Paul Weller/Primal Scream

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Gruff
Known user

Paul Weller/Primal Scream

Post by Gruff »

Ok, terribly unfashionable to have any sort o finterest in Paul Weller, but...

Have just bought 22 Dreams by Paul Weller. I like his early solo stuff, but find it impossible to get away from the fact that just about everything since Heavy Soul (which is patchy at best) has been devoid of a chorus or anything other than a virtually monotone verse tune. 22 Dreams I had heard was a return to form (haven't all his albums since Heavy Soul been billed as such?), but shyed away from buying it. Bought it in Sainsburys for £4 yesterday. I'm finding it... ok. Just a continuation of the same. Bit bland, boring and lacking oopmh in the chorus and a tune.

And on a separate matter-he looks like a real knobhead prick in the recent photos-all dressed up like some sort of tosser fashionista, which I guess his critics always said anyway.

Maybe I'm just cathcing up with them.

On a different matter again, I didn't buy the latest Primals album either (Beautiful Future)-apparently it is their pop album? Don't like the idea and haven;t liked much since XTRMTR, which I loved. Thought Riot city was slightly underratted (albeit Country girl sucks, when the bomb drops sounds like U2, and litle death like CHris de Burgh on acid), as the last three are really good trck IMO. Is the new one worth it? ...for £4?
When the hand points to the moon only the fool looks at the finger
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Re: Paul Weller/Primal Scream

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

I thought (excitedly) from the subject text, that this was going to be a maths equation...

Paul Weller (pW)
divided by (/)
Primal Scream (pS)
or

pW/pS = ______

I'll get on it regardless.
Shoulders back, smash it
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I think the general consensus here is that the new Scream isn't too good. Personally, I dig some of the tracks quite a bit, but overall it's not much compared to XTRMNTR, which I also love. 4 GBP is probably a pretty fair deal, though, even if you wind up only liking five or six of the songs.
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

I found loads of copies of As Is Now in the pound shop for (unsuprisingly) £1 (each). Now that's a bargain!
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
The Kwisatz Haderach
Known user

Post by The Kwisatz Haderach »

paul weller is crap
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

both of them peaked in the nineties.. but since then.. maybe one good track for every year?
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
Kowalski
Known user

Post by Kowalski »

Uptown on the last Primal Scream album is the best thing they've done for 10 years.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Gruff wrote: On a different matter again, I didn't buy the latest Primals album either (Beautiful Future)-apparently it is their pop album? Don't like the idea and haven;t liked much since XTRMTR, which I loved. Thought Riot city was slightly underratted (albeit Country girl sucks, when the bomb drops sounds like U2, and litle death like CHris de Burgh on acid), as the last three are really good trck IMO. Is the new one worth it? ...for £4?
It's worth much more than that - £4 is a bargain. It's great - total feel good hit of the (last) summer!

I think all their are albums are pop to some extent...so in this regard this album is similar to the others.

To me the likes of Evil Heat is just a bunch of pop songs filtered through some mad productions. What is not...pop?

With you on 'Uptown' being classic Kowaski.

I got the 'Uptown' Weatherall/Holmes mixes record at their Glasgow gig - very special indeed!!
O P 8
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

BzaInSpace wrote: What is not...pop?
Exactly Bizum
Shoulders back, smash it
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

Weller can be forgiven all his sins since The Jam, purely because of the brilliance of aforementioned group. And there are quite a few solo gems...

Got to meet him backstage when he toured Australia last year, and I was expecting him to be quite a tosser, but (just like when I first met Jason) was extremely surprised to find him rather agreeable and accommodating (this was after the show, mind you - he was a ball of stress beforehand).

And bloody hell is that band of his one extremely tight unit...
. . . heligoland . . .
29.11.07 mécanique ondulatoire, paris // 16.01.08 divan du monde, paris