jeff buckley

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

laid back in the sun
Known user

jeff buckley

Post by laid back in the sun »

i hope all the uk members will do their bit and download jeff buckleys version of hallelujah, i know it probably wont make no.1 now but at least its a two fingers up at simon :evil: cowell and the shite he inflicts on the uk charts every xmas after his thirteen week tv advertising campaign, even if it only makes no.2 it might make some of the deluded idiots who take x factor seriously realise what music with feeling is about and show just how soulless cowells latest puppets version really is!
hey man theres a hole in my nose where all the money goes
The Kwisatz Haderach
Known user

Re: jeff buckley

Post by The Kwisatz Haderach »

hear hear !

ill be purchasing two or three just out of principle alone!
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

fuck that everyone should buy leonard cohen's original- not some cover version
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

simon cowell and sony bmg are just laughing all the way to the bank.
be a good sheep and watch the x-factor and buy the single and it's $$$ for sony bmg..
protest about the x-factor's "sacrilegious" cover of "hallelujah" by buying the jeff buckley version and it's $$$ for sony bmg.

anyway, it could have been much worse. alexandra can sing. i don't even want to try and imagine what eoghan would have done to the song.
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

At this rate, it's gonna be that at some point there will be a cover of a Spiritualized song. I guarantee it-some idiot doing Soul on Fire in around 5 years time. Or maybe a horrible OTT version of Lord Can You Hear Me. And then one of the judges will procliam 'you made that song your own!' or something terrible like that. Mark my words!!! Sony BMG owns some Spiritualized stuff, don't they?
laid back in the sun
Known user

Post by laid back in the sun »

im not knocking cohens version... the man did spend a year writing it and hearing him perform it at glastonbury this year was one of the highlights of the festival for me but i still prefer buckleys version, theres no law thats says covers cant be better than the original but thats not the case with the Xcrement factors latest offering, shes even been quoted as having the cheek to say the song 'has potential' !!! (which is probably more than can be said for her career in music) the whole idea is to give cowells offering a good run for its money and two other versions mid way up the charts isnt going to do that so surely its better to have the focus on buckley who stands the best chance even if it does unfortunately mean more money for sony bmg, how many more years of manufactured toss getting the xmas no.1 are we going to have to put up with???? maybe im being sentimental but there used to be a bit of excitement around who would be xmas no.1 even if it was mostly rubbish, now we could safely go into a bookies in january and bet our lifes savings on the x factor winner being no.1 come december 25th :( christ its got to the point where even cliff richard would make a pleasant change! although i have to agree that it would have been even worse if the irish bratz doll had won :lol:
hey man theres a hole in my nose where all the money goes
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

laid back in the sun wrote:im not knocking cohens version... the man did spend a year writing it
4/5 years :wink: anyway buckly does jogn cale's version- covered on i'm your fan for cale didn;t want to do the religious verses so he was given all 30 verses to choose from
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

radioshack wrote: Or maybe a horrible OTT version of Lord Can You Hear Me.
Didn't Jason do this already on Let It Come Down? :wink:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

sunray wrote:
radioshack wrote: Or maybe a horrible OTT version of Lord Can You Hear Me.
Didn't Jason do this already on Let It Come Down? :wink:
Ha! A touch, a veritable sting! It's better than the Spacemen 3 version, get over it. (It's worth it for the choral work alone...)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Horrorflick wrote: It's better than the Spacemen 3 version, get over it.
Yeah, right.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

Hmmmmmmmmm....

I have a very strange feeling that a certain Sony BMG may just own the rights to the Buckley version. I might be wrong but if so..."twa burds wi wan stane"...

that Alexandra Burke's lips are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo pink!

EDIT: Ahhh this has been noticed previously...there still PINK.
Shoulders back, smash it
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

I was stoked to hear Cohen's version of this song but kinda disappointed. The production is really bad on it.

Cale>Buckley>Cohen