Black Sabbath

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

simonkeeping
Known user

Black Sabbath

Post by simonkeeping »

Have heard a few tracks by them. I guess the classics? Iron Man, planet caravan and a tune I love called 'hole in the sky'. Really want to pick up a few albums by them but not sure what the best entry point is for a newcomer. any suggestions welcome.
cheers
flamingrev
Known user

Re: Black Sabbath

Post by flamingrev »

The early stuff is all Classic with a capital "C."

I'd go with the Paranoid album first. Master Of Reality next, and then just start buying up any Ozzy Sabbath that you see. There's a nice box that has all of the Ozzy sabbath collected, you might be able to find it used online for a good price. I've got it and it is a pretty sweet package.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

'Master of Reality' is a classic! :twisted:
O P 8
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Vol. 4 are also pretty essential.

Flamingrev is right - buy the Ozzy stuff. The guy is famous for being a likeable bumbling old rocker but I think he's highly underrated as a vocalist. He can genuinely sing.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Got to try and get your hands on the "Past Lives" live album... first proper release of early live shows featuring Ozzy. The band sound hot on this and Tommy's guitar playing is brilliant!

Lotta Love The Sabbath!!!! :D
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

Laz69 wrote:Got to try and get your hands on the "Past Lives" live album... first proper release of early live shows featuring Ozzy. The band sound hot on this and Tommy's guitar playing is brilliant!
i'm not sure if this is from that 'past lives' album, but here's a sample of the sabbath on full form in 1975. always puts a smile on my face. gotta love the over-the-top guitar work and ozzy's audience participation ("come on everybody, clap your hands!") :shock:

https://www.yousendit.com/download/Y2ov ... N0JjR0E9PQ
enjoy!
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

nice song for a acidtest is "Planet Caravan". that will always leave some mess in the head of a young listener, i mean for a start it's a nice test.

back in days of Soviet Union my father went to work in Finland and returned with a double vinyl of Black Sabbath, some sort of a collection of their best. i literally listened to it until holes come through the vinyl. songs like "Electric Funeral", "The Wizard" and why-not-a-heck even "War Pigs" are monumental!! from top of my head i somehow can't remember too many song titles. maybe i've become a party-animal-ozzy-look-alike.
enigma indeed. it's like those young dudes wanted deliberatly do some symbolistic stuff. far from simplicity.
so, now we talk here about BS, when will we talk about Witchfinder General or even Death SS or even Flames of Hell?
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

moop wrote:
Laz69 wrote:Got to try and get your hands on the "Past Lives" live album... first proper release of early live shows featuring Ozzy. The band sound hot on this and Tommy's guitar playing is brilliant!
i'm not sure if this is from that 'past lives' album, but here's a sample of the sabbath on full form in 1975. always puts a smile on my face. gotta love the over-the-top guitar work and ozzy's audience participation ("come on everybody, clap your hands!") :shock:

enjoy!
I believe Past Lives is the official version of "Live At Last" bootleg that has been doing the rounds for many years. I'm sure that quote is from it... others include, "If you wanna get up, COME ON! Don't just sit there!!" :lol: :lol:
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

Laz69 wrote:
moop wrote:

enjoy!
I believe Past Lives is the official version of "Live At Last" bootleg that has been doing the rounds for many years. I'm sure that quote is from it... others include, "If you wanna get up, COME ON! Don't just sit there!!" :lol: :lol:
that's pretty impressive if you're going by the quote. from the bootlegs i've heard he seems to say pretty much the same thing at every gig.
1) clap your hands. it's so easy just to clap your hands
2) let's go!
3) WE LOVE YOU! (at the end of practically every track)
oh and on track 2 of that bootleg (hole in the sky) he yells:
"are you high?" [cheer] "are you high?" [cheer] "so am I!"
and in a similar pantomime fashion, before the last track he screams "waddaya wanna hear!?" several times, before "did somebody say paranoid?" absolutely hilarious!
anyway that whole bootleg is scorching stuff.

just looking at the tracklisting for 'live at last', I don't think this is the same bootleg, as the tracks read differently. the quality is ace though so i'm sure it'll be easy to find in trading circles or on soulseek etc.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

moop wrote: From the bootlegs i've heard he seems to say pretty much the same thing at every gig.
Thats why i probably recognise it... :lol:
moop wrote: 1) clap your hands. it's so easy just to clap your hands
2) let's go!
3) WE LOVE YOU! (at the end of practically every track)
oh and on track 2 of that bootleg (hole in the sky) he yells:
"are you high?" [cheer] "are you high?" [cheer] "so am I!"
and in a similar pantomime fashion, before the last track he screams "waddaya wanna hear!?" several times, before "did somebody say paranoid?"
yep, yep, yep and , erm... yep! :D All present and correct on Past Lives! :lol:
moop wrote: just looking at the tracklisting for 'live at last', I don't think this is the same bootleg, as the tracks read differently. the quality is ace though so i'm sure it'll be easy to find in trading circles or on soulseek etc.
This probably backs up your theory of the same shout-outs being repeated at most shows... still... would have been really, REALLY cool to see them play live back then! 8)
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

Laz69 wrote:This probably backs up your theory of the same shout-outs being repeated at most shows... still... would have been really, REALLY cool to see them play live back then! 8)
agreed.
ok one thing that im pretty sure is unique to this recording - during the second drum solo someone in the crowd calls out "all drum solos are BOR-ING!" this is perfectly timed, since it's only a few seconds before the solo leads into the start of Iron Man.
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

No love for Vol 4? Awww booo, that one's sheer class too! :D
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

mh wrote:No love for Vol 4? Awww booo, that one's sheer class too! :D
Eh? Read again my friend. I wrote:
runcible wrote: Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Vol. 4 are also pretty essential.
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

Master Of Reality is the best, IMHO. Because they really perfected the heavy songs--the s/t and Paranoid, they did great, but to me, their catalogue hinges around three songs that you don't hear on the radio: "Into The Void", "Orchid", and "Solitude".

"Orchid" and "Solitude" in particular, is the point where they really started getting good at the "songs you'd have no clue that it was Sabbath unless someone told you". They had some of that before....and after, in songs like "Fluff", but I just don't think that you can beat "Master Of Reality". The "Paranoid" album being a close second, and it being a toss up for honours after that between the early Ozzy years albums that aren't "Never Say Die" or "Technical Ecstacy".

Plus, it starts off on "Sweet Leaf" (ode to drugs) and ends on "Into The Void" (ode to time/ continuum/ past/ future/ existentialism)....starting and ending great, and creating their best album in between--questions about religion, God, death, and searching for Utopianism within the mess. Most don't give Ozzy credit for those lyrics...what they're doing is not preaching so much as questioning. Sabbath are highly underrated for that aspect--most think that it's just about death or being anti-Christian, but Sabbath raised alot of issues and took alot of heat for it. They brought up alot of great issues.

Heavy metal was perfected and honed on "Master Of Reality", IMHO. It started to really define and cement their sound not only as the "Sabbath sound", but the relative emotional and dark sameness also formed the template for the sharps/ flats classical aspect of utilizing the "black keys" on the piano, with alot of muted, chugging breakdowns. They had alot of that before, but they really nailed it and perfected it on this one. You had a bit of the heavy metal template in songs like "Born To Be Wild", "Dazed And Confused", "In A Gadda Da Vida", "In The White Room", "Missisippi Queen".....but over the course of an album, only Sabbath really said, "okay, this flavour of that heavy sound you have? Well, that's our entire sound!". "Embryo"'s galloping runs still sound at least 4 or 5 years ahead of the NWOBHM movement.

The only thing that bugs me is the mix---it still sounds much too flat, too dry. From a historical perspective, it saps a bit of the music and album's power after all these years. But that's also indicative of the power that they had--not much studio trickery, just loud and raw. They'd get more into studio treatments on songs later on, but even on "Solitude", there's a stripped down, droney, organic power that definetely reminds me of some of Spacemen 3's mellower stuff like on the "Playing With Fire" album.
Sonny Munns
Known user

Post by Sonny Munns »

Hole in the sky is probably my favorite Sabbath song...
Best if played at home LOUD!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6DFt-s6Ckc
talking about music is like dancing about architecture