pedals

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

marcvolta
Known user

pedals

Post by marcvolta »

does anyone have any idea what the pedal jason and doggen are using now adays is, it looks like it has an animal on it, i know j. had a trem/pan, colorsound wah, and a rat but what was the other thing???????
TheWarmth
Known user

Re: pedals

Post by TheWarmth »

marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

nah, that wasnt it, it looked to me to be a boost pedal of some sort and my eyes arent goog but it may have had a buffalo on it i think it was blue

i like that wah though!!!!!!!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm not sure what that would be. There is a fuzz pedal called the Buffalo Phuz, but it's not blue.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Was it not an A/B switch, for when he uses that little Fender Superchamp (eg the start of YLYC) instead of the big Marshall half-stack? I've noticed the other amp mic'd up in a few recent pictures, so he'd need some switching box unless the FOH were doing it, which seems unlikely.

Also it could be a switching box for the Marshall head - I don't know what type he is using, but most have some sort of option to footswitch channels, reverb on/off, etc.

Re. the panning tremolo mentioned above - whilst I've heard the tremolo used quite a lot, I never noticed a panning effect on/at recent gigs...though there could be other explanations for that :wink:
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
scarecrowz
Known user

Post by scarecrowz »

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpo ... stcount=12

Looks like Doggen and Jason are both using BBE Boosta Grande pedals on this tour

http://www.bbesound.com/products/stomp_ ... /index.asp

As far as I could tell, the Super Champ was being used for the vocals on YLYC, rather than the guitar?
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

Thats the one!!!!! thanks alot
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

Cool to see that Doggen has the Little Big Muff (IMHO, one of the best fuzzes out there, regardless of price) and the ultra rare Boss red Delay. You know, I would have thought that their rigs would have been about twice that size....
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

nice one, its always nice to see some pictures of gear. just took delivery of my vintage colorsound wah last week. Its the best Wah pedal I have ever heard. Ever. Ever. pure evil 8)
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Does his Wah have built in Fuzz?
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

my one or Jasons? Mine doesn't. but its range is like nothing Ive heard before. from screeching highs to deep lows. magical. if you see one buy it.
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

im not positive, but i think J. is just using a colorsound Wah Wah, on this tour, not the fuzz wah
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

Ah, is this coloursound wah really that good then?

I always played a dunlop crybaby wah, which I've always thought was the business. I should really stop buying any pedals.

By the way, who was it here that plays the Z-Vex Fuzz Factory? Is it any good?
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Ah, is this coloursound wah really that good then?
Everywhere I looked on the net I read it was the best you can get. I got it from ebay (shipped from the states) and was dubious as I have a few others (new Colorsound Wah - from macaris and a vox wah) due to a bit of a crazy couple of months buying too much stuff. I mean how much better can one wah be compaired to another? will it sound all scratchy and crap when you turn it on? Honestly. It is hands down the best wah I've ever heard. Judging by the sheffield bootleg I'd say hes using a colorsound wah. Same kick when you turn it on. Its beautiful! Keep your eyes on Ebay.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Pierce has used Colorsound wahs forever. There are a ludicrous number of different variations on the wah that Colorsound made, mostly in the 70's (wah, wah-wah supremo, fuzz-wah, wah-fuzz-straight, wah-swell, etc. etc.). Sometimes you have to install a new pot (or have a tech do it for you) on these, as they do tend to go bad and get scratchy over time. The photo above of J's pedals shows that his wah has a blue enclosure, which leads me to believe that it isn't just a standard CS wah (those were normally in dark gray enclosures), but without seeing the guts or at least the badge on the front, it's hard to tell which model it is.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

radioshack wrote:By the way, who was it here that plays the Z-Vex Fuzz Factory? Is it any good?
I wish it was me [/envy]

To answer the second question - it's a Z. Vex :!: I've never heard a bad pedal of his, I just can't afford them all :(
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I use the ZVex Super Hard On for clean boost and it's great. I tried the Tremolo Probe and didn't like it. The Fuzz Factory seems like a lot of un-usable craziness with a few sweet spots. If you're looking for a killer fuzz, I'd try to track down anything by David Main aka D*A*M (Yorkshire, UK). I've got quite a few of his pedals and they're all mind-blowing.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/sho ... 0&format=0

think this could be the source of this
whilst I've heard the tremolo used quite a lot, I never noticed a panning effect on/at recent gigs...though there could be other explanations for that
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

I cant use my colorsound wahwah. Last few times i tried to use it it seems to pick up some radio signal or something i can hear coming through my amps. Anyone got any ideas? I havent got a clue about such matters...
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

try giving Macaris in London a shout as they originally them and should be able to help you out. I had that with a tremelo pedal I bought recently but It only happened once. odd? anyways good luck mate!

http://www.macaris.co.uk/
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

Someone was asking who plays a Fuzz Factory. I have one, it's pretty cool, it's got oscillation which means that you can do all this theremin styled freakout stuff. I wish it had tone and a bass knob and it's VERY bright and piercing....the antithesis of a Big Muff on full counterclockwise tone knob rotation....but it's pretty cool. A bit overpriced for what you get though, it should be 50 bucks cheaper, more in line with the Voodoo Labs Superfuzz prices. The Little Big Muff (Doggen has the right idea) is the best fuzz, IMHO, because it has alot of low end if you need it and the low end drives tubes harder which gets a little more nastiness out of it, IMHO. I like the sound of the LBM better than the NYC regular Muff reissues, though that one's good too. I've tried to find a better fuzz, but price-wise and sound-wise, you can't beat the damn thing! :lol:
I cant use my colorsound wahwah. Last few times i tried to use it it seems to pick up some radio signal or something i can hear coming through my amps. Anyone got any ideas? I havent got a clue about such matters...
That brings up another good point--the Fuzz Factory picks up RF (radio frequency) signals like a bitch. You could mod it to take that stuff out, but I always have a feeling that the real "open-ness" and wildness of certain pedals that pick up RF is due to the fact that they're high gain, crazy pedals to begin with and that taking out the RF would take out some of the edge inherent in the pedals' sound.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

simonkeeping wrote:http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/sho ... 0&format=0

think this could be the source of this
whilst I've heard the tremolo used quite a lot, I never noticed a panning effect on/at recent gigs...though there could be other explanations for that
I just noticed he is using the discontinued PN-2 on the photo posted on the TGP page link, but it seems to be wired in mono. Curious why he doesn't just use the common TR-2 that replaced it, as whilst the PN-2 goes for daft amounts on eBay these days, I'm sure I read somewhere there was a good reason Boss stopped making it to do with volume-drop issues and buffering problems, plus the TR-2 offers more control over the waveform.
Dave Chappelle
LVX Timothy
New user

Post by LVX Timothy »

That Colorsound Wah that J is using is probably this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/COLORSOUND-SUPA-WAH ... 286.c0.m14

which is a mid-70s fuzz-wah. I'm personally fond of my original 60s Dallas-Arbiter Fuzzface but I usually only use it in the studio as it turns my ES335 into an uncontrollable feedback monster in live settings. Those colorsound wahs do look pretty sweet. Maybe it's time for me to upgrade from the Morley volume/wah I've been using for the last few years.

By the way, nice meeting you folks, I've been coming on this forum for years but just now decided to post.
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

Welcome Tim--well, welcome to the posting section!
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

I just bought a line 6 m13 stompbox modeler. It's got a couple of colorsound mods in there...
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I just had my Colorsound wah modded by David Main of D*A*M (Yorkshire, UK). It's now a fuzz wah with a three-way selector switch (fuzz, fuzz-wah or regular wah). It's in the mail right now and I'm super excited to get it back.

marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

On the subject of the PN-2, i just bought a Behringer TP300, its a knock off of the Boss PN-2, it sounds pretty good, and was only $25. You cant really beat that

http://www.behringer.com/TP300/index.cfm?lang=ENG
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

Yeah, except that it's a Behringer, ha ha ha.
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

I certainly understand what you mean by the Behringer comment, but the pedal was 25 bucks, as opposed to 150, ill gladly play the behringer till it breaks and then throw it away or circuit bend it.

dont knock it till ya try it
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

Some Behringer stuff I think is probably more maligned than it should be, but I always get the impression that those cheap plastic boxes are gonna cave in during a show or something, in essence, you're probably paying less because of the cheap housings. Paying more usually means that you get something that doesn't break down....Boss is even kinda maligned by boutique pedal snobs, but they're really reliable and sturdy and really aren't that expensive.

A Bad Monkey doesn't cost that much, but it's built MILES better than the Behringer stuff with the metal housing. Behringer's upper end stuff--like the Vintage Tube Monster and those types of pedals are sturdier, but they also cost more, too. Different strokes for different folks though, whatever works for them is cool by me, because i'm sort of in between a budget "whatever sounds best" stance and the really elitist boutique guys that think that ZVex isn't boutique because there's more than 10 people playing the pedals, ha ha ha.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

The very idea of "pedal snobs" worries me greatly.
O P 8
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

Re: pedal snobs. Hell, you should check out the Harmony Central forums, everyone comparing boards in an extended and disguised "who has the longest cock?" contest. :D :cry:
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for most of the time and my pedalboard is stocked with "boutique" pedals. Of course, you do run into diminishing returns when you start paying for the really high end stuff, but I wouldn't trade my Toneczar pedals for anything.

I just got a ZVex Lo Fi Loop Junky ... awesome! Highly recommended.
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

I stand by my choice in buying the behringer, as i did also buy a colorsound wah/ fuzz in the same week

i mainly wanted to see how the trem pan pedal would differ from my ehx stereo pulsar

has anyone ever tried any of the death by audio pedals, or the blue beard fuzz?

im also wondering if anyone has the new space echo double pedal, i have a real RE-201, and am wondering how the new thing sound, i dont like taking my 201 out to shows as its a fragile little beast
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

i mainly wanted to see how the trem pan pedal would differ from my ehx stereo pulsar
to make those trem pan pedals work properly do you need two amps? Im a bit rubbish when it comes to tech stuff.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

simonkeeping wrote:
to make those trem pan pedals work properly do you need two amps? Im a bit rubbish when it comes to tech stuff.
Correct.

Also, regarding the Behringer pedals, a friend of mine has their vibrato unit, but you have to hold down the switch to keep the effect on. It doesn't have the standard on/off switch. Is that the way they all are? Seems awkward.
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

no, mine works just like a boss pedal, step on it to turn it on, step on it again to turn it off
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

marcvolta wrote:I stand by my choice in buying the behringer, as i did also buy a colorsound wah/ fuzz in the same week

How does it compare? Also have you tried them with a bass? I'm drawn to the EH for obvious/sentimental reasons, but the dual mono input on the Behringer future-proofs it when used in series with another stereo output pedal, and seems a smart choice.

Currently the only tremolo I can use is on my Zoom B2, but it sounds really poor. I'm interested to know if it's simply the case that trem generally doesn't sound that good on bass. However the pedal lists on places like TalkBass, Basschat & TGP would suggest otherwise, but there also seem to be a lot of bass players out there using boxes that really suck bottom end in my experience.

Out of interest has anyone noticed what fx the new bass player is using? I've noticed he seems to be playing a Fender Jag bass in all the footage I've seen, with either a Marshall stack or classic Ampeg SVT rig.
Dave Chappelle
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Actually, the bassist was using a Burns bass last night. I was expecting the Jag, as I think that's what he played at Pitchfork.
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

Someone mentioned the EHX Stereo Pulsar. The micro one? That's the one that I have and it has so many tweakable trem parameters that it makes it one of the most valuable trem pedals out there. My problem with most trems (even tube trems in amps) is that they're either too slow at the fastest speed or too fast at the slowest speed; or too deep at the minimum depth position, not subtle enough. I like a really slow and subtle trem to a really slow and deep trem, to a really undulating quicker trem, to a really damaged sounding trem. The Micro Stereo Pulsar does all of that.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Does anyone know the difference between the standard colorsound wah wah and the colorsound supa wah wah? Ive found myself spending a little too long on ebay recently...
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

mojo filters wrote:
marcvolta wrote:I stand by my choice in buying the behringer, as i did also buy a colorsound wah/ fuzz in the same week

How does it compare? Also have you tried them with a bass? I'm drawn to the EH for obvious/sentimental reasons, but the dual mono input on the Behringer future-proofs it when used in series with another stereo output pedal, and seems a smart choice.

Currently the only tremolo I can use is on my Zoom B2, but it sounds really poor. I'm interested to know if it's simply the case that trem generally doesn't sound that good on bass. However the pedal lists on places like TalkBass, Basschat & TGP would suggest otherwise, but there also seem to be a lot of bass players out there using boxes that really suck bottom end in my experience.

Out of interest has anyone noticed what fx the new bass player is using? I've noticed he seems to be playing a Fender Jag bass in all the footage I've seen, with either a Marshall stack or classic Ampeg SVT rig.
I don't think he's using any effects. Personally, I thought he was the weak link in Jason's lineup. Maybe I'm just pissed off at seeing a below-average performance, but it seemed to me he had that "deer in the headlights" thing going all night...
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Horrorflick wrote:
mojo filters wrote:

I don't think he's using any effects. Personally, I thought he was the weak link in Jason's lineup. Maybe I'm just pissed off at seeing a below-average performance, but it seemed to me he had that "deer in the headlights" thing going all night...
Surely he uses a compressor/limiter?!?

From the footage on YouTube, of various gigs (plus live @ KOKO) he seems to bash his bass to good effect, in such a fashion you'd need some modulation fx, plus vol/trem, to make the most of those white-noise jams, the best clearly being at the end of TMTTOS.

It's v easy to be critical of bass players, if they don't get the chance to indulge in Jaco or John Entwistle-style cock-waving antics ...but if he's in check with the rhythm section, and underpins bluesy nos starting with Cheapster and then the rest, to good effect; lots of musicians primarily work the bass clef to little or no appreciation...I'm sure plenty of folks round here appreciated his good work through the recent A&E promo gigs - it sounded fine to me.
Dave Chappelle
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

He definitely has some sort of distortion that he uses in the white noise parts and on YLYC.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

The bass player definitely uses some sort of fuzz box- I noticed it when they were soundchecking earlier in the year. Thats the only pedal he had though.

For what its worth, I think he's doing a great job- best bass player since Sean Cook I reckon.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Same here, I think hes got it sounding good. I also like his John Enwhistle standing on the spot. Its a good look.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Agreed, he seems really in sync with both the rhythm section and the guitars 8)

...however can he swap over and knock one out on the harp live, like Sean Cook used to do on These Blues at the end of the set in the late 90's?
Dave Chappelle
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

mojo filters wrote: ...however can he swap over and knock one out on the harp live, like Sean Cook used to do on These Blues at the end of the set in the late 90's?
doubtful!! Although Doggen can knock one out on the harp- Sam could play the bass like Kate did. He wouldnt look as good in a miniskirt though..
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

looks like hes ditched the colorsound wah and gone for a crybaby.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/neumos/2864780749/
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

angelsighs wrote:...doubtful!! Although Doggen can knock one out on the harp- Sam could play the bass like Kate did. He wouldnt look as good in a miniskirt though..
Maybe Doggen could put a picture of Kate on his pedal board, then he could be knocking one out all night if needs be...personally I'd prefer to hear just his guitar, which seems to have just got better during this tour - roll on October!
Dave Chappelle
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Sam uses an ODB 3 for his distorted bass effects.

(I asked him via myspace)
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

FWIW, here's the pedal/guitars from the Echo show last week...

Jason's pedals:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/quartzcity/2871622875/

Doggen:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/quartzcity/2872456504/

Guitars (it's missing the Jag bass though):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/quartzcity/2871623943/
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

TheWarmth wrote:I use the ZVex Super Hard On for clean boost and it's great. I tried the Tremolo Probe and didn't like it. The Fuzz Factory seems like a lot of un-usable craziness with a few sweet spots. If you're looking for a killer fuzz, I'd try to track down anything by David Main aka D*A*M (Yorkshire, UK). I've got quite a few of his pedals and they're all mind-blowing.
Just as a counterpoint, I tried out a Fuzz Factory and a Zoom UltraFuzz and ended up going with the UltraFuzz. It's a little more predicable and plays well with the rest of my effects chain. Worth the effort to track down.

It's still not the perfect fuzz though, and after pawing through a couple dozen different boutique effect I don't believe any one pedal is. I still end up switching between a UltraFuzz, a commie Big Muff, a Rat, and a Colorsound Tone Bender but the Rat is what I usually drag to gigs.
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

marcvolta wrote:im also wondering if anyone has the new space echo double pedal, i have a real RE-201, and am wondering how the new thing sound, i dont like taking my 201 out to shows as its a fragile little beast
The new Space Echo is a good pedal and is a very good recreation of the original tape model. I'd probably buy one if I wasn't standardized on the Moog delay.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

New space echo? Cool
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

What is the orange stomp box they were all using?
I think it's kind of funny that they are using the green boss tremolo. I have one of those, never found it extremely impressive.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

What is the orange stomp box they were all using?
Is a booster Grande. Picked up one on ebay. they are nice pedals. Solid!
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

What is that?
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Thank you!
ragmop
Known user

Post by ragmop »

i'd say the blue colorsound is a wah-swell, i have one and can get similar sounds to spaceman out of it, also i mentioned the pedal to him at one of the jazz gigs a few years back and he offered to buy it off me, guess he likes them...
D.
Known user

Post by D. »

does anyone here have any experience with "The Sweet" pedal by Frantone?

thanks
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Ive been listening to the most recent bootleg posted up on here by tufty and during TMTTOS I can't get my head around the tremelo pan pedal. Its sounds like its got a phaser, delay and numerous other effects on there. The only effect I can't regconise is the tremelo itself. Is he still using it or it it just effects triggered from the sound desk? Im loving the really Dubby echo on there too.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

D. ... I actually have Frantone's The Sweet and I'm afraid it's a pretty awful pedal. I know a lot of people dig Frantone's stuff adn the Vibutron gets big props in effects communities, but I absolutely would not recommend the Sweet. I'm a pretty big fuzz pedal freak and can recommend many other options if you're interested.

BTW, Frantone recently upped their prices and The Sweet now sells for $340 or something.
D.
Known user

Post by D. »

thanks for the response
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

Would it be horribly geeky if people here started posting their setups, or at least their favourite pedals. You guys seem to be familiar with a whole load of names I've never heard of, and I'm always looking for a better pedal/setup to play with.