2001: A Spiritualized Odyssey - Free Kubrick SPZ Mashup Film

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

thealmightysound
New user

2001: A Spiritualized Odyssey - Free Kubrick SPZ Mashup Film

Post by thealmightysound »

Hey Folks-

I thought we might make an official post here to let you all know about a film we made called '2001: A Spiritualized Odyssey'. It takes the images and subtitles from Kubricks 1968 masterpiece '2001: A Space Odyssey', and syncs Spiritualized's beautiful catalog to it. We worked extraordinarily hard on it for a really long time and have gotten some excellent feedback from ladies and gentlemen the world over.

Anyhow, we want everyone to be able to see it, so we've released it in a few different formats. You can watch it on YouTube in HD (they've done a really great job with the HD thing, btw), or download a copy to watch on your home DVD player or a smaller file for your PC or iPod/iPhone (It was intended to be watched on a large TV with a big stereo if you have access to such luxuries).

To learn more, stream the film online or download a copy of your own for PC or home DVD player, see these links:

http://www.thealmightysound.com
http://www.2001aspiritualizedodyssey.com

We even made a trailer for the film that you can watch here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaHBWMlOH50

While we are not in the business of mailing copies of the film to all corners of the Earth, we would like to encourage a couple of actions. Spread the word any way you can; blog about it, embed some of the video on your MySpace page, start a Wikipedia article about the film, join the Facebook page, burn copies of the DVD and droplift them into the 'Spiritualized' bin at your local record shop or download the film and help us to seed it through BitTorrent so that more people can see it. Already 14,000+ people have seen or downloaded the film and our goal is 50,000.

On a side note, we did not do this for money. We cannot legally accept payment for this product, nor do we wish to. We only wanted to share this fun project with those that would care to see it, and to spread our love of Kubrick and Spiritualized to other fans (as well as to make new fans), and to encourage them to go out and buy the works of both Spiritualized and Mr. Kubrick.

Thank you for your interest and feel free to contact us anytime at the e-mail address listed below.

Peace, Love and Medication,

PXL
The Almighty Sound
pxl@thealmightysound.com
Last edited by thealmightysound on Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kowalski
Known user

Re: 2001: A Spiritualized Odyssey - Free Kubrick SPZ Mashup Film

Post by Kowalski »

Great work!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I'll ask again: If I send a blank DVD and postage, will someone burn this for me?
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

Awesome, downloading now.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-lights-Become-lights/225847625393
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

In the case that you make a believer out of someone watching this with you......

2001: A Spiritualized Odyssey Tracklist:

Ladies and Gentlemen We are Floating in Space (Elvis Mix)
Electric Phase
All of My Tears
On Fire
If I Were With Her Now
-part of the end of the album cut of "Pure Phase"
Shine a Light
Won't Get to Heaven (The State I'm in)
Lay It Down Slow
No God Only Religion
Electricity (album)
Home of the Brave
The Individual
This Little Life of Mine
Rated X
I Didn't Mean to Hurt You
These Blues (album)
Amazing Grace (Peace on Earth)
Broken Heart (although it seems to be extended in the beginning to make it 8 mins long)
Lay Back in the Sun (uses only breakdown from single version)
Born Never Asked
Electric Mainline (album)
Lord Can You Hear Me
Cool Waves
Cheapster
Out of Sight
Good Times (from electric mainline)
Do It All Over Again (Evening Session)
Come Together (Evening Session)
I Think I'm in Love (album)
Feel Like Goin' Home
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

Would anyone who has downloaded this care to share it on a DVD? I've been trying to get it for months but I think my ISP throttles torrent traffic as it is taking ages and I'm still only about 25% complete.

I will gladly share it with someone else should I get a copy.
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

rameses wrote:Would anyone who has downloaded this care to share it on a DVD? I've been trying to get it for months but I think my ISP throttles torrent traffic as it is taking ages and I'm still only about 25% complete.

I will gladly share it with someone else should I get a copy.
Me too - I'd love to see this but I'm having computer problems. My laptop is on its last legs.

If someone could do a DVD copy of this for me I will send them some goodies in return. If any kind soul fancies it they can PM me.

Thanks. :D
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

I've just started watching it. Not that my opinion should dissuade anyone, but it seems a little clumsy and inappropriate to score this classic film with Spz. I started missing the original score and dialogue (wooden as it may or may not be...)
Something Wicked That Way Goes...
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

According to their facebook page, they have completed "version 1.1 with corrected subtitles, normalized audio levels and 5.1 SURROUND SOUND!"

No word on if it's already available to download, but they had a screening of the new version a couple weeks ago.

The Almighty Sound is also celebrating 30,000 downloads. Congrats guys!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

From their facebook page:

"Prepping the release of the 5.1 Surround Sound version of the film. We're adding menus, the trailer and Stereo and Surround options. Anything we are forgetting? Find out how to get a copy at the link below.

www.2001aspiritualizedodyssey.com"
toomilk
Known user

Re: 2001: A Spiritualized Odyssey - Free Kubrick SPZ Mashup

Post by toomilk »

They also have Almighty Sound shirts with "2001: A Spiritualized Odyssey" on the back.

http://thealmightysound.spreadshirt.com/
olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

...and their (The Almighty Sound) cover of Ladies & Gentlemen is here to download:
http://cid-242459ff5b20845b.skydrive.li ... ublic?uc=1

...or here on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWqWhYvyO2o

Nice cover it is too.
charles w
Known user

Post by charles w »

Apologies for the off topic nature of the request but it is kind of linked.

I'm desperate to get (or d'load) a copy of the 1976 Bruce Conner film 'Crossroads'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossroads_%281976_film%29

It's playing at a local Cinema as part of a festival and the soundtrack is absolutely captivating, kind of Krautrocky.

Anyone help? ...please. Take pity on me, I missed LAGWAFIS at Gateshead Sage because of the snow and I still haven't got over it.
heyman
Known user

Post by heyman »

I was struggling to get hold of this so I contacted The Almighty Sound & they kindly sent me a copy on DVD, all they asked was a donation to the site & to cover postage so it's worth a shot guys, yet to watch it, just waiting for the perfect time!!!!!!!!!
'I've had my fix, too much of it,
I'm losing track of time in 200 bars'
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Just got this from The Almighty Sound:
Hi Folks-

After over a year of toiling away on subpar mixing equipment, the NEW 5.1 Surround Sound Mix of '2001: A Spiritualized Odyssey' is nearly finished and we're looking for fans of the film that have 5.1 surround sound home theaters to beta test the mix. We are very excited about the quality of the new mix, but need to be certain that it is perfect before we let it go. Send us a message if you'd be interested in getting a copy to evaluate for us. We'll be selecting a few fans to send advance copies of to test on your home theater for us, and we'll come up with a unique way to thank anyone that participates and/or responds to this special request. E-mail us for further details at pxl@thealmightysound.com.

Also, a huge 'thank you' to all of you for first contacting us, for all of your help and kind words, your patience as the project rolls on, and for helping to spread the word of this project anyway that you have thus far. It means the world to us that anybody cared about the film at all, let alone as much as all of you people have. We passed 50,000 downloads and 85,000 YouTube views in large part to you all, and for that we are eternally grateful.

We hope to hear from you all and that this correspondence finds you well. Take care and God bless.

PXL
The Almighty Sound
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

toomilk wrote:In the case that you make a believer out of someone watching this with you......

2001: A Spiritualized Odyssey Tracklist:

Ladies and Gentlemen We are Floating in Space (Elvis Mix)
Electric Phase
All of My Tears
On Fire
If I Were With Her Now
-part of the end of the album cut of "Pure Phase"
Shine a Light
Won't Get to Heaven (The State I'm in)
Lay It Down Slow
No God Only Religion
Electricity (album)
Home of the Brave
The Individual
This Little Life of Mine
Rated X
I Didn't Mean to Hurt You
These Blues (album)
Amazing Grace (Peace on Earth)
Broken Heart (although it seems to be extended in the beginning to make it 8 mins long)
Lay Back in the Sun (uses only breakdown from single version)
Born Never Asked
Electric Mainline (album)
Lord Can You Hear Me
Cool Waves
Cheapster
Out of Sight
Good Times (from electric mainline)
Do It All Over Again (Evening Session)
Come Together (Evening Session)
I Think I'm in Love (album)
Feel Like Goin' Home
I'm trying to work out which song comes in which part right now... :lol: Hum... If I Were With Her Now could be the first "outer space" sequence. I'm definitely going to check this out.
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

"If I Were With Her Now" is actually the classic monolith scene. I was actually thinking about this particular song/scene last night. If anyone here hasn't seen it, I highly recommend doing so. I think it's still on youtube. It is a really great experience, especially getting the DVD straight from the Almighty Sound. The quality of the DVD was really good, so I'd imagine the 5.1 stereo version would be jaw-dropping.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

toomilk wrote:"If I Were With Her Now" is actually the classic monolith scene. I was actually thinking about this particular song/scene last night. If anyone here hasn't seen it, I highly recommend doing so. I think it's still on youtube. It is a really great experience, especially getting the DVD straight from the Almighty Sound. The quality of the DVD was really good, so I'd imagine the 5.1 stereo version would be jaw-dropping.
I think I'll watch it now. It would be really cool to have this on DVD.

I found this on Youtube and thought it was pretty cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f88NZ1sxWX0

EDIT: Two hours later I figure out that I should have been born in either the UK or the USA. Bloody Sony... :?
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

anyone have any luck?
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

bunnyben wrote:anyone have any luck?
Yep, I was lucky enough. :) Waiting patiently for my copy to arrive. Will let you peeps know how it sounds when it arrives. 8)
olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

If anyone is interested in how they came up with the 5.1 mix:
AUDIO PRODUCTION NOTES:
The Almighty Sound do not have access to the raw or master stems of Spiritualized's music. As such, we had to create a way to make a surround sound score that was possible and had the possibility of sounding decent. What we did was actually fairly simple; we tripled the original stereo score into multiple tracks dedicated to three of the channels available in surround sound mixing (front mains, rear surrounds, and LFE (subwoofer, Low Frequency Effects). The center channel was used sparingly and only for special effects, i.e. dialogue, and telephone vocals. The LFE/subwoofer channel's crossover was set at the Dolby Digital standard consumer frequency of 180hz, and the rear channels have been treated with a light touch of reverb.

During the film, in fact right from the beginning of the music, you'll notice volume levels in those channels (Center ,Front, Rear, LFE) raising and lowering. This is the effect that we've chosen to work with as our main tool; push/pull volume, mainly in the rear channels, to create and match the dynamic intensity that occurs naturally in the music. How much to raise and lower during each section of each song was all guesswork, but we feel that we've made the audio the best that we can without investing copious amounts of money into gear for our studio.