Loop reissued!

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

throb
Known user

Loop reissued!

Post by throb »

SPZ outpatients - forum radio on LAST.FM
marcvolta
Known user

Re: Loop reissued!

Post by marcvolta »

i dont know about you lot, but i am excited for the re-issues, i was like 4 years old when the whole Loop vs Spacemen 3 deal went down, but i like both of the bands very much. and its cool that Robert(Josh) i doing this, im tired of paying boat loads on ebay for the Lps and such.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

Ha! They are still ripping off Spacemen, look at the name of the last tracks on the second Fade Out disc.

:lol:

Only joking.

Some of the Peel Sessions releases were essential and imo better than the album versions. No Burning World listed here though.

:x

I don’t think there was a Spacemen v Loop thing going on really. Pete Kember was always pretty pissed off about Loop in the press but I don’t think many people were that bothered. In London at least, Spacemen 3 and Loop pretty much shared the same audience (the same people showed up to MBV, Sonic Youth, Swans, Dinosaur Jr etc gigs too) I have mentioned on this board before that I am not as keen on Loop as I was at the time but they could be fucking amazing live and I guess that goes some way to prove they were a great band in their own right (sometimes).

Feel free to disagree!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

nickh wrote: I don’t think there was a Spacemen v Loop thing going on really. Pete Kember was always pretty pissed off about Loop in the press but I don’t think many people were that bothered. In London at least, Spacemen 3 and Loop pretty much shared the same audience

Feel free to disagree!
Hmmm. I think there was but in a different way than is generally thought. Josh (i.e. Loop) never acknowledged any influence by Spacemen 3 whatsoever, yet I know for a fact that he was completely into them. A mutual friend recorded repeatedly that Josh went on endlessly about the Spacemen yet in the early 90's I asked Josh openly about what he thought of them and he said 'I always hated them - always'. A few years prior to this I did a small interview with him and asked him if he liked them and then if they got on. Answer both times was 'sort of' - that interview is nicely documented in Erik's book. I like the quote someone (Pat Fish possibly) said: 'Loop loved the first Spacemen 3 album so much they couldn't wait for the second so they made it themselves'.

The last straw for me on this was when Josh said that Loop had 'single-handedly started the wah-wah revival'. I love lots of Loop's music but that was an extraordinary thing to say!

You're right about the audience though Nick - I used to bump into so many familar people at Loop shows then Spacemen shows, then Sonic Youth shows and so on ...and on. And I'll admit I was totally into Loop before I got into Spacemen 3 - that obsession has altered somewhat these days.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

What I meant was that I don’t really think people’s opinions of Spacemen 3 and Loop were changed all that much by petty squabbling in the music papers (and lets face it, it was hardly Blur v Oasis) and probably didn’t really care about Pete Kember and Josh bitching about each other in the press. I think people were smart enough to make their own minds up and see beyond all the bullshit written in the Melody Maker or whatever. I guess it made good copy and sold a few papers but it hardly mattered to anyone much except Sonic and Josh.

Loop vindicated themselves live and at times on record and I guess that is the most important factor. The true legacy though of all this is Loop are by and large forgotten and Spacemen 3 will be remembered for a long time, that speaks volumes really.

Still think the Burning World is a fucking ace song though!

Feel free to argue :D
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Not much to argue about there - all points tally.

I don't ever recall any quotes from Josh about Spacemen 3 as he tended to avoid the issue. He knew what had happened alright and it was that which pissed off Pete K, hence the furious slagging off! Loop got bigger press initially and made the front cover of Melody Maker so it all added to Pete's fury.

Burning World is still the great Loop moment. I played a live recording of it from a pub in Camden the other day - very nice!
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

nickh wrote:What I meant was that I don’t really think people’s opinions of Spacemen 3 and Loop were changed all that much by petty squabbling in the music papers (and lets face it, it was hardly Blur v Oasis) and probably didn’t really care about Pete Kember and Josh bitching about each other in the press. I think people were smart enough to make their own minds up and see beyond all the bullshit written in the Melody Maker or whatever. I guess it made good copy and sold a few papers but it hardly mattered to anyone much except Sonic and Josh.

Loop vindicated themselves live and at times on record and I guess that is the most important factor. The true legacy though of all this is Loop are by and large forgotten and Spacemen 3 will be remembered for a long time, that speaks volumes really.

Still think the Burning World is a fucking ace song though!

Feel free to argue :D
I pretty much agree with you---a friend tried to turn me on to Loop. They're okay, but nothing groundbreaking after one hears SP3, who were much more "out there" and less accessible. I think that Loop were more accessible, but they lost that mystique that SP3 had--even when SP3 were being direct, there's that indirect, veiled, truly sinister vibe that made even their mellow songs sort of a "calm before the storm" sort of thing. Loop, I get the impression that they consciously did that sort of thing....perhaps i'm wrong, but I could never really justify the collector's prices that some of the releases were going for.

In the end, I think that Loop were down the right road and it's certainly hard to truly knock them, since any band that sounds like SP3--whether intentional or not (ie: alleged Spacemen 3 worship versus alleged Spacemen 3 hatred) is destined for "cult status", at best. But it's hard to really get into them after hearing Spacemen 3 first, who, IMHO, really nailed that vibe of frustration, and confused terror that SP3 did in their darkest songs, which sometimes permeated their mellow songs.
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

I always hear more Krautrock in Loop, they, to me are like a Kraut version of the Spacemen, a heavy Neu if you will.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-lights-Become-lights/225847625393
sonic124
Known user

Post by sonic124 »

I always hear more Krautrock in Loop, they, to me are like a Kraut version of the Spacemen, a heavy Neu if you will.
totally agree with the above. Took me a long time to get into Loop mainly because of the rift between the Spacemen and Loop but when i got it wow what a band for me i prefer the live stuff thats floating about hopefully the cds will be mastered better than the orig which i think sound really tinny Burning World what a song love the Live 90 version.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

alan_cohaul wrote:But it's hard to really get into them after hearing Spacemen 3 first, who, IMHO, really nailed that vibe of frustration, and confused terror that SP3 did in their darkest songs, which sometimes permeated their mellow songs.
Well like I said I was into Loop first, and although Spacemen 3 quickly overtook them in every possible way I still play some of the earlier Loop stuff. The last 2 albums don't do it for me that much.

That description you've made Alan really struck a chord with me - what a brilliant way to sum up so much of their music! The words of Feel So Good come right out of that - how great it all feels, yet 'I ain't gonna die' is mixed into the lyrics. It was that song that got me into them in the first place. It's also worth noting that the Spacemen (Pete particularly) were living the whole thing they were singing about, and that is partly what connected them to their audience. In terms of social comment on the scene they were part of they absolutely had their fingers on the pulse. I remember how weird it felt back then that so much of my own life was reflected in Spacemen 3's music in terms of my attitude (I'll state now that smack was never even vaguely tempting though) although I never spoke to any of the band until many years later.

Loop have certainly dated more but I find much of Spacemen 3 (PP onwards) somewhat timeless.
Airwaves
New user

Post by Airwaves »

I like Loop a lot and I'm happy about the reissue, my Fade out cd is deteriorating :(
Jockies Scar
New user

Post by Jockies Scar »

I have fade out on vinyl. Currently in the process of converting my records to MP3 (its taken a year so far and I'm half way through my collection) made up this is being re-issued. Never saw them live but saw Hair and Skin Trading company at reading a few times.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

well having always known about but never heard...i bought the first 2 albums and i can see why pete had a problem....theyre fucking awesome! really enjoying this cyclical stoogian noise.
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

Never really had any problems with Loop - quite loved their stuff, in fact. :D Listening back to them, the only real overt Spacemen rip-off seems to be the Spinning single, with I'll Take You There and Brittle Head Girl being the two standouts. Maybe one or two other tracks, but it's certainly nowhere near as bad as it seems to be painted by certain parties. By 88 they were certainly in their own groove, with more of a Can influence coming through (an area the Spacemen never really went near). Anyway, I've Heaven's End and Fade Out hopefully coming to me later this week, and looking forward to them already!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

mh wrote: but it's certainly nowhere near as bad as it seems to be painted by certain parties.
I've not heard anyone here say Loop are 'bad', it was just the obvious similarity of some of their stuff to Spacemen 3 (you might want to look at the covers of the first 2 singles for another slight take on the Spacemen) and Josh's endless protestations that he was in no way influenced by them which is absolutely untrue. I've not even heard Pete Kember say Loop are bad - they gigged together after all - he just didn't like the lack of any acknowledgement which is fair enough. Josh once claimed, as I've mentioned before, that Loop single-handedly started the wah-wah revival - a slightly silly thing to say.
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

Seems to be some wires crossed here, I wasn't referring to "bad" as a description of Loop's music, but rather "bad" in relation to the extent to which they ripped off the Spacemen (which I wouldn't deny they did). Maybe "but the extent of the rip-off was certainly nowhere near as extreme as it seems to be painted by certain parties" would have been a better way to put it. :D
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

I saw Loop at Maxwell's in Hoboken NJ... tiny room, big sound. they kept blowing the power with their setup.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

2 different bands, 2 different sounds imo
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

The World In Your Eyes to hit the shops in May. Triple CD!!! :D :D :D Looking forward to Collision and Mother Sky getting the remastered treatment.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/world-Your-Eyes ... 150&sr=1-2
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I was rather under-wowed by the reissue of Fade Out which I thought was a bit padded. This looks a lot more interesting although I think 'Like Rats' will stick out like a sore thumb.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

This is the one I have been waiting for, some absolute killers on here.

Isn’t the Prisma Uber Europa Promo Live 12inch the 2 disc vinyl set with the red cover that was doing the rounds quite a few years ago? If it is, the version of The Burning World on that was about the best I ever heard.

Also interesting to see the Loveless re-master on the same page although I won’t be holding my breath for that one!
:)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

nickh wrote: Isn’t the Prisma Uber Europa Promo Live 12inch the 2 disc vinyl set with the red cover that was doing the rounds quite a few years ago? If it is, the version of The Burning World on that was about the best I ever heard.
No, it's different. The red sleeve is as you describe but Prisma Uber Europa is a plain sleeved 12" with a stamped Loop sticker. It is incredibly rare - I paid about £30 for mine and that was years ago. I haven't seen one for sale for a hell of a long time - possibly the rarest Loop collector's item. Burning World is different to either the original 12" or the live red album but the other tracls are the same as the red album. It's all good but I find Josh's singing very limited live as he can't do those relaxed vocals as he does on the studio version of Burning World and instead goes for a harder sound with occasional growls which doesn't work as well.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

runcible wrote:
nickh wrote: Isn’t the Prisma Uber Europa Promo Live 12inch the 2 disc vinyl set with the red cover that was doing the rounds quite a few years ago? If it is, the version of The Burning World on that was about the best I ever heard.
No, it's different. The red sleeve is as you describe but Prisma Uber Europa is a plain sleeved 12" with a stamped Loop sticker. It is incredibly rare - I paid about £30 for mine and that was years ago. I haven't seen one for sale for a hell of a long time - possibly the rarest Loop collector's item. Burning World is different to either the original 12" or the live red album but the other tracls are the same as the red album. It's all good but I find Josh's singing very limited live as he can't do those relaxed vocals as he does on the studio version of Burning World and instead goes for a harder sound with occasional growls which doesn't work as well.
That’s why I always preferred them live, they always beefed everything up as I think they were incapable of doing subtle. That version of The Burning World on the red album was glorious, the way all the fuzz, tremolo and phasing seemed to be completely maxed and then a big fat wawawawawah. Bliss. I am chuffed to know that the subtler studio version is on here too, always my favourite Loop song by a mile.

:D
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Looking forward to this release as much as the last 2,but the original World In Your Eyes was always way inferior to the first 2 albums IMO,but the extras make it a way desireable package,thought the remastering on Fade Out was excellent,

Don`t think Mrs M. is looking forward to it so much though.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

unlike S3, I got to see Loop live in concert, at Maxwell's in Hoboken - a great small room.

they were LOUD.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote:I was rather under-wowed by the reissue of Fade Out which I thought was a bit padded. This looks a lot more interesting although I think 'Like Rats' will stick out like a sore thumb.
I was left disappointed with the packaging of both re-issues, had expected a booklet with history of the band, sleeve pics etc. Music still sounded great though. Cant wait for this latest one, World in your Eyes is a fantastic album, almost as good as Heavens End.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

There's no question in my mind that the 1st two Loop 12"s contain their greatest material by some distance, and that makes The World In Your Eyes their finest work. I still can't get my head round Fade Out and couldn't at the time - barring Collision and Pulse the rest is slow and dull - although they were quite incredible live in that period. Heaven's End has some great stuff but is let down by a couple of inferior tracks (Forever and the title track). The 1st 2 EPs are consistently brilliant - not a dull moment - and Burning World by far the best Loop track. It STILL sounds incredible.
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

I'll be contrary one here as I always thought that Loop got better with time. Can't wait for the A Gilded Eternity reissue.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

runcible wrote:There's no question in my mind that the 1st two Loop 12"s contain their greatest material by some distance, and that makes The World In Your Eyes their finest work. I still can't get my head round Fade Out and couldn't at the time - barring Collision and Pulse the rest is slow and dull - although they were quite incredible live in that period. Heaven's End has some great stuff but is let down by a couple of inferior tracks (Forever and the title track). The 1st 2 EPs are consistently brilliant - not a dull moment - and Burning World by far the best Loop track. It STILL sounds incredible.
Hey man you getting mixed up about Fade Out?..This Is Where You End is neither slow nor dull ,it rocks and rolls,
Collision aint on it but is on its own ep along with Thief Of Fire and Crawling Heart which are all superior to anything on the 1st 2 12"s thus making it a better ep than either, IMO of course,.. although having said that an old friend remarked to me when watching Loop once ,observing the rythym guitarist that for all the effort he was putting in he`d have been as well tying his plectrum to the cats tail,that could conceivably be one of the aforementioned slow dull numbers he was listening to.
sonic124
Known user

Post by sonic124 »

Fade Out live (from the live 90 boot) is amazing i do prefer the stuff that throbs meself just a fantastic Fuzz/tremolo/Wah attack
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

niamhm wrote: Hey man you getting mixed up about Fade Out?..This Is Where You End is neither slow nor dull ,it rocks and rolls,
Collision aint on it but is on its own ep along with Thief Of Fire and Crawling Heart which are all superior to anything on the 1st 2 12"s thus making it a better ep than either, IMO of course
Yeah that track is OK but a little too formulaic for my liking. There isn't a single song on that album that compares to any track on the 1st 2 EPs for me and I'd include the Collision b-sides in that (good though they are). I mentioned Collision as it's from the same period and it's on the original Fade Out CD. Also Black Sun is a great song even if they nicked the riff from a mate of mine who Josh was in a band with! I still rate Fade Out as Loop's weakest album though.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

I have that very ltd. Italian live boot CD, plus a promotional 3-track EP with live songs

http://www.discogs.com/Loop-Untitled/release/465939

i don't see it listed at that site - may have to submit it!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

davedecay wrote:I have that very ltd. Italian live boot CD, plus a promotional 3-track EP with live songs

I'm guessing you have the Prisma Uber Europa 12" then - you are lucky! It should have a sticker in the top right with a Loop stamp on it.

It's on Josh's website here:
Prisma Uber Europa
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote:
niamhm wrote: Hey man you getting mixed up about Fade Out?..This Is Where You End is neither slow nor dull ,it rocks and rolls,
Collision aint on it but is on its own ep along with Thief Of Fire and Crawling Heart which are all superior to anything on the 1st 2 12"s thus making it a better ep than either, IMO of course
Yeah that track is OK but a little too formulaic for my liking. There isn't a single song on that album that compares to any track on the 1st 2 EPs for me and I'd include the Collision b-sides in that (good though they are). I mentioned Collision as it's from the same period and it's on the original Fade Out CD. Also Black Sun is a great song even if they nicked the riff from a mate of mine who Josh was in a band with! I still rate Fade Out as Loop's weakest album though.
I wouldn't rate 16 Dreams at all so that detracts from World... for me, plus the version of Head On is inferior to that on Heavens End. Can't believe you don't like Forever or Heavens End (the song) Runci. For me A Gilded Eternity is by far the worst Loop album.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I rather like 16 Dreams although it's certainly basic. It has a riff I go for. The wah-wah bit on Head On from the EP is superior to the album version too for me - it growls better. The other tracks just aren't that great - they're OK.

At the time Heaven's End had a huge effect on me but I find the feedback bit in the middle of Straight To Your Heart sounds really clichéd now, and Too Real To Feel is effectively the same track redone. Interestingly they played it at the last ever Loop gig at Kilburn National and it sounded rather dull which completely amazed me as I'd always loved it so much. I now find that the song I rate more than the others is Carry Me, the last (and least noisy) track. It's wasted/fucked up feel is really awesome and the combination of wah-wah and acoustic guitar is fantastic.

A Gilded Eternity has some solid moments but it's patchy. That really long track that takes ages to get going - Be Here Now - is good. I find the rest seems to try too hard and although the sound is good they aren't particularly great tracks.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

runcible wrote:
davedecay wrote:I have that very ltd. Italian live boot CD, plus a promotional 3-track EP with live songs

I'm guessing you have the Prisma Uber Europa 12" then - you are lucky! It should have a sticker in the top right with a Loop stamp on it.

It's on Josh's website here:
Prisma Uber Europa
Yep, that's it.
Loop
Prisma Uber Europa 12" EP

Source: SBD
Lineage: Vinyl -> Technics SL-DD22 Turntable (Shure M111E Cartridge) -> RCA SA-155 Preamp -> Aardvark Direct Pro LX-6 -> Wavelab 5 (De-Click/De-Crackle + Normalize) -> FLAC Frontend 1.7.1 -> FLAC (Level 8)

File size: 139MB
Total running time: 22:51

Track list:
1. Afterglow
2. Got To Get It Over
3. Burning World

FLAC Fingerprints
01 - Afterglow.flac:9335580145ce040ac346193c5391bb0f
02 - Got To Get It Over.flac:f737cbd313f117e62b5233d41cb6f5ce
03 - Burning World.flac:71a931145a7d8dde7426c89699ff2b3e

Here's what the owner of the Loop discography site (http://www.glassdarkly.com/LOOP-PAGE.html) has to say about this record (which comes with no information other than song titles):

"Title information is given in blue ink on a sticker pasted to the upper right hand corner of the sleeve. The tracks "Afterglow" and "Got To Get It Over" are the same live versions that appear on the "EDIZIONE LIMITATA DI 1000 COPIE" double lp / cd. The version of "Burning World" seems to be an alternate studio version that runs approx. 4 minutes longer than the version that appears on the 16 Dreams 12" and THE WORLD IN YOUR EYES lp, and may be an early mix of "Burning Prisma.""

'Artwork' included.
forgot about the linked site; it's still live. i have the Spinning 7" also.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote: I now find that the song I rate more than the others is Carry Me, the last (and least noisy) track. It's wasted/fucked up feel is really awesome and the combination of wah-wah and acoustic guitar is fantastic.

A Gilded Eternity has some solid moments but it's patchy. That really long track that takes ages to get going - Be Here Now - is good. I find the rest seems to try too hard and although the sound is good they aren't particularly great tracks.
Yeah, Carry Me is excellent even though it's basically Soundhead slowed right down. On A Gilded Eternity i'd have to plump for Vapour and Be Here Now as the highlights the rest being nothing special. Never liked the production on that album either.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Soundhead is a great song. Have you that flexi with the live 'people at the bar - come in or fuck off' version? I was at that and rate it as one of the best gigs I've been to. It helped that about 12 friends from when I worked at Virgin in Oxford Street were there, with everyone pumped up on speed. A brilliant night with hilarious support from The Membranes. Curiously someone sold me that flexi at a Spacemen gig a few months later!
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

dug out my Prisma Uber Europa EP.

it's got a letter inside from Beggars Banquet - which legitimizes it as a promo item (not a bootleg).

it says 1000 copies were pressed, and will be serviced to college radio on or around August 17.

here's a link to the scan

http://xs538.xs.to/xs538/09166/loop_prisma288.jpg

what's with that weird email address at the bottom? there's no @ symbol.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Fade Out is the best IMO
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Fade Out for me too (and for the Wooden Shjips as well judging by their new silver album cover).

It used to Gilded Eternity because I love Arc Lite and Be Here Now and Nail Will Burn. Heavens End has always sounded a bit tinny to me compared to the others but I'm getting into a lot more now since the re-issues.

Only saw them the once at the Kilburn National show (oh, and at Reading Festival, and the local Our Price record shop the same weekend). I wish I could remember more about gigs from back then. I only seem to remember a rotating light on stage at Kilburn, and shadows........but then I had taken a mild mind expander.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

johnnyboy wrote: I wish I could remember more about gigs from back then. I only seem to remember a rotating light on stage at Kilburn, and shadows........but then I had taken a mild mind expander.
Saw them in Dublin in 1990 and they had a single red rotating light behind them. Cheap as fuck but very effective. :D
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

at the show i saw at Maxwells, they had some spinning lights - combined with their amps, they tripped the breakers several times during the set. bummer.
Junkrabbit
Known user

Post by Junkrabbit »

sunray wrote: For me A Gilded Eternity is by far the worst Loop album.

Different strokes - a lot of fans seem to rate "AGE" as nothing more than a swansong, but for me it's the highlihgt of their discography. Although if my memory serves me coprrectly, Loop were a more visceral and hard-hitting live band than the Spacemen, I tend to find their early albums quite samey and formulaic in a way that the Spacemen's never were. "A Gilded Eternity" shows them attempting to break out of the mould and experiment with new sounds (particularly on "Blood") that may have alienated some of the Stooges / Hawkwind purists amongst their fanbase, but also - for me at least - marks the first time they sustained interest over the course of a whole LP.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

davedecay wrote:at the show i saw at Maxwells, they had some spinning lights - combined with their amps, they tripped the breakers several times during the set. bummer.
If its the same tour I saw they were missing a guitarist too.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

My copy of The World in your Eyes has finally turned up this morning and I am treating the neighbours to The Burning World right now. So good to hear that song again, some mixed feelings about the rest of the songs to be honest but that was pretty much how I felt about Loop at the time really.

I have said before that I much preferred Loop live, even the Sunday morning set at Reading in 1990 was great, I think the rain had finally stopped and watching Loop in the sun was probably one of the highlights of the weekend. The girl in front of me who had been drinking a bottle of sherry did the decent thing at the end of their set and fell over.

Hearing the Loopflesh song again reminded me of how disappointed I was when I bought the single, I guess Godflesh were another band who worked best live, on record they were pretty much unlistenable IMO. Saw Godflesh supporting Loop at the Town & Country club, and I think another Justin Broadrick band supported Loop at the National too (Sweet Tooth?)

The Fade Out era songs on disc 2 are sounding really good, the covers of Thief of Fire and Mother Sky turned me on to the Pop Group and Can respectively, this may sound like sacrilege to some but to me, Mother Sky equals the original. I never heard the covers of Pink Moon and Cinnamon Girl and kind of show Loop weren’t the one trick pony I have been guilty of accusing them of before.

One minor gripe, a live version of Mother Sky would have been really appreciated but you can’t have everything.

Recommended!!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Great collection, really nice package too!
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

the live cd on ebay (not my auction)

http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ220427072907

$63 US with a day to go...
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I haven't got this set yet (need to save some more ££'s before it can be justified). I did pick up A Gilded Eternity a couple of weeks back and that is sounding very good. The riffs are more clear and the background noises have come out of the mist. It certainly gives the head a good pounding. Shame the Arc Lite single isn't featured on it though as that's been put on the World In Your Eyes instead.

I was at the Reading 1990 show as well. Did anyone venture into town for their secret show in the local Our Price store that weekend? I've got a signed copy of Arc Lite from that one (Robert with a kiss). The police came in and shut it down after a couple of songs which caused a few album covers to be taken from the racks and thrown in their direction. I've got some sweaty looking pictures of them all behind the counter.

Neil (I think that's his name) from the band was working in Rough Trade East in London for sometime. Whenever I went in there I thought 'he looks familiar'......but without the long hair and beard.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

johnnyboy wrote:
Neil (I think that's his name) from the band was working in Rough Trade East in London for sometime. Whenever I went in there I thought 'he looks familiar'......but without the long hair and beard.
He used to work in the Notting Hill Branch of Rough Trade many years ago, as did Stuart “Tindersticks” Staples who used to work at the Covent Garden branch. I remember him getting his Spacemen 3 records signed when Sonic was signing copies of Recurring, (Stuart Staples obviously, not Neil Loop)
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

since it's a boot, here's a free download:

LOOP "Edizione Limitata Di 1000 Copie" (1992)

CD ITA ???; IF 001 CD

Breathe
Pulse
From Centre
Feverknife
Afterglow
Black Sun
The Nail Will Burn
Fade Out
Arclight
Got to Get It Over
Burning World

Mother Sky production; no information given

Notes. "Edizone Limitata di 1000 Copie". Appears to be the complete concert from which "Got To Get It Over (Live)" from Dual was extracted. Oddly enough, the sound on this is vastly superior to the version from DUAL (provided that they are, in fact, from the same show). As a matter of opinion, these live versions are given a much more muscular workout than the studio versions, at least as far as the tracks from A GILDED ETERNITY are concerned. "Mother Sky" is a cover of a song by Can.

320 kbps LAME MP3s, cover art, text info file, extracted from silver CD.

http://www.filesavr.com/edizionelimitatadi1000copie
174 MB zip
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

Fantastic.

Thanks Dave.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

johnnyboy wrote:I haven't got this set yet (need to save some more ££'s before it can be justified). I did pick up A Gilded Eternity a couple of weeks back and that is sounding very good. The riffs are more clear and the background noises have come out of the mist. It certainly gives the head a good pounding. Shame the Arc Lite single isn't featured on it though as that's been put on the World In Your Eyes instead.

I was at the Reading 1990 show as well. Did anyone venture into town for their secret show in the local Our Price store that weekend? I've got a signed copy of Arc Lite from that one (Robert with a kiss). The police came in and shut it down after a couple of songs which caused a few album covers to be taken from the racks and thrown in their direction. I've got some sweaty looking pictures of them all behind the counter.

Was at Reading and saw Loop on sunday lunchtime ,but wasn`t it 1989?... had some lovely toadstools for my lunch so I could be wrong, came down from Scotland to for my 1st festival experience ,bought day tickets for friday and sunday but gave the sat. a miss as it looked kinda shit, spent that day in pubs around Henley On Thames and was taken advantage of by a local at night ...fond memories.

thanx for the download by the way wanted to hear that for years ,seem to remember having a live recording of that Loop Reading show but alas its vanished over a few house movings down the years.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

davedecay wrote:since it's a boot, here's a free download:

LOOP "Edizione Limitata Di 1000 Copie" (1992)

CD ITA ???; IF 001 CD

Breathe
Pulse
From Centre
Feverknife
Afterglow
Black Sun
The Nail Will Burn
Fade Out
Arclight
Got to Get It Over
Burning World

Mother Sky production; no information given

Notes. "Edizone Limitata di 1000 Copie". Appears to be the complete concert from which "Got To Get It Over (Live)" from Dual was extracted. Oddly enough, the sound on this is vastly superior to the version from DUAL (provided that they are, in fact, from the same show). As a matter of opinion, these live versions are given a much more muscular workout than the studio versions, at least as far as the tracks from A GILDED ETERNITY are concerned. "Mother Sky" is a cover of a song by Can.

320 kbps LAME MP3s, cover art, text info file, extracted from silver CD.

http://www.filesavr.com/edizionelimitatadi1000copie
174 MB zip
Having just downloaded this and presently giving it a twirl you are now my dude of the month ,sounds f8ckin` awesome and memories are not quite flooding back but certainly getting slight feelings of deja vu .... for a boot. it sounds out of this world.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

You’re right, it was 89.

That Friday was about the best day ever, Spacemen 3, My Bloody Valentine, Swans and New Order were all phenomenally good. I couldn’t be arsed to queue for food so lived on doughnuts and pints of bitter all day, lost my mate at midday and didn’t see him till gone midnight (no mobile phones and he wasn’t best pleased). Amazing the constitution of a 20 year old really, I still go to Glastonbury but get a bit shitty now if I don’t have lunch and a bit of a sit down occasionally. :roll:

Sounds like you had a better Saturday than me, all I remember is watching Billy Bragg and The Wedding Present in the drizzle.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I took a long hard look at the track listing here and eventually decided not to go for this reissue. It's not cheap and I already have the original CD. None of the extra stuff appeals that much as the album on its own is already great and all the bonuses here don't excite me as much. It seems there is far less in the Loop archive that didn't come out than I expected. I agree with Nick - they were truly incredible live when they shone - and some of their material hasn't dated as well as it might.

Also agreed on Godflesh. I saw them supporting someone like Mudhoney or Nirvana donkeys years ago and they were really awesome - scary even. I bought that album with the orange cover and all the crucifixes on it and didn't like it all. The Loopflesh single was a real let down when it came out as far as I was concerned.

Anyone who likes Loop and doesn't have that live album that's been uploaded should do so ASAP as it's terrific...
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

re-upped by request

http://sharebee.com/66a4c2f9
Filename: Edizione1K.zip
Size: 173.6 MB
nukleopatr
New user

Post by nukleopatr »

Thanks for reposting live Loop!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Robert Hampsons just posted a blog about Loop reunion.

"It was on, then it wasn't again"

Damn