spiritualized brilliant eh

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

the shadow
Known user

spiritualized brilliant eh

Post by the shadow »

Nota question but a statement, yes i'm on a high after the Manc gig and I know i'm preaching to the converted. But they;ve released one of the best albums of all time in LAGWAFIS even a non spiritulized fan would have to agree. IMO two other outstanding albums in LGM and pure phase. And one other album which I think is another classic in SOngs in A & E, Too early to tell yet as IMO it takes a couple of years to know if an album is a classic or not, but definatley loving it right now and playing it loads. The other two albums AG and LICD are also good. And add to that the best live album ever released in Live at the Albert Hall not a bad career well done Mr Pearce . And then his previus band SPaceme3 are now legends and released two of my favourite albums of all time in Perfect Prescription and Playing with fire. surley the finest live group around at the moment. I think I'm in Love, probably just drinkingg and smoking. Not sure wht but i needed to get that off my chest
spzretent
Site Admin

Re: spiritualized brilliant eh

Post by spzretent »

Amen Brother!
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Oh yeah!

Been listening to A&E through headphones a lot recently, and some of the tiny details in the mix are just wonderful. My favourite moment of the album might be the very last line in the fade-out of The Waves Crash In, when a barely audible and almost-unaccompanied Jason and duet partner sing that lovely little raised note in the word "home." Gets me every time.
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

LAGWAFIS is still my favorite, but i've really still dug "Songs In A&E" and the emotional directness of it. It's definetely his most stripped down Spiritualized album, and probably his most stripped down since the SP3 days ("Playing With Fire" in particular, i've never been fond of "Recurring"). I guess you could say that "Lazer Guided Melodies" is quite still stripped down, but it's more electric stripped down, whereas "Songs In A&E" is more acoustic stripped down and more bare bones. There's more at stake, I think, more all laid out on the line in "Songs In A&E", and that's why I think that it's a classic in it's own right.
colin macklin
Known user

Post by colin macklin »

It's only recently that I've started getting back into SpirituaIized again. I rate the albums in this order: my favourite is probably Ladies & Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space, followed by Songs In A&E, Lazer Guided Melodies, Let It Come Down, Pure Phase and then Amazing Grace (which I think is their weakest album).
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

For me it goes: (from best to worst)

1. Ladies & Gents
2. Lazer Guided
3. Let It Come Down
4. A&E
5. Pure Phase
6. Amazing Grace

Nos 1&2 is a photo finish, 3&4 are also very close
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Here my .02 cents;
1. Lazer Guided Melodies
2. Pure Phase
3.FUI
4.Ladies And Gents
5.Let It Come Down
6. A&E
7. Royal Albert Hall
8.Amazing Grace
Had to include the Live lps too.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

spzretent wrote:Here my .02 cents;
1. Lazer Guided Melodies
2. Pure Phase
3.FUI
4.Ladies And Gents
5.Let It Come Down
6. Royal Albert Hall
7.Amazing Grace
Had to include the Live lps too.
No A & E at all?

Mine:
1. Lazer Guided Melodies
2. Pure Phase
3. Fucked Up Inside
4. Let It Come Down
5. Royal Albert Hall
6= Ladies And Gents
6= A & E
8. Amazing Grace
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Oops.
Revised.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Im not sure how I feel about Royal Albert Hall- it's certainly an impressive piece of work- literally though. When I realised just how much overdubbing and post production went into that I enjoy it now more as some ideal Spz gig that exists in Jasons head rather than a document of that tour. It just sounds a bit weird? I listen to various boots more often.

FUI is F***ing good though. Again though not sure where I’d rank it.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I played FUI again today and was less impressed than previously. I don't go for the sax all over it and some of Kate's keyboards (yeah, back to that again) are really wooden. The noisy bits in Walkin' With Jesus are particularly poor. But Shine A Light/Clear Rush is good, as is Smiles at the end.

What's the name of the guy playing with them now? His keys on this tour - again WWJ particularly - are excellent. I played the Glasgow download of that about 5 times yesterday. That recording suffers a lot during the noisy bits but on the laid back tracks (such as WWJ) it's pretty good. I still haven't found the definitive recording from this tour - the Denver one is rather muddy too.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

runcible wrote:I still haven't found the definitive recording from this tour - the Denver one is rather muddy too.
I'd say the Norwegian Wood Festival is damn awesome and the best so far (unless we're limiting this to the U.S. leg). Too bad they didn't do the Amazing Grace intro, that would be heaven.
I think I feel it coming on
the shadow
Known user

Post by the shadow »

Lists eh don;t you love them, i know i do, heres mine at this moment in time, loving songs in a&e but tiume will tell if its a classic like LAGWAFIS and LGM not inc live albums

1. LAGWAFIS
2.songs in a&e
3. LGM
4. Pure phase
5. LICD
6. Amazing grace.

Although AG is my least favourite on the current tour there are four trax from this album and there sounding pretty damn good. Apart from A&E most used album on this tour. Track used (at the Manc gig anyway) She Kissed me... Oh Baby, Rated x and Cheapster.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Studio:
1.LGM
2.PP
3.LAGWAFIS
4.SiA&E
5.LICD
6.AG
* Top 3 are flip flopping around just like the McCain campaign :mrgreen:
* Arthur(my son) really loves LICD, like it was made for children

Live:
1.FUI
2.RAH
Take your time on the electricity single is amazing i love that one.

er... i guess thats it. and for singles feel so sad is great.

M
Design.
spacemanT
Known user

Post by spacemanT »

Heres my one cent

1. Lazer Guided Melodies
2. Pure Phase
3.FUI
4.Ladies And Gents
5.A&E
6.Let It Come Down
7. Royal Albert Hall
8.Amazing Grace

Mind you I like lots of the EPS loads, the first 4 are faultless, the first duffer is Let it Flow, but the live tracks on that box set make a brilliant live album.
T
SpacemanT
Music - Keep it Future Proof - Keep it Lossless
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

Whoa, it looks like a resounding panning of "Amazing Grace"! I like that album. For me, I wouldn't want to rank my 2 or 3 least favorite Spiritualized albums, because my favorite is clear, but even the ones that I don't like as much as the others aren't like, "okay, this one sucks". Sort of like children, it would be hard to judge who's the worst kid, 'ya know? I like them all for being slightly different.