got this yet? listened a few times, it's not grabbing me as yet but I have faith it will click as all their albums have been the very definition of 'growers' for me. reviews have been saying it's a more rocky sounding Grizzly Bear, I wouldn't go that far but there are definitely some relatively muscular moments and also some Beatles-esque poppy songs.
i've had this for a while (one of the preorders i made that actually arrived early). i like it more than 'veckatimest,' it might be one of those albums that's so consistent nothing really leaps out at you- 'yellow house' was like that for me at first. i like the opening and closing tracks, 'adelma,' 'yet again' and 'the hunt' is pretty cool as well if you isolate it and listen to it by itself. it's kind of tough to pick much up as you're listening to the whole thing because there's so much going on. i don't like it as much as 'yellow house.'
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

In anticipation of their new album and upcoming live show in Brighton, and also to take the edge of filling in my tax return, I've had an evening of listening to:-

Carlton Melton - Pass It On
Carlton Melton - Country Ways
Carlton Melton - Smoke Drip

Not sure if the text man would approve of them, but they seemed to inspire me into completing it. :D
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Amazingly, I stumbled on two Jeff Kelly (Green Pajamas) solo albums when thumbing through some used cd's and both are absolutely superb. I have most PJ's releases but for whatever reason I didn't have any of Kelly's solo work. More proof, if it was ever needed, at how wonderful a songwriter Kelly is. All of it is set to a gorgeous backdrop of thick, warm, fuzzy psychedelic guitar pop.

'Indiscretion' - Kelly dealing candidly with his Catholic background. Tremendous!
'From The Swan in the Hallway' - While hanging out in England Kelly wrote many of these songs. Just brilliant!!
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Friend sent me his rip of the new GY!BE lp/7"... brilliant. I was sad because the pre-order was out by the time I got home the other day, but I'm actually glad that happened because CST just linked to SC Distribution earlier today which is domestic, so I got it for $20 instead of $32 (what it would have been if I had ordered directly from CST b/c of shipping). So excited. EDIT: I guess I got so lucky because they had completely not added shipping at all - I got an email today saying there was a 'glitch' with my order and it had been voided - luckily there were still some left so I just reordered it!

Oneohtrix Point Never and Tim Hecker - Instrumental Tourist, if this is an album that you would expect yourself to like, then you will LOVE it. The label sent me and a buddy a copy of it early, and I'm ecstatic right now. It feels like you're drifiting through its own dreamsphere (obviously not a word, but I'll make it up. Feels appropriate for the album). Dreamspace is a better word, but still not quite real. Great album to close your eyes and slip into a trance for. Although the last OPN album didn't initially strike me as really good at all, it did grow on me a lot, however I think this is MUCH better. As 'interesting' as some people might argue Replica was, this is MUCH more engaging and enjoyable to listen to. It's really quite cool the way you can totally hear when Lopatin is going to work and when Hecker is. This is the third excellent collaborative effort from Lopatin though (Channel Pressure, FRKWYS 7, and this) in less than 2 (?) years. Pretty impressed right now. Think he works much better when with others.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Sera Cahoone - Deer Creek Canyon