pedals

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

dselevan2
Known user

Re: pedals

Post by dselevan2 »

There was a pedal that I only used once, that I miss terribly, and that was the dan electro reverse delay. I always use the Dan Echo pedal (the purple one). Very cheap pedal that sounds great.
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

radioshack wrote:Would it be horribly geeky if people here started posting their setups, or at least their favourite pedals. You guys seem to be familiar with a whole load of names I've never heard of, and I'm always looking for a better pedal/setup to play with.
Muahahahaaaa
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'd be happy to post details of my rig, but I'm afriad I might get slapped with the gear snob label pretty quickly. Oh well ... hang on and I'll post it.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Here's a photo:
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u82/ ... er2008.jpg

Breakdown (clockwise from the bottom right):

Expression pedal (controls repeats of the delay), Klon boost/overdrive > Toneczar Dove overdrive > D*A*M Meathead fuzz > Foxrox Aquavibe > Sonic Research tuner > Basic Audio Scarab fuzz > RMC Wizard wah > ZVex Super Hard On (clean boost) > Toneczar Halophaze (phaser) > Toneczar Powerglide (tremolo) > Toneczar Echoczar (delay) > Toneczar Angel Baby (3rd delay channel + modulation).

I have since replaced the RMC wah with a D*A*M-modded Colorsound fuzz-wah.

Dorky enough for you?
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

I applaud your dorkiness. If anyone frowns don't worry because I appreciate it.

I'll try post mine at some point, though there isn't much of a point as it doesn't throw up anything too interesting name-wise. I don't even think I've got my pedals in the correct order either. Well, not in an order where I can get the best sound.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Basic Audio Scarab fuzz
Hey Warmth, Im digging the the look of this! very, very smooth. thanks for posting your setup. I'll get my camera out at some point and do the same.
cheers
si
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The Basic Audio amps and pedals are great. He does custom builds upon request and they're affordable. That fuzz pedal only cost me $150. Here is his website:

http://mrdwab.com/john/
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Who thinks batteries sound better than 9v adapters?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

It depends on what kind of effect you're talking about. Generally, people say that fuzz/od/distortion pedals sound a little better on batteries than adaptors. Personally, I've never done an AB comparison, but it's too frustrating to worry about a battery dying, so I use a power supply.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Have had to put my pedal-buying temptations on hold, having just splashed out slightly irresponsibly on 2 guitars, but here's my fx chain, though as I use the same rig for guitar and bass I tend to swap things around a lot:

Morley Power Wah > Danelectro OD > EH Bassballs (probably the finest pedal I've ever heard for bass) > Yamaha stereo chorus > EH Sovtek Small Stone > Zoom B2 > cheap plastic volume pedal (can't remember name); then in the amp or mixer fx loop - an ancient echo unit called "Echorder"

Next on the 'gear aquisition syndrome' list is proper tremolo, but need to find one that doesn't suck bottom end, to use with the bass. Also a power supply, but can't decide whether it's worth paying the extra for a Pedal Power 2 or similar with individual regulated outputs, or buy a simple daisy chain.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

i just recently got over my obsession with buying pedals and whatnot. i'm strangely quite happy with what i have and have no need to buy anything new for a while. at some point i think i'm going to buy one of those roland space echoes. i finally got a pedal board before my band went on tour and that was really nice. i don't think i really have much that's that special, really-

boss tremolo>boss dd-5>another boss dd-5>rat>marshall shredmaster>crybaby wah>vox over the top boost>fender chromatic tuner (someone found this on the street and gave it to me for free and while it's not as good as a boss one it works just fine).

i should probably get a pedal to make loops with, but i'm not too fond of line 6 pedals- they sound a bit too clean. i usually use one of the dd5s to sample drones to play over and i don't have much of a need as of yet to make real clean sounding pristine loops.
most of the sounds i need comes either from a yamaha spx 90 (i use the reverse gate a ton, a simple hall reverb with different lengths and a gated plate reverb) or the reverb on my fender twin. and volume. lots and lots of volume.
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

radioshack wrote:Would it be horribly geeky if people here started posting their setups, or at least their favourite pedals. You guys seem to be familiar with a whole load of names I've never heard of, and I'm always looking for a better pedal/setup to play with.
Here's what my pedal board looked like in June when my band was recording.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/quartzcity/2566772122/

I've made a couple more changes since then mostly for gigging/practicing purposes. The Doppleganger is terribly sensitive to AM radio interference, so I've swapped it out for an E.H. Flanger Hoax and I've back to using a RAT for distortion instead of the commie-era Big Muff. The fuzzes change all the time, but it's always either a RAT, Big Muff, Colorsound Tone Bender, Zoom UltraFuzz or a combination of them.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Hey Chris,
Nice board. I used to have a Doppleganger, too, but I found that it was a little too subtle for my taste. How's the Wobbulator?
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

TheWarmth wrote:Hey Chris,
Nice board. I used to have a Doppleganger, too, but I found that it was a little too subtle for my taste. How's the Wobbulator?
For ne the Wobbulator is completely essential. Best tremolo pedal I've used.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Cool, I'd love to try one, but they're too damn expensive. I'm using the Toneczar Powerglide for tremolo, but I understand that there is now a massive waiting list for those, as there is for most of his pedals.
nialist
New user

Post by nialist »

i don't think i've got anything particularly special and would love to have some of the pedals mentioned on here but finding the cash is the issue.
jim unlop wah/vol - EHX #1 Echo - EHX Small Stone - EHX Stereo Pulsar - Boss Stereo Flange (with outstanding gate / pan setting) - Planet Waves tuner

I used to have one of those Vox Boost unit - mine was the Brit Boost - but I got rid of it after about a week as my peavey sounded terrible with the boost engaged - what's the OVer the Top like.? - get a sweet tone from ovedriven amp and use the Boost switch on the wah/vol for those times when really need to be heard
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

TheWarmth wrote:Cool, I'd love to try one, but they're too damn expensive. I'm using the Toneczar Powerglide for tremolo, but I understand that there is now a massive waiting list for those, as there is for most of his pedals.
I was actually on the waiting list for one of those just before his computer crashed and everything reset. I was desperate for a something which had pedal-controlled rate and I ended up going with the Wobulator (plus the one I found was on sale locally)
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

I've never tried any of those. In high school I bought a dunlop tremolo pedal which worked just like a wah but the pedal controlled the rate of tremolo. It was awesome and cheap. I don't know if they still make them.

"Another JimDunlop Pedal. TVP-1 Tremolo Volume Plus. The TVP-1 is a two-in-one rocker pedal that incorporates both the Tremolo and a Studio Volume Controller. Key features of the Tremolo include: Two styles of Tremolo, both sine and trapezoidal envelopes. Foot pedal controlled variable speed. Effect intensity control knob. Quiet on/off switching with hi-rel hardware. Key features of the Studio Volume Controller include: Active volume pedal with up to 6db boost. Adjustable attenuation of signal. Toe down adjustment from 0db to +6db. Heel down adjustment from 0db to off. On/Off full bypass mode. "
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Dave that sounds genius! Im going to look on Ebay right now.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

nialist wrote:what's the OVer the Top like.? - get a sweet tone from ovedriven amp and use the Boost switch on the wah/vol for those times when really need to be heard
it's kind of marketed as basically being the top boost from a vox ac30 in a pedal, but it really isn't exactly- it gets you a nice dirty tone, though and you can get a ton of gain out of it if you want to. i mainly use it for a dirty tone between clean and distorted because it gives it a good amount of definition with the gain and then when you kick the distortion on it sounds really good. it sounds completely different dependent on where you put it in the chain.
sparky
New user

Post by sparky »

I've got a line switcher, with one side going into rat -> DOD thrash master -> cry baby -> boss delay/pitchshifter, the other going into a cheap zoom multieffects thingy. So I can run two sets of effects in parallel, which I think is quite cool... not a very impressive set of pedals, I realize, but I don't have the budget... kids have got to eat...
dorfmeister
Known user

Post by dorfmeister »

Fromel Shape EQ
Malekko B:Assmaster
Death by Audio Interstellar Overdriver Supreme
Devi Ever White Spider
Fulton Webb Textosterone
Coopersonic Twin Tube Overdrive
Earthquaker Disaster Transport
Boss RE-20
Moog Ring Mod
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Has anyone tried the new Electro Harmonix Memory Man with the reverse delay and 30 second loops? I'm tempted to buy one right now.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

one of the guitarists in the warlocks uses a memory man- the deluxe from the look of it. i wanted to get one for a long time but i've been through so many big muffs because after a while they just peter out and become completely tempermental and a bit unreliable and i've heard that that's true of all of the other electro harmonix pedals. there's some good live footage of the warlocks that gives a fairly good indication of what a memory man can do- http://vimeo.com/2346681
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

I had a memory man deluxe. I lent it to this dude Rob Janssen in San Diego who was playing bass for a band I was in. He was also borrowing my muff. Anyway, he's decided not to return it to me because I ruined his pitiful life or something by making him play music. Anyway, I am working on getting that pedal back. As I was researching the value of the Deluxe, I saw the new memory man. I was quite interested in the reverse delay and 32 second looping.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

shalloboi wrote:one of the guitarists in the warlocks uses a memory man- the deluxe from the look of it. i wanted to get one for a long time but i've been through so many big muffs because after a while they just peter out and become completely tempermental and a bit unreliable and i've heard that that's true of all of the other electro harmonix pedals. there's some good live footage of the warlocks that gives a fairly good indication of what a memory man can do- http://vimeo.com/2346681
Thanks for the nice video, by the way. I did have one of those before, scoping out the new digital one. Guess I'll have to try it. Thanks again.