vinyl pressing

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

vinyl pressing

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm looking to do a 10" with my new band, but am having a hard time figuring out which pressing place I want to go with. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

So far, I'm on the fence about Pirate's Press (essentially a broker for GZ in the Czech Republic), as I've heard mixed reviews about them recently. I've used URP (United Record Pressing) in the past for 7-inches, but I'd like a higher quality pressing this time around. I contacted RecordPressing.com three times and never got a response.
flamingrev
Known user

Re: vinyl pressing

Post by flamingrev »

I'm kinda new to the vinyl thing, and I've been wondering, what's the deal with 10"s?

Aren't there a lot of singles and eps that are just pressed on 12" with a lot of space at the end?

Is this just a way to save money on materials?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

10-inches are a bit cheaper to press than 12-inches. It's just the right size for the amount of material we have, too. Radiohead issued both Kid A and Amnesiac on double-10" vinyl (45rpm). I believe the original issue of Magical Mystery Tour was on double 10", too.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

i've got a few sites bookmarked. unfortunately i know nothing about them as i've never had enough money to press to vinyl. i really like the look of rainbow records, but it says absolutely nothing about pressing 10 inches on their site. i also found this site- http://www.trutone.com/2007/vinyl_record.html. i've never heard anything about them, but they do 10" packages. unfortunately they are nearly exactly the same as their 12" prices. the prices include mastering, but you have to pay $5 per extra minute per side for 10" sides over 9 minutes.
have you checked out aardvark mastering? they seem to be really good for mastering for vinyl- i think it might even be possible that you could have them master it seperately (i've heard that they will do a better job for the same amount of money) and then you'd be able to save some money on the package price, possibly. the prices seem very fair to me. http://www.aardvarkmastering.com.
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

Yeah, I saw those Radiohead 10"s.

I guess that's just an aesthetic decision.
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Awesome. Thanks, Kyle. We're most likely going with Bill Smith and it's going to be a 12" translucent (probably blue or red).
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

TheWarmth wrote:Awesome. Thanks, Kyle. We're most likely going with Bill Smith and it's going to be a 12" translucent (probably blue or red).
And of course, once it's ready you'll have to let us all know where and when we can get our hands on it!
. . . heligoland . . .
29.11.07 mécanique ondulatoire, paris // 16.01.08 divan du monde, paris
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yes, for sure! We're going to begin tracking the last song this weekend. I'll keep you guys posted.

Also, one of our (not-so-active) forumite's bands is doing a remix for us, so I'm really excited about that.
nikster
New user

Post by nikster »

I have been looking/researching vinyl pressing and I have found this local company for myself http://www.hdc.uk.com/vinyl_pressing.shtml Going to see them next week as I am also thinking of a 10". Would love a picture disc or coloured vinyl :-)