Flaming Lips cover Spacemen 3

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

flamingrev
Known user

Flaming Lips cover Spacemen 3

Post by flamingrev »

As some of you may know, the Flaming Lips movie Christmas On Mars is coming out soon on DVD. It's going to be available in a bunch of different packages, and I think that the CD soundtrack is included with the DVD.

BUT, there will be a vinyl soundtrack released that will include a bonus 7".

Christmas on Mars vinyl edition bonus 7":

A1 Silent Night
A2 Lord Can You Hear Me
B1 It's Christmas Time Again

There's a horrible bootleg recording of them doing this song from awhile back. It'll be nice to see what they do with it in the studio.
burningwheel
Known user

Re: Flaming Lips cover Spacemen 3

Post by burningwheel »

have sort of givin' up on the lips but i ordered the mega deluxe version which should come with bonus cd with these tracks on it i think. when did it go on pre-sale, hoping to get a signed version..
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

I think the presale started today or yesterday.

I'm pretty sure the edition you got does not include the tracks from the 7".
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

yeah i was saying that this version should come with the 7" tracks. i know it won't but i guess i'll have to get the vinyl as well
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
helm
Known user

Post by helm »

Has anyone else seen Christmas in Mars yet? I'm a little bit undecided as to if I like it or not. I mean, It's a good 'home movie' as Wayne describes it, but having paid £17 for a copy of it (with the 32 minute long accompanying album) I feel it's a little on the steep side of things and a bit self indulgent. I don't know, is that harsh? Still, fair play to them for doing it, just wished they had stuck it on the interweb for free or something.
ThiefofFire
Known user

Post by ThiefofFire »

I finally got the DVD+CD version the other night and I enjoyed it very much, although I wish I could've seen the movie at one of the festival screenings (as it's probably meant to be seen). It's a bit like "Eraserhead" crossed with "2001" crossed with an old fashioned Christmas special on TV

I didn't shell out for the mega deluxe set so I'm still dying to hear the new 'Lord Can You Hear Me' cover. Has anyone gotten it? And/or does anyone know of a place to hear that track online?
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

"Lord Can You Hear Me" is only available with the vinyl edition, and it has been delayed until probably early January. I canceled my order, because Warner Bros customer service is so bad, but the same edition will be in stores and I'll buy it then.

I thought the movie was okay. "Interesting" is the best word to describe it. If I were a casual fan that hadn't been seriously anticipating it for 7 years, I would probably like it more.
supershonn
Known user

Post by supershonn »

i had a studio version that i got off of Soulseek, honestly it sorta pales in comparison to the original. they don't do much at all with the track.

but yeah it's worth hearing.
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

Finally got this last night, and I think it's pretty great. I don't think it's a full version of the song (I only listened to it once), but it starts as Silent Night and then segues into Lord Can You Hear Me. The production is nice and fairly simple, and the song is done very nicely. It transforms the Spacemen track into a plea from Mary, which is pretty clever.
supershonn
Known user

Post by supershonn »

huh?! that sounds great actually, the version i have is just a straight take on the song, maybe a tad bit slower.

i have another look, thanks.
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

The only other version i've found is from an instore performance, or maybe warming up for a radio session? There's no crowd noise, and I think it's just Wayne and a guitar. It's really shitty, and nothing that the Lips would've wanted released.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Would you bloody believe it???!!! I've just got my copy of this....and the bloody 7" has no centre to it, so until I can source one of those clip in centres (a spider I believe they're called) I STILL can't tell you what it's like.

Grrrrrrrrrr
onechord
Known user

Post by onechord »

you can download that lips show from newbury comics here if you'd like to hear their live cover of lord can you hear me -- http://www.mediafire.com/?9txndfjnzoj