13th Floor Elevators 10 cd Box Set

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

redcloud
Known user

Re: 13th Floor Elevators 10 cd Box Set

Post by redcloud »

'You're Gonna Miss Me' is a great movie and you have made the perfect analogy with the Crumb film.

'Eye Mind' too is incredible. In my opinion it is the best music bio ever written. Thoroughly researched and well written throughout, which as we all know is a godsend. Far too many music bios are written solely by fans who honestly can't string a proper sentence together let alone write a book.

The book though will leave you with many questions about Tommy Hall's choices and behavior. While Sutherland was the man behind the music and Erickson was the voice and image of the band, Hall was their leader. Acid became their religion and Hall was the one feeding Roky and the boys all the acid. John Ike Walton questioned Hall on what he was doing and didn't buy into it, which helped him keep his sanity but also meant tension between him and Hall from the get go. Ultimately, Roky also had the choice to say no but clearly he is a weak individual and easily led. One can see that with the relationship with his mother and Tommy too took advantage of his weakness and essentially helped break the man. Obviously Hall didn't intend for that to happen nor did he foresee it but he must have seen what it was doing to Roky, yet he chose to keep feeding it to him.

Very, very sad tale that could probably only happen in the 60's.
Alex English
Known user

Post by Alex English »

There is also a great little documentary about Austin in the 60s called Dirt Road To Psychedelia which is well worth seeking out.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Alex English wrote:There is also a great little documentary about Austin in the 60s called Dirt Road To Psychedelia which is well worth seeking out.
Yes, it's not bad. The Black Angels had something to do with this doc. Maybe they were just behind the cover art...nevertheless, the doc itself is decent enough but it suffers from lack of actual footage.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Oooops - too many strong reviews on here...just taken the rather expensive plunge!

Quite appropriate though, as I'm going to see Roky at the Forum on Thursday!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

you will not be disappointed.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Absolutely - one of the best box sets I have ever seen. I played the mono Easter Everywhere on the bus this morning and the sound is fantastic.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

ok. I've been meaning to buy one for ages, and like Greeny I think the time has come. Count me in. £75 though. ouch!
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

You won't regret it. I took a while pondering the cost, caved in and ordered one, then received a wonderful boxset thru the post. Really is a treat! Worth it just for the Live In California cd alone, it sounds amazing and it's a wonder they sounded that great whilst blasted on LSD and other mind tweakers.
catweazel
Known user

Post by catweazel »

redcloud wrote:
Alex English wrote:There is also a great little documentary about Austin in the 60s called Dirt Road To Psychedelia which is well worth seeking out.
Yes, it's not bad. The Black Angels had something to do with this doc. Maybe they were just behind the cover art...nevertheless, the doc itself is decent enough but it suffers from lack of actual footage.
I finally saw this documentary recently and, okay, although there is a distinct lack of authentic footage, it still holds up well as a chronicle of what seemed to be happening in Texas in the 60's; Just like Drummond's incredible book, it was a 'very' pleasant surprise - If you enjoy Eye-Mind then I say it makes a very good companion piece...

Also worth mentioning is the interview with Powell St John - in my mind one of the true unsung heroes from the time... He had a hand in some of the Elevators best tunes.

RE: The boxset... God, I wish I wasn't broke! If anyone here has bought it and found it not to their liking (heathens!) then send me a pm. ;)
darynm
Known user

Post by darynm »

anyone noticed a bit of a drop out in some of the tracks on the contact sessions cd? Is it to do with the condition of the original tapes? Sound is incredible mind you! Just wondering
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

darynm wrote:anyone noticed a bit of a drop out in some of the tracks on the contact sessions cd? Is it to do with the condition of the original tapes? Sound is incredible mind you! Just wondering
Yea, somebody else hears it too!!! I posted this same question two or so months ago and nobody replied. I went into a couple psych sites I know and posted it and still no replies. I started feeling that maybe I had the one faulty disc out of the lot of 4000 sets! Phoned the distributor in England and he asked me to send him an email with specific points where I heard audio drop outs. I had a reply within 24 hours. Here is the answer from the International Artists label:

"Paul Drummond has come back already the query on the sound and reports that the customer (my name) is right that there are imperfections at the two points he mentions but it is not a question of faulty pressings but simply sound drop outs in the masters about which nothing could be done. Paul and the team with Walt Andrus have gone to great lengths to give the band back its original sound after all the many poor quality releases over the years but unfortunately some original masters have just disappeared so they are constrained by the sources available. Also there does seem to be a very minor print fault on the cover of CD6 EE which slipped past us all ."

This response put my mind to rest. The greatest collection and testiment ever assembled for one band? Damn straight! Drummond and co. have done us all (band included) proud.
darynm
Known user

Post by darynm »

i can hear it more than a couple of times on tracks 3 and maybe a few others - need to listen carefully i guess

but i reckoned it was the original tape, sounded like a bit of a drop out on tape

thanks for getting back to me though

do you only hear it twice?
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

This is what I wrote to IA:

Disc one: "You're Gonna Miss Me' sound dips in track one at around 1'36 mark.
"You Can't Hurt Me Anymore" (track 5) sounds as if there was some audio dips/almost like the track had to be corrected? Sticking with disc one the sound on this is also a bit "liquidy" sounding,especially noticable on "Where Am I (Thru the Rhythm)".

I suspect though that the last query about the liquidy sound on "Where Am I" is actually me hearing the music as it was meant to be heard. I know that 'Levitation' on the mono EE disc blew my head off the first time I heard it. All of a sudden there were guitars, drums, cymbals, jug and bass jumping out of the speakers like none other version I had heard before. 8) The one thing this box set has shown me is I feel like I have re-discovered this band all over again.

My query about EE mono cover was a small misprint on the gold ink. They acknowledged that in their response too. It's all cool...I'm just glad it wasn't just my set, which I feared as I received no replies to my initial questions here or elsewhere. I find satisfaction in the fact that other than my reply from IA you are now the first person to confirm my audio queries too!

Case closed....guess I'm not hearing things afterall! :D
LunarTunes
Known user

Post by LunarTunes »

I finally got around to watching "You're Gonna Miss Me" last night and then discovered that Roky was right: I missed him. Or, more specifically, I missed this box set. Having no 13th Floor Elevators in my collection (an oversight, I know), I was actually going to go all out and order this box set. Sadly, but not surprisingly, it sold out. It's too bad that it will not be repressed as I'm sure they could sell another 1000 of them. As it is, it's up on eBay for $550-950US and one sold recently for $338US. The band and label and the folks behind the box set are leaving some money on the table and it's being grabbed by speculators, methinks. I'm hoping against hope that they do a limited second run. Meanwhile, I'm going to settle for I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN HERE BEFORE...

Peace.
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

They are going to start selling all of the individual disks from the set tho...
LunarTunes
Known user

Post by LunarTunes »

^Nice. I've signed up for their e-mail list so hopefully I won't miss out on that, too...

Peace.
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

I wish that i'd bought the set when it was available (kicks self). I'd recently finished the Eye Mind book, and it really goes into detail about how messed up their world was--getting busted and shut down by the cops at every possible point....music and rock n' roll was really still seen as something that was a serious plague on society. They'd went through tons of members--especially in the later stages of the band when Stacy was trying to hold the band together and was replacing everyone else in the band that wasn't in jail/ insane asylums/ financial crisis. Tommy Hall ended up living in San Fran in a squat hotel for grizzled Vietnam vets and hippies; Roky (before Sumner rescued him and got him well again) was living in solitude, rarely going out and had various radios and TV's all blaring in the same room on different stations. Acid and various drugs really did a number on those guys.

More interesting to note is that the band preceded the psychedelic wave, and by the time the drug and hippie culture broke through to mainstream acceptance, the band wanted nothing really to do with it--they felt like outsiders in their own circle even, and were already considered also rans in other circles. The problem was that they'd represented the underground movement, and after "You're Gonna Miss Me" broke and they were on Dick Clark's show and everything, it alienated a bit of the subculture--and to many at that time, they were just perceived as another one of the one hit wonders of the era. The band were left wondering if they should continue chasing the big singles, or whether they should continue trying to develop the album oriented thing that they wanted to do. They definetely had more in common with the punk scene--sniffing glue, doing drugs out of boredom, slacker culture/ outsider culture, etc. Roky was so messed up that he'd forget entire parts of songs' lyrics, and at one point, became too scared to go onstage because he thought that the feds were gonna arrest him onstage. As Eye Mind progressed, it just became more and more difficult to read, because Roky was in and out of the asylums even more, friends/ hangers on would get him high at every point (even though they knew it wasn't good for him), eventually he got out of music altogether, Stacy was killed (Bunny thought it may have even been suicide--he wanted her to kill him), John Ike lost MORE money and tried to chase down more royalties that were owed to the band (in vain), the reunions in the 70's bombed again because Roky wouldn't show up, and Tommy wanted nothing to do with his own vision anymore (he's since dismissed it as somewhat of an embarrassment).
LunarTunes
Known user

Post by LunarTunes »

^Sounds like a great read of a rather sad story. And with a Foreward by Julian Cope to boot! It's on my list...

I highly recommend "You're Gonna Miss Me" if you've not seen it. Although it's more about Roky than the Elevators. You really get a picture of what happened to this guy and, more importantly, how he was brought out of it with a good dose of brotherly love. If you rent the DVD, don't miss the extras! That's where the happy ending is along with a good dose of Roky performance footage and, if you can take it (I couldn't), his mom's home movies...

Want a weekend of great docs about fascinating people with mental health issues? Watch "You're Gonna Miss Me", "The Devil And Daniel Johnston" and "Grey Gardens". I don't know what the effect of those three in a row would be but they're all essential viewing as far as I'm concerned...

Peace.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I've read the book and seen that movie too. The book is fascinating and you really wonder what might have been had the timing been better and the band not hounded by the authorities. The movie is - sad to say - profoundly depressing for the most part even though it has an optimistic ending. My other half and I watched it - she with little knowledge of the band - and at the end I showed her a picture of Roky in his prime in late '66 or so and she couldn't believe it was the same person. He looks like a tramp for most of the film but that's contrasted by a happier and healthier looking Roky at the end when he's living with Sumner. Well worth watching but harrowing at the same time.
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

runcible wrote:I've read the book and seen that movie too. The book is fascinating and you really wonder what might have been had the timing been better and the band not hounded by the authorities. The movie is - sad to say - profoundly depressing for the most part even though it has an optimistic ending. My other half and I watched it - she with little knowledge of the band - and at the end I showed her a picture of Roky in his prime in late '66 or so and she couldn't believe it was the same person. He looks like a tramp for most of the film but that's contrasted by a happier and healthier looking Roky at the end when he's living with Sumner. Well worth watching but harrowing at the same time.
I'll definetely have to check out "You're Gonna Miss Me"!

I totally agree on the "what could have happened" thing--I think that they'd just been too flagrant with the drug use.....there were other bands that got hassled around that era for drugs, but it seemed like the Elevators were really non-compromising in that regard. The other thing about dropping acid that much (as the band found out) and "playing the acid"--rehearsing or gigging while on acid--you can really only do it once every few days without being completely messed up after awhile (as both Roky and Tommy found out......John Ike didn't really like dropping acid, and Stacy had serious issues/ demons that were accelerated by that much substance abuse). John Ike, I think, was the most level headed guy as far as a business standpoint where he realized the importance of making gigs, showing up on time, paying people (his mother basically bankrolled the band), and even in the reunion, John Ike was furious at Roky for not showing up and sabotaging the momentum that they'd managed to regain.

Tommy was at odds with him, because Tommy just wanted to have it be about dropping acid and truthfully, Tommy had zero insight, information or care about the business/ industry side of it, and that really stung them in the end, I think. Tommy was always getting Roky high, he was forcing lyrics on Roky when Roky wanted to do the belting/ screaming thing (definetely an influence on Janis Joplin), and Roky couldn't even remember alot of those lyrics, either.

After the Elevators had their stay in San Fran, the scene got alot more electric, too--the Grateful Dead were originally totally different, and alot of that scene was otherwise acoustic and folk based. The Elevators took the garage rock of the time, but added much more to it......in that sense, that's why I think that even though they embraced alot of the excess that typified the hippie culture, even with longer songs like "Slip Inside This House", it's still really rooted in raw, electric rock n' roll that isn't steeped in huge guitar or drum solos.....there was an economy to their playing that they still managed to convey.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

'Eye Mind' is without a shadow of a doubt THE greatest rock bio I have ever read. It is a must read for anybody remotely interested in psychedelic music. Fans of rock music in general would also get a lot out of reading this excellent, well researched and brilliantly written book.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

alan_cohaul wrote: After the Elevators had their stay in San Fran, the scene got alot more electric, too--the Grateful Dead were originally totally different, and alot of that scene was otherwise acoustic and folk based. The Elevators took the garage rock of the time, but added much more to it......in that sense, that's why I think that even though they embraced alot of the excess that typified the hippie culture, even with longer songs like "Slip Inside This House", it's still really rooted in raw, electric rock n' roll that isn't steeped in huge guitar or drum solos.....there was an economy to their playing that they still managed to convey.
While I agree with much of what you say, the Dead began to explore higher territories than the bluesy jug band of their earlier days (as the Warlocks) when they became Kesey's house band for the Acid Tests. Potent LSD had a lot to do with the Dead's metamorphosis. Galaxies away from their Workingman's Dead/American Beauty era albums some of the real early Dead recordings are actually very punky and garagey. 'Cream Puff War' from their 1st album being the best known example but earlier tracks that never made LP's and early live shows are even better sources to cite. But, I am sure the Elevators stint in SF influenced Captain Trips as well (and vice versa).
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

redcloud wrote:'Eye Mind' is without a shadow of a doubt THE greatest rock bio I have ever read. It is a must read for anybody remotely interested in psychedelic music. Fans of rock music in general would also get a lot out of reading this excellent, well researched and brilliantly written book.
Heartily agree, fantastic book very insightful,recommended and brought to my attention by someone on this site who`s name escapes me but cheers anyway ,just goes to show another example off why this site is the best around for recommendations for the psychedelicly minded.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Bumping an old thread in light of this http://www.texaspsychedelicrock.com/201 ... ssues.html

What's the score there then? I've got the box set and it sounds great to me. The sound isn't that bad is it? I'm no expert when it comes to sound levels and compression and all that jazz. Seems a harsh write up considering everyone else was raving about it at the time. Maybe the writer just hates Drummond or missed out on the boxset and has turned evil because of it.

I've also got an older cd sized boxset called the Psychedelic World Of. Admittedly I prefer a couple of the songs from that to the newer boxset (Levitaion and Reverberation for example) but overall the BIG boxset is wonderful. The live in California set is brilliant and I've really started to play that A Love That's Sound disc a lot recently.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Sounds great to me.
The whole package is like a piece of art to me.
Even better from an investment standpoint.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

spzretent wrote:Sounds great to me.
The whole package is like a piece of art to me.
Even better from an investment standpoint.
Indeed. I saw one listed on ebay for a buy it now price of $999!!!! Seen it cheaper elsewhere though, like $350 on Amazon for example. Would never sell mine though. Like you say, it's a piece of art.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

That site has some great info on it but it's totally furious about the box set. They've been ranting about it ever since rumours of its release first appeared and are beside themselves at the 'outrage'. For myself I'm delighted I bought it.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Sour grapes perhaps?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Well... possibly because they weren't involved. Those guys are serious experts on Texan psych and really know their stuff. They've made available a few really choice Elevators bits. But they weren't asked to help with that box set so maybe that's why they are so mad.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

That guy is really irate isn't he!

However, does anybody think that what he says is true, that the recording have been essentially 'brickwalled' for loudness over subtleties?

I have the 2005 Charly issue of the The Psychedelic Sounds of... and it sounds great. Can't believe they would fuck it up for that recent box.
O P 8
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

are those the guys who put out "attack of the eight-tracks" or whatever it was called?

I do remember that parts of the box made me think it was a bit too hyped and that it really wasn´t an improvement compared to much of the cleaned up 8-track cartridge rips.
.. but I´ve only listened to the 8-track versions once after the box so no detailed analysis from me.
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Do not believe everything you read!

In the eyes of this particular message board the box set was doomed from the start. Ignore it and for those of us who are lucky enough to own....enjoy!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I still haven't even opened mine. :oops:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

They go for crazy money on Ebay now.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

i saw the live LP used in great shape for $8 today - on red vinyl.
https://www.auralexploits.com/product09_227.htm

i don't like what that description says - fake applause added? ugh.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

davedecay wrote:i saw the live LP used in great shape for $8 today - on red vinyl.
https://www.auralexploits.com/product09_227.htm

i don't like what that description says - fake applause added? ugh.
Red vinyl would be a cash-in reissue. Probably worth $8 but not much more. There are far better live Elevators shows out there. The fake applause thing is something that a lot of live 60's albums suffer from. Even true audience noise was often mixed to sound louder. However, the 60's canned a lot of the applause on their albums to make bands sound more popular than they actually were. The fake audience on the Seeds "Raw & Alive" album is as laughable as it is dreadful. It sounds like they used audience recordings taken from the Beatles Shea Stadium gig!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Am i right to assume that all the re-issues of the past couple of years don't contain any material that isn't already on the box set?

On another note, bought an Acid Mothers cd in my local today and he said them and 13th Floor Elevators are flying off the shelves! Bear in mind i'm living in a town an hour away from Dublin and the only person i can imagine buying this stuff is me i think that's a very positive sign. My mate reckoned that some young fella in the town has probably just discovered acid and is snapping this stuff up! :lol:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
nasty
Known user

Post by nasty »

The CD box is luscious enough but I'm also getting pretty excited about the vinyl
http://www.internationalartistsrecords. ... heres.html
.... 3000 is less than I was anticipating too! Wonder if the prices will go as nuts?!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

nasty wrote:The CD box is luscious enough but I'm also getting pretty excited about the vinyl
http://www.internationalartistsrecords. ... heres.html
.... 3000 is less than I was anticipating too! Wonder if the prices will go as nuts?!
Nice....I'm very, very tempted by this. Particularly by the thought of getting mono mixes on vinyl. Must try and resist the temptation..must try and resist the temptation..must try and resist the temptation..of fuck it, I'll jsut order it.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

My Elevators vinyl box just arrived. What a piece of work it is! It's BIG! An amazing lenticular image of the striped head used in Elevators posters on the box's cover, more lenticular images inside, lovely gate-fold double albums and a beautiful large square booklet crammed with pictures, some familiar, some not. Not had a chance to play it yet but in terms of eye candy it's a winner!
sonic124
Known user

Post by sonic124 »

When can I come and look at it!!!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

i've been away for the last two weeks on holiday with the kids and Mrs doing the Great Barrier Reef thing. Got home today to a 13 day old email telling me the vinyl box set is on the way. Hopefully, it will be waiting for me when I get to work in the morning.....
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

It's worth the wait!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Man, you guys are a bad influence. I just ordered a copy of this. I'm glad I didn't spring for the cd set, though!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I'm thinking about selling off my CD set once the vinyl box arrives.

Its here, my postman said I have a box for you. That was 2 hours ago. I WANT IT NOW! :evil:
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I cannot believe Burning Shed sent a nearly $200(w/shipping) bot set in a padded envelope. Granted in came housed in a flimsy cardboard box. But because of the flimsy shitty packaging one of the corners of my box is crunched. Given the care that goes into one of these releases I am stunned how it was shipped. Stunned.
:cry:
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Send them an email, Alan. Let us know what happens.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

done.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I sent them one, too, asking for mine to please be packed better than yours was.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

All they had to do was put it in a box.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Hey Paul & Alan...how much was it (inc. shipping) in US dollars? $160? $180? Also, Alan...was yours in two shipments as it says on the Burning Shed site (box 1. vinyl box 2. literature)?

I am also considering putting my 'Sign of the Three-Eyed Men' box set up for sale to get this vinyl release.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

It was slightly over $200 including shipping. I think shipping was $65 or so.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

TheWarmth wrote:It was slightly over $200 including shipping. I think shipping was $65 or so.
Hmmmm...maybe I will wait until some more definitive comparisons are made with the vinyl edition. Runcible, I know you were listening to 'A Love That's Sound' the other day...have you been able to compare the sound of the LP set with the 'Sign of the 3-Eyed Men' cd set?

I do have several various vinyl copies including an original issue of EE, stereo reissues of PS, EE and BoTW, the Sundazed mono issue of PS and then a few misc things like 'Elevator Tracks' and other live boots. Maybe I should be content with these and keep the original cd box set. :roll:
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I paid $180 total. I haven't opened it because I want to see if Burning Shed will do anything. I dont expect them to have it shipped back because it will cost a fortune. It is a joke how they packaged it. The CD box set wasn't shipped like this. Runcible said his arrived the same way albeit a much shorter distance.
Even the FEDEX guy was shocked. I told him what it was and he just shook his head.
It was all shipped in once parcel. Not two.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

redcloud wrote: Runcible, I know you were listening to 'A Love That's Sound' the other day...have you been able to compare the sound of the LP set with the 'Sign of the 3-Eyed Men' cd set?
Must admit I haven't had a moment to play it. Been bonkers in this house for a week so no spare time...
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

I got mine today! It was shipped in an envelope too, but mine had cardboard surrounding it.... I wonder if they started doing the cardboard thing after the first shipment went cuz they were hearing crap about it not being packaged good enough?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Mine had cardboard(very flimsy cb) too. But it was obvious it had been dropped on one corner, the padded envelope it came in was all ripped. That toxic looking stuff inside was leaking everywhere. Like I mentioned earlier even the Fedex delivery guy was shocked when I told him what it was. That cardboard should have been inside another box. End of story.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

spzretent wrote:Mine had cardboard(very flimsy cb) too. But it was obvious it had been dropped on one corner, the padded envelope it came in was all ripped. That toxic looking stuff inside was leaking everywhere. Like I mentioned earlier even the Fedex delivery guy was shocked when I told him what it was. That cardboard should have been inside another box. End of story.
Mine arrived this morning. I was dreading opening it as the envelope was knackered, ripped to shreds and leaking the filler all over the place. The Australia Post guy was pretty keen to bugger off, but I took the time to photgraph him holding it before I would sign for the package.

Anyway, much to my surprise, the cardboard container (slightly heavier than a breakfast cereal packet) was undamaged and the box set is perfect. This is obviously down to dumb luck. Whoever signed off on the packaging of this was clearly imcompetent.

Alan, have you had any luck with Burning Shed about the tate of your set?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I sent emails to two different Burning Shed addresses asking them to pack my box well and haven't heard anything back yet.
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

I have started listening to the box set, and there is a pressing error...
Side one of the first LP is supposed to be the first half of the Contact sessions, but it is actually Side 1 of the live in California LP and Side 1 of the Live in Cali LP is actually Side 1 of the Contact Sessions...

this is odd! I wonder if they are all like that???
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

olan wrote:
spzretent wrote:
Alan, have you had any luck with Burning Shed about the tate of your set?
Not a word and I was forceful yet not obnoxious. I even mentioned it being in a 13th Floor Elevators box set thread on the Spiritualized web site. I know of at least 5 of these boxes that were ordered within this message board.

Hello:
I ordered one of the new 13th Floor Elevators vinyl box sets. I received it yesterday. To my dismay the packaging you used made my box set show up with a crunched corner. Not an easy thing to do since the box itself its pretty solid. My question is for the amount of effort that goes into these box sets(I have the Sign Of The Three Eyed Men CD box too) why would you send the box out in a soft padded envelope? I realize it was housed in a flimsy cardboard box but the corners get banged around and voila! My box showed up banged up.
Why not put it in another box? I understand to ship this back and forth from the US back to the UK is way too costly and ridiculous. I just wanted you to know about this.
FYI: I am a moderator on the Spritualized web site If you start getting packaging requests that is why.
I am really disappointed.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Totally unacceptable given how much money spent on the box and shipping. Hopefully they'll rectify the situation for you.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

marcvolta wrote:I have started listening to the box set, and there is a pressing error...
Side one of the first LP is supposed to be the first half of the Contact sessions, but it is actually Side 1 of the live in California LP and Side 1 of the Live in Cali LP is actually Side 1 of the Contact Sessions...
This is a big blunder! I know the music is still contained but what an unfortunate error! Surely, SOMEBODY should have caught that before they gave it the green light and pressed them. I am assuming it is on the whole run....if not, then several at least will have that press mistake.

I wrote Burning Shed a couple years ago when I first got the CD box set. I had a few questions regarding a drop out in sound on a couple of the discs that was bothering me and I was wondering if my box was defective. This was the response I received from Burning Shed:

"Paul Drummond has come back already the query on the sound and reports that the customer (my name) is right that there are imperfections at the two points he mentions but it is not a question of faulty pressings but simply sound drop outs in the masters about which nothing could be done. Paul and the team with Walt Andrus have gone to great lengths to give the band back its original sound after all the many poor quality releases over the years but unfortunately some original masters have just disappeared so they are constrained by the sources available. Also there does seem to be a very minor print fault on the cover of CD6 EE which slipped past us all ."

How does the cover art (gold ink) look on the EE issue in this new vinyl box set?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I haven't gotten to EE but it is very clear that the mono mix of of PSO is far superior than the stereo. Its not even close.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Uggg ... I'm going on vacation on Thursday evening. If I haven't received a response to my emails or shipping confirmation by the time I get back (Monday), I'll probably request that my order be cancelled and my credit card refunded.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:I haven't gotten to EE but it is very clear that the mono mix of of PSO is far superior than the stereo. Its not even close.
I agree with you that the mono issue of PS is superior. But, I actually think the opposite with EE. A lot of the second album was double tracked and the channels separated making the stereo fuller in sound and much more psychedelic than the mono release. 'Dust' on the stereo version is heart wrenching and stunningly beautiful while the mono just seems a bit flat.