New Order Re-issues

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

toomilk
Known user

New Order Re-issues

Post by toomilk »

Has anyone else purchased these Rhino "Collector's Edition" copies? They came out in the US 2 weeks ago and there are some clear issues regarding the quality of the remastering and the bonus discs in general.

The New Order forums have compiled a list of over 300 errors between the five 2-disc reissues (10 in total).
They are listed here: http://www.neworderonline.com/Forums/Me ... ageIndex=1

I've spent over $100 on these 5 reissues and the state of the bonus discs is completely unacceptable. On a few, the tracks listed aren't even there, and incorrect versions are present (sound familiar?). They even sound like they are mastered from vinyl. It's a shame since the packaging and liner notes are beautiful.

WB/Rhino are currently working on "resolving the situation," which hopefully doesn't translate into sitting on their hands.

...which brings up the question: is Spiritualized going to have their albums re-issued with a bonus disc of studio gems not on the Real Complete Works???? That would be amazing.
cantona
Known user

Re: New Order Re-issues

Post by cantona »

I bought them all on my vacation in London without knowing there were so many mistakes. I doubt they exchange them when they have fixed the flaws
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

You should read some of the reviews on Amazon US. Kind of sad. I bought Movement and Power Corruption & Lies and am happy with them but no way am I as pedantic about them as some of those reviews I read.
They are fine. But clearly these issues should have been cleared up before Rhino released them because the problems were known right after the UK releases came out in late Sept or early October.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

good to know. will hold off n the purchase of these
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

they've been recalled
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

It seems like The Guardian (UK) is the one who is saying this, but there is no official statement proving such a recall. And every other news source is citing The Guardian...thus, they have yet to be recalled. Some staff writer should be fired/punished for not knowing what a product recall is. A label saying they are "working on fixing the problem" is not a recall. (And this is not to rag on you, burningwheel.)

I was listening to some of these today and they aren't really that bad...It's the diehard fans that are being really vocal about it. You know, the ones like us who would notice very minute things like crackles or a song ending a measure too soon. There are a few very noticeable errors (such as the tracklisting being incorrect, and the dropout of the right channel in the middle of a song), but as a casual New Order fan, I really didn't notice any sound quality issues. However, having multiple errors across a five disc "collector's edition" release is unacceptable. These are things that should have been prevented before the manufacturing of the discs.
ekewebb
Known user

Post by ekewebb »

I wasn't that upset by the quality either. But still, I've never bought the albums on CD before and I was hoping for a fairly definitive edition so I wouldn't have to do so again and the fact that the transfers are a bit crap is annoying. I sent an email to Rhino yesterday querying the recall and got this back.
Thank you for contacting Rhino.

Warner Bros. UK, Rhino and New Order regret that the initial pressings of the Collector Editions of "Movement", "Power, Corruption & Lies", "Low-Life", "Brotherhood" and "Technique" contain some minor audio problems on the bonus discs. We are now in the process of correcting the problems, but it should be noted that due to the age and condition of some of the original source tapes, the sound quality may vary. A further statement will be issued once the corrected product is available. At that time, the procedure for exchanging CDs will be announced.
Thank you for your patience while we resolve this situation

Regards

Customer Services
Rhino
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

I've got the reussues and the first disc sounds really good. It's the bonus disc which is shoddy. Tracks sourced from vinyl etc. The booklets have not been proof-read either - full of errors.

If Spiritualized reissued their cd's and the sound was crap this board would, quite rightly, go nuts.
the shadow
Known user

Post by the shadow »

Massive NO fan and these reissues are v.ppor due to quality and bonus tracks. Absolutely no rareities and these type of releases are meant to be for the fan, for fucks sake they are called collector editions. They are definatley being re-done again so save your money and wait until next year. re-masters are a con anyway. So its the bonus dics that make it worthwhile. Jesus and mary chain box set on the otherhand is superb. How it should be done good packaging, unrleased gems, acousitic versions, alternative versions, rare b sides, top package highly recommended. The 1st disc is the best album they never made.
MaDaMe_decAy
New user

Post by MaDaMe_decAy »

Hopefully Rhino will have cleared "it" up for this little release

Factory Records - Communications 1978 - 1992

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Factory-Records ... l_1#disc_1
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

WELL. I have Movement on vinyl (these are really easy records to find) and I love it. Always have. So..I might actually buy this for the enhanced quality and forget about disc 2. More likely I'll look for it on Soulseek when I get home...

Are any of the other CDs worth looking up?
MaDaMe_decAy
New user

Post by MaDaMe_decAy »

dselevan2 wrote:WELL. I have Movement on vinyl (these are really easy records to find) and I love it. Always have. So..I might actually buy this for the enhanced quality and forget about disc 2. More likely I'll look for it on Soulseek when I get home...

Are any of the other CDs worth looking up?
Humour me; it's quite titilating to break this thread down;

Movement on vinyl = 16 bit / 44100Hz (or something)
Enhanced quality cd = 1411kbps (or something when converted to digital format)
Soulseek file version = 16kbps - 320kbps and the various VBR's and other stuff (or something)

I'd say buy it for the enhanced quality or spend more time (than it would take walking too the record shop) by waiting on a flac to d/l.

Hmm yes; a slightly flagrant post.
supershonn
Known user

Post by supershonn »

say wha?
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

Weirdly the best disc is Movement. Whilst I'm not a massive fan of this record the 2nd disc shows how they went from JD to New Order and is, quite simply, stunning.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Movement is by far my favorite New Order. Rumor had it that they wrote most of this material with Ian Curtis and was supposed to be the next Joy Division record.
Movement on vinyl = 16 bit / 44100Hz (or something)
Are their bits on an analog recording?

CDs were created as a scam to get people to purchase music they already owned on vinyl or tape. I'm not going to buy something I already bought twice. Something on CD will very rarely/never sound better than the format it was intended for. When I said enhanced, I was referring to the new mix compared to the digital version I have now, which was ripped from the original CD release. Sorry for the confusion.

Can you really say that a higher bit rate=better sound? Seems like it just made the imperfections more annoying. Many have stated that records sound warmer due to the compression of sound - the actual loss of sound can make something sound warmer. I think this is possible because my hearing is shot and I prefer real records.

The vinyl mix that I have (I think there were at least 2 vinyl releases - a blue one and a gray one) sounds perfect to my ears, but I enjoy the convenience of having the music on my computer/mp3 player.

Have a nice day.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Power, Corruption & Lies is a classic. Pick that one up too.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

spzretent wrote:Power, Corruption & Lies is a classic. Pick that one up too.
yeah! I used to listen to that one all the time. It took awhile for it to grow on me as I always considered Movement a Joy Division record with a different singer, but when I listened to Power Corruption and Lies I really enjoyed it. I'll give it another listen tonight.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Hey, I went to iTunes and listened to the first 30 seconds of this re-issue. It sounds fucking way better on the iTunes preview.

Edit. Just downloaded Truth and Dreams Never End from Soulseek. Higher bit rate than iTunes. Sounds exactly the same as the old version. It's a jip. My playlists are set to normalize sound so I'm assuming they just made the re-issue tracks louder. lame. Another case of the record companies trying to get you to buy the same thing you already own.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Now seriously, did anyone notice these sound EXACTLY the SAME as the old CD? I totally played them back to back, this is a complete rip off.
spooks
Known user

Post by spooks »

hi, i am a long standing fan of both bands, ive seen JD once and New Order on numerous occasions.

For you newbies i would suggest you download Joy Division sets from Eindhoven and Amsterdam, and New Orders In A Lonely Place From Glasto 81, there was a set from around the release of PCAL broadcast on the BBC, this is also a thing of beauty.

Ive lost count of the number of times stuff has been re released.