dogntank

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Gruff
Known user

dogntank

Post by Gruff »

Only just seen a cd by them-anyone know if it's any good?

Am very tempted anyway as I love Doggen's playing-hard, fast, choppy and screachy. Perfect, everything a guitar should do. Though not so keen on the totally fuzzy sound he sometimes uses for chorded work.
When the hand points to the moon only the fool looks at the finger
Fede77
Known user

Re: dogntank

Post by Fede77 »

I bought it the last year after reading a good review in a famous italian music magazine; I listened to it more times and I found it quite good, but (let me say) nothing new. The 12 songs are sometimes very heavy, sometimes hard rock, sometimes pop...you can listen good songs but at the end of the cd you feel it very close to Black Sabbath's stuff.
You know that Doggen worked and works with a lot of different musicians (first Guns'd' Roses, Six by Seven, Neil Young cover band, Spiritualized...) and he's a clever guitarist. He decided to do his solo-album...he doesn't have a particular voice, but he sing and he plays guitar very fast...but if you're a fans of Spacemen 3 I think is difficult that you fall in love for this album. Tried may it could be better for you.

I've been doing the same thing of a lot of Spiritualized fans:
I bought Spring Heel Jack because John Coxon works in, but I'm not skilled in jazz,
I bought Dogntank, but I don't like hard-rock
I bought EAR's albums, but I can't understand that music, loud...
But in the end I start to listen different kind of musics and this is a good things.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

Fede77 wrote: I've been doing the same thing of a lot of Spiritualized fans:
I bought Spring Heel Jack because John Coxon works in, but I'm not skilled in jazz,
I bought Dogntank, but I don't like hard-rock
I bought EAR's albums, but I can't understand that music, loud...
But in the end I start to listen different kind of musics and this is a good things.
Isn't it wonderful the musical maps and routes you carve out by going off on little tangents...
Not a truer word spoken Fede

Bless,

Stuart
Shoulders back, smash it
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Ther album is good. I'm a big fan of Copey's recent albums and DognTank's is in a similar vein. Heavy Sabbath-esque rock indeed, but its bloody good. Shows Doggen's talents very well... i just LOVE his guitar playing!!! 8) 8)

And can i just add, the Magic Lantern album and the White Hills live album (NYC knitting factory show) are fuckin fantabuloustic!!!!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Laz69 wrote:And can i just add, the Magic Lantern album and the White Hills live album (NYC knitting factory show) are fuckin fantabuloustic!!!!
Of course. There are actually 2 Magic Lantern albums - High Beams beaing the better. That last track is utterly insane - like Sunburned Hand of the Man with the intensity turned up. I love that White Hills too - the drumming is tremendous.

By the way Laz - The Heads Relaxing With is due for a reissue with fabulous artwork and piccies. I am hoping for an extra disc of other stuff too. Exciting, eh?
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

excellent news... anything on the live front for The Heads? I have "Relaxing With.." on CD already, and i'm having to very carefully watch what i spend, so i'm picking and choosing my CDs very carefully...

...and it is Magic Lantern's "High Beams" album i've been listening too! Top stuff! 8)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Nothing live planned so far. Last year was as busy as they've been for ages. I do know they've been working hard on new stuff though so an album is happening at some point although you know how slow they are! Could be 2010 before it appears...

There's talk of this reissued Relaxing With having Peel sessions, early live stuff and other bits on a bonus disc.