Life Is A Problem / Mississippi Records

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

Life Is A Problem / Mississippi Records

Post by TheWarmth »

I picked up a few compilations today on Mississippi Records. One of them is called "Life Is A Problem" and contains a song by the same title by Sister O.M. Terrell. Interesting that Spaceman lifted the title for his new song. I can definitely recommend these for anyone feeling like doing a little shopping. The other one is called "Fight On, Your Time Ain't Long."
Last edited by TheWarmth on Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dselevan2
Known user

Re: Life Is A Problem

Post by dselevan2 »

He might change the title. Death Take Your Fiddle was originally called The Way I Feel or something.
supershonn
Known user

Post by supershonn »

TheWarmth wrote:I picked up a few compilations today on Mississippi Records. One of them is called "Life Is A Problem" and contains a song by the same title by Sister O.M. Terrell. Interesting that Spaceman lifted the title for his new song. I can definitely recommend these for anyone feeling like doing a little shopping. The other one is called "Fight On, Your Time Ain't Long."

ahhh a dear friend from these boards got me "life is a problem"....it's fantastic. he also sent me "i don't feel at home in this world anymore".

i would also recommend the washington phillips album that mississippi records released.

good finds warmth!
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

The Skip James (1931 sessions) one is awesome too. Mississippi just bought out a funk 7" that sounds really really dirty.

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=136296

and I really like this one too.

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=31868

some lovely textures and sounds on it. If you havent been able to track them down then check out honest Jon's (in London on Portabello Road). They still have them, and they do mailorder US people, but be quick.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Is this really the website for Mississippi Records? http://mississippirecords.net/

There seems to be little to no information about their releases.
marcvolta
Known user

Re: Life Is A Problem / Mississippi Records

Post by marcvolta »

Mississippi records is a store located in Portland, Oregon, i dont think that site that thewarmth linked to has anything to do with the stuff we are talking about, i could be wrong though

that have released some really great stuff!!!!
ill look around and try and find some more info on the label...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippi_Records
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

i'd be amazed if they even had a web site. they don't do mail order. i had a long chat w/the owner of the shop and label Eric. he forwarded to me to a distributor in Portland. He sorted me out w/the 3 above mentioned lps and I sold them off to the other moderators(who didn't already have them. No idea what the minimum order is. But their stuff sells so fast its hard to get a hold of.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

a shop here in Baltimore, MD has a bunch of Mississippi Records releases, they order from a distributer e very 2 weeks, if anyone would like i could call them and see if they have the release and i could get it, you could paypal me the money, and id send it to you
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I found the thread Mississippi had been mentioned on before...

http://ideensynthese.de/spiritualized/v ... &start=405

But yeah, I happened to be in Mono records one afternoon the same day they recieved the stock in. They are awesome!

And yep, Skip James one is really raw but really great! :D Its like a garage album...from 1931 :shock:
O P 8
myegi
Known user

Post by myegi »

marcvolta wrote:a shop here in Baltimore, MD has a bunch of Mississippi Records releases, they order from a distributer e very 2 weeks, if anyone would like i could call them and see if they have the release and i could get it, you could paypal me the money, and id send it to you
which shop in baltimore?
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

True Vine
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

what is a record shop? :(
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

A record shop is this cool place where you go with your computer or ipod and like hang out and download music from like minded people. its pretty sweet!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The store owners keep a record of who downloads what from who. They submit these records to the labels, who then send you an invoice for the music downloaded.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

iTunes. just wish they served coffee :wink:

M
Design.
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

there is a newish lp released on Mississippi records called "Fight On, Your Time Here Aint Long" and here is what people say about it

"Compilation of sanctified blues recorded between 1927-1934. This is our sequel to the popular Life Is A Problem LP. Twelve songs of pure guitar-driven gospel. This slab is as melodic as it is rockin'. Features songs by Bukka White, Willie Mae Morris, Bo Weevil Jackson, Kid Prince Moore and more. This is packaged in the old-fashioned tip-on sleeve."

i personally have it and think its awesome, check it out if you can, and if you cant find it the shop i go to has/had a few copies...

all my best
Marc...
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yeah, that's one of the records I mentioned in my first post. It's really good. It still freaks me out that this label doesn't have a website. Very odd.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Scored this at Reckless over the holiday weekend. Amazing stuff:

MR021/C-01--"Irma Thomas Sings" LP by Irma Thomas
A split issue with Change Records of New Orleans with a joint catalog number.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

They are great releases. Anyone here got the comp called 'Last kind words'? Its pretty special. Incidentally, that one plus Fight one have been posted on some blogs a while back. Not advocating stealing music but if like me you want to put it on your Ipod its quite handy.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I found this review of the Irma Thomas release on the Dusted Magazine website. It sheds some interesting light on the Mississippi label:

Obscured, misunderstood, brazen, and vital, Portland’s Mississippi imprint – vinyl-only, operating in an admittedly gray area, and purposely secretive in their intent and operations – provides reissues of a wide swath of music both popular and regional. They’ve come under fire for some of their works, but those of us who care wait eagerly for each offering, and pick them up as soon as they’re made available. In a year that found the label under fire for “bootlegging” African music, firing off legit reissues by pre-Dead Moon band the Rats and messtheticists Animals & Men, and dropping more incredible compilations of music dedicated to the struggle, this one – covering New Orleans R&B legend Thomas’ singles sides, in blatant violation with EMI copyrights – was the crown jewel; a perfect example, an implicit understanding of the curatorial relationship between a one-of-a-kind label and the lives they enrich through its work.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

I'm loving the Coleman mp3s...very funny! Have to get that. :D Thanks for the link.
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Thanks for the link, I just ordered the LPs Life Is A Problem, I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore, and Fight On, Your Time Ain't Long from Honest Jon's.
I think I feel it coming on
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

the Skip James and Orchestre Regional De Kayes releases are pretty hard to find and they have both of them, they are pretty aweome and i would recommend both of them!!!

Mississippi records rules!
giantquartz
New user

Post by giantquartz »

Life is a Problem is a wonderful compilation. I've been enjoying the Abner Jay reissue as well. For anyone that has also enjoyed the Mississippi Records cassette series, I would recommend a label out of Bloomington, IN called Magnetic South. They are up to 18-20 hand-made cassette releases of blues, soul, gospel compilations and modern bands recorded in their in-house studio. I think they have a website with info on ordering and they have 'em in stores if you're ever near Bloomington.
Mustard
Known user

Post by Mustard »

Since I posted the link I've been picking up some of the LP's and can't recommend them enough. In fact in todays post came Spiritual Singers and Last Kind Words which I've still to listen to. Everytime I listen to an album there seems to be yet another track that just stands out as no less than fantastic. On the 'Fight on' LP the tracks by Kid Prince Moore, Blind Joe Taggert, Blind Mamie Forehand are ace (well most of the LP's is ace) but the stand out track for me is Willie Williams 'Where The Sun Never Goes Down', I mean for those that have heard it, is that great or what? It'll be played at my funeral. The Mosby Family Singers - Eternal Life from 'Oh Graveyard' is another of my favourites, blows me away everytime.
I have a question though. For those that have got the 'I Woke Up One Morning' LP, the track Memphis Minnie & Kansas Joe McCoy 'Can't I Do It For You', what is the last thing he offers that she accepts? I just can't make it out.
Anyway, much respect to the folks at Mississippi, they have made my late night Saturday smoke even more enjoyable.
Mustard
Known user

Post by Mustard »

Giantquartz - do you have a link for that website? I can't find it
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

I'm bumping an old thread here, but I've had Life Is A Problem and Fight On, Your Time Ain't Long on vinyl for ages and I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to get mp3s of them?

I've got no way of transferring the vinyl to mp3s, so I was looking for an online store that might sell them?

Any help would be appreciated.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I can probably help you out with that. I'll be in touch.
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

Anyone heard their tape series? I can personally vouch for a few of the soul/gospel ones, but the site that posts them (they are naughty mp3 rips) doesn't bother to split up the tracks, so it's a bit time consuming to get them all.

God, i forgot how good these were.
Mustard
Known user

Post by Mustard »

I managed to find 'Oh Graveyard' & 'Fight On' on soulseek but struggled with the rest. I did notice on the Honest Jons website that they had released a few more, anyone bought any? Some of them look interesting. Also check out Monk records on Honest Jon's as they have some good looking releases. Need to get some cash together.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

Goodnightgoodnight wrote:Anyone heard their tape series? I can personally vouch for a few of the soul/gospel ones, but the site that posts them (they are naughty mp3 rips) doesn't bother to split up the tracks, so it's a bit time consuming to get them all.

which website is this? i love this label! 'willll you miss me miss me when i'm goneeeee'

i bought this cd the other day

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fire-My-Bones-O ... 869&sr=1-1
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

bunnyben wrote:
Goodnightgoodnight wrote:Anyone heard their tape series? I can personally vouch for a few of the soul/gospel ones, but the site that posts them (they are naughty mp3 rips) doesn't bother to split up the tracks, so it's a bit time consuming to get them all.

which website is this? i love this label! 'willll you miss me miss me when i'm goneeeee'

i bought this cd the other day

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fire-My-Bones-O ... 869&sr=1-1
How is that Fire My Bones comp so far? I've had my eye on it for sometime, keep dropping in a shopping basket then taking it out. It got a great review on the Dusted website when it was first released. http://www.dustedmagazine.com/reviews/5339
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

ive got this box set called Goodbye Babylon. and it 5 discs of old gospel and 1 disc of old sermons and stuff, it is awesome!!! and it comes in this wooden box with raw cotton on the sides, its just really good!
i recommend checking it out!!!!!
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

cantona wrote:Good Mississippi Records blog: http://bigstates.blogspot.com/search/la ... %20records
cheers man! i'll get d/ling when i get the chance!

are these records only on vinyl?
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

That blog that Mr. Cantona posted is the one where i got my tapes from. They come in one mp3 per side though, so it's a bit daunting.
rapideye
Known user

Post by rapideye »

Came across this today. A few years old but interesting

http://thevinylfactory.com/features/the ... i-records/
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

That would have been around the time he visited the UK and Europe showing some of the Alan Lomax archive. I attended in Glasgow, interesting night.